gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:30:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baywatch Nights  (Read 5579 times)
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »

I read somewhere that in the mid 90s (I think around the time Soul Searchin was recorded by the BBs?) that Brian and Mike wrote a song for Baywatch Nights that was actually called "Baywatch Nights". Assuming I did not misread/misunderstand something, it would seem that this was the first "Wilson/Love" song written since KTSA, and the last to date (the songs Mike contributed to on TWGMTR have additional co-writers). Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. But what I'm mostly interested in is whether anyone has ever heard the Baywatch Nights song/recording, know anything about it, and/or can attest to its quality?

Thanks!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »

I could be wrong, but I think that song morphed into "Dancing Through the Night," (unsure of title) from the sessions Carl walked out on...and then it morphed into "How Could We Still Be Dancing" that was recorded for "Gettin In Over My Head" with Elton John.

I could be way off, and probably am.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »

Pretty much how it was.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »

Weren't the sessions for "Dancin' the night away" filmed ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03:48 PM »

I could be wrong, but I think that song morphed into "Dancing Through the Night," (unsure of title) from the sessions Carl walked out on...

Listening to "How Could We Still Be Dancin'", it's hard to see what was so offensive about it.

Then again, it was about Baywatch. And with lyrics by Mike Love....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »

Pulse! Magazine, November 1995 Brian/Van Dyke cover story, comments from Don Was:

"Wilson is now writing Beach Boys songs with Mike Love again, and Was says that 'of the 40 new songs we've got, a handful are as good as anything he's written'. Still, the forthcoming album may or may not be the emotional catharsis that Was is hoping for. "When I was talking to Mike and Brian, I told them 'If you go write about surfing it's not going to ring true. But if you can write the truths of your life, the fact that you're family and there's been these deep chasms in your life that require this deep emotional involvement - if you can write about that, it would be incredibly uplifting for people. So they said 'Great', and went off to write a song. Then they came back and said 'We got it! It's called Baywatch Nights!'"

Classic. Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »

That quote is amazing.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »

They were looking to sell it to the Baywatch show, which was still on.  Another tie-in like Kokomo and that Tom Cruise movie.  I'm sure Mike was looking forward to filming a video with Pam Anderson and Elena Eleniak or whatever her name was.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:08:28 PM »

Baywatch Nights--it was a different show, a spinoff. I remember reading that article at  the time, forgot that quote from Was but that takes me back now. The new album ALMOST makes up for what did not happen in 1995/96.  That was heartbreaking at the time.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »

Baywatch Nights--it was a different show, a spinoff. I remember reading that article at  the time, forgot that quote from Was but that takes me back now. The new album ALMOST makes up for what did not happen in 1995/96.  That was heartbreaking at the time.

It was heartbreaking and disappointing (40 new songs!!!), and I also remember reading in Pulse! magazine at that same time how both a Pet Sounds and a Smile box set were in the works while all of that was going on. Don Was had been involved, or was suggesting things for the Smile set.

It's funny how it just took a few decades for it all to unfold, but we eventually got 1. A Pet Sounds Sessions box, 2. A Smile Sessions box, and 3. New Beach Boys recordings.

Patience is a virtue for Beach Boys fans.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »

They were looking to sell it to the Baywatch show, which was still on.  Another tie-in like Kokomo and that Tom Cruise movie.  I'm sure Mike was looking forward to filming a video with Pam Anderson and Elena Eleniak or whatever her name was.

The song for Baywatch Nights never materialized on or around that spin-off, but remember the Beach Boys (with Brian) did in fact appear on the show Baywatch singing a new song. It never really went anywhere, popularity-wise. But it was somewhat nice to see Brian taking part in the beach activities. It's probably on YouTube - I can't remember if Pam Anderson or the other Baywatch Babes were in the video with the band.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »

The song for Baywatch Nights never materialized on or around that spin-off, but remember the Beach Boys (with Brian) did in fact appear on the show Baywatch singing a new song. It never really went anywhere, popularity-wise. But it was somewhat nice to see Brian taking part in the beach activities. It's probably on YouTube - I can't remember if Pam Anderson or the other Baywatch Babes were in the video with the band.
Is summer of love with Brian looking really disinterested and wanting to leave. 3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFsJk6PWu0

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »

Is summer of love with Brian looking really disinterested and wanting to leave. 3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFsJk6PWu0

Alright I'll say it...Brian looks like he's having the time of his life in this and in the "Rock'n'Roll To The Rescue" video. I imagine Mike calling him up and saying "Hey Bri, we're gonna be shooting a video tomorrow"
BRIAN: "Well, you know how I am. I'll just sit this one out"
MIKE: "Yeah, but it's a promotional gig. You being there will help us sell the idea of 'group unity'".
BRIAN: "Sorry, Mike, that's just not my bag."   
MIKE: "But there's gonna be loads of girls in bikinis with us....Brian?.... Brian?
(knock on door)
BRIAN: Mike, lemme in! I got here as fast as I could! Bring on the bitches!
Lookit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 06:10:23 AM »

Cripes, that's truly awful stuff. Mike in his element.

I talked your folks out of making you cut off your head.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 06:18:19 AM »

I could be wrong, but I think that song morphed into "Dancing Through the Night," (unsure of title) from the sessions Carl walked out on...

Listening to "How Could We Still Be Dancin'", it's hard to see what was so offensive about it.

Then again, it was about Baywatch. And with lyrics by Mike Love....

The songs are rather different, actually. Similar sounding main riff though, so it's entirely possible the latter descended from the former. Of course, there's a dance the night away line in "Isn't It Time," too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »

They were looking to sell it to the Baywatch show, which was still on.  Another tie-in like Kokomo and that Tom Cruise movie.  I'm sure Mike was looking forward to filming a video with Pam Anderson and Elena Eleniak or whatever her name was.

The song for Baywatch Nights never materialized on or around that spin-off, but remember the Beach Boys (with Brian) did in fact appear on the show Baywatch singing a new song.

I think the Baywatch episode is from '95 so the song was already two years old at that point.

Let's just be thankful that the reunion hasn't gotten this terrible yet ! It could have gone so wrong...

Does anybody have more info about this picture from the same time?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:41:49 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 07:12:15 AM »

My info is that Al has more hair now than he did then Smiley
It also reminds me of Al, Carl, and Brian around the piano when Brian makes Al hold his nose and sings Cal. Girls. My favorite late 90's BB moment.
I also just noticed in the Summer of Love video ( I don't know why I still click when that link is provided) that Carl and Al appear to be playing each other's normal guitars. Did they say to each other, " I can't believe we are doing this let's try to find a way to make this interesting and Al suggests they switch guitars to see if anyone will notice. "
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 07:20:35 AM »

At least Stamos is there.....

The shot at 1:26 in the Summer Of Love video is beautiful though
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:22:54 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 12:14:03 PM »

I remember being disappointed that nothing ever happened with the song "Baywatch Nights", and that nothing really new ever happened or was aired on the actual Baywatch show, which turned out to be a disappointment because the song was bland and not from the so-called "new" Brian and Mike originals we were reading about at the time. And more surfboard schtick! I am guessing that wasn't the only woody seen on the set that day, though... Evil

Such was the state of being a fan at that time - getting excited for a canned TV appearance, which was contrived anyway.

There were many disappointments at that time. Many. I guess 2012 is correcting some of those.  Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx