gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:18:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem Child is criminally underrated  (Read 18582 times)
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »

I know there are several BB fans that can't get past the Pet Sounds/Smile-era music and want nothing but this but let's face it ... the boys hit their prime artistically a long time ago. Now all that is left is the other stuff (not counting the surprisingly great TWGMTR). Still, there is a lot of bad music out there made by these guys as a band and solo but I have to say Problem Child may easily be their best song released in 1990, ahead of Somewhere Near Japan.

It is a very, very catchy song with fun lyrics and a GREAT lead by the great Carl Wilson. It also had a fun, if not cheesy video. To me, it is way better than Kokomo and that song somehow made it to the top of the charts. I just want to know what the diehards think of the song ... good and bad.

For those who haven't seen the video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EeSuuCwaQ4
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »

I know there are several BB fans that can't get past the Pet Sounds/Smile-era music and want nothing but this but let's face it  ...

That's a pretty bad way to start the conversation.

But i have been listening to Problem Child recently and talked about it with -another BB fan- friend about how catchy it is!
well yeah it's the 90's and all, it's supposed to be a commercial hit and you definitely can hear that through the song, but still the melody is very good imo.

Obviously not a fan of the sax solo but overall i think it's a cool guilty pleasure, and Carl is great -as always- on that track.

It's definitely not Summer Of Love.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:56:13 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »

No, it's just criminal.

Honk! Honk!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »

No, it's just criminal.

You beat me to it!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »

Listening to this again has brought too much crime to my neighborhood. Where is the dark knight when you need him?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »

Listening to this again has brought too much crime to my neighborhood. Where is the dark knight when you need him?

I'm still busy kickin' Spring Vacation's ass.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »

Problem Child is a great song. probably only because Carl is singing it, but it's still a great song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »

The melody and lead vocal are strong. Too bad the about the lyrics and gated drums.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SG7
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 12:05:50 PM »

I think Somewhere Near Japan is in class of its own compared to Problem Child lol.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »

It's not THAT bad. Still bad though. It's just because it's the Beach Boys. If this had been from a one hit wonder or something, it would be considered a guilty pleasure. (if sh*tty 80's music is your thing of course)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »

It's not THAT bad. Still bad though. It's just because it's the Beach Boys. If this had been from a one hit wonder or something, it would be considered a guilty pleasure. (if sh*tty 80's music is your thing of course)

I hate the 80's and enjoy some quite Beach Boys albums, and when i hear this, i don't really care if it's from the same guys who sang God Only Knows or if it's from the shitty 80's music, i just enjoy the melody and the singer's voice, really.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:15:41 PM »

I really like the edited version without the children's laugh. Some live versions were great as well though Mike seemed really embarrassed doing the intro part which made me giggle. At one point I gave a friend of mine some Beach Boys files to rehearse, he was our drummer, and the only two songs that he  liked were "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Problem Child".

Didn't Bruce once said he regretted doing that song and "Make It Big"? Well, I'd take both over "Kokomo" any day.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »

I really like the edited version without the children's laugh. Some live versions were great as well though Mike seemed really embarrassed doing the intro part which made me giggle. At one point I gave a friend of mine some Beach Boys files to rehearse, he was our drummer, and the only two songs that he  liked were "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Problem Child".

Didn't Bruce once said he regretted doing that song and "Make It Big"? Well, I'd take both over "Kokomo" any day.

Is there any video of it? never seen or even heard that song played live.
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

I am currently downloading an MP3 of a live performance of it from 1990. I will upload it to YouTube when complete. I can't wait to hear it!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »

BTW, what do people think of their cover of Crocodile Rock?
The song, not video, which is horrid.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »

I really like the edited version without the children's laugh. Some live versions were great as well though Mike seemed really embarrassed doing the intro part which made me giggle. At one point I gave a friend of mine some Beach Boys files to rehearse, he was our drummer, and the only two songs that he  liked were "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Problem Child".

Is there any video of it? never seen or even heard that song played live.

The Problem Child video is so staggeringly dreadful it's a real guilty pleasure. It's hard to say what's the worst/best moment - Al's hair perhaps, or Mike pulling a 'hilarious' surprised face as he blows bubbles out of his sax. I think Bruce getting electrocuted is probably the highlight - pity he was only acting...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:42:28 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »

BTW, what do people think of their cover of Crocodile Rock?
The song, not video, which is horrid.

Never heard the original so it sounds great ... just not that memorable.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »

It's Pretty disgusting.  Clown music.
Jason
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »

Bruce has said that he thought Problem Child was the worst thing the band ever did. Note that Problem Child is a Johnston/Melcher composition.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »

Bruce has said that he thought Problem Child was the worst thing the band ever did. Note that Problem Child is a Johnston/Melcher composition.

Bruce will downplay a lot of what he does. Including his Grammy-winning song.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »

Bruce is a music performer. Excellent skills with piano and lovely voice in his heyday (and to some extent still)
Almost all the music he wrote however is pretty horrid. Going Pubic is attrocious with its neon 70's glitz, I Write the Songs is nothing really. Problem Child is no exception.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »

I am currently downloading an MP3 of a live performance of it from 1990. I will upload it to YouTube when complete. I can't wait to hear it!

I didn't know they ever played it live, actually it might sound much better! hearing the melody with live sound, thanks for sharing it!
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »

No time for YouTube ... on way to hospital but had time to upload to Sendspace.

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR: PLEASE READ THE RULES.

I got a whole album of live 80's and early 90's performances. Cant wait to see what else is on it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:15:21 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »

Thanks a lot! hope everything is fine for you.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »

No time for YouTube ... on way to hospital but had time to upload to Sendspace.

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR: PLEASE READ THE RULES.

I got a whole album of live 80's and early 90's performances. Cant wait to see what else is on it.

Thanks a lot! This made me realize:
1. Miss Carl
2. The neo-doo wop chorus with Al is not too shabby
3. The dimished chord in the second half of the verse is a nice unexpected touch that adds color to an otherwise typical doo-wop progression. Thanks Bruce, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:15:38 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx