gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:34:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 39: PNC Bank Arts Center - Holmdel, NJ 6/27/12  (Read 47183 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »

wow, very excited to hear these two

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 06:44:36 PM »

I wonder what they're taking out for those two - and I wonder who sings Good Timin' (would be way cool if it was Brian!)

Just checked the Bloo and apparently I guessed right - looks like Brian sang it!

Holy crap!
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 07:04:40 PM »

This rules.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 07:35:01 PM »

It was Brian. No Prayer tonight, though.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »

Did you record it?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »

Good. There were too many introductory songs for the second set. Pet Sounds, ASM, Prayer -- all of them work perfectly well on their own, but having them as a sequence is like reading three first chapters in a row.

What needs to happen is that Prayer -> H&V should be moved deeper into the second set, perhaps after the PS material.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »

Good. There were too many introductory songs for the second set. Pet Sounds, ASM, Prayer -- all of them work perfectly well on their own, but having them as a sequence is like reading three first chapters in a row.

What needs to happen is that Prayer -> H&V should be moved deeper into the second set, perhaps after the PS material.

Earlier in the tour that's exactly where H&V was placed - it worked really well there.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Thought the second set started very lagging last night for this very reason. Too much sitting in the audience to start out the set.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »

I guess I see that. The second set doesn't open with a bang, but more of a slow burn. Still, since I love those songs at the beginning of set 2 so much, I didn't mind at all.

I gotta say, I'm completely gobsmacked that at this point they're introducing a new song or two like every third show. It shows that they're not phoning it in, cause this means they're having to rehearse pretty much every day in order to keep learning new stuff. At this point we've had, what, maybe 60 songs over the span of this tour? Unbelievable.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »

Did you record it?

No, sorry. I like to live in the moment... Grin

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »

Did Bruce get any Birthday love?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »

Al getting a lift. Grin
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »

Amazing show, Brian sounded perfect and no autotune at all!

Bruce sang Disney Girls and got a welcome birthday reception from the crowd.

Come Go With Me was played for I believe the first time on the tour and Al was killing it (in a good way).

David Marks got his moment playing Pet Sounds solo with just the backing band to kick off the second half.

Brian nailed his leads tonight.  He was even hitting some high notes!!!

The tributes for Dennis and Carl were very well done, better than I expected.

My only complaint, I got there a little bit late.  What songs did they play before Surfin' Safari?

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »

Amazing show, Brian sounded perfect and no autotune at all!

Come Go With Me was played for I believe the first time on the tour and Al was killing it (in a good way).

Just a note - at the Pittsburgh show (5/11), Mike and Al were discussing how Pittsburgh was the birthplace of Doo Wop. Al began singing the beginning of Come Go With Me, and the band jumped right in - playing for about 30 seconds. I have no idea if they had already rehearsed it, but those 30 seconds sure sounded pretty solid. Maybe they've had it in their hip pocket for awhile.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »

Great show. Unfortunately I ended the night getting home at midnight to find that I was locked out of my apartment and waiting 2 hours for a locksmith. My brain is already asleep and I can't remember a lot of the details just now. I just know that I had a great time. The PNC Center, though...We were in "parking lot 9" and had to walk about 1/2 mile to the venue. We were then told to go to the far left to get to our section, only to find that it was stage right. We missed the first several songs, and so did a lot of other people because it took so long to get to our seats and the band starts right on time!

Anyway, a couple of impressions:
--They have incredible energy
--Brian complained about the beach balls and asked everyone to stop tossing them because it made it hard to see. The audience jokingly booed, thinking Brian was joking, I guess. Mike just said, "I don't know what to say about that!" Then he told everyone to stop playing with their balls.  I don't get Brian's thing with beach balls.
--The videos and photos they use on the screen are very effective. Brian in the studio (video), Dennis/Carl tributes (with video), the Boys' high school yearbook photos... My 75-year-old father got a kick out of the photos of old cars.
--Brian looked and sounded good. He was off-key a couple of times, but he hit some really high notes, particularly during IJWMFTT.
--Speaking of high notes...Bruce. You have no right to have that range at your age! Al sounded great too.
--I loved how they divided the leads. David sang one and Al sang a few, and Bruce. Everyone was given a chance to shine.
--If I heard correctly, there was one moment after Al's first lead where Brian said, "The great Alan Jardine!" and Al turned to Brian and said "No one here is greater than you," or something like that.
--Every one of them (except Brian) was grinning ear to ear at some point during the show. It was great to see.
--The Pet Sounds set got a huge, huge reception. The applause went on and on. They just stood there proudly and waited for it to quiet down.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »

I was a little pissed off that the beach balls kept going after Brian asked everyone to stop.  I think they are annoying and one came very close to hitting me in the face at one point.  I almost considered grabbing it and deflating it.  But I was enjoying the show, I didn't let the beach balls ruin it, but they were definitely distracting.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 12:56:22 AM »

They played Good Timin'! or so I think. I heard it all the way from the parking lot, so maybe I was wrong. I started running and running and running. I also missed This Whole World and everything before Good Timin'.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »

They played Good Timin'! or so I think. I heard it all the way from the parking lot, so maybe I was wrong. I started running and running and running. I also missed This Whole World and everything before Good Timin'.

They did play Good Timin'!  Brian sang Carl's parts, sounded excellent.  Smiley

And PNC really needs a better parking system.  If the parking were more organized, my dad and I would have gotten to the stage in time to see the show start.  We got there much earlier than you did but we still missed a few songs.  But I suppose the fact that they played almost (or over) three hours should make up for it.  It's still one of the greatest concerts I've ever been to.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:42 AM »

The traffic off the parkway getting in was horrible, too. If all went according to plan, we would've gotten there at 7, but I don't think I got into the venue until it was almost 8.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 05:01:33 AM »

The traffic off the parkway getting in was horrible, too. If all went according to plan, we would've gotten there at 7, but I don't think I got into the venue until it was almost 8.

The understatement of the century!  Leaving the venue was bad enough.  Brand "appearing" merchandise was being sold to the concert goers, unchecked by any in authority.  Guys with armloads of bargain t-shirts approached cars offering a deal.

Then, traffic was vexiciously re-routed to force concertgoers, unfamiliar with the local roads, on and off the Garden State Parkway, in what appeared to me to be a means of collecting additional tolls.  There was no obvious construction going on, and no apparent safety reason.   

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 05:18:10 AM »

And PNC really needs a better parking system.  If the parking were more organized, my dad and I would have gotten to the stage in time to see the show start.  

I've been to a couple of shows at the PNC (one was Brian), and I don't remember this much disorganization before. I think part of it was the huge crowd. But the PNC should have a system for handling it, you're right. There were barely even any signs to tell you where to go. Amazing, I didn't even hear anyone complaining. Getting out of the parking lot was like herding cattle, and I didn't hear any beeping horns or general temper-flaring.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 05:19:28 AM »

Then he told everyone to stop playing with their balls.

Grin
Seriously, those beach balls would get on my nerves, too.

Hope "Prayer" will be back in the set soon. I'd love to hear it in Germany.

Facebook:

Al Jardine
Thanks to our amazing band and crew for doin' it again every show! (photo courtesy Mary Ann Jardine)

Al Jardine
Happy Birthday Bruce! (photo courtesy Mary Ann Jardine)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 05:34:18 AM »

Great show last night; Brian, and everyone, in strong voice. Best I've ever heard Brian, loud, clear and crisp. Pretty funny with the Beach Balls thing too. Al, as always, strong. My wife said, he sounds like he's still in his teens....so clear and strong on his vocals. Same with Bruce; great version of Disney Girls. And Mike too. Carl and Dennis tributes were really cool.......wonderful song selection, including Good Timin lead by Brian and Al's Come Go With Me, which he of course rules! I saw them in AC  a few weeks ago and they were great there too, this was my first time seeing them in this venue since Carl's last show in August of 97, right here. If this is the last time I see them perform, I'm very happy......this was a show to remember, one for the ages. Thanks guys!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »

Hope someone took some videos of these two songs, i somehow strongly doubt they'll stay in the setlist.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:37:44 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx