gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:46:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan?  (Read 8774 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »

TIME OUT OF MIND was released in 1997...which makes it a fairly recent record for people like me!

It's generally accepted that Dylan's string of albums from TIME OUT OF MIND through LOVE AND THEFT and MODERN TIMES is his most consistent run since the 60s. They certainly represent the most "band" oriented works of his career with stellar musicianship throughout.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »

If someone wants to hear harmony singing,  I would recommend "Desire" - Emmylou singing with Bob is wonderful; and "The Basement Tapes" - Levon, Rick and Richard singing with Bob is equally splendid.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »

TIME OUT OF MIND was released in 1997...which makes it a fairly recent record for people like me!

It's generally accepted that Dylan's string of albums from TIME OUT OF MIND through LOVE AND THEFT and MODERN TIMES is his most consistent run since the 60s. They certainly represent the most "band" oriented works of his career with stellar musicianship throughout.

I'd include TOGETHER THROUGH LIFE in there as well, without skipping a beat.

Bob seems to be in great spirits (he even laughs a few times on the record) and the interplay between Bob's guys and Mike Campbell and the guy on accordion from Los Lobos is quite awesome.
MBE
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:14 AM »

I'd include TOGETHER THROUGH LIFE in there as well, without skipping a beat.

Bob seems to be in great spirits (he even laughs a few times on the record) and the interplay between Bob's guys and Mike Campbell and the guy on accordion from Los Lobos is quite awesome.
I think half the songs are very good on TTL but the other half I didn't think was as good as his 1997-2005 run.
MBE
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 01:45:23 AM »

Four great semi obscure songs
Mixed Up Confusion
Can You Please Crawl Out Of Your Window
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Nobody Cept You.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »

I first saw Bob Dylan in 2005 and have seen him every year since then. I just went on Bob Links and was pleasantly SHOCKED to see he just added a date on 9/9/12 in Hershey, PA - thirty minutes from my house! The streak will continue! What a great musical year this has been. police
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:15:40 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 10:41:04 AM »

Bob has no equal in contemporary music. I've seen him over 40 times and each time new things happen, incredible artistry. Start with Freewheeling, Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding, Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Slow Train Coming, Infidels, Love and Theft (long list I know) and you'll get a taste of the many faces of Dylan from various periods of his career. Enjoy the ride, it's quite a journey!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »

Glad you mentioned Infidels!

Fantastic album and Jokerman is one of the great Bob epics!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »

Glad you mentioned Infidels!

Fantastic album and Jokerman is one of the great Bob epics!
I never cared for Infidels. The 80's were a pretty bleak time to be a Bob fan.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 05:12:09 AM »

I love Infidels and it's only half the album it could have been. The unreleased stuff from those sessions is mind blowing. A very common Dylan trait, leaving amazing material in the can! Gotta love him. Jokerman is a top flight Dylan song and the vocal performances on the whole album are some of his best imo.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »

The song "I'm not there"  is amazing along with the basement tapes.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »

The Great White Wonder boot is well worth checking out if it can be found. There are various configurations (double album boots/single disc version) of varying sound quality, but if you are a Basement Tapes fan, it's essential. I've seen some ridiculously cheap copies in used shops (for like $5) or so because it usually comes in a plain white sleeve with little or no info, so clueless record shop owners/sellers might have no idea what the hell it is.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »

I've got the official Basement Tapes, along with a vinyl boot called Troubled Troubador, there's some overlap between the two, but the boot has some songs that weren't on the official album - I Shall Be Released, The Mighty Quinn, different versions of Too Much of Nothing, Tears of Rage. A Bootleg Series update is long overdue.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »

I've got the official Basement Tapes, along with a vinyl boot called Troubled Troubador, there's some overlap between the two, but the boot has some songs that weren't on the official album - I Shall Be Released, The Mighty Quinn, different versions of Too Much of Nothing, Tears of Rage. A Bootleg Series update is long overdue.
Yes indeed a bootleg series double or triple cd of Basement Tape stuff would be great. I also want a really good 79 or 80 gospel show released and one from the 88-90 band with GE Smith on guitar, they were amazing shows. A remastered and expanded Hard Rain cd would not go amiss along with a dvd of that film.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »

Yeah, a Hard Rain DVD could be really cool with the un-aired/indoor show included as well. The live 75 Bootleg Rolling Thunder set is cool but nowhere near as snarling as Hard Rain!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »

Are you folks aware of a site called Expecting Rain:

http://expectingrain.com/

It's a terrific REALLY terrific informational site (about BOB), and well as a very engaging and "freewheeling" discussion board, much like this one!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:23:32 PM by heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 05:32:04 AM »

Yeah, a Hard Rain DVD could be really cool with the un-aired/indoor show included as well. The live 75 Bootleg Rolling Thunder set is cool but nowhere near as snarling as Hard Rain!
Live 75 sounds positively relaxed and rehearsed in comparison. Hard Rain is demented at times, those ragged stop/starts in Maggies Farm could only be conducted by Bob Dylan. The version of Shelter from the Storm is one of my very favourite bob performances of all time. Any DVD release should come with complimentary turban!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 05:34:05 AM »

Have anybody seen the movie "Factory Girl" ? What do you think of the Portrayal of Bob Dylan in that movie?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:43:21 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »

Live 75 sounds positively relaxed and rehearsed in comparison. Hard Rain is demented at times, those ragged stop/starts in Maggies Farm could only be conducted by Bob Dylan. The version of Shelter from the Storm is one of my very favourite bob performances of all time. Any DVD release should come with complimentary turban!

Oh man, and what about Idiot Wind from Hard Rain? That might be the all-time Bob moment for me!

The Hard Rain movie is great fun watching the band trying to follow Bob through all his weird stops/starts. He was on some other (awesome) planet that day.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »

Yes indeed a bootleg series double or triple cd of Basement Tape stuff would be great. I also want a really good 79 or 80 gospel show released and one from the 88-90 band with GE Smith on guitar, they were amazing shows. A remastered and expanded Hard Rain cd would not go amiss along with a dvd of that film.
Are you reading my mind?
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 05:22:01 AM »

Are you reading my mind?
All great Bob fans think alike. There's no-one else with that wealth of stuff in the vaults. There is pretty much enough stuff to release an entirely alternative career length retrospective. Amazing artist!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx