gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:06:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Coast Highway Overrated ?  (Read 12641 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »

PCH isn't moving at all(imo)...Summer's Gone gives you that feeling that the end is here and that's powerful Cry if any song on the album could make you cry that's the one that could hit the spot.

Newguy, I have come to like your enthusiasm for music of the Beach Boys but please, please learn to express yourself better. Pacific Coast Highway may not be moving to you but a great number of people, including myself, find it greatly moving both lyrically and musically. The way you write makes it seem like your thoughts and opinions are absolute and are not be argued with, perhaps try adding 'in my opinion' to your posts.
In My Opinion Smiley..It does make me happy to know that beach boy songs move many of you. It's always great to know I'm not the only one that recognizes "Good Music" lol..
How do you feel about Summer's Gone?
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 02:40:09 PM »

It's too short to be boring.
It has a linnear structure. No repeats, just changes within a short time span.
Vocals are great. Harmonies sublime.
Subject matter touching.
Lyrics good.
Production ditto.

No way it's overrated.
That pretty much sums it up. For me it is another example of Brians enduring creative talent. Call it genius if you will, certainly a great talent. It blows me away, no-one else produces the goods like this.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

Not that it makes a whit a difference, but Rolling Stone likes PCH.  The latest issue has it #3 on its current RS playlist...(with a picture of Brian)

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »

Brian is comfortable enough with the Boys again to really put himself out there. That's why this song, (and suite) are so special. To me at least.

Other than them being awesome.
HA!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »

Not that it makes a whit a difference, but Rolling Stone likes PCH.  The latest issue has it #3 on its current RS playlist...(with a picture of Brian)
They also have Hit Boy Jay-z Interview number 4 Wink lmao
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »

A. I don't even know who (or what?) that is;
B. I stopped reading their list at # 3

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »

So good!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »

A. I don't even know who (or what?) that is;
B. I stopped reading their list at # 3
check it out and see why rolling stones has him number 4 lol
Paulos
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

PCH isn't moving at all(imo)...Summer's Gone gives you that feeling that the end is here and that's powerful Cry if any song on the album could make you cry that's the one that could hit the spot.

Newguy, I have come to like your enthusiasm for music of the Beach Boys but please, please learn to express yourself better. Pacific Coast Highway may not be moving to you but a great number of people, including myself, find it greatly moving both lyrically and musically. The way you write makes it seem like your thoughts and opinions are absolute and are not be argued with, perhaps try adding 'in my opinion' to your posts.
In My Opinion Smiley..It does make me happy to know that beach boy songs move many of you. It's always great to know I'm not the only one that recognizes "Good Music" lol..
How do you feel about Summer's Gone?

I love it, the intro gives me goosebumps and the harmonies that kick in at 0:39 are heavenly.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »

I've grown to like this one even more than "Summer's Gone". I still wish it could be a little longer though.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »

Well the only that I find cool about that song is well I only live a couple streets away from Pacific Coast Highway so I kind of know how it feels to cruise down it Smiley..
The song sounds not bad but not as good as you guys make it seem...it's the weakest song from the suite..What is it about the song that you guys find so amazing?

PCH connects From There to Back Again with Summer's Gone.

Starting with Strange World I find the last 4 songs to be heartbreakingly beautiful!  Can't "explain" it to you.

And.......I know this sounds totally insane........... but I am starting to think that That's Why God Made the Radio is one of their very best albums!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »

Starting with Strange World I find the last 4 songs to be heartbreakingly beautiful!  Can't "explain" it to you.

Neither could I.  It took about five or six listens until I could get past these songs without choking up.  Some ridiculously touching moments in those songs.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »

From there to back again is easily in their top 10 of all time Smiley the beautiful harmonies and all the changes in the song...whenever I listen to it i never want it to end I continue to replay it and I never can get tired of it.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »

From there to back again is easily in their top 10 of all time Smiley the beautiful harmonies and all the changes in the song...whenever I listen to it i never want it to end I continue to replay it and I never can get tired of it.

From there to back again could easily fit on Pet Sounds -- the guitar phrases in the lower ranges, the drum fills instead of a constant beat, and, of course the bicycle bell!   LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »

From there to back again could easily fit on Pet Sounds -- the guitar phrases in the lower ranges, the drum fills instead of a constant beat, and, of course the bicycle bell!   LOL
don't forget coca cola cans Smiley and barking dogs and the the train! haha..no but seriously it's one of the best they ever did i really hope this isn't the last album they do :/
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »

I hate the lyrics to "Summer's Gone."  They're simplistic and cliched.  It's Mike Love on heavy barbituates.

Okay, perhaps not that bad.  But it might have been better if it didn't try as hard to rhyme every line.  It also is slightly hopeful.  It's like he's saying he has something left to say.  So it's not a total bummer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:38:18 PM by KittyKat » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »

I've listened to the album enough times now where I can safely say that "Pacific Coast Highway" is most definitely not overrated.  Even though there's not much to it, it still holds up on repeated listens (much like "Summer's Gone", actually).  If it were a lot of other artists, it wouldn't work, but Brian is a master at saying what he needs to say in under 2 minutes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »

It's my favourite track on the entire LP.

This.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »

I'd take "From Here to Back Again" over either. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »

ditto Smiley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »

It's too short to be boring.
It has a linnear structure. No repeats, just changes within a short time span.
Vocals are great. Harmonies sublime.
Subject matter touching.
Lyrics good.
Production ditto.

No way it's overrated.

I think maybe the fact that it doesn't have  any repeated sections like typical song structures do is the very thing that makes it feel incomplete or underdeveloped as a stand-alone song to some people. To me it doesn't hold up on it's own, but as a bridge between the other two songs it's perfectly fine. I wouldn't put it on a playlist  without the others, but the others I would have no problem doing that. I agree with whoever said it's very much in  the mold of 'The Long and Winding Road', not that there's anything wrong with that.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »

ditto Smiley

Give me Spring Vacation any day!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 01:14:54 AM »

Dude, are you ever hearing the lyrics? If "My life...i'm better off alone/better on my own" isn't heartwrenching, I don't know what is.

I'm kinda with Newguy to a certain extent. It seems like Brian was being fed/feeding us emotionally triggering lines because that's what people believe we want to hear imo. I don't fully hear the honesty there.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 01:20:46 AM »

Dude, are you ever hearing the lyrics? If "My life...i'm better off alone/better on my own" isn't heartwrenching, I don't know what is.

I'm kinda with Newguy to a certain extent. It seems like Brian was being fed/feeding us emotionally triggering lines because that's what people believe we want to hear imo. I don't fully hear the honesty there.

Well, he's damned if he do, and damned if he don't!

"Gee, Brian, could your soulsearching be a little more honest?"

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 01:36:02 AM »

Well the only that I find cool about that song is well I only live a couple streets away from Pacific Coast Highway so I kind of know how it feels to cruise down it Smiley..
The song sounds not bad but not as good as you guys make it seem...it's the weakest song from the suite..What is it about the song that you guys find so amazing?

PCH connects From There to Back Again with Summer's Gone.

And.......I know this sounds totally insane........... but I am starting to think that That's Why God Made the Radio is one of their very best albums!

I agree, and on repeated listening I haven't changed my mind as it is STILL growing but Im happy to declare it again, i think TWGMTR is the best album since Pet Sounds as it slightly outranks Sunflower for me, and as many of the beautiful moments on all the other albums, this one is the most consistent with overall song quality.

In my opinion, five all time classics(2,3,10,11&12), another three(5,6&9) very close to that standard for me and the others excellent songs with some brilliant moments or harmonic elements in each, not to forget the beautiful prelude. In fact, I probaly cant even place those songs below the last 3 I mentioned as they are all crafted amazingly well and most of all, are catchy.It's like Brian & Mike have finally found the compromise on the "formula". They were both right and this album proves it.Also, none seem to "grate" on me or feel like filler. In am still gobsmacked! Grin Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx