gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 11:34:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M.I.U vs L.A.  (Read 18927 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »

If I had to choose between MIU and LALA, I would take Adult Child.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »

Bells of Christmas is better. that 70s Christmas album is a great album.
I like some of those cuts too, but 'Santa's On His Way' and 'Xmas Time Is Here Again' kill it for me big time.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »

Nobody Likes Belles of Paris :/?

Hey, that's my favorite too! Now count me in BOP fan club!  Wink

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2012, 10:53:53 PM »

What next? Which is better: Summer In Paradise or Pet Sounds?

L.A. is so so so vastly superior to M.I.U. i can't even believe it's being debated. M.I.U. is an appalling album (i can't describe it in better terms than Dennis did) - there are 2, arguably 3, decent songs (She's Got Rhythm, My Diane, er... Pitter Patter?), amidst some of the worst - and worst produced - Beach Boys music ever recorded. It's not as bad as SIP, i'll give it that. But it's on equal terrible-ness footing with Keepin' The Summer Alive.

L.A. on the other hand has two classics - Good Timin' and the continuously under-rated Baby Blue, one of the finests ballads the group ever recorded - plus some beautiful Carl songs - Angel Come Home obviously, but i also think Full Sail is very nice with a gorgeous lead vocal. Why you're all sighting the throwaway Shortenin' Bread as a highlight on an album containing songs of the quality i've just mentioned is beyond me, but it is a fun ending to what remains one of the groups most under-valued records...

You read my mind....
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 02:10:05 AM »

Nobody Likes Belles of Paris :/?

Hey, that's my favorite too! Now count me in BOP fan club!  Wink
Grin hell yeah!
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 02:13:55 AM »

Heh, I do think Adult Child is better than both albeit barely over LA. They're pretty much in the same boat with some great tunes mixed in with middling fare.

Whereas MIU is a turd. It's not a smelly bit of fecal matter like The Beach Boys or a bucket of diarrhea like Summer in Paradise. But it certainly still squishes in between your toes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 07:01:30 AM »

Songs I really enjoy listening to on MIU:

She’s Got Rhythm
Kona Coast
Wontcha Come Out Tonight
Pitter Patter
Winds of Change

Not a bad song, but not that joyful to me:

My Diane

Songs I really enjoy listening to on LA:

Angel Come Home

Not bad songs, but not that joyful to me:

Good Timin’
Full Sail
Baby Blue

That makes MIU my preferred album of those two.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:34 AM »

Wow...MIU vs LA...that's like deciding which testicle I'd rather have shorn off without anesthetic...

All i can say is....in 2000 when the post-Capitol albums were reissued as twofer CDs, I found out that the guy working checkout at the store where I bought it is also a fan, because I went in to get Holland / So Tough and I didn't see it (the others were there), and the guy said, "I'll check the back room. I already put my own copy aside, and if we don't have any more copies, you'll have to fight me for mine." When the rest came out, the same guy was there. He gave me a dirty look and said, "You're actually BUYING MIU and L.A.?!"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »

Heh, I do think Adult Child is better than both albeit barely over LA. They're pretty much in the same boat with some great tunes mixed in with middling fare.

Whereas MIU is a turd. It's not a smelly bit of fecal matter like The Beach Boys or a bucket of diarrhea like Summer in Paradise. But it certainly still squishes in between your toes.

A fecal matter containing Where I Belong, I Do Love You and Male Ego is a piece of fecal matter that i'd be personally happy to smear about my body quite contently for several hours at a time...
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:34 PM »

A fecal matter containing Where I Belong, I Do Love You and Male Ego is a piece of fecal matter that i'd be personally happy to smear about my body quite contently for several hours at a time...

and you can smear some Getcha back and Californai Calling on me too. Both guilty pleasures.
I still love Rock 'n'Roll to the Rescue !
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 12:44:45 AM »

Light Album for me, even though it could've used A LOT more Brian and it doesn't contain one single song that blows me away the way "My Diane" does. Still very solid and enjoyable and I love both "Good Timin'" and "Baby Blue". "Lady Lynda" is pure cheese but I like it. Despite the notable inclusion of "Shortenin' Bread", L.A. really could have used some actual humor, it sounds very grown-up and safe in a bit of a boring way to me. They probably should've included "Calendar Girl", which is one of my favorite 15BO-like covers. And the last song on the album definitely should've been "California Feeling" - that would've made up for the lack of Brian I'm sure. Perfect way to end such an overall mellow record I think.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2012, 01:32:40 AM »

My Diane

It's not supposed to be joyful. it's very good at not being joyful. and it's still pretty catchy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:14 AM »

Easily M.I.U. for me, although I'll admit that I probably haven't listened to Light Album enough. I hated M.I.U. the first time I heard it then returned to it two years later and fell in love with a few tracks:

She's Got Rhythm
Wontcha Come Out Tonight?
Pitter Patter
and My Diane

I can't say that I feel that way about any tracks of of L.A. yet.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 01:44:20 AM »

I can't understand the love for Pitter Patter, it precisely fits the definition of "banal" imo. What should I be listening out for?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 01:49:53 AM »

it's really catchy and the lyrics fit in really well with the melody. the harmonies are pretty cool, especially Mike's "pitter patter pitter patter, of the rain" bass vocals.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 04:34:38 AM »

I can't understand the love for Pitter Patter, it precisely fits the definition of "banal" imo. What should I be listening out for?

Listen out for the opening line, as a prompt to skip to "My Diane"

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 06:32:14 AM »

My Diane

It's not supposed to be joyful. it's very good at not being joyful. and it's still pretty catchy.

What I meant to say (not being a native English speaker) was that there are sad BB songs that I still enjoy listening to. I guess something in the arrangement of My Diane bugs me, however I can't name it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 06:47:02 AM »

I love 5 songs on MIU:
-Hey Little Tomboy
-Sweet Sunday Love
-Belles of Paris
-My Diane
-Match Point

Most of the rest is cringe worthy, although She's Got Rhythm is growing on me.

LA has nothing cringe worthy on it. No, not even Here Comes the Night. But outside of Good Timin, Baby Blue and Shortnen Bread, most of LALA is kind of boring to me. If I am in the mood, I can enjoy songs like Lady Lynda, Full Sail and Sumahama, but they don't have that magic that many BB songs have. Angel Come Home has grown on me a bit.

So I would say LALA is more consistent, but the top 5 songs on MIU, I listen to the most along with Good Timin.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 07:01:06 AM »

I'll say this again, I LOVE the drum sound on M.I.U!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »

it's really catchy and the lyrics fit in really well with the melody. the harmonies are pretty cool, especially Mike's "pitter patter pitter patter, of the rain" bass vocals.
Melodically it's one of the strongest of their songs from that era. Plus I like the arrangement.  Especially the country guitar part that comes in at the line "a rain swept plain". It's a good guilty pleasure later tune with mediocre/unimportant lyrics, but the same could be said about a lot of the stuff in their prime. The early surfy stuff comes to mind along with songs like "Vegetables".

Plus, I'm biased. I loathe astrology, so I'll take unimportant lyrics with a good melody over most of Mike's lyrics from that decade.

jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »

Well 30 years ago i would have said I prefer LA. Today I would say MIU is a not necessarily better more more enjoyable. When I listen to LA today it makes me sad knowing these were Dennis' last vocals. His voice ragged he lost his range. I know a lot of people like that about his voice.  I don't necessarily like the record less but I hear it differently today. 

MIU, call it a guilty pleasure but I like Woncha come out tonight, Belles of Paris, Matchpoint, and especially Carls vocal Sweet Sunday Kind Of Love. I also appreciate what ron Altbach brought to the project. I think what maybe gets forgotten, somehow, during that time in Iowa, Brian was (perhaps for a brief time) focused. His vocal range seems strong.  I enjoy today listening to Woncha, or Shes got rhythm.
Some great songs on LA too. I like Good Timin' Lady Lynda and Sumahama.  Here comes the night is fine (even the Stones and RodStewart offered a dance tune back the)  but 3-4 minutes too long. 30 years later its MIU.

jet without wings
Arturo Bandini
Smiley Smile Associate

"If you live with wolves you will learn to howl."

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »

"I don't believe in that album and it's an embarrassment to my life. It should self-destruct.. I hope that the karma will f*** up Mike Love’s meditation forever."

- Dennis Wilson on the MIU album
Just stronger songs and less embarassment on LA album.  Plus a lot more Dennis and Carl on LA.  For me again its a no brainer.  Though "Sweet Sunday Kinda Love" is a great forgotten gem of MIU.  

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »

D'ya know - I'm a late comer to post Love You Beach Boys, and I have to say the more I listen to MIU the more I think it doesn't deserve its dire reputation. It sounds more consistent than LA to me. There's something kinky and perverted about the whole thing but in a creative way, if that's possible. I stated previously that I only care for side 2 but after blasting Wontcha Come Out Tonight in the car today which sounded INCREDIBLE I'm thinking, Peggy Sue aside, side 1 is not looking too shabby either.

I say poll this thing and let's be done with it.

Or are you LA freaks chickensh*t!?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:27:48 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »

I tried L.A again today. Good Timin' is the standout track, and the fact that it comes first means everything else doesn't measure up. Lady Lynda is...nice. Sumahama is kinda cool. I'm not a fan of Dennis' gravel voice, so his tracks don't do anything for me, and Carl's tracks are O.K but there isn't any excitement.

Say what you will, but M.I.U has so much more energy than L.A. It's cheesy energy, sure, but there's loads of cheeze on Love You and that album gets praised all over the place.

I only have these two albums on vinyl, as the CD is crazy expensive. Wish I could hear what they sounded like remastered from the twofer.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »

I'm telling you, lose the HCTN disco mix and sling on your favourite Adult/Child songs in it's place and L.A becomes one of their strongest 70's albums.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx