gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:59:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All unreleased albums??  (Read 16114 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 05:20:49 AM »

Yeah, Laz, here's what Gaines sez about it on page 126 (although it's unclear whether he meant late 1964 or early 1965, given the context of the rest of the paragraph - but seeing as how Brian's famous nervous breakdown en route to Houston is a few pages later, probably '64):

As the calendar year of 1964 ended, their seventh album, The Beach Boys, hurtled almost straight to the number 1 position.

That's all he said about it. The only thing I can think of is he meant Beach Boys Concert, which was the last album the Beach Boys put out in 1964 (the Christmas album pre-dates it by a few months), and it did go to #1. However, if you count the Christmas album, it's not their seventh, so I dunno...

Oh...you wanna read a real hoot? Dig what Gaines wrote about The Beach Boys Today!:

The increased polish and depth of his production techniques showed clearly. However, the album was not one of Brian's best works, consisting mostly of a mélange of uninspired car tunes and even a comedy cut with the voice of Earl Leaf discussing kosher pickles.

I must have a badly-mastered CD (and vinyl, come to think of it) because my copy doesn't have any car tunes are comedy cuts!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »

They're so uninspired you can't even tell they're car songs!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »

"Carnival" is a total waste, actually... nothing but filler.  It's the Boys singing a bad rendition of an old tune (which I can't remember the name of), layered with loads of phasing.  That's it.  It's about fifty seconds long.

Actually I think it's supposed to be an experimental piece. It's all about the strange sound effects. If you listen to it standing right between the stereo speakers the stereo phasing effect feels like you're going round and round and round in a carousel / merry-go-round. That's why they chose this melody to it. It's definitely worth checking out. It you happen to get it in mono - not worth listening then.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx