gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:27:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is That’s Why God Made the Radio (the album) among their very best?!  (Read 11979 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 01:54:29 PM »

I think TWGMTR just misses being among their best. I swear this has NOTHING to do with Mike Love, but, for me, the album lacks just one (more) classic rock & roller. I know that wasn't the intended vibe for the album, it's supposed to be mellow. But, it sags slightly in the middle. I've digested it now, and I would replace the OK "Beaches In Mind" with a faster, David Marks-driven rocker.
Paulos
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »

Jesus christ, i can't believe this man.

Believe it dude, some peoples opinions and tastes differ to yours, deal with it.

Well lol, i'm not the one making a big deal out of this, am i? did i call you a jerk? nop, that wasn't me.

Ummm, what? I have no problem with you Ziggy and I no, you didn't call me a jerk and neither did anyone else. Do you really want Brian's scary piano hands to visit you in the night, I can arrange for that you know...
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »

Believe it dude, some peoples opinions and tastes differ to yours, deal with it.

Well lol, i'm not the one making a big deal out of this, am i? did i call you a jerk? nop, that wasn't me.

Ummm, what? I have no problem with you Ziggy and I no, you didn't call me a jerk and neither did anyone else. Do you really want Brian's scary piano hands to visit you in the night, I can arrange for that you know...

Grin LOL

Nah i wasn't saying you did, but some others did called me jerk for such insignificant reasons, i was just pointing this out, how sad this board can be sometimes, between this and the guys from the "Mike & Bruce" threads who always has to say harsh things about people who don't feel like going to their shows.

MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »

Its hard for me to say yes to this because all the other albums have a bit of nostalgia (or in the 80's albums cases nausea) attached to them. This is a new one, so it's hard to say this is as great as the other one. But if i had to rate it on quality, i'd say easily in the top 10. So far its getting better with each listen and even Spring Vacation is starting to sound a little better (when compared to things like Our Favorite Recording Sessions and Cassius Love that i've looked past).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:09:38 PM by LittleBird » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »

I think TWGMTR just misses being among their best. I swear this has NOTHING to do with Mike Love, but, for me, the album lacks just one (more) classic rock & roller. I know that wasn't the intended vibe for the album, it's supposed to be mellow. But, it sags slightly in the middle. I've digested it now, and I would replace the OK "Beaches In Mind" with a faster, David Marks-driven rocker.

I agree. I love the album, and rank it right up there with Wild Honey and perhaps Holland, but would have loved to have one rocker thrown in there.  I'm hoping the next album, which every day seems closer to fruition, has that.  That being said, I think the album is darn near perfect for what it tries to achieve.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »

This is how it plays out for me:

Worse than:
Today!
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Pet Sounds
Friends
Wild Honey
Smiley Smile + Smile
Sunflower
Love You
Little Deuce Coupe

Comparable to:
All Summer Long
Surf's Up
20/20
Carl and the Passions
Shut Down Volume 2 (I'm iffy on this one)
Holland + Mt. Vernon & Fairway

The albums I rank That's Why God Made the Radio comparable to have a few BBs classics and then are rounded out by some decent tunes. Well, except for Shut Down Volume 2, which is an incredibly uneven album full of incredible highs and insipid filler. For me, an album like Wild Honey rocks from start to finish in a way the new doesn't quite pull off.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »

I think the real trick is if this album still holds up several years down the road.  I remember everyone gushing over Imagination when that first came out, but the album didn't exactly age well.  That's Why God Made The Radio is a strong album and is definitely the best album they've put out since the 70's.  Now let's see if it has lasting appeal.

True, but Imagination did age well with me, I still love it.  GIOMH, not so much.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »

Like the original poster....

That would be ME!  Lots of interesting comments here.

Cool Guy

I have snippets of different songs from TWGMTR percolating around my head during my waking hours, yes even Beaches In Mind and Daybreak Over The Ocean. Time will obviously be a factor in how well it stands up but for now I am truly grateful for this gift we have been given by the boys.

I am enjoying Spring Vacation and Beaches in Mind a LOT, and I didn't expect to!

But Strange World is a killer ear worm!  I love the "da doobie doobie do's" in that one!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »

At this point, I'd rank it among my favorite BBs albums. As time goes on, it may slip a little, but right now, it's so fresh and I just can't stop listening...I skip tracks 4-8 for the most part, though each of them have little moments I enjoy...the first three and last four songs definitely rank among their classics, IMO.

My favorite albums, in order (this could be different tomorrow):
Sunflower
Pet Sounds
Smile Sessions
Surf's Up
Today
TWGMTR

And I don't care if you don't count TSS as an actual album. It is.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »

What I can't believe is that you dont own the album and you make generalised, ill-informed sweeping statements about said album.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »

What I can't believe is that you dont own the album and you make generalised, ill-informed sweeping statements about said album.

I can still listen to it you know, and far as i know, my generalised, ill-informed sweeping statements aren't false, are they ? isn't there Jeff Foskett and Christian Love singing on the album?!

Can't i JUST say how i feel about the album, the way it should have been -IMO- without having people telling me i'm a jerk, ETC??
why does this have to take a whole important and ultra mega super serious direction? why do you care soo much, i'm just another random BB fan posting random messages, far as i know this isn't some contest or something.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:57:41 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »

Answering the question, no way it's among their best of the best. Except for Spring Vacation, Isn't It Time, TWGMTR and Summer's Gone, nothing stood out to me.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »

I don't know what qualifies as being among their very best- top 3? top 5? top 10? It's their best album in 41 years, but not as good as the 60s stuff which is just stone classic material.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
MBE
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 01:36:36 AM »

I like it far more than anything else since, but it doesn't touch 1963-73
My order as of today

Sunflower
Pet Sounds
Today
Wild Honey
Summer Days
All Summer Long
20/20
Friends
Shut Down 2
Surfin USA
Holland
Surf's Up
So Tough
Smiley
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
Live In London
Party
Concert
In Concert
TWGMTR
Surfin Safari
Christmas
MIU
15 Big Ones
LA Light (would rank far higher without HCTN)
Love You
KTSA
Still Crusin
Stars
Summer In Paradise
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 02:13:47 AM »

Back to topic, and I know I have said the same I think in at least 2 other threads, but I rate this as their best overall since Pet Sounds, slightly above Sunflower. And I agree with what someone else said too, give this a few years to garner the respect and see if it has legs. Im sure it will.

Even Pet Sounds at the time gained many mixed reviews and wasnt a huge commercial success, and every album since that time has been panned by some (including those who consider themselves hardcore fans).
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 02:28:27 AM »

Might as well attempt to rank them all since I've never tried it before...

1. Pet Sounds
2. Smile ("The Smile Sessions")
3. Sunflower
4. Today!
5. Surf's Up
6. Summer Days (And Summer Nights!)
7. Holland
8. Wild Honey
9. All Summer Long
10. Surfer Girl
11. Friends
12. 20/20
13. Shut Down, Volume II
14. Carl and the Passions  - So Tough
15. Little Deuce Coupe
16. Christmas Album
17. Love You
18. That's Why God Made The Radio
19. Surfin' USA
20. Surfin' Safari
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
21. L.A.
22. Smiley Smile
23. Party!
24. 15 Big Ones
25. M.I.U
26. Keepin' The Summer Alive
27. The Beach Boys
28. Still Cruisin'
29. Stars and Stripes
30. Summer In Paradise

Grouped into Perfect, Good-to-Great, Decent and Abominable.  Big dividing line in bold is where I do/don't have the complete albums included in my iTunes library.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:31:27 AM by KokoNO » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 03:01:57 AM »

Discounting Christmas, live and "live" albums, this is how I rank the albums:

1. Pet Sounds
2. The Smile Sessions
3. Today
4. Love You
5. Sunflower
6. Friends
7. Smiley Smile
8. Surf's Up
9. Holland
10. All Summer Long
11. Carl and the Passions - So Tough
12. Summer Days
13. 20/20
14. Wild Honey
15. Shut Down 2
16. Surfer Girl
17. That's Why God Made the Radio
18. Surfin' USA
19. LA Light
20. Little Deuce Coupe
21. Surfin Safari
22. 15 Big Ones
23. Still Crusin
24. MIU
25. Stars
26. KTSA
27. 85
28. Summer In Paradise

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 03:06:26 AM »

Short answer:  no.  But it's a very good album overall, and better than anything they've done since Love You.  The major flaw is the heavyhanded nostalgia and kind of pop-rocky jive of songs like "Beaches in Mind" and "Spring Vacation."  But ALL of the more 'serious' songs are very-good-to-brilliant, as is stuff like "Isn't It Time" and the title track.  I even really enjoy some of the more lightweight songs like "Bill and Sue" and "Daybreak Over the Ocean."  The album's trump card is that the melodies and harmonies consistently kick butt--in that respect, it really is at least one of their better albums. 
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 03:14:48 AM »

1).  Smile Sessions
2).  Pet Sounds
3).  Today!
4).  Wild Honey
5).  All Summer Long
6).  Smiley Smile
7).  Friends
Cool.  20-20
9).  Surfer Girl
10).  Holland
11).  Love You
12).  Summer Days
13).  TWGMTR
14).  Surf's Up
15).  Sunflower
16).  So Tough
17).  Shut Down Vol II
18).  Little Deuce Coupe
19).  Surfing USA
20).  LA
21).  Surfin Safari
22).  15 Big Ones
23).  Beach Boys
24).  MIU Album
25).  Keeping the Summer Alive
26).  till Cruisin'
27).  Stars and Stripes
28).  Summer in Paradise
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 03:22:31 AM »

Can't - resist...

Regular studio albums only!

Love You
Today!
Friends
Pet Sounds
Summer Days
Holland
Surf's Up
Sunflower
Carl and the Passions
Surfer Girl
Smiley Smile
20/20
Wild Honey
All Summer Long
L.A. (Light Album)
15 Big Ones
Shut Down Vol. 2
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfin' USA
That's Why God Made the Radio
The Beach Boys
M.I.U. Album
Surfin' Safari
Still Cruisin'
Party!
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Summer in Paradise
Stars and Stripes

Keep in mind, for me this is all good stuff except for the three ones at the very bottom!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:33:30 AM by phirnis » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 04:01:27 AM »

Top 5? No.
Top 10? Maybe.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2012, 05:30:34 AM »

Yes. It's moving its way up the charts in my heart with each listen.

1.   Pet Sounds
2.   Love You
3.   Smiley Smile
4.   Surfer Girl
5.   Summer Days
6.   Friends
7.   Sunflower
8.   Shut Down Vol. 2
9.   Today!
10.   Little Deuce Coupe
11.   Wild Honey
12.   Holland
13.   All Summer Long
14.   That's Why God Made the Radio
15.   M.I.U. Album
16.   Carl and the Passions
17.   20/20
18.   Surf's Up
19.   15 Big Ones
20.   Surfin' Safari
21.   L.A. (Light Album)
22.   Party!
23.   Surfin' USA
24.   Keepin' the Summer Alive
25.   Still Cruisin'
26.   The Beach Boys
27.   Summer in Paradise
28.   Stars and Stripes
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 05:33:16 AM »

I whole heartedly agree with you! Too many of their early albums contained what can only be seen as annoy filler at times (Shut Down Vol. 2!), while TWGMTR, in my mind, doesn't feature any of the intentional sort.
I respectfully disagree with you about Shut Down, Vol.2 being filler. Call me weird but I consider it the best surf instrumental of the group. Agree with your statement re new album though.

TWGMTR is a very-very good album even if it's a bit oversonic which is not mind-boggling if remember the year of its release - 2012, 21st century. I love almost all of material, and the songs I don't like aren't the worst of the BBs catalog.

However, despite all the nice words said above, I won't rank this record higher than any of the 60s (even Friends, LDC and Surfin' Safari) & 70s stuff (excluding L.A. & CATPST).

I'd place it right after 15 Big Ones: I somehow enjoy the latter more than the new one. That said, Brian's, Al's and Mike's vocs on TWGMTR are among their best performances imo. And it's a very strong point for the record!
So, the album makes Top-20 entrance in my list.   

I've never known another album (other than smile perhaps) which places so many random snippets of melody in your head throughout the day. By the way I finally got to the Ram reissue and the Neil Young album this week. Your in for another treat!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 05:47:35 AM »

I'd put it about average for the band (below average if you count Brian's solo work too), but best since LA.
My own rankings would be (off the top of my head):
Smiley Smile
Love You
Smile
Friends
Carl & The Passions
Pet Sounds
Surf's Up
Today
Summer Days
Wild Honey
20/20
All Summer Long
Sunflower
Shut Down Vol 2
Little Deuce Coupe
Holland
LA
That's Why God Made The Radio
Surfer Girl
15 Big Ones
Christmas
Still Cruisin'
Keepin' The Summer Alive
Party
MIU
Surfin' Safari
Surfin' USA
Summer In Paradise

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »

I'm not going to rank the records but I will say this much: It's hard for me to compare TWGMTR to any work they did during their heyday in the sixties.  Back then they were young, energetic and out to conquer their field.  Add to the fact that as a band whose legacy is largely based around their vocals back in the sixties they could probably out sing anyone on planet.  I don't think you can say any of this is true in 2012.

They still can manage some of the most beautiful vocal blends out there and I think Brian has proved once again with this new record that he's still the master when it comes to arranging vocals perhaps still better than anyone in the industry.  I think the record has a bit of a theme to it which mirrors some of the classic Beach Boys records where you have some "fun in the sun" music juxtaposed with Brian's melancholy tracks.  So that in enough of itself was pretty cool to hear.  Overall I think the songs on the record are pretty strong (I love "Spring Vacation" and consider it The Beach Boys' "Creeque Alley")  and it certainly stands among some of their strongest post sixties work.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx