gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681486 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 09:34:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will you go and see Mike's Beach Boys after the 50th Anniversary tour ends?  (Read 19441 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 08:43:54 AM »

I would see the Mike and Bruce show, sure. They've been stepping up their live sound and setlists since 2004, and they've only become better. Even on the meat and potatoes shows they've sounded better. Why not? People need to get over their ridiculous biases.
HeroAndVillain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 09:12:02 AM »

Is it actually known that the post-Brian tour (possibly tours) will be only Mike and Bruce?
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »

Sure I'd see them, at a maximum ticket price of $30. No more. It is what it is, and doesn't make for a bad night out. For the same reason I'd see Creedence Clearwater Revisited or some Turtles retro package tour. Good timin'.

Aw but Brian performing Gershwin at Toronto's Massey Hall - that's a memory bank moment...

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »

Upon further reflection, if they had Al and Dave with them, I'd consider it, sure. I'd rather see them fill a lot of those spaces with family members than with people like Adrian Baker, though.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 09:26:25 AM »

Upon further reflection, if they had Al and Dave with them, I'd consider it, sure. I'd rather see them fill a lot of those spaces with family members than with people like Adrian Baker, though.
and Adrian Baker was last with them, like when?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gcplayer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:32 AM »

Yes, I would see them again.  I passed the last two times they came to Oklahoma, but I will see them again if they do.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »

and Adrian Baker was last with them, like when?

Don't you know the rules? When comparing touring bands, you have to use 2002 as the base, when Brian's band were doing long, interesting sets full of songs like Til I Die and Busy Doin' Nothin', while Mike's band had Adrian Baker and Mike Kowalski in it and was doing shorter sets of only surf songs.

If you actually let in any information from after 2002 you might take the side of the Evil Mike Love in something, and then where would you be?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »

No from me. Price or line-up has nothing to do with it.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »

Well I saw them before the reunion...so why not after too?  It's still my favorite band.  I'll go watch any of the principle's band's and enjoy the songs being performed live on stage. 
Jason
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »

Well I saw them before the reunion...so why not after too?  It's still my favorite band.  I'll go watch any of the principle's band's and enjoy the songs being performed live on stage. 

This. Good to know there's at least one true fan on here as opposed to a bunch of phonies.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »

Razz at ya!!!

Grin

Will always support and be interested in what they want to do, but not going to gigs does mean we will not be fans.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »

This. Good to know there's at least one true fan on here as opposed to a bunch of phonies.

sometimes, a facepalm isn't enough.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »

Yup, there's no reason why I should stay at home if they're playing somewher near me. The C50 shows were magical but that's no reason to stop going to shows!  Cool
Jason
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »

Truth hurts, doesn't it? Smiley
Jason
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »

Yup, there's no reason why I should stay at home if they're playing somewher near me. The C50 shows were magical but that's no reason to stop going to shows!  Cool

Again...this.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »

Truth hurts, doesn't it? Smiley

No, i just don't understand why do you need to be such a douchebag about this whole thing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »

You're speaking nonsense, and baiting people besides.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »

I like all of the Beach Boys. Mike and Bruce included. After first seeing the Beach Boys in 1978, through the years, and then blown away with the 50th tour, I'm really disappointed that Al and David aren't staying on with the touring group. I want to remember them all together, thats all.

This thread wasn't meant to set up a Brian vs. Mike vs. Al debate. Sorry if part of it turned out that way.  Jedi Duel  Shocked

I don't think you are a phony if you don't support Mike and Bruce. I hope they do well! It is a watered-down product, though.

My point is that Brian needs the Beach Boys and the Beach Boys need Brian and each other. Brian has accomplished everything in his solo career that I think he wants to. These guys need to find a way to stay together. Look at how much bigger and better this tour and album has been, 50th anniversary aside.

No phony here, just a caring fan.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:49:42 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Jason
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »

No, i just don't understand why do you need to be such a douchebag about this whole thing.

It's called "being a true fan". Being a true fan means that even if the band splits into the three factions again you still go to see them if they're around. I shouldn't have to explain this on a fan forum, but hey.

Response above applies here.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »

It's called "being a true fan". Being a true fan means that even if the band splits into the three factions again you still go to see them if they're around. I shouldn't have to explain this on a fan forum, but hey.

Response above applies here.

I cannot understand why more people don't feel this way. Especially those that call themselves dedicated fans. Someone who calls themself a fan shouldn't turn their noses up at one incarnation of the band and pass up the oppurtunity to hear their favourite music performed live.

I'm not trying to call anyone out and say they aren't true fans (though it may seem like it), no malice intended.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

Guess I'm inferior as a fan, but I'm also the sort of guy who wasn't interested in Pink Floyd shows in the 90s because Roger Waters wasn't with them.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

I understand to a point, because it took me 9 years to go see Mike & Bruce after Carl passed. Without Carl and Al I just couldn't imagine them being any good, but I found out in 2006 that I was wrong. But it took me actually going to a show to prove myself wrong. I guess seeing both Brian's & Al's shows, and how good they both were showed me that if they could be good, then so could Mike & Bruce; and they were!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:18:23 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 11:25:54 AM »

If David Marks is there - Yes and I'll pay to see it.

If David Marks is not there - No, unless it's free admission and it's within walking distance.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »

Plus, not one band offers the "whole package."  You have to go see all the different bands to get to see different songs being performed.  Al does "Wild Honey" and "Honkin Down The Highway" among other gems, Brian may do more SMiLE stuff, Mike/Bruce do more of the 60's stuff and they have Cowsill, which for my money is the guy I want to see playing drums on these songs...hands down the best drummer of any of the bands.  So each group has a lot to offer. So, if it takes them all touring in different groups to hear these great songs--so be it.  I like these guys so why not support them?  If they come together for another round of reunion shows...I'll be there too!
Jason
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »

I understand that folks may not view the Michael and Bruce band in the same light as Brian or even Al's band; I certainly understand that the licensing of the Beach Boys name to Michael certainly rubs people the wrong way.

Personal biases aside...they're still alive, they're still touring. They won't keep it up forever. Might as well enjoy them while they're still around.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx