gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680850 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:57:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blondie singing Wild Honey live  (Read 4416 times)
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »

Idk how rare this is or even when and where it was but i just found this video of Blondie singing Wild Honey with the Beach Boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdY8Gto8F-w
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »

Ugh. It's a shame about this song. The studio version's a killer little track and the backing vocals are good but Carl's vocal is terribly forced. I can't listen to it...I think it's the worst vocal Carl Wilson ever sang.

Sadly, Blondie doesn't do much better.  Grating vocal.

Could've been a classic if they had lowered it or let someone else sing it. I don't know.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:09 PM »

The board has a search function that works great for things like finding out where a clip is from etc...
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5408.0.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:25:09 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:26:04 PM »

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »

Ugh. It's a shame about this song. The studio version's a killer little track and the backing vocals are good but Carl's vocal is terribly forced. I can't listen to it...I think it's the worst vocal Carl Wilson ever sang.

Could've been a classic if they had lowered it or let someone else sing it. I don't know.

It sounds like a real mother f*cker to sing.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

lways wondered why Ed Carter started on bass on WH and finished with a guitar solo.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 03:36:54 AM »

It sounds like a real mother f***er to sing.

It is. I sang it with my band. I don't agree that Carl's vocal sounds forced. He really did a great job on that song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 04:53:26 AM »

I believe that Carl was purposely straining to add a little bit of edge to the song. I don't doubt he could have sung this motherf[i[/i]ucker like a choir-boy if he so desired, but he didn't because the song just doesn't call for that type of vocal.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »

Really? I LOVE Carl's singing throughout Wild Honey, he really cuts loose and goes for it! I love that he was allegedly dancing around the room as he sang it - you can tell! Cracking vocal!
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 05:50:01 AM »

The board has a search function that works great for things like finding out where a clip is from etc...
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5408.0.html

this is all i got when i searched

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=search2
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 12:29:22 AM »

Here it is in better quality plus "Do It Again" and "Help Me, Rhonda" (with Carl on lead!!!  Maybe Al was hoarse that day.  But it sounds awesome).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmYn0Ahgb8

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »

lways wondered why Ed Carter started on bass on WH and finished with a guitar solo.

That clip is edited. The guitar solo at the end may very well be from an entirely different song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »

I certainly hope that they put a live version of "Wild Honey" on the upcoming box set featuring Blondie on lead vocal. It definitely warrants a proper release.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »

I certainly hope that they put a live version of "Wild Honey" on the upcoming box set featuring Blondie on lead vocal. It definitely warrants a proper release.

I concur!  I'd also love good quality releases of stuff like "It's A New Day" and "Hard Times" as well but with he and Ricky's non-involvement with the reunion, and the fact that they're both still alive makes me think I shouldn't hold my breath for any of them.  Cry
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 02:12:36 AM »

I generelly love Blondie and Ricky's overall contributions to the group but have to admit I definitely prefer Carl's original lead vocal on this song.

That said, I'd love to see the entire concert one day. Been fascinated by the Carl and the Passions phase for quite a few years. Unfortunately, Dennis seems a little lost on stage here but he was sporting an incredibly cool look around that time. Did he get to sing one of his own songs that day?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 02:47:36 AM »

I generelly love Blondie and Ricky's overall contributions to the group but have to admit I definitely prefer Carl's original lead vocal on this song.

Carl did a cool version in Madison Square Garden '76.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »

On that tour-Dennis sang his unreleased song "I've Got a Friend."
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »

blondie singing wild honey from the single rejected 73 live lp rocks. hope it sees an official release soon. before mine went up in smoke i could listen to a few songs. i had a test pressing but it was warped to hell and back. but i could listen to some of it. if the group played it the same in london then the tv company clipped a lot of the song out during editing. the lp version is a lot longer.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »

blondie singing wild honey from the single rejected 73 live lp rocks. hope it sees an official release soon. before mine went up in smoke i could listen to a few songs. i had a test pressing but it was warped to hell and back. but i could listen to some of it. if the group played it the same in london then the tv company clipped a lot of the song out during editing. the lp version is a lot longer.

Sounds like it would have been a really cool Listen

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »

it was...  Wink

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: