gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:14:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Downer Wife/Girlfriend Hubby/Boyfriend Comments  (Read 28524 times)
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »

the latest from my now ex-gf when talking about the new tour -

" But, aren't they all dead? ".

Im finally glad we broke up.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »

Last year I used to jam with a couple of people (I can't say they were my friends because I disliked them so much!), but I told my guitar player/John Lennon enthusiast about how great of an album Pet Sounds was. A friend of his had it, so he borrowed it, and when I asked him how what he thought of it, he said "I barely got through any of it. I only like Wouldn't It Be Nice, and even that's shitty". Make me dislike him a lot more than I would have if he would have said he liked it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »

Just a few months ago I put my Love You CD in as I was driving in my ex-girlfriend's convertible. After about 30 seconds into Roller Skating Child she ejected it and threw it out of the car. She said it creeped her out. I never forgave her for that.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »

Still, points for style. It's definitely the kind of style an ex has, tho.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »

I met my wife on this board, so I can't relate.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »

My ex-wife was introduced to BW via Sweet Insanity.

She was all like, "I don't know how anyone could listen to someone who sings like that", or something to that effect.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 10:44:25 PM »

Girlfriend hates them. the other night I was singing my son to sleep and she came in and said "Don't you know any songs besides the Beach Boys?" She mocks Jeffrey Foskett whenever she hears them; one time I played BWPS on a trip and she didn't talk to me at all after that, finally she told me it was because I had played 'The Beach Boys'. She laughs contemptuously whenever she hears Our Prayer. However, she actually owns a Phil Collins CD and not just any Phil Collins CD but Testify.

She is a fantastic woman otherwise, though.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:09 AM »

Let's face it, most of BW's singing beyond their classic work is for hardcore fans only. Many non-fans seem to think he sounds like Ozzy Osbourne and it's hard to argue with that (at least when it comes to his BW88/Sweet Insanity voice). And can you really expect non-hardcores enjoying stuff like Brian Wilson "re-recording his lost masterpiece" or BW singing "Bare Necessities"? I don't think so and in many ways it's all perfectly understandable. It's probably very hard to relate to any of that stuff if you're not at all interested in the person (as well as the personal drama) behind it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 12:58:58 AM »

I don't know anyone, lover or no, who likes the Beach Boys as much as I do. there will always be problems. thus is life.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:12 AM »

If my wife didn't like at least casually my music we wouldn't have bonded. Some she likes more than others but she's cool with it all and I try to be for her's too. I don't get attacking something that someone you love likes.

Because unfortunately most relationships are a competition.
That's sad. Glad it isn't like that for me, actually I suppose that's why I didn't marry until 36. Really to all of you single people on this thread nobody's gonna like your favorite music like you, but at least find someone who respects you and it enough to let you enjoy. That's my tip of the day Grin
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 01:32:47 AM »

The impression I get from this thread is that people are seeking approval from their loved ones to validate their love for BBs music - who gives a f*ck if they like it or not! Don't force it on people, if they give you back chat when you've got a tune on the car radio throw them out the car. It's their loss for being so dull and stupid...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 02:47:34 AM »

My ex always mocked me for liking them - but never bitched about it. I always mocked her about liking shitty musical theatre, so we were even.  Smiley

No-one's obviously going to share my obsession! Well, at least, the chances are slim. But people contain multitudes, after all.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 04:34:15 AM »

My wife is more of a casual Beach Boys fan, into the sun/surf/cars material more than Brian's melancholy and more artistic songs. Nothing wrong with that, Surfin' USA makes my toes tap as much as any song does. But it does mean she really didn't understand why I felt a need to buy BWPS on CD and then on vinyl, and then the concert DVD after attending a gig and getting hold of an unofficial DVD.

I remember sometime in 2005 after the dust had settled she said to me...."OK put on SMiLE. You've spent so much on it I should hear what it's all about".

We sat through it properly, from start to finish without interruptions.

"It's OK. I liked some of it. A bit strange. But you tend to like druggy music" was her verdict.

However she redeemed herself when we went to see Brian & his band in London last year. Came away saying it was far and away the best concert she'd ever attended.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 04:50:39 AM »

Here's one fopr you....My wife fell asleep at the Montreal show. Now I'm not talking nodded off, I mean lights out, dead to the world for at least three songs! In her defence, she didn't get much sleep the night before, and the drive was long, but come on, who does that? She has built up a strong tolerance for the BB's over the years, and she was impressed with the show (the part she was awake for).

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 05:27:13 AM »

You've got to wear 'em down! My now wife, then girlfriend, used to like waving her arms about like a maniac and shout "spiritual music man" in a slurred voice when the BB's were played, which is much of the time in my house. On listening to the Smile sessions vocal montage she said "well it's no wonder he went fuckin mental!" However through sheer persistence I believe she has come round a bit, she likes the Gershwin album a lot, sings along to the Disney album and does not object to TWGMTR. 
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 05:41:10 AM »

My girlfriend bought Pet Sounds, 20 Golden Greats and the Sunflower/Surf's Up 2fer because she wanted to get to know my favorite band. So no complaints here. Smiley
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 05:41:30 AM »

Just a few months ago I put my Love You CD in as I was driving in my ex-girlfriend's convertible. After about 30 seconds into Roller Skating Child she ejected it and threw it out of the car. She said it creeped her out. I never forgave her for that.
Love You should come with a spousal warning. When I put that one on mine pulls a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 05:53:55 AM »

Must be difficult for our ladies putting up with our passion for this group.

Interesting to see how many break-ups were BB-related.

By the way, AGD has a GREAT story on the first time he heard "Almost Summer". Hope he passes by and tells it!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
MBE
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 05:55:27 AM »

The impression I get from this thread is that people are seeking approval from their loved ones to validate their love for BBs music - who gives a f*ck if they like it or not! Don't force it on people, if they give you back chat when you've got a tune on the car radio throw them out the car. It's their loss for being so dull and stupid...
Damn automatic locks LOL
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 07:26:57 AM »

The Beach Boys haven't caused me much trouble, except the sort of "it sounds like unfinished fragments" sniffing re: Smile.

If there's a band that my insane fandom causes problems with Special Ladyfriends... it's The Residents. I had an ex that would literally burst into tears if they came on, with no explanation. Beat that!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 07:50:18 AM »

I don't think that's it. Your significant other is probably (in fact, hopefully) the person you see most consistently and if one likes to consistently play music then it is nice to have the person you're around like that music. Makes sense, no?
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:43 AM »

My wife doesn't get my love of Brian and the Boys.  She supports me and lets me buy vinyl and cds of stuff I already have, and t-shirts and concert tickets, etc...but she doesn't get my love for the music. She doesn't hate the music at all, just doesn't think it's super special.  

My parents don't get it either, and they grew up in the 60's (well, really more 70's I guess).  

My wife and parents often say things "did you know Brian Wilson is a musical genius," just to mock me, because I've told them that so many times.

I guess I just wasn't made for these times.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 08:18:32 AM »

Over in General Music Discussion, I told this breakup story about The Beatles and my crazy ex Caitlin:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13244.msg287201.html#msg287201
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »

My boyfriend hates them. To give you an idea, when he got all the songs from my itunes he deleted anything that had to do with them.

And you're still together why?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »

My current girlfriend is at least respectful and understanding of my BBs appreciation, which I think is fine, because it's not like I'm that into her music either. I appreciate it, but I don't go out of my way to listen to it. If you're not that into your girlfriend's music, then you can't really expect the same back from her. Of course, it's not like I complain when I go to a concert for a band she likes or whatever, or vice versa.

One of my exes was an absolutely unrepentant BBs music. She thought the BBs were gay and it was gay to like them. If only she knew that Mike tried it once and didn't even like it! In her mind, only screaming, generic metal punk could be masculine.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx