gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:54:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys in South America on October... without Brian  (Read 11131 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »

I mean, i guess that's the scenario.
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »

Bruce has said that after September, the reunion is done.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 08:55:42 AM »

Wait a minute...the Beach Boys are going to tour without Brian? Why, this is unheard of!

I know. Right? Unheard of in the long history of the Beach Boys.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 09:06:27 AM »

What's sad about this thread is that any of you thought that this wouldn't happen...
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 09:13:03 AM »

What's sad about this thread is that any of you thought that this wouldn't happen...

Yeah soo sad man, how dare you get hopes and all
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »

Not at all surprised that Brian (apparently) isn't continuing to tour, but I think we all had hopes that Al and David would be kept on...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:18:43 AM by dirwuf » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »

From the google translation of the link:

For the presentation of October 26 at Movistar Arena, the band led by Mike Love and Bruce historical Johnston, will perform 40 songs captive of his discography, which not only became the icon of the beaches, surfing and girls in '60, but also an essential chapter in the universal development of pop and rock.

Love google translate.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »

From the google translation of the link:

For the presentation of October 26 at Movistar Arena, the band led by Mike Love and Bruce historical Johnston, will perform 40 songs captive of his discography, which not only became the icon of the beaches, surfing and girls in '60, but also an essential chapter in the universal development of pop and rock.

Love google translate.
BRUCE "HISTORICAL" JOHNSTON  LOL LOL

Now that's an awesome middle name. I mean, who knows what it says in his ID? Probably there's also something like:

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »

Can't blame Mike & Bruce for continuing their own merry way with "The Beach Boys" the minute after The Beach Boys'  50th Anniversary Tour is finished. Had thought that Bruce might want to book himself some solo studio time to explore his creativity in full, but I guess by the time you've been alive forever, all the songs have already been written. Hip Hip Hooray for Mike and Bruce.
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »

For those more knowledgeable than me...

Would Al even want to continue on if Brian isn't around?...if so, is he basically being told 'thanks but no thanks'?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:33:18 AM by dirwuf » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »

Mike's not wasting any time is he?

lame.

Some of you guys are ridiculous. Brian looks like he will BARELY be able to finish this tour. The Beach Boys are a business. I for one, as much as I love Brian, am thrilled they will continue to tour because I want this to go on for many years to come.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I saw Brian in person last night, up close. He's perfectly fit.
Yes, he is and remember that one of the reasons the tour and the album are thriving is Brian. Myke and Brewcee have the definite possibility of appearing a bit watered down w/o him and or Al on stage. Brian is singing better than ever and Al is as well-Myke's voice is just about over with and Brewcee can't be counted upon to do much.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »

For those more knowledgeable than me...

Would Al even want to continue on if Brian isn't around?...if so, is he basically being told 'thanks but no thanks'?
I can't imagine Brian's involvement to be the reason for Al's eventual decision to stick around. They've had their frictions as well (even if everything's fine now).

Who knows what kind of an agreement the 5 BBs have.. maybe Mike and Bruce left it open for Al and David to stick around, maybe they said "thanks, but no", and maybe Al and Dave want to return to their respective bands/occupations after the reunion?
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »

Wait, what about the possible next album? Will Brian be doing his hard rocking album as a solo project? I can't imagine what's the point/motivation of going back to less-than-chart-bursting solo careers after the success of C50/TWGMTR. Oh well, God only knows it was fun, fun, fun while it lasted.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »

Mike and Bruce played in Buenos Aires in 2005. It was a poorly attended gig: 1/3 (or less) of a 3500 seat theatre. To give you some context: last April, Dylan played at the same place 4 terrific gigs (his management announced that he wanted to do small venue instead of stadium or arenas, even if he had to play more shows). I suppose they got a new promotor this time.  There's a lot of people here who would pay to see  The Beach Boys... if Brian is part of the show. (Frankly, Al's presence wouldn't change anything)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »

I don't think it was a matter of who was in the band (i.e. Mike and Bruce), but of really poor promotion. Same thing happened in Sao Paulo and Uruguay-- where they played a nearly empty semi-private show.

Edit: this was 2009.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »

Wait, what about the possible next album? Will Brian be doing his hard rocking album as a solo project? I can't imagine what's the point/motivation of going back to less-than-chart-bursting solo careers after the success of C50/TWGMTR. Oh well, God only knows it was fun, fun, fun while it lasted.

Yeah we definitely had some godo vibrations, huh ?

teehee.

No but seriously i don't see why the end of the reunion tour means there won't be more Beach Boys albums with Brian.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »

Still, it's worth noticing that only a handful of post-C50 dates have been announced. Perhaps they are fulfilling previous obligations. Perhaps they are slowing the pace for the rest of the year.

I really can't imagine a major label such as Capitol not wanting to release a new album next year.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »

Does anyone doubt, that if they are still healthy enough that there wont be a 50th anniversary for Pet Sounds in a couple of years?? I can't wait!
SBonilla
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »

Yeah we definitely had some godo vibrations, huh ?

teehee.

No but seriously i don't see why the end of the reunion tour means there won't be more Beach Boys albums with Brian.
godo ?
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »

I don't think it was a matter of who was in the band (i.e. Mike and Bruce), but of really poor promotion. Same thing happened in Sao Paulo and Uruguay-- where they played a nearly empty semi-private show.

Edit: this was 2009.

Yes, on 2009 they played Punta del Este's Conrad. True, a few years ago promotion wasn't great but I remember, at least from my circle of acquaintaces, most people weren't interested since Brain wasn't involved.

Another thing is that, really, Latin America is not a region where the Beach Boys are really popular. By popular, I mean artists whose records are in print, and records were bought at the release time: Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd, Creedence... John Fogerty came here last year, did two arenas with great success, but Creedence Clearwater Revisited (CCR original rhythm session plus hired guns) has been playing here with great success since 1998..... Mike and Bruce never could get that kind of response here, even with Brian...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:58:40 PM by Pablo. » Logged
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »

I agree with the point above:  Brian isn't touring as the Beach Boys, so the comparison to a Brian solo tour is not valid.  If Brian and Al were to mount a "Beach Boys" tour, there would be complaints from all sides, but it would still have twice the number of original BB members than the Mike and Bruce show.  

And yeah, there is hardly anything unusual about the Beach Boys touring without Brian, but from my point of view, it's hard to have a credible Beach Boys without at least one Wilson brother.  Obviously Carl and Dennis are in no position to be touring these days, so that leaves Brian.  Having Al and Dave along with Mike and Bruce would make it much more credible, but the current touring lineup is pretty much the only truly credible lineup of the band still possible.  You really need to have Mike, Brian and Al, plus one or two other past official members.  

Having said that, I don't have a problem with Mike and Bruce touring and calling themselves the Beach Boys (obviously, they have the legal right to do so)...  but it still isn't the Beach Boys.  If Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood were to mount a tour as the Rolling Stones, people wouldn't take it seriously, and attendance would be way down.  If Roger Daltrey and Kenny Jones were to mount a tour as The Who, same thing would happen.  When Mike and Bruce does it...  people don't take it seriously and the attendance is way down.  I'm sure that the current reunion fever will help sell some tickets, but ultimately, it's not helping the band's credibility.  The Mike n' Bruce show played Fuji Rock in Japan several years back, and I know people who felt like the show was kind of a scam.  They didn't expect Brian to be there, but they didn't expect there to be only one original Beach Boy, either.  As a result of that show, there are people in Japan who jokingly refer to the Mike and Bruce show as "za biichi boi" (The Beach Boy), with no plural.  No-one should be surprised that Mike and Bruce are still going to be touring, as Bruce has stated they would do multiple times in interviews.  But, seeing that the band has just re-established its credibility in a huge way, I think you can definitely question the wisdom of doing so.    
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »

And the news are 'Beach Boys in their 50th anniversary tour'... 'their first record in decades' ...  but Mike and Bruce band.

Is it confirmed that Al and David at least won't be joining them?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 10:30:28 PM »

I agree with the point above:  Brian isn't touring as the Beach Boys, so the comparison to a Brian solo tour is not valid.  If Brian and Al were to mount a "Beach Boys" tour, there would be complaints from all sides, but it would still have twice the number of original BB members than the Mike and Bruce show.  

And yeah, there is hardly anything unusual about the Beach Boys touring without Brian, but from my point of view, it's hard to have a credible Beach Boys without at least one Wilson brother.  Obviously Carl and Dennis are in no position to be touring these days, so that leaves Brian.  Having Al and Dave along with Mike and Bruce would make it much more credible, but the current touring lineup is pretty much the only truly credible lineup of the band still possible.  You really need to have Mike, Brian and Al, plus one or two other past official members.  

Having said that, I don't have a problem with Mike and Bruce touring and calling themselves the Beach Boys (obviously, they have the legal right to do so)...  but it still isn't the Beach Boys.  If Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood were to mount a tour as the Rolling Stones, people wouldn't take it seriously, and attendance would be way down.  If Roger Daltrey and Kenny Jones were to mount a tour as The Who, same thing would happen.  When Mike and Bruce does it...  people don't take it seriously and the attendance is way down.  I'm sure that the current reunion fever will help sell some tickets, but ultimately, it's not helping the band's credibility.  The Mike n' Bruce show played Fuji Rock in Japan several years back, and I know people who felt like the show was kind of a scam.  They didn't expect Brian to be there, but they didn't expect there to be only one original Beach Boy, either.  As a result of that show, there are people in Japan who jokingly refer to the Mike and Bruce show as "za biichi boi" (The Beach Boy), with no plural.  No-one should be surprised that Mike and Bruce are still going to be touring, as Bruce has stated they would do multiple times in interviews.  But, seeing that the band has just re-established its credibility in a huge way, I think you can definitely question the wisdom of doing so.    

yes, Bruce isn't an original member, but Al barely counts as an original member. he was on their first recording then was out for years. I think it's stupid that Bruce doesn't count as a "real member of the band", he was on frickin' Pet Sounds for god's sake.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »

yes, Bruce isn't an original member, but Al barely counts as an original member. he was on their first recording then was out for years. I think it's stupid that Bruce doesn't count as a "real member of the band", he was on frickin' Pet Sounds for god's sake.

I agree that Bruce should be counted as a "real member," and an underrated one at that.  But not as an original member.  So you still have the specter of the band touring with one original member. 

BTW, Al was not out for years--he left in February '62 and rejoined in April '63.   Granted, it seems that his return wasn't made official until David left, but he was replacing Brian in many live gigs and played bass or sang on some of Surfer Girl. 

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »

This "original member" stuff is silly! Bon Scott wasn't the original singer of AC/DC. Need I say more?

Bruce is one of only three Beach Boys heard on God Only Knows and he wrote Disney Girls!

He is BRUCE HISTORICAL JOHNSON!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:48:29 AM by Erik H » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx