gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:51:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Standing Up VS Sitting Down  (Read 6195 times)
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »

I apologize if this has already been a topic at some point (I'm sure it has), but I just wanted to know what other Smiley Smiler's opinions are on standing and sitting during the concerts. My friend and I both attended last night's show in Boston. Each of us went with our own group of friends and had seats in two different sides of the pavilion. BOTH of us encountered some of the most rude and irrational people I have seen in a very long time. It seemed as though everyone in the pavilion was standing for the first 7 songs, until "Please Let Me Wonder", when people slowly started to plop down. My group of friends and I remained standing during the entire show, as well as many other people around us whom we did not know. The same goes for my friend on the other side of the pavilion. As I looked around, it appeared that everyone (including me) who was standing knew all of the lyrics to every song. They were bouncing around and having a great time singing along to Marcella, Cottonfields, Disney Girls, California Saga, Sail On Sailor etc... At one point, this man behind us, out of nowhere, flipped. Very rude. "Hey assholes, you think you could sit the hell down?", he yelled. My friend turned around and said very politely, "No, I'm sorry".  Never mind the fact that the people in front of us were standing as well. My friend on the other side of the pavilion had it a little bit worse. The guy they had to deal with was completely irate, to the point where security had to come over and speak to him.

Here's my theory: If you've been standing up, and you choose to sit down when a certain song comes on, I think it's safe to assume that you have little to no interest in that specific song; therefore you should not be upset if you cannot see because of people standing in front of you.

Again, I'm sure there's no right or wrong answer. It's just a matter of opinion.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »

If someone asks you to sit down, it's really rude not to. They are having a problem seeing, and they paid too. It doesn't matter how politely you say no, it's wrong. You're affecting someone else's concert experience in a negative way.

At my second show (Camden two weeks ago), I was surrounded by a lot of rude and drunk people. There was a group of two, a middle aged guy and a woman in her 20s. There was a family of three behind them, one of which was a little girl. She was really small. The group of two were standing throughout,  and refused to sit down. The little girl and her father could not see what was going on. Eventually, people around them noticed their situation and helped them get a seat elsewhere. But that shouldn't ever happen.

Myself, I do like standing for some of it, especially during the stretch of hits at the end.....but for a song like Please Let Me Wonder, or I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, I'd much rather soak it in from a seated position.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »

There are many people who, because of age or disability, are not able to stand for the entirety of a concert. Given the BB demographic, I would say this describes a large part of their audience.

I was also at the Boston show and saw a sizable number of people in wheelchairs and with other serious mobility limitations. Would you have kept standing in front of these folks too? How do you know you weren't?

I, personally, prefer to sit so I can actually listen to and concentrate on the music and performance. That is how I show my appreciation.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:06:17 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:32:11 PM »

Many concerts I have been to have a standing area close to the stage and seating further back (like Jazz Fest and Bonaroo setups I guess) That suits both groups.

I'm of the opinion if it is a all seated venue it is fine to stand if that is what everyone is doing. The reverse should happen for the slower songs.

What gets me are those who talk, telephone, walk around or arrive late.

To those here who have missed the opening numbers. If a touring party of 40, including 60 and 70 year olds can turn up on time, why can't you? Angry
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »

Well, they were young, they shouldn't have a problem standing. However, standing for a few hours is hard for older folks. I'm ony 41 but have heart disease and have had a heart attack and standing for more than ten minutes makes me out of breath and dizzy.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »

I think the band likes to see the audience standing, but sitting is not necessarily a bad thing. You're right that if people are sitting, it LOOKS like they're not interested. But that's not always the case. I sat for the whole time tonight and enjoyed everything. No one in my section was standing, and I was too shy to be the only one. Plus I thought it would be inconsiderate to the seated people behind me. And also I was with my 75-year-old father, who is not decrepit but would prefer not to stand for 2.5 hours.

I went to one show where my sister and I wanted to dance so we went to the side of the venue. At another one, a friend and I just stood, but if someone had complained, we would have sat down. Not everyone can stand/is tall enough to see over standers.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »

Any band with Brian Wilson in it can't be mad when the crowd doesn't stand!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 05:17:50 AM »

I prefer to be seated myself though I'm not averse to getting on my feet to show my appreciation or when the faster numbers kick-in.

When John Martyn was alive, his smaller shows were great cos everyone sat and actually listened to the music – sat on the floor, as there usually wasn't any seating.  Aye, bloody hippies…   !   But the atmosphere was so much better for it.

Anyone stands and blocks my view without permission at the London shows better watch out!  Evil

“We live in divisive times.”
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 06:15:16 AM »

Concert prices have become extremely high.  I'd prefer to use the seat I paid my hard-earned money for and see the performer, not someone's back.  I'd also rather soak in the performers' singing, not the singing of Joe Schmuck sitting beside/behind me.   

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 06:28:21 AM »

There are many people who, because of age or disability, are not able to stand for the entirety of a concert. Given the BB demographic, I would say this describes a large part of their audience.

I was also at the Boston show and saw a sizable number of people in wheelchairs and with other serious mobility limitations. Would you have kept standing in front of these folks too? How do you know you weren't?

I, personally, prefer to sit so I can actually listen to and concentrate on the music and performance. That is how I show my appreciation.

No, neither of us were standing in front of people with wheelchairs.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 06:42:05 AM »

… though you might have been stood in front of folk with bad backs or other reasons why they couldn't spend the whole show on their feet. As mentioned above, the BBs fan demographic implies there'd be a few oldsters there… blimey, I might have to count myself in that bracket these days…!

“We live in divisive times.”
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 08:31:04 AM »

I prefer to sit, but sometimes feel compelled to stand when Bruce Johnston comes out from behind his keyboard and pleads with me to.  Almost like the Devil made me do it kinda thing...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »

I don't mind following the herd and doing my part to be a team player when I'm in an audience, but I wish people would make up their minds. Up down up down. Do one or the other. Wanna sit during Surfer Girl? Fine that makes sense. But if your legs get tired mid-"Little Honda" that's your problem, Pops. I'm stayin' up, dammit.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »

What we need is Dennis Wilson to urge the crowd to get to their feet about halfway through the show, the way he always did. I suspect a virtual version of DW could be arranged.  LOL

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »

You can stand up if you want to. You can do anything you want.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »

What we need is Dennis Wilson to urge the crowd to get to their feet about halfway through the show, the way he always did. I suspect a virtual version of DW could be arranged.  LOL

Like the Tupac hologram at Coachella!
Arturo Bandini
Smiley Smile Associate

"If you live with wolves you will learn to howl."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »

STAAAAAAAAAAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »

In the bathroom at a Beach Boys concert, I prefer to stand if it's just a #1. I prefer to sit if it's a #2, though those paper things are just so...slippery.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 04:04:24 PM »

I've encountered this problem at sporting events as well - with a concert it's a little different, as there aren't always obvious "standing" moments, but all in all I'd say that if everyone else is standing, then, by all means, stand.  If others want to sit and you're blocking their view, it's impolite to decline their request (whether made nicely or not) for you to sit. 
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »

Great post! I get really pumped up during the concerts and want to stand the whole show. I've been rudely assaulted so many times! Even about 2 months ago at the reunion show! Maybe 3 songs in. Several people going absolutely nuts screaming at me to sit down! I was about 7 or 8 rows back from the stage. It's a horrible feeling people being so rude to you. I "respectfully" sat but it really was shocking to me. It's The Beach Boys and a concert! How can you sit during CATCH A WAVE or DONT BACK DOWN Etc.....A few years back I had this old guy come up to me and snapped. He grabbed the back of my neck. He wanted to like fight me. The outdoor shows are the BEST because everyone stands the whole show and you dont have to deal with the Brian Wilson type jerk fans (not all of them obviously but you can point them out) or the miserable older people. Im a very fun positive person just looking to have an amazing time. I dont know why negative grumpy people even go to these shows.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »

I sat and stood, but I turned around to make sure everyone behind me was up too.

I'm 6' 1'' So either way i'm blocking them.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:16 PM »

The outdoor shows are the BEST because everyone stands the whole show and you dont have to deal with the Brian Wilson type jerk fans (not all of them obviously but you can point them out) or the miserable older people. Im a very fun positive person just looking to have an amazing time.

I sat throughout the greater part of Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin. At Massey Hall. Stoically still. Because I wanted to soak it all in and not leap about like a jackazz teenager. You sound like a real piece of ah, work.

Here's the drill Excitable Boy in Paradise - crowds have their own gestalt. They rise, they fall, they respond to the nuance of the performance. I'm not sitting to watch Bad Religion, but I'm sure gonna sit and admire the beauty of Please Let Me Wonder. And yes, when it's time to rawk - we will get up. And rawk. Very simple.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »

Here's my theory: If you've been standing up, and you choose to sit down when a certain song comes on, I think it's safe to assume that you have little to no interest in that specific song; therefore you should not be upset if you cannot see because of people standing in front of you.

Again, I'm sure there's no right or wrong answer. It's just a matter of opinion.

I've had this problem many times.  I'm actually concerned about it since I'm going on Saturday to the Michigan show and I expect to be surrounded by a bunch of old folks who will want me to sit down.

I saw Bob Dylan a couple years ago and we stood up when he came on stage.  During the first song the lady behind me nails me with her purse on the back of my neck, ordering I sit down.  I complied because, if this happens during the first song, it's going to be a long night otherwise.  So I watched other people stand, dance, and enjoy themselves all night.

At Tom Petty, a lady would complain "it'd be nice if I could see" over and over in our ears.  Mind you, she was in a suite one row behind us and was much more elevated and with a lot more space to move around.  Everyone in our entire section was standing.  I wasn't just us.

If someone asks you to sit down, it's really rude not to. They are having a problem seeing, and they paid too. It doesn't matter how politely you say no, it's wrong. You're affecting someone else's concert experience in a negative way.

I disgaree because the original poster said the people in front of him were standing.  If he sat down like the person behind him was demanding, then now HE wouldn't be able to see the concert he attended.  We saw Ray Davies a couple summers ago at an outdoor festival wih folding chairs.  EVERYBODY was standing except the people behind US who would kick our folding chairs into the back of my wife and my legs.  Mind you, these aren't assigned seats and they could easily move.  There was no WAY I was going to sit down and stare at the asses of the people in front of me so I could be as miserable as the dudes behind me.  (Point being: If we sat down, the folks behind us STILL wouldn't have been able to see.)  Flat surface.  Not elevated.

I sat throughout the greater part of Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin. At Massey Hall. Stoically still. Because I wanted to soak it all in and not leap about like a jackazz teenager. You sound like a real piece of ah, work.

People dancing at shows are "jackazz teenagers"?  Wow..  You're not a cranky geezer at ALL!    LOL

I don't mind following the herd and doing my part to be a team player when I'm in an audience, but I wish people would make up their minds. Up down up down. Do one or the other. Wanna sit during Surfer Girl? Fine that makes sense. But if your legs get tired mid-"Little Honda" that's your problem, Pops. I'm stayin' up, dammit.

I'm with you 100%.  I'll sit if that's what others are doing, but I won't tell the person in front of me to sit down.  It's not my place to hamper their enjoyment of the show.  But if the person behind me wants me to sit while the people in front of me are standing, no way sir.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:20:34 PM by TV Forces » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

Sorry, duplicate post.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:13:09 PM by TV Forces » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »

Sorry, duplicate post.