gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:59:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 36: Saratoga, NY (SPAC) June 23rd  (Read 33746 times)
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »

You wanted a setlist...

Some guys have all the luck.

Not me unfortunately, I just found it on Twitter...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:14:03 PM by dirwuf » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »

Is it me or has the setlist taken a turn towards the tamer in recent days? Just sayin'....great show....but was looking forward to "It's OK"...oh well....catch you next year, Soundgarden.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 10:18:37 PM »

When Mike was introducing All This Is That, I heard someone scream "TM Baby!", then I screamed "Jai guru dev". Yeah, I know, kind of random.

I thought the crowd was kind of lame IMHO... Seemed like I was the only one in my section that was standing and singing during every single song. A couple kids kept looking at me weird whenever I'd yell for Marcella, Long Promised Road, Tree, Ding Dang, Finders Keepers, Trader, Surf's Up...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 10:19:40 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcRH9WFwCFo&feature=youtu.be

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »

Should've sat with me, I was the youngest in my section and I kept yelling for obscure songs too haha

I yelled "SURFS UP??!!!" and Al looked at me and smiled Razz (2nd row!!!)

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »

Is it me or has the setlist taken a turn towards the tamer in recent days? Just sayin'....great show....but was looking forward to "It's OK"...oh well....catch you next year, Soundgarden.

With the debut of Pet Sounds and rehearsal of Our Prayer? I'd hardly say so.

Seems more to me that Brian might want to sing fewer songs.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »

Maybe al should sing Surfs Up...

slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

Well, this has me excited for tomorrow's show. Maybe I might get some Our Prayer action. I'm just hoping to get a video of Getcha Back, because I can't find any yet on youtube.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 10:52:53 PM »

Well, this has me excited for tomorrow's show. Maybe I might get some Our Prayer action.

Yeah, but with Stamos!  Evil
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 11:00:07 PM »

Should've sat with me, I was the youngest in my section and I kept yelling for obscure songs too haha

I yelled "SURFS UP??!!!" and Al looked at me and smiled Razz (2nd row!!!)

One problem...first row=waaayyyyy too expensive!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »

Maybe al should sing Surfs Up...

that would be flipping sweet.

when's the last time they played This Whole World...? been awhile  Undecided
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »

Well, this has me excited for tomorrow's show. Maybe I might get some Our Prayer action. I'm just hoping to get a video of Getcha Back, because I can't find any yet on youtube.

I've got a partial video of Getcha Back, it really sounded fantastic.

Surreal.  That's about all I can say now.  I'm going to write a full review tomorrow morning, but this was an unforgettable, insane experience.  Wait until I tell you guys my Brian story, it was one of the most hilarious/scary things that has ever happened to me.  In any event, you'll hear it all tomorrow, what a night.  Easily one of the best of my life.

As per the crowd, I though we were very responsive to nearly everything, heck, even All This Is That received a strong applause.  Just because people aren't standing or whatever doesn't mean they're not loving the song.

Oh, and the entire band ran through It's OK at soundcheck, odd that it didn't make the setlist.  For what it's worth, they ran through Our Prayer twice and it sounded exceptional.  As I said, Nelson Bragg mentioned it might have been added tonight.  I also asked him if he though Wonderful would be played, he mentioned it would be easy and he seemed to think it was a great idea.  We'll see what happens!

One more cool thing I want to mention before I go to bed! This is not the Brian story, but when the full band was going through Disney Girls at soundcheck, and Bruce is singing along nicely, all of a sudden, two thirds of the way through the song Brian yells "Enough!" and the whole band just stop playing, instantly.  It was really odd.  I guess he was just tired of doing that song, and everyone sure as heck listened when he directed them to stop!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:09:04 AM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 12:18:09 AM »

I WANT TO HEAR YOUR BRIAN STORY RIGHT NOW

No mas, por favor.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 12:19:25 AM »

I'm beginning to doubt it will live up to your expectations  Wink

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 04:36:22 AM »

As per the crowd, I though we were very responsive to nearly everything, heck, even All This Is That received a strong applause.  Just because people aren't standing or whatever doesn't mean they're not loving the song.

Maybe up front the vibe was different. Just seemed like my section really only got excited for the surf and car songs plus the encore. Maybe I'm just not used to sit-down rock shows. Regardless, I was loving it!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 05:04:43 AM »

Our Prayer, hm ?  FANTASTIC !!!!!!!

I hope they will keep upt these great setlists for Germany

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 05:55:01 AM »

I'll trade a great 1:00 recording of Getcha back and 2:50 Darlin for our prayer

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »

Disappointing review in the Schenectady Gazette this morning.  The author identifies Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Jeff, but omits Dave.  Also says "California Sun" (I assume he means "California Saga" is from the new album along with "Isn't It Time".

I thought the concert was great.  I was most concerned about how Mike would sound.  In most of the youtube videos I'd seen of previous shows his vocals seemed weak and he really didn't sound like the old Mike.  But I thought he sounded great last night.  He definitely is a showman.  Brian ssemed to be fairly engaged.  I wish they wouldn't do the dog and pony show with him holding the bass.  He doesn't even pretend to play it, so it ends up just being stupid.   Bruce muffed the first lines of "Disney Girls" but managed to salvage it.

I was happy to see Darian get the lead on "Darlin'", and for Dave to get some spotlight time on "Getcha Back" and "Pet Sounds". 

Overall, I had the feeling that I was witnessing something no one could have ever dreamed of a couple of years ago, and something that may never happen again. 

Nelson Bragg has to be the hardest working guy in music.  He sure seems to enjoy his work!

The tributes to Dennis and Carl were touching and well done. 

Seeing Brian and his band during the "SMiLE" tour was exceptional, but there was something really special about seeing the Boys together aain.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:21 AM »

Still waiting!!!!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »

two thirds of the way through the song Brian yells "Enough!" and the whole band just stop playing, instantly. 

LOL
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »

Okay, here we go.

As I said earlier, surreal.  That was the only real word to describe what I experienced last night. At one point, I closed my eyes, and the sound coming from that stage was just so deep, so beautiful, I realized I was witnessing something truly unforgettable.  Surreal.  

We arrived in Saratoga Springs at 4 PM, I was with my father and my friend, both who are hardcore Beach Boys fans.  I forced my father to leave at 1 PM so that we could get there four hours early, I was hoping to catch the tour buses enter the venue, and I was hoping to perhaps catch a Beach Boys or band member.  Seeing as we were not participating in the VIP experience, I figured arriving four hours early to the venue would also allow us to hear the soundcheck, which ended up being truly worth it.  Wink

Unfortunately, when we arrived, the tour buses and equipment trailers had already arrived, and it appeared as though the band was inside the venue as well.  We walked around for awhile, trying to figure the best place to catch a band member and hear the soundcheck.  We decided to wander around the back gate and around 5 PM, we heard sounds coming from the stage.  The backup band was warming up, fooling around playing some Four Seasons song (though I cannot place the name of the tune) and jamming.  I'm not sure who, I couldn't place the voice, but a band member said "We might be the only band in the world that can play whatever we want before we play what we're supposed to."  I thought that was pretty funny.  The rest of the soundcheck, without the Beach Boys, went like this:

-Rock and Roll Music
-Good Vibrations
-California Girls (just a snippet)
-All This is That (just a snippet)
-Pet Sounds (twice, with Dave)

Following these songs, the Beach Boys entered.  The soundcheck with them went like this:

-Please Let Me Wonder (Brian)
-Disney Girls (Bruce)
-All This is That
The band asks Brian what he wants to play, Brian requests It's OK
-It's OK
-Getcha Back (Dave)
-Isn't It Time
-Kokomo

As I posted earlier, about two thirds into Disney Girls Brian yells out, for no apparent reason, "Enough!" and that was the end of Disney Girls. Incredibly odd, and incredibly funny.

Of course, the highlight of the soundcheck was Our Prayer, which the band ran through twice. It sounded incredible.  I'll post a link to download the WAV I made of my recording today at some point.  I really thought they would perform it last night, because it sounded spot on.  No mistakes, they ran through both performances all the way through.  

Following the soundcheck, my friend and I waited in line to enter the venue.  As we waited Nelson Bragg walked along an entire line of Beach Boys fans to the main gate, I'm not sure where he was coming from, he had a few of his CD's in his hand.  I immediately recognized him and walked up an introduced myself to him.  He was incredibly pleasant to talk to, what a great guy.  We talked for around five minutes, and he was in no hurry to end the conversation.  We talked about running through Our Prayer at soundcheck, he said "I think we might do that tonight,"  I asked him about the group dynamic, he said everything was going very well, then I mentioned Al asking Mike to add Our Prayer to the setlist.  He said that the rehearsal for Our Prayer "was not a good day," which was very interesting.  I mentioned performing more Smile songs seeing as it just recently came out, and I suggested Wonderful.  He said "You know, that would be easy to do."  He seemed to really like the idea.  I mentioned Mike enjoying that song.  So, if Wonderful is at any time added, you can thank me!  Wink

Oh, and I got a picture with him as well.

Well, that was everything prior to the concert.  This post is long enough, and I have an engagement to attend, so I will post regarding the actual concert later today.  Hope you enjoyed my worthless anecdotes!

Oh, I forgot to mention.  Nelson really liked my shirt, and when I told him Al actually wore it at one point, he seemed very surprised  LOL
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:33:59 AM by Zach95 » Logged

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »

Still waiting!!!!

I'll post it later today! It's not that great! I would do it now but I really have to get going somewhere, but it's truthfully not as exciting as you might expect!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention.  Nelson really liked my shirt, and when I told him Al actually wore it at one point, he seemed very surprised  LOL
YES! I'll try to catch him wearing it as well, then.  Grin
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »

We got there at 5 and hear most of the soundcheck, albeit from a great distance. I noticed Disney Girls ending early, but couldn't tell that Brian had halted it. I'm glad I kinda sorta got to hear "Its Ok" live, even though it wasn't part of the actual show. I thought about going over to the buses after the show with my program and sharpie but we were pretty beat.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 10:48:56 AM »

*waits for Our Prayer Live (first time ever for the beach boys)

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx