gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:01:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New song: Gone Fishin' (Instrumentalish)  (Read 1579 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

An early mix of the instrumental from my project, The Globe! Which started off fairly straightforward, but I got a bit curious and so slapped a bunch of weird sh*t I wouldn't normally do on it.

(if there are any mixing difficulties, just bear in mind the amount of effects I put on it completely cripples Cubase, so some of the mixing got a bit theoretical at points  LOL)

http://soundcloud.com/samblack-1/gone-fishin

Hope ya like it!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:25:51 AM »

Dude, you're a beast! Very impressed with this. How did you get that piano sound?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:39:19 AM »

Very cool. Reminds me of the avant-garde Fire/Cool Cool Water style Brian was going for in the mid sixties.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »

Thank you!

Seltaeb, the 'piano' is like, two pianos (one in an orchestral plugin effed up, the other a vst called 4front piano which sounds kinda cheesy in a honkytonk way, then put through some light phase), plus a harpsichord and a celesta from the plugin. I love experimenting with that sort of thing.

I was sorta writing a Pet Sounds-ish instrumental type and was going to arrange it the same way, but some quote from Lenny Waronker about those early WB productions - The Mojo Men, Harpers Bizarre - stuck in my craw when I was thinking "yeah, lets put some tambourine/slide guitar/strings on that piano track" : Take a good song, and make it weird. So I went elsewhere, which I'm very happy about.

Kinda worried my collaborator is going to think it's a little too weird and tell me to tone it down. But hell. I get worried I emulate BW too much, so slamming everything through a phase/ring modulators/delay is way to get around that. I kinda wanna avoid High Llamas syndrome, where he appears to work from a very small sonic palette and just slap every song with the same sh*t. It's still pretty BW, I know. But no-one's going to listen to it and say "Well, he's clearly ripping off Pet Sounds to the letter." (at least, I hope not  LOL)

Speaking of which, Egohanger - you writing anything at the mo?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:19:19 AM »

Very nice. Sounds good through my crappy laptop, so must be a good mix!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »

I like it! It's quite strange, but I assume you went for that Razz

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »

Speaking of which, Egohanger - you writing anything at the mo?

I have a few ideas..... Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »

Kinda worried my collaborator is going to think it's a little too weird and tell me to tone it down. 

It's weird all right, ... but in a good way, I think.  Grin Seriously, this is the kind of music I'll personally have to listen to over and over before I can 'grasp' it if you know what I mean? The second part of the track where you slowed it down only to have it pick up again, I liked quite a lot, - from 1.25 onwards. There's a pretty cool vibe there. I find it really cool that you're always trying out quite different things & feels.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx