gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:39:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 37: 6/24 Nikon Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh, NY  (Read 45494 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »

I think the most heartbreaking part of the show was seeing Brian in action for the first time.  He was "on" for the first set and into the show, but all of the Brian-centric songs in the second set seemed to tire him out, such that he didn't bother playing the bass he strapped on for the encore.  I didn't notice how, but during "Fun, Fun, Fun", the bass was removed and he was left awkwardly standing on the stage, waiting for the song to end.  It seems to be a miracle that he has managed to stay on the tour for so long, because you definitely get a sense of him not wanting to be there.

I wonder why Brian seems more miserable on this tour than his own solo tours.  He's getting a ton of love from the crowd and has to do much less than usual.  He was far more animated on his own.. rarely missed cues, etc.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2012, 05:39:22 AM »

It's great to see how the tour is evolving!
Brian must have had a bad day yesterday. He'll never look euphoric to be there, for sure, but given what we've come to see and know, that's no reason for us to think he wants out.

Regarding the spurious soundcheck report from above, about Mike not wanting to do Our Prayer, it must be said he has been gracious if that actually happened. It's his call, in the end, and he seems to have agreed to do songs few people imagined before the tour. In any case, and if that report is true, this is yet one more episode of the guys setting aside their egos and preferences and being team players. And that's great.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2012, 05:44:14 AM »

This tour is bringing a whole new meaning to "Brian's Back"..

Seriously though, I'm guessing it's bothering him quite a bit...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:45:26 AM by dirwuf » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »

David sounds very good on getcha Back. Sounds much like Christian Love. He should sing some Beach Boys studio recordings with this commercial feel.

Oh and how about a setlist for this show as well ?

EDIT:

Is that Brian on Getcha Back setting in at 1:51 a little out of tune ?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:39:41 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »

Re setlist: sorry I didn't keep track...I'm pretty sure the only changes to the second set (from the night before) were the addition of Our Prayer and the dropping of All Summer Long...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:53:26 AM by dirwuf » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »

Thank you Zach! youdaman
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »

Maybe someone has noted this before.  David's singing reminds me of Steve Miller.  I really notice it on his recent solo stuff.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:21 AM »

I wonder why Brian seems more miserable on this tour than his own solo tours.

He doesn't and he isn't.

He was far more animated on his own.. rarely missed cues, etc.

He was the front man to the show. He isn't now. And he has missed more cues on many (but not all) solo gigs. That's why Foskett's there, and has been from the start.

I think the most heartbreaking part of the show was seeing Brian in action for the first time.  He was "on" for the first set and into the show, but all of the Brian-centric songs in the second set seemed to tire him out, such that he didn't bother playing the bass he strapped on for the encore.  I didn't notice how, but during "Fun, Fun, Fun", the bass was removed and he was left awkwardly standing on the stage, waiting for the song to end.  It seems to be a miracle that he has managed to stay on the tour for so long, because you definitely get a sense of him not wanting to be there.

Given that you've never seen Brian live before, I can safely say that you have no idea what you're talking about. The reason why he has stayed on the tour for so long is because he enjoys it and wants to be on it. Trust me -- Brian does not sound that good if he doesn't want to be there.

I will grant you that the bass thing is a little awkward. Brian didn't do it for the first handful of shows on this tour, either.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:07:48 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »

It's great to see how the tour is evolving!
Brian must have had a bad day yesterday. He'll never look euphoric to be there, for sure, but given what we've come to see and know, that's no reason for us to think he wants out.

Regarding the spurious soundcheck report from above, about Mike not wanting to do Our Prayer, it must be said he has been gracious if that actually happened. It's his call, in the end, and he seems to have agreed to do songs few people imagined before the tour. In any case, and if that report is true, this is yet one more episode of the guys setting aside their egos and preferences and being team players. And that's great.

+1
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »

I have been fortunate enough to see 3 shows on this tour (prepping for my fourth and final in Stateline/Tahoe July 15), and have also seen Brian 4 times solo and once with the Boys in 1989 at the LA Coliseum. Brian has appeared to be ANYTHING but miserable on this tour. What he has appeared to be, from the eye of someone who simply has watched him from afar for many years, is Brian. This is who he is and this is what you get.  Despite this, he has actually been more engaged and engaging the times I have seen him on this tour than I had expected, particularly when the "spotlight" was on him.  AS to the reports of fighting and members being "pissed off" about the setlists, adding "Our Prayer", etc.  maybe they are, maybe they are not.  I have been to sound checks on this tour, as have many others on this board.  That qualifies me to make a statement about absolutely nothing going on behind the scenes regarding "rehearsals", song selection, etc.  The facts is, unless one is a member of the band, or the backing band, everything put out is complete speculation. We have no idea.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »

I'd do it if I could.  But budget, work and family obligations make it impossible.  Angry

I'm in the same boat.  Sad

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »

Another thing:
I wonder if Mike really had anything against doing "Prayer" or if he just didn't wanna do it at that point. He himself has said tha he looks forward to be doing some acapella numbers and he also said that Smile material will be done prior to the tour.

EDIT:

Sloop/WIBN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnzN7xUhpXU&feature=related

Pet Sounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&hl=en&v=cn6gW7mWfJw&gl=US

It's so great to see David get more spotlight.
No matter if there was some trouble regarding the setlist, they are finally doing it right ! Thanks to everyone responsible
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:08:43 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »

Another thing:
I wonder if Mike really had anything against doing "Prayer" or if he just didn't wanna do it at that point. He himself has said tha he looks forward to be doing some acapella numbers and he also said that Smile material will be done prior to the tour.

EDIT:

Sloop/WIBN

Pet Sounds

No matter if there was some trouble regarding the setlist, they are finally doing it right ! Thanks to everyone responsible

Great!
Can anyone confirm if Scott and John were present during PS?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2012, 12:15:47 PM »

Another thing:

EDIT:

Sloop/WIBN

Pet Sounds

Great!
Can anyone confirm if Scott and John were present during PS?

Scott plays bass on Pet Sounds while MIke plays drums.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »

Scott Totten played bass on Pet Sounds??  I would've guessed Mike's guys sat out while Brian's guys took the wheel here.  Hmmmm....

I do hope they do add the "James Bond" guitar riff to start off the song...that's a great intro.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »

Scott Totten played bass on Pet Sounds??  I would've guessed Mike's guys sat out while Brian's guys took the wheel here. 

well, who would've played bass, then? Brian?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »

Sorry I keep forgetting Cowsill is Mike's guy.  I could see him picking up the drum parts with relative ease, which allows D'Amico to stay on bass...which is what I thought was going on in that video.  But I guess not. 
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »

Pet Sounds sounds great! Glad to see a vid of that with Dave. Echo other's sentiments - sure hope the new entries in the set list make it to the DVD

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »

Great videos!  Love hearing Dave play on Pet Sounds, what a blast he must be having.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »

Interesting if they combined Summer Means New Love and Pet Sounds, like do them after each other, that would make around 5 min for Dave. Ofc this will never happen but just an idea to toy with.
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »

1st Set

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
Marcella
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
Kiss Me, Baby
Getcha Back
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Disney Girls
Isn't It Time
California Saga
Cotton Fields
Be True to Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

2nd Set

Pet Sounds
Add Some Music to Your Day
Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Sail on, Sailor
All This Is That
That's Why God Made the Radio
In My Room
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' USA

Encore:
Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »

I still can't believe they did "Our Prayer"...that's so cool.
Forshorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »

"Our Prayer" was stunning. The harmonies sounded so dense. It was soon after the intermission. I think the crowd was blown away (and not just by the sea breezes in Long Island).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2012, 04:02:19 AM »

Thanks for the setlist !

Facebook:

Brian and Al before last night's show at the Jones Beach Theater in New York.

- Jack Rieley
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2012, 04:05:28 AM »

Now, I'm assuming Heroes and Villains followed Our Prayer?

Yep...but not seamlessly

No "Gee" in between?

Nope...there was no attempt to play them "together", they waited for the applause to die down and then counted in for Heroes...

That leads to my question: What was the audience response to "Our Prayer"? Is it like everyone in the audience is cheering "wow, I never thought I'd hear that", or is it more like "meh. I can't wait for them to play a few more covers"?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx