gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:24:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why are the interviews so uninteresting?  (Read 6949 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »

They don't talk about Wild Honey, Smiley Smile or even SMiLE which even just came out.

actually Mike of all people mentioned the Wild Honey album and songs like Wind Chimes and She's Goin Bald in the Google interview i believe. He also talked about the Friends album in a recent interview. Al has lots of praise for SMiLE in recent Q&A's, especially the song Surf's Up.

I'd love to hear them comment on Love You, but how many interviewers know it even exists? And it doesn't seem like anyone in the band is particularly fond of it, besides Brian.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:25:38 PM by bossaroo » Logged
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 12:27:54 AM »

Bruce is totally correct about Obama. It's one of the few things he's got right.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 12:40:31 AM »

right or wrong, NOBODY GIVES A SH!T.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:11 AM »

the interviewers seem so scared of brian...they simplify everything for him like he's some sort of dummy it's a shame Sad
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 02:32:36 AM »

I'd love to hear them comment on Love You, but how many interviewers know it even exists? And it doesn't seem like anyone in the band is particularly fond of it, besides Brian.

From an older interview with Al Jardine:

From a purely personal standpoint, can you cite a Beach Boys album that deserves reappraisal?

Oh that Love You album has some gems on it. That's the one. It's a shame that the album cover is so crummy - everything about that thing is homemade. I think they thought it was our last album. I think it was issued as our last album for Warner Brothers. And when we went over to sign with CBS, they checked their agreements and we owed them another one. [laughs] They didn't spend a penny on the Love You album because they knew that we weren't coming back. They used real cheap cardboard for it. But the music, you wouldn't believe it. Ed Carter played on that. He's in our band now too. "The Night Was So Young" is a favorite.

http://www.oocities.org/thelittlepad/al4.html

So obviously he's quite a fan of both "Surf's Up" and the Love You album. Pretty good taste I think!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »

The interviewers talking to Brian like he's 8, coupled with most of the band self consciously breaking into phony gut-bustiing hysterical laughter regardless of what Brian says is one of the rare downsides of the reunion.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »

I think part of the problem is that it's been a long time since the entire BB group has done a big press tour and whatnot. I've followed, for instance, McCartney over the years, and even setting aside the same freaking Beatles questions he still gets asked ("Yesterday" was "Scrambled Eggs", John helping him with "Hey Jude", what it was like to land in America in 1964, etc.), it's the same round of questions and answers when it comes to whatever "new" project is going on. Often, the artist feeds the endless cycle by giving the same answers word-for-word every time. It's a cycle. Sometimes the artist is sick of the questions, but they can't control the questions, so they give the same answers. Hence, David Marks telling us a million times that "it's just like a family reunion", etc. A non-hardcore fan also doesn't follow the band to every interview, so the answers sound fresh to the masses.

But the interviewers (not our great fan-friendly, knowledgeable folks like Mr. Edelson) are a big part of the problem, and even when not prompted to ask anything or not ask anything, they all ask the same thing anyway. "What's it like to get back together?" Unless you can phrase that in a way that gets a different answer, what do you think the guys are going to say. "We hate it, but we signed on to finish the tour?"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »

An honest interview...

What's it like reuniting with the band?

Dave: To be honest, the guys are all kind of weird and finicky. It's a huge paycheck for me, though, and I love playing in front of bigger audiences.

But what was it like in the studio?

Dave: I didn't sing on anything. I just faked it for band promos. They wanted the sessions to look organic for the public.

Did you have any regrets about leaving the BBs?

Dave: It took me a long time to get over being called a "buckwheat." I consider myself to be more like a fine, aromatic spice... maybe coriander.

So you really learned how to play guitar with Carl?

Dave: Oh yeah, we took lessons together. His dad was a real prick, so Carl was always eager to come by my place and practice.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »

This thread needs a good Ron post.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

Do you REALLY, I MEAN REALLY want rehashed, re-warmed stories of something that happened 30 years ago?

Of course not. I want rehashed, re-warmed stories of something that happened 50 years ago.

(Moe from the Three Stooges) Oh, a wise guy, ay?

LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »

They've had a lot of time to brush up on their stock answers
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »

The interviewers talking to Brian like he's 8, coupled with most of the band self consciously breaking into phony gut-bustiing hysterical laughter regardless of what Brian says is one of the rare downsides of the reunion.
they do that because they think it's gonna pump up brian to open up more but it fails every time..and they praise everything brian says like he's "little anthony" from the twilght zone that can demolish you with his mind..
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »

I was excitedly showing a friend some of the recent appearances and he sniffed: "Geez, they talk about Brian like he's dead... and he's sitting right there."

Ouch.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »

Bruce is blah blah blah blah blah

And, Bruce has got great legs, so he's got that going for him!   Smokin

Remember, Bruce admits he is still 16 at heart, so that's why we laugh at everything he says.

BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCE!

LOL
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:38:41 AM by heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »

I'd like to ask Mike Love if he met Charles Manson and what that was like.  I'd also like to ask him what it was like to be rich, famous, then blow all your money and file bankruptcy and not so popular.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »

From an older interview with Al Jardine:

From a purely personal standpoint, can you cite a Beach Boys album that deserves reappraisal?

Oh that Love You album has some gems on it. That's the one. It's a shame that the album cover is so crummy - everything about that thing is homemade. I think they thought it was our last album. I think it was issued as our last album for Warner Brothers. And when we went over to sign with CBS, they checked their agreements and we owed them another one. [laughs] They didn't spend a penny on the Love You album because they knew that we weren't coming back. They used real cheap cardboard for it. But the music, you wouldn't believe it. Ed Carter played on that. He's in our band now too. "The Night Was So Young" is a favorite.

http://www.oocities.org/thelittlepad/al4.html

So obviously he's quite a fan of both "Surf's Up" and the Love You album. Pretty good taste I think!

nice!

i should have known Al was a fan. he sings lead on two songs, wrote "Honkin" and has 2 co-writes as well.

why so much hate for the album cover? i love it
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »

He did not write Honkin. That's a solo BW comp.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »

i knew that. no co-writes either.

just 2 leads and lead parts on Roller Skatin Child and Love is a Woman.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »

Does a great version of Honkin on his solo CD!
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »

Do you REALLY, I MEAN REALLY want rehashed, re-warmed stories of something that happened 30 years ago?

Of course not. I want rehashed, re-warmed stories of something that happened 50 years ago.

(Moe from the Three Stooges) Oh, a wise guy, ay?

LOL

*NYUK NYUK NYUK* (translation = I meant what I sed)

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx