gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:43:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 39: PNC Bank Arts Center - Holmdel, NJ 6/27/12  (Read 47182 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 07:29:21 AM »

Setlist
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 07:37:30 AM »

Setlist

Post of the year.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:28 AM »

Brian sang "Good Timin', did many leads, including This Whole World, H&V, GV, first verse of Sloop John B, and joined in on Mike's "All This Is That."  Bruce got a lot of love for "Disney Girls"; Mike wisecracked that Bruce was a Grammy-winning songwriter, then Mike checked his watch and added: "Sadly, time does not permit us to hear I Write The Songs..."

At the start, when Brian barked about the bouncing beach balls, Mike said: "I think Mr. Wilson wants you all to stop playing with your balls. --- Beach balls!"

Brian fluffed the beginning of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", though that may have been a bad stage mix, and I am guessing only recently added; I wasn't sure what key it was in either until halfway through the first verse, by which point Brian was on track. 

Some nice words for David Marks:  He is not the most dynamic stage presence, but he deftly (and seemingly effortlessly) handled EVERY guitar lead thrown at him, and began the second set with just him and Brian's rhythm section doing "Pet Sounds," with David's guitar appropriately "Leslie'd."   David played all the "signature" guitar parts on things like Help Me Rhonda, Surfin USA, and I Get Around.

Yeah crowd/parking control was definitely inferior to when we saw Brian do his Smile tour there in 2005.   At least some folks in the crowd appreciated the more "deep catalog" items.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 08:50:39 AM »

Want to add my notes.  I tried to make a setlist, but I can't for the life of me remember what order the songs were in, which is of course the whole point of a setlist at this point, since we all know the additions.  But the order was changed around significantly from the Boston set list.  California Saga was late in the first set, but Cotton Fields was moved up, rather than playing them back to back.  Why Do Fools Fall in Love directly followed Come Go with Me, which strikes me as a weird choice.  Come Go With Me sounded great, but one doo wop cover is enough, they should have dropped Fools and left in something like Marcella.  But with great versions of Good Timin followed directly by This Whole World, I can't complain!!!

the traffic and parking, as noted, was a nightmare.  I just made it into the arena in time for Good Timin (thank God) but didn't really get to enjoy it because I was looking for a place on the lawn.  I think that the PNC Bank Arts Center just isn't used to have both the arena and the lawn totally full of people.  This was a really big crow (and very enthusiastic!).  

Bruce sang Wendy, which was nice because it had been taken out of the setlist for the shows I saw in New York a month ago, so I was glad I got to hear it!  

Brian was really engaged - it was hard to see from the lawn when the screen wasn't on him, but you could hear him in the harmonies.  Also, from time to time Brian would improvise a vocal line, which was really cool, because in that band really only Brian has the guts and skills to do that, the harmonies are so tight.  But for example, in Disney Girls there was one part where Brian just did this really cool spontaneous backing vocal line that isn't on the record and that I hadn't heard live before.  You could kind of tell that Bruce was paying attention to how involved Brian was in Disney Girls last night, I really hope that one ends up on youtube!  And a number of his comments, such as the camera man conversation mentioned above, were clearly spontaneous.  His leads were not always pitch-perfect, but he sounded great and was definitely having a good day!  

The backing vocals in Add Some Music were changed around in one part, which was really cool.  Different from both the record and the earlier dates on the tour.  Did anyone else notice this?  Is it a new development?  They were distinctly different.  

Isn't it Time sounded great, That's Why God Made the Radio never quite pulled together - that's gotta be one tough song to pull off live, although they nailed it in NY a month ago.    

Pet sounds (the song) is an awesome addition.  The band totally rocks, Dave is so cool, and it gives everyone time to be back in their seats and ready for add some music, which was a problem at earlier shows.  Speaking of Dave, he totally rocked Sail on Sailor.  Man he was smokin!  He flubbed a few solos, notably do you wanna dance, but it's so cool to have him actually putting his all into doing something new with every guitar solo that its more than worth it.  That's the price you pay for not having some hired gun, and man is it worth it.  

The love this audience had for wouldn't it be nice was astounding.  I've never in my life seen a song in the middle of a concert just get waves and waves of applause and a standing ovation.  Mike just stood back and took it all in.  

Overall, the energy was incredible.  

A final note: on the way out I overheard some middle aged guy comment: "it's hardly good music, but it sure is fun."  
Just goes to show that you can literally force some of these people to listen to some of the most beautiful, sophisticated music in the Western canon, and the blinders are on so tight that they still can't see past barbara ann. I don't mind, I just feel bad for em.  

Overall, a great show!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:51 AM »

I somehow hope the live album/dvd will be some kind of best of the tour, including all the different songs they played packed together! Good Timin', Marcella, Darlin', Come Go With Me, Pet Sounds, Our Prayer, Wendy, Getcha Back etc..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:11:09 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »

OK, so Marcella and Our Prayer were out.  Darlin' still out. Pet Sounds, Getcha Back and Wendy still in.  This Whole World back in. Good Timin' and Come Go With Me in. Seems every night right now is kind of a guessing game, but looks like we are bound to at least a few of these gems in there.  Sure would like to get Our Prayer, though...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:53 AM »

Add Some Music

Brian at 1.15...."Here we go!!" Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xop4TZkd0k
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »

They have been doing "Come Go With Me" during a couple soundchecks and always treated it as something exclusive "just for the soundcheck people"...but it looks like they've added it to the set now which is great.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »

Add Some Music

Brian at 1.15...."Here we go!!" Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xop4TZkd0k

Wow...that's fantastic. Best sounding Add Some Music of the tour - a couple flubs but SO MUCH soul. I wish Brian could be like that every night.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »

Someone above wrote Brian sang the first verse of Sloop...did Al sing the last verse? Brian had been doing the whole thing. If so, between that and Come Go With Me someone finally got the message more than halfway through the tour that Al needed more leads!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »

Setlist, derived from a post on the BBBritain message board:

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Good Timin'
This Whole World
When I Grow Up
Cottonfields
Please Let Me Wonder
Getcha Back
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
Kiss Me Baby
Come Go
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
Disney Girls
Isn't it Time
California Saga
Be True to Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

Pet Sounds
Add Some Music
Heroes and Villains
Sloop John B
Wouldnt It Be Nice
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Sail On Sailor
In My Room
All This Is That
That's Why God Made the Radio
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' USA

Encore

Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »

What was Brian's cameraman comment? I heard him say "Cameraman" and then saw him smile, but I missed something. What happened?
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »

What was Brian's cameraman comment? I heard him say "Cameraman" and then saw him smile, but I missed something. What happened?

Maybe whenever the camera's on him he's supposed to smile, and he's alerted via teleprompter, so maybe he accidentally said "Cameraman" when it popped up on his teleprompter.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »

I had pointed out that Brian started Sloop John B - which surprised me - and Brian started the last verse too  - but yes Al came in toward the end and finished it with him.  Al got his leads, esp. Cotton Fields, Rhonda, with Mike on All This Is That.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:24:37 AM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Arturo Bandini
Smiley Smile Associate

"If you live with wolves you will learn to howl."

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »

The love this audience had for wouldn't it be nice was astounding.  I've never in my life seen a song in the middle of a concert just get waves and waves of applause and a standing ovation.  Mike just stood back and took it all in.  

Yes! I was at this show and it was amazing energy and it seemed so spontaneous for the standing O after "Wouldnt it Be Nice"  - So awesome!  I dont know if that happened at previous shows but it seemed that Mike was really taken aback by it all has he tried a couple of times to introduce the next song but the audience would not sit down and stop cheering.  One of thee best moments of the entire show.  I hope somebody has video of it!!

Couple of other observations Brian was feelin it, as other ppl said he was singing a lot and also directing the band through hand motions from his piano, very cool to see.  I was a little bummed that "Marcella" and "Our Prayer" didnt make it on the set but "Good Timin" was cool and "Come Go With Me" wasnt bad but I woulda preferred "Marcella" or "Our Prayer".  But hey got "This Whole World".

Great mixture of fans young and old, I talked to one fan while tailgating before the show who saw them while he was stationed in Pearl Harbor, HI in 1963 and yes it was packed.  I saw The Who back in 06' at PNC at it wasnt that packed, guess the Beach Boys grab more the casual music fans than The Who does.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »

Some Good Timin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZMyOGaQFVQ

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »

Thanks!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but it looks like they got rid of those circular platforms for Brian and Bruce to sit on. Is that new? I was afraid Brian might fall trying to get on and off of those.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

Yes! I was at this show and it was amazing energy and it seemed so spontaneous for the standing O after "Wouldnt it Be Nice"  - So awesome!  I dont know if that happened at previous shows but it seemed that Mike was really taken aback by it all has he tried a couple of times to introduce the next song but the audience would not sit down and stop cheering.  One of thee best moments of the entire show.  I hope somebody has video of it!!

Couple of other observations Brian was feelin it, as other ppl said he was singing a lot and also directing the band through hand motions from his piano, very cool to see.  I was a little bummed that "Marcella" and "Our Prayer" didnt make it on the set but "Good Timin" was cool and "Come Go With Me" wasnt bad but I woulda preferred "Marcella" or "Our Prayer".  But hey got "This Whole World".

Great mixture of fans young and old, I talked to one fan while tailgating before the show who saw them while he was stationed in Pearl Harbor, HI in 1963 and yes it was packed.  I saw The Who back in 06' at PNC at it wasnt that packed, guess the Beach Boys grab more the casual music fans than The Who does.

Just seen the vid as posted below/above ( montage ) and yep the reaction to WIBN is rather superb , so much so that Mike really ( for once ) is lost for words - Great great bit of film  Grin
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 05:31:47 PM »

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but it looks like they got rid of those circular platforms for Brian and Bruce to sit on. Is that new? I was afraid Brian might fall trying to get on and off of those.

You know...now that I think about it, they got rid of those a while ago and I think they may have done it because having Brian on that riser prevented people from seeing his face if you sat on the other side of him.  All you'd see would be the white teleprompter blocking his face.  I suppose they got rid of Brian's and then took Bruce's too.  His bad back may have had something to do with it too.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »

The love this audience had for wouldn't it be nice was astounding.  I've never in my life seen a song in the middle of a concert just get waves and waves of applause and a standing ovation.  Mike just stood back and took it all in. 

Just seen the vid as posted below/above ( montage ) and yep the reaction to WIBN is rather superb , so much so that Mike really ( for once ) is lost for words - Great great bit of film  Grin
Something similar to this happened at the Camden, NJ show for WIBN. At the Atlantic City show a very long ovation broke out after Carl's performance of God Only Knows. In both cases Mike was awed. These kinds of reactions have to be moving moments for everyone on stage.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »

It looks like it will be a real guessing game as to what they will perform tomorrow, I'm very excited! I really hope to hear Our Prayer though, I would take that over Come Go With Me, frankly.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »

It looks like for this tour, they're trying to play at least one song from each albums, am i correct?
waiting for some Love You Sad
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »

Brian on Carl's part on Good Timin, Al on Brian's part on the tag at the end it sounds like.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »

Thank you ! Brian sounds very good. Also on the otehr song snippets

Damnit ! The audience goes crazy after WIBN !!  Shocked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5VGJan_pmI&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:06:18 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx