gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:45:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem Child is criminally underrated  (Read 18342 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »

I like it in that "it's so horrendously '80s" way. And Carl and Mike both sound pretty great. It really is a shame that Brian and the guys didn't make an album together from around '87 to '90. Cuz even though it would've sounded incredibly '80s, everybody was sounding pretty great.

And by the way, even Bruce is embarrassed by the "Problem Child" song. I remember reading an interview with him, and i'm pretty sure the question was "is there a song you wish you had never written?" and his answer was something like "yes, and that song is the title song to an unnamed movie."

It would've been great if the BBs would've been asked to do a theme song for the Problem Child sequel, also.  (Technically, there were two sequels - the second sequel was a crappy TV movie with a different "Junior"). And (the horror), imagine if the song was contractually obligated to be called "Problem Child 2", and that had to also be the main lyric? I bet they'd have rhymed "2" with "too" and unintentional hilarity would've doubtlessly ensued Smiley

But seriously, I feel confident in saying that this exact lyrical scenario would've happened, and that they'd totally have written and performed a song called "Problem Child 2" if they'd have been offered enough money (Bruce woulda put his embarrassment aside for cash).

Speaking of Problem Child embarrassment, does anyone else think that Carl wore dark glasses in the video as a sign of him being somewhat embarrassed by the song and video? I'm serious.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:09:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2014, 01:31:50 AM »

Speaking of Problem Child embarrassment, does anyone else think that Carl wore dark glasses in the video as a sign of him being somewhat embarrassed by the song and video? I'm serious.

Ya might be on to something; Crocodile Rock and Rock and Roll to the Rescue vids also feature dark shades Carl.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 03:23:16 AM »

Ya might be on to something; Crocodile Rock and Rock and Roll to the Rescue vids also feature dark shades Carl.

Still Cruisin', Summer In Paradise and Summer Of Love vids too!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »

Just curious...does anyone know if the group contributed any instrumentation to Problem Child, or was it just a case of overdubbing vocals only?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »

The song is fine, but like most of their MTV-era videos, the video is embarrassing. How many times did they have Bruce playing bass and Mike on sax? And I wonder if the younger fans were disappointed when they went to see the band in concert, and Bruce just stood behind an unamplified keyboard all night, and someone else on stage did Mike's sax solos?  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2014, 11:13:14 PM »

The song is fine, but like most of their MTV-era videos, the video is embarrassing. How many times did they have Bruce playing bass and Mike on sax? And I wonder if the younger fans were disappointed when they went to see the band in concert, and Bruce just stood behind an unamplified keyboard all night, and someone else on stage did Mike's sax solos?  LOL

We're just lucky that in the late 80s/early 90s let's-skewer-artists-who-mime-like-Milli-Vanilli era, that Mike wasn't publicly taken to task for the Kokomo and Problem Child sax "faux-los"! I'm only half joking.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:14:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »

Embarrassing sh*t is what this song is. Though when you've recorded as many timeless songs as The Beach Boys have, you're allowed to release a clunker every once in a while.

No mas, por favor.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:58 AM »

Embarrassing sh*t is what this song is. Though when you've recorded as many timeless songs as The Beach Boys have, you're allowed to release a clunker every once in a while.
I really thought it would be a hit when I first heard it at Tower Records in the summer of 1990. Still surprises me that they couldn't ride out the success of Kokomo for a couple of years, with a few more chart entries. I  thought radio would be all over Still Cruisin', but it didn't make any impact beyond the AC format.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:04 AM »

I really thought it would be a hit when I first heard it at Tower Records in the summer of 1990. Still surprises me that they couldn't ride out the success of Kokomo for a couple of years, with a few more chart entries. I  thought radio would be all over Still Cruisin', but it didn't make any impact beyond the AC format.

I think if Rock and Roll to the Rescue had been the followup it could have done much better than it did in 86.
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »

Well i had both arms in the air listening to this one but that was a response to Carl's opening line "Who wants to throw up?".  I then took responsibility.
I would like that 3.49 back plus the 5 it took to mop the floor and the £3.47 i spent on disinfectant please.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2014, 07:17:02 AM »

Where do you get disinfectant for £3.47 please? LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »

Tesco ----Dettol Disinfectant Antiseptic 750Ml

glad i could clear that up !
bluesno1fann
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2014, 08:10:30 PM »

It may not be criminally underrated, but it's still highly underrated. Certainly doesn't deserve the criticism it gets, and it a hell of a lot better than Kokomo. Though the "Naa na na na na" is extremely annoying, it is still one hell of a catchy song. Excellent rocking vocals by Carl! A perfect guilty pleasure, if there is one.

The music video is an embarrassment to the Beach Boys, though.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx