gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:00:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Album: Star Map by Jared Lekites [Free Stream]  (Read 3063 times)
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »

Hi all. It's been a while since I last checked in here, but since then, I have completed my first full-length album Star Map. There's a lot of Beach Boys influence, particularly in the title track, but I think there's a lot more of me in here than anything I have done in the past.

Stream the whole album for free or downloaded any format at BandCamp:
http://jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/album/star-map

More info on my music, further reviews, videos and pics can be found on my official press kit site:
http://www.jivewired.com/jaredlekites

If you would like a physical copy of Star Map, feel free to message me on here and I'll fill you in on details.
You can also find it on iTunes, if you prefer downloading directly to your smartphone or device.

Happy listening!
Jared

EDIT:
Here are some of the reviews Star Map has received so far:
Quote from: Under The Tangerine Tree
Jared writes songs that are covered with pure magic. Can we put it in the top ranks of the heirs of the great poet, Brian Wilson’s Pet Sounds? Yes, we CAN, definitely... “Too Far Gone” has a melody in the verse straight out of The Beach Boys’ Today!, and The tremendous uptempo beat requires the listener to hit the replay button with no Resistance. The title track displays staggering genius in its structural, sensational and sudden changes of weather and climate. Jared lays out timeless fairy tales for teenagers and that, to paraphrase the natural synthesis of ‘Teenage symphonies to God ‘, makes “Rainy Day” and the moving “For Lack Of A Better Heart” my personal favorites on the entire disc… Star Map, as far as I'm concerned, is the best album of 2012 in the ‘Wilsonesque’ category and, perhaps, the best ever to date.

Quote from: Pop Geek Heaven
Twenty years ago the Beach Boys seemed consigned to the oldies rack yet today their sound is experiencing the type of revolution that the Beatles have inspired since their inception. It’s taken pop a while to catch up with Brian Wilson style music because it’s more complex than certain Beatles riffs. Count Oklahoma’s Jared Lekites as one of the cannier innovators in this tradition. “Too Far Gone” has the ear-worm form of The Knickerbockers meet the Beach Boys while “Star Map” is a more overt tribute, beginning as acoustic West Coast folk/rock before shifting up into pure surf. ”Nepenthe” is an XTC-like melody with a sweet bridge and Lekites’ guitar recalls Curtains 4 You’s liquid lead guitarist ”Along the Lives of Love” dips into John Prine/Leonard Cohen territory and Lekites brings a touch of Tulsa twang to such songs as “If You Aint Lonely” and “For Lack of a Better Heart.” “Girl Don’t Tell Me” melds Hollies and Beach Boys and is as good as Jeff Foskett’s “Through My Window.” Which makes it as good as any number of Beach Boys songs. Four stars.
Quote from: JiveWired
Lekites has certainly perfected the 1960s California retro-pop sound. Star Map is a lesson in poignant and majestic melodies which makes for a quick listen. That is to say, there is nothing on this CD that weighs it down. Even Along The Lines Of Love, which clocks in at over five minutes, comes nowhere near the over-extended-my-stay stage. Frankly, it's the best song on this disc, and Lekites avoids redundant chorus structure and the ever-repetitive fade out, common mistakes among other artists who attempt to pen pop standards that exceed the industry-standard 3m 30s time frame for this genre. In my opinion, Lekites is Brian Wilson light, or maybe even Brian Wilson incarnate, at least as far as style and substance is concerned, if not song writing ability, and this song best exemplifies that revelation. I know that's a strong declaration. Lekites lives up to that promise.
Quote from: The Mixtape Jones Radio Show
It's totally excusable to ape Brian Wilson when you're aping him THIS WELL. [Star Map Part Two] is imaginative, compositionally brilliant, and executed perfectly...and all in a little bedroom studio. Jared's music helps me realize what's possible in terms of making music completely independently. Brilliance will always come through, even without record labels, mainstream radio or any of that biz.
Quote from: Absolute Powerpop
"Too Far Gone", with some nice harmonies from K.C. Clifford, is a pop delight with that California sound, while "Star Map" wouldn't sound out of place on Brian Wilson's "Smile". "Along the Lines of Love" is a gorgeous piano-based ballad, "For Lack of a Better Heart" reminds me of an old Joe South tune, and "Girl Don't Tell Me" makes nice use of Laurie Biagini on vocals to sound like a lost 60s classic.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:54:44 PM by JaredLekites » Logged

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »

I should add that, as per usual, I would love to hear your feedback, if any.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:10:53 PM »

I'll listen tonight, ill do a track by track Smiley

(return the favor on the fourth?)

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »

Too Far Gone- I love this track's BW influence, very nice vocals!

Star Map- Very SMiLE-esque! Reminds me of "Black Sheep" in a way! I love it!

Nepenthe- Sounds a bit like REM! Nice, but not as good as the last two songs.

ATLOL- The synths/percussion in the back are sick! and the vocal, when it goes falsetto I MELTED. It's really great!

IYAL- The low point for me at this point, it's not bad, but not my style Razz

FLOABH- A bit modern sounding, I like it, but it can't match the beginning for me!

Rainy Day- SYNTH!!! OH MY GOD!!! I love it! Sounds like Brian just walked in and jammed with you!

GDTM- A nice cover, I noticed the price, I have a similar problem with covers Tongue Really nice!

DLMN - If Later-Dennis and Early-Brian collab-ed  this is what it'd expect to hear.

SM p2 - A cool idea, not as good as 1 to me :D

Bought and Sold - A nice final track, nice and clean, lots of feeling. AND THAT ENDING HAHAHA!!!!

Great album, i'm gonna grab some of it on iTunes!

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »

I'll listen tonight, ill do a track by track Smiley

(return the favor on the fourth?)
Thanks for the very nice comments.
I will be sure to get a track-by-track for your new release. I am working on Independence Day but I'll get to it as soon as I can.
Funny (to me, anyway) that you picked up so much Beach Boys influence throughout. I guess they're fairly omnipresent even when I don't intend for them to be.

Most of 'If You Ain't Lonely' was born out of improvisation. I wanted a nice rocker to break things up a bit so I just came up with some chords and started singing lyrics off the top of my head. A few overdubs later and it was done.

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »

SM p2 - A cool idea, not as good as 1 to me :D

Funny - I'm leaning more towards this version though both sound great.

Congratulations on the album, Jared.  Smiley I've streamed a few of the songs and there's some good stuff on there. The two Star Map songs, Nepenthe and Rainy Day are the ones that I liked the most. The Girl Don't Tell Me cover is also really cool - I dig the fuzzy indie-pop sound you (and Laurie) got on it.

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »

I bought a few songs off your album some days ago Jared - makes for very cool listening!  Smiley Too Far Gone and the two versions of Star Map are my favourites.

Just out of curiosity - to me, your songs have a cool retro-sounding and fuzzy, low-fi kind of sound. Is that intentional or more to do with limitations in your recording set-up? I like the sound a lot but was just wondering how much you'd gone for that approach on purpose?

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »

I bought a few songs off your album some days ago Jared - makes for very cool listening!  Smiley Too Far Gone and the two versions of Star Map are my favourites.

Just out of curiosity - to me, your songs have a cool retro-sounding and fuzzy, low-fi kind of sound. Is that intentional or more to do with limitations in your recording set-up? I like the sound a lot but was just wondering how much you'd gone for that approach on purpose?
Thanks very much! I am glad you are enjoying them.

It's more or less a mix of both. While some of it was made on digital multi-track or edited with software, most of it was recorded using vintage tape machines from various decades. The slapback echo was created using a Webcor tape recorder head from the late 50s. The reverb was created by using natural rooms. The drums were recorded with only one or two mics at a time.

There was definitely an effort put forth to create that vintage sound though.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »

This is very well done, Jared.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:29:25 PM »

Hey everyone.

To celebrate the New Year, the entire Star Map album is available for download for just 2 US dollars. Limited time only!

http://jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/releases

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx