gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:23:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Isn't It Time" and "Beaches in Mind," way too similar?  (Read 2231 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »

They're both decent songs (and nothing more than that really) but lyrically and thematically, I find them way too similar and I feel they should have just picked one to put on the album.  Once I hear "Isn't it Time" and later on I hear "Beaches in Mind," I can't help but feel some deja vu and I just want to say "Okay guys, I get it, you're back together, it's been too long..."  Anybody else agree?

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »

I disagree.  Isnt it time is about a boy and girl.  Bim is also super duper horrible. Sv is closer to bim in themes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:12:28 PM by Runaways » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »

I find "Isn't it Time" far superior in  every way.  I actually find Mike's lyrics to this song rather ingenious. The lyrics are perfectly set out, and upon close listen you realize you are not hearing a song about young kids but rather about a couple of older people thinking back about times "just like yesterday", and yet still looking forward to all the good times not being in the past (similar to the group itself). In addition, the song offers good vocals from each of Brian, Alan, Bruce and Mike as well as great hooks and group harmonies. Almsot a perfect Beach Boys song for 2012. I never thought  they could sound this good today without Carl.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »

Beaches in mind is not horrible. It's under-written to my ears. Just as is Lana or Noble Surfer. Or The Shift. Or so many others. I'm ok with it though. Can have an album full of songs like it. And this particular album would be lacking without such statement.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 12:05:09 AM »

Lots of choruses with only a few syllables available.  While some of Mike's lyrics aren't the best, the number of beats per line written by Brian or Joe Thomas guaranteed the lyrics to portions of some these songs would have to be super-simplistic, no matter who wrote them.  How much can you say with four syllables?
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »

I think that Isn't It Time is a minor classic.  BIM is OK, but the weakest song on the album IMHO.  Really, I think that Spring Vacation is way more similar lyrically to Isn't It Time, since both are "back together" songs. 
MBE
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »

I find "Isn't it Time" far superior in  every way.  I actually find Mike's lyrics to this song rather ingenious. The lyrics are perfectly set out, and upon close listen you realize you are not hearing a song about young kids but rather about a couple of older people thinking back about times "just like yesterday", and yet still looking forward to all the good times not being in the past (similar to the group itself). In addition, the song offers good vocals from each of Brian, Alan, Bruce and Mike as well as great hooks and group harmonies. Almsot a perfect Beach Boys song for 2012. I never thought  they could sound this good today without Carl.
Agreed.
Sav-Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 05:02:36 AM »

I agree. "Isn't It Time" is one of my favorites on the new one. In addition to the lyrics, I also like the way the vocals are arranged, w/ Brian starting things out, and then blending his voice w/ Mike, and then Al getting a line, then Mike a line, etc. BIM is probably the weakest song on the album overall, like others here have said. It doesn't totally suck, it just feels incomplete. SV is the better attempt at doing a "sun-and-fun" type of song when compared to BIM.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »

I find "Isn't it Time" far superior in  every way.  I actually find Mike's lyrics to this song rather ingenious. The lyrics are perfectly set out, and upon close listen you realize you are not hearing a song about young kids but rather about a couple of older people thinking back about times "just like yesterday", and yet still looking forward to all the good times not being in the past (similar to the group itself). In addition, the song offers good vocals from each of Brian, Alan, Bruce and Mike as well as great hooks and group harmonies. Almsot a perfect Beach Boys song for 2012. I never thought  they could sound this good today without Carl.

I agree. "Isn't It Time" is one of my favorites on the new one. In addition to the lyrics, I also like the way the vocals are arranged, w/ Brian starting things out, and then blending his voice w/ Mike, and then Al getting a line, then Mike a line, etc. BIM is probably the weakest song on the album overall, like others here have said. It doesn't totally suck, it just feels incomplete. SV is the better attempt at doing a "sun-and-fun" type of song when compared to BIM.

Ditto to both quotes.
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:19:27 AM »

I love the track and regarding the songs, don't really hear the similarities in melody, though the one of reunion which obviously fits is a recurring theme. Everytime I hear Beaches in Mind though I hear in my head the early rumoured working * lyrics..

Peaches in Wine
                          Man there's been too much crime

*This is a lie.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx