gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:33:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lonely World  (Read 7524 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »

LONELY WORLD

Hey Everyone, it's time! My second LP, "Lonely World" is finally releasing after LOTS of mastering... man that's tough.
I leave you with the classic "Art is never finished, just abandoned" quote, and I think it's finally time.

The album will be a bandcamp exclusive for now, with Amazon in the near future, this is for several reasons.

- Bandcamp offers a universal file format, so you can listen with no limitations.

- It's lossless (the album was recorded ALL LOSSLESS for the first time.)

- All the money goes to me, and not an outside source (Plus, all the money is put into my savings fund directly, so it's not "bullsh*t cash"

- It's just faster.

So why buy on Bandcamp? Well... You get the "Bonus EP" featuring a message from me, and various special album tidbits found NOWHERE ELSE (until the physical release, which only happens if you support this!) (Also, I'll find a way to discount those dramatically for you guys, so you don't waste money if they do come out)

Sounds good? Great! Now that that's out of the way, on to the fun stuff!

The album was recorded, written, and produced solely by my 15 year old self, with absolutely no help outside feedback. The setup is basically just a mixing board, and a PC, with obvious instruments and mics. The current overall budget was around $1500 - $1800 from my parents and sales of "Out Of The Box" and other various songs. This album will undoubtedly help with
the upgrades required, but I have a set limit to how much of my gain I can spend, because we are basically a not-for-profit, and are more focused on my overall future.

So, enough gibberish, one last thing...
Mixing in Stereo is hard, Brian said it best, you just have less control. This mix was my first "true" Stereo attempt, and I learned a lot. This mix is the best "universal sounding" mix I could muster,
I find that Headphones with good Bass and the Car sound best, but that's completely up to you guys. I hope you enjoy it either way :D
The album should be setup with iTunes, but some settings like "Gapless album" may need to be turned on.

The biggest "upgrade" IMO were the vocal mixing, now they are much cleaner then before, still not "perfect" but MUCH better. Plus, those harmonies!!!!

Well, without further ado... LINK: http://mikeleroy.bandcamp.com/album/lonely-world

Oh, by the way, I get NOWHERE without specific feedback, that's why I post here, I love the great feedback! So please, don't let me down!  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:54:09 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »

My pre-release statements:

The album will be digitally released as close to July 4th as possible.
It will cost $10 and be available on bandcamp first, then on amazon shortly after.

Please guys, as fellow musicians and music lovers, support a growing musician,
I think I've proven myself to be improving at a somewhat staggering rate, and I believe that even
your feedback is a huge part of the growth. So this is both a thanks and a plead.
Please at least check out the album when it's released, a lot of you absolutely loved "Half Alseep" which is featured in an even better mix here, and I believe there's a few stronger tracks as well. I really think this is a great album, and I never felt like I had to fill any space. As matter of fact, I've only receiently become bored of a few tracks, (not really bored, just not obsessively listening) and many of you know that while working on an album tracks can really start to bore you after months of work.

So, as a very young musician, I'd like to formally thank everyone for supporting me so far, and hopefully this time you'll like it enough to buy a few copies Smiley

Until the 4th, stay cool guys! --Mike

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »

Album Spoiler Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6uvWgx67lU&feature=youtu.be

Features some of the albums better tracks!

FEEDBACK PLEASE!

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »

Intriguing. "So Long" in particular is catchy.

Since you're asking, here's some technical feedback: what kind of microphone are you using to record your vocals? On your next project, you might find it useful -- and easier to mix with -- if you switch to something with more top end. Even a lower-cost condenser mic would be very freeing.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »

I agree, but I need money to upgrade Smiley
I'm hoping this gets me going :D

Also: I'm talking more about the songs, technically speaking I know it's not top notch but that's to be expected from a basement Razz
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:12:01 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »

"Half Asleep" sounds like it has roots in a great Brian Wilson-esque waltz circa 1968. Cool chord changes happening in there. I agree that "So Long" has a nice, catchy hook. And "Lonely World" has that kind of Friends vibe to it, too. Nice harmony stacks on that one.

As someone who's recorded the majority of his work in small home studios, I find the more you do, the easier and better sounding it gets. Compression and EQ are great for making vocals stand out more, especially if your mic choices are limited.

All that really matters is staying close to whatever your true vision for the music is... don't get too distracted with the technical aspect of it. Seems like you're doing fine with what you have, thus far. Looking forward to hearing more!

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 06:48:01 AM »

Thanks man, the vision stays strong here, and I've certainly adapted to the studio.
I think a good song can make even silly mixing sound great (Smiley Smile anyone?)

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »

The list, by the way of things to get with any "donations" from album purchases, are

-New Keyboard
-A New Vocal Mic
-A Few Drum Mics

I used the Ode to Saratoga and Out Of The Box money to buy a really nice PC for the studio, so I'm not buying stupid stuff here haha

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again - 'Half Asleep' is one of the coolest songs I've heard on this sub-forum.

I also think the others sound interesting, especially 'So Long'. But I'll have to agree with Austin,... the overall sound of your songs would really improve with a better recording set-up for the vocals. I'm crossing my fingers that this release will enable you to upgrade 'cause considering your age (15, right?) you really show a lot of talent!  Smiley

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 08:54:31 AM »

Thanks a ton, I recorded the bulk of that song dry (I didn't really sit down and write it) in the week following my Grandma's death, and I really felt "Half Asleep" so it just kinda happened! haha...

And I agree, it was also very difficult to mix the vocals for similar reasons, but the best way to fix that is to hope I can upgrade off of this album's sales. I have a few mics in mind after hearing people here using them :D

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »

Official Update: All Digital Copies of the album purchased in July will come with a 18 Minute Bonus EP of Backing Tracks and Vocal Tracks!

MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 01:36:12 PM »

wow i like what i'm hearing. how soon do you think it will be on amazon?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »

It comes out on my site on the 4th, I'm planning on releasing it as soon to then on amazon as possible, it all depends on their speed.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »

An update: The album is currently in it's final "listen"

Amazon may not be up on time, but Bandcamp will be available on the 4th.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »

Album comes out soon! Get Ready! May even be midnight!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:23:01 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »

First post updated.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »

Hey guys, the album's up!

Please PLEASE, if you listen and like it, buy it, I only stream it because I care more about feedback then money.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:53:49 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »

Just submitted it to Amazon, and updated my site: mikeleroymusic.com

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »

You absolutely rock! Don't give this up, man. You're onto something. 15 years old..... I mean, Jesus.

Like the sombre mood - all the ballads are wonderful, and the mix is all fine - especially your vocals, a big big improvement on Out Of The Box. Everything's clear. I just love the way it flows, it's a great 'album' in that respect. And all them ballads. I'm impressed!

I'll buy it when I can eke some disposable income out of my meagre pay, OK?

Now.... what's next?  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »

Thanks man! Nice feedback, I'm happy the vocals worked out nicely!
I'm getting a new condenser mic tomorrow for vocals from now on, so that'll be even cleaner!

And also, no problem man, I understand, I was just saying if you listen to it free and like it, buying is nice Smiley
Thanks a ton dude! I'm looking forward to more feedback!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »

I took the advice of earlier posts, and invested in a condenser mic thanks to this, and it sounds much warmer! Great idea guys! I still want more feedback though!

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »

As promised, here's my track-by-track review:

Overture - Great way to kick things off. Nice keyboard work that evokes Ray Manzerak's style at points. Leads nicely into...
So Long - Nice and upbeat tune with catchy melody. The ritard towards the end makes for a great musical turn. Definitely Smile-esque in instrumentation. Lyrically, it reminds me of The Beach Boys Love You or Sweet Insanity/Wilson-Paley era Brian.
Into Thin Air - Dreamy tune. I especially like the vocalizing and the variation on the theme towards the end.
Half Asleep - As I have stated before, this reminds me of Friends-era Brian Wilson waltz tunes.
1000 Words - One of my favorites on here. Terrific keyboard groove and the synths add a nice touch.
Moonlit Lake - I think this just might be my favorite. The best instrumental work on the album, in my opinion, is on this track.
Open The Windows - Nice little ditty. Upbeat, kind of reminds me of The Stampeders' "Sweet City Woman" or something by Three Dog Night.
Everybody's Doing It - Heavy, man.
Our Brother's Keeper - Spacey and somewhat detached until the harmonies come in and bring it all home. I dig the refrain and acoustic solo especially.
Doesn't She Know - This one has an almost spooky air about it, musically. Almost like listening to the sessions from around the time Smile had fallen apart. Chills down the spine.
Lonely World - Your vocals sound great stacked. This track showcases that well.
We're There Again - Go out with a bang, so to speak. I think this is a terrific way to close the album.

All in all, it's a good listen. Brian fans are sure to dig it. I'm impressed that this is coming from a 15 year old. My belief in the generations after mine has been somewhat restored. I thank you.

Coo album, Mike. You should be proud of yourself.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »

Nice work. I think the most noticeable aspect of your songwriting is the quality of the chord progressions, which are consistently interesting and, more often than not, surprising in the best way. There are some really standout arrangements here too, and in more specific detail, I especially like how you're utilizing the guitar. It blends well with the keyboard parts without sounding homogenous. I'll second the posters here who are encouraging you to keep at it, because you're clearly onto something.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of recorded music is the fact that the technology often plays a significant musical role, if we don't easily recognize those contributions. At the same time, that can be very frustrating to DIY producers and engineers, who start out lacking the resources and expertise to take advantage of that facet of the art. But having been exposed to both basement and non-basement studios, I've realized something: past a certain threshold, I'd much rather listen to a home recording produced by an expert than a studio recording produced by a total amateur.

So how do you get past that threshold? Telling you to go buy a bunch of stuff isn't meaningful feedback, but there's still a base amount you'll need in order to advance your abilities as a producer and recording artist: understanding (and owning) a couple different kinds of microphones and their best applications, and then figuring out the best way to capture a source (which is two things, really: microphone placement, and understanding what a preamp is). These are as significant of tools for a producer just as a choice of guitar is for a guitarist. But just as many great guitarists learned on sub-$100 guitars, passing the threshold is pretty easy with a little bit of research and time (and, well, money, but you can diminish the importance of that with the right research).

Second, and this is really the more important piece of the two: scrutinize your productions and performances, and learn how to become an expert with the resources at your disposal. Always be looking for places where you can better the finer details: how can I make the sound of these drums match the song's meaning? Can I get a better take of those harmonies? How does this sound over speakers instead of headphones? This isn't about micro-level technical stuff (Do I use this EQ plugin or this EQ plugin?). Find the intersection between the technology and your performances and study it relentlessly.

It's obvious that you've got a lot of talent and potential. Continue to be open-minded, ask for feedback, and read about your favorite recordings in detail. The rest will develop over time. Good luck, and congrats on the album.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »

Thanks for the great feedback, both of you!

I completely understand, I mean, look at the late-60's Beach Boys!!

Still, the Mic sounds amazing :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:25:24 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »

What kind of microphone did you end up getting?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx