gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:25:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waves Of Love - Let the flames begin  (Read 16269 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »

There was a thread (or a few of them) a while back that I'd reference if I cared to search, but it seemed like the opinions of Waves of Love boiled down-- at least to an extent-- to which track we're talking about.  I believe there were at least three cuts of this track, all varying in sound and production quality.  The only copy I've heard is the version I bought on iTunes.  That actually sounds really good.  Had I not read the backstory, I would never have known it was a rough demo cut backstage somewhere.

Does somebody care to provide a run down of the different versions of this track?  How do they differ?

In reviewing the Japanese CD, which had yet another version of the track, I ran down the various versions in my review: http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/2012/11/review-al-jardine-postcard-from.html

Three versions of a mediocre song...?!

I guess it's all relative. It's not an amazing song, but it's well above average placed in the context of most of the what the Beach Boys have done post-70's.

It’s better than the weaker stuff on “TWGMTR”, but I was never upset it didn’t get re-cut/overdubbed by the Beach Boys, because it was no longer a “new” song having already been released by Al. Same reason “Daybreak Over the Ocean” was a yawn, on top of it being a rather boring song to begin with. There was a difference in that “Daybreak..” hadn’t been “officially” released at all when it appeared on the BB’s album.

I don’t think anybody particularly asked for three versions of “Waves of Love” of course. Although, the two main versions are about as different as can be from each other (really only sharing presumably Carl’s vocals, which were drastically altered in protools presumably to stretch it out and alter the pitch to fit the more “produced” version of the song which is literally in a different key), while the third Japan-exclusive version is really just an alternate mix of the “produced” version.

I’m guessing the label in Japan asked for an additional “bonus” track, and they simply grabbed a “work-in-progress” mix of the song to throw on as an “alternate mix.”

There are far worse songs than "Waves of Love".  I honestly don't think it would fit very well off of TWGMTR.  They made the right call not to include it.  It might have worked a little better on the box set though.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 02:09:12 PM »

Given the strong initial sales, I am very surprised we didn't see a deluxe/expanded version of the album for Christmas 2012, including other tracks from the sessions, more of the suite, and a live track or two. Seems like a real opportunity missed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »

I gotta comment here. I think everybody is mixing up the "studio" and "soundcheck" versions.

I'm pretty sure that the studio version is actually the one that is one the American version of the CD. It has Carl's part couched in harmonies, and the "dit-dits" are obviously nicely dubbed. Also, Al's lead is is much more at ease, rather than his lead on the other version where he sounds a bit like he's straining and yelling at certain points.

Compare this to the soundcheck version that is available as an download on iTunes and Amazon. The download version sounds like a bunch of guys on a stage trying out a song. Sounds basically like a live version, which is I guess what it is. And that's probably why it has the "Help Me, Rhonda" riff, because the song really wasn't "finished" yet, and it was just a placeholder, until they had a real beginning, which ended up being the sax thing.

Anybody agree?
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »

Is there a story about Brian working hard to keep Waves Of Love off TWGMTR?

Rolling Stone, June 21, 2012

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-last-wave-20120621?page=4

Wilson does not react the same way to Jardine's song. For the second day in a row, Jardine bugs Brian to work on "Waves of Love," a lovely track that features one of Carl Wilson's last vocals.

Wilson doesn't want to hurt Jardine's feelings, so he tries to ignore him. But Jardine keeps pushing. "We don't know where this is going, Bri," Jardine persists, "but it's important to put it in the bank."

"No, can't do it today, Al," Wilson says.

"Let's do it while you're here," Jardine pleads. "We've got to deliver some stuff, to the top."

Wilson closes his eyes and folds his hands across his chest. Then, a moment later, he bounces his hulking frame out of the chair, exits the control booth and walks out the front door to his car. He does not return to the studio until the next day. "Waves of Love" is not included on the final album.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

Thank you so much Brian.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »

I gotta comment here. I think everybody is mixing up the "studio" and "soundcheck" versions.

I'm pretty sure that the studio version is actually the one that is one the American version of the CD. It has Carl's part couched in harmonies, and the "dit-dits" are obviously nicely dubbed. Also, Al's lead is is much more at ease, rather than his lead on the other version where he sounds a bit like he's straining and yelling at certain points.

Compare this to the soundcheck version that is available as an download on iTunes and Amazon. The download version sounds like a bunch of guys on a stage trying out a song. Sounds basically like a live version, which is I guess what it is. And that's probably why it has the "Help Me, Rhonda" riff, because the song really wasn't "finished" yet, and it was just a placeholder, until they had a real beginning, which ended up being the sax thing.

Anybody agree?

Well, both versions have likely had studio work. But no, the CD version has the exact ambiance of a soundcheck performance, and Al's voice sounds younger, like circa mid 90's, while the download version had an older sounding Al and sounds like a dry, more modern studio recording. You can also hear stacked Al's on the CD version, while Matt Jardine posted on facebook in the last few years about overdubbing backing vocals, and he is clearly heard on the download version.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »

The version on iTunes currently is the same as the one on the CD. They were only different for a limited time. Once the disparity was discovered, the alternate online version was replaced. This is one of the reasons people are confused, because at least right now, the "CD version" is the only thing you can download.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »

A friend of the Professor recently fell in love, a love beyond all loves ever felt. He is this very day listening to Waves of Love and is enraptured with every new listen. Too bad for him that his love is unrequited. The professor told him not to fall, but as Chaucer says, "who gave a lover any law?" Waves of love is fun and exuberant, and yes they ought to have listened to Al and dumped Bill and Sue in favor of a new, BB  arrangement with Dave on lead and the 5 BB singing beautiful parts.  Brian's reluctance was likely produced for him by a handler, wife, JT or other petulant force that has no taste.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »

Brian's reluctance was likely produced for him by a handler, wife, JT or other petulant force that has no taste.

I feel like it is vitally important to give Brian credit for his choices, both good and bad. Otherwise we get lost in a labyrinth of unprovable what-ifs and veiled accusations. Joe Thomas ain't the devil and never was. Neither is Melinda. Brian has chosen to work with one and marry the other.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »

maybe Brian simply didn't like it...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »

I think it's a fairly decent song. Carl's vocal could have been a little higher in the mix. Other than that the only real complaint I have is that Al's voice can't quite reach the key that the song is in. It's consistantly right at the breaking point. It would have been a welcome edition to TWGMTR in my opinion, in a slightly lower key.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »

Agreed on the inclusion of an Al or Bruce song. But if the best they had to offer was Waves of Love or a remake of She Believes in Love Again, it's not hard to see why things worked out the way they did.

With Bill&Sue on the album, it is not just hard but absolutely impossible to see why things worked out the way they did.

Thanks for posting the story. Either Brian is an ignorant or Al played the wrong version for him!

Waves of love is fun and exuberant, and yes they ought to have listened to Al and dumped Bill and Sue

Yes!!!

Brian's reluctance was likely produced for him by a handler, wife, JT or other petulant force that has no taste.

Hmm... nonsense.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »

Other than the last three songs, Bill and Sue might be my favorite track on TWGMTR.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »

Other than the last three songs, Bill and Sue might be my favorite track on TWGMTR.  Cool

I've loved it since hearing the title. Think it's great on the album, too. Chorus gets a bit generic, but it's otherwise one of the most Brian songs on the record. And it's important that a song like that be on there.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 01:50:53 AM »

"Bye Bye Love" starts 46 seconds in..

That's on the version I'm not referring to. In the version with the gorgeous chorus that section is left out, it goes right into the chorus at 0:46. The section is used as a bridge later in the song and doesn't sound that much like Bye Bye Love, but is still the weakest spot in the song, that's why I wrote in my first post that the bridge should be reworked melodically. So to an extent I agree with you. I still think the version I mean is gorgeous.

And you will find other songs you know in about every song there is. TPLOBAS sounds like a bunch of badly assembled Harry Belafonte melodies, for instance.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 02:49:30 AM »

Frankly, it's better than Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone, too. Waves Of Love, on the other hand, is worse than anything on the album except Spring Vacation...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 04:11:01 AM »

Frankly, it's better than Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone, too. Waves Of Love, on the other hand, is worse than anything on the album except Spring Vacation...

Frankly, we sure won't get a consensus here. Bill&Sue is the very worst they ever did, BASTA!

"The wors-est thing we'll ever dooooo...
The private life of Bill and Suuuuue" Grin

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 04:16:01 AM »

Frankly, we sure won't get a consensus here. Bill&Sue is the very worst they ever did, BASTA!

Worse than Summer Of Love?!

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:25 AM »

Well, it's a Loooove thing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:57:58 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 05:21:06 AM »

I'm not a fan of the song but maybe it just wasn't the way Bri wanted Carl to go out on group releases.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 05:28:30 AM »

Agreed Cam, maybe Brian though Al was "using" Carl's vocal part to get the song on the album.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »

I'm not a fan of the song but maybe it just wasn't the way Bri wanted Carl to go out on group releases.

If there's a better way for Carl to go out on a group release, I'd like to hear it.  Not saying the WoL is stellar, but I'd be giddy at the possibility that there's a usable, unreleased vocal gem from Carl just waiting to be finished into a BB song!  However, given the ticking clock and the way things are with the guys now, I fear Carl will never go out again on a group release.  If TWGMTR is the last proper BB album (and I believe it will be), it's too bad Brian couldn't work Carl in somewhere. 

For the record, TPLOBAS is one of my favorite tracks on the album (even though I hate the "grocery store" lyric).  My beef with TWGMTR tracks is production and mixing.  The songs themselves are great.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 07:44:39 AM »

Yes, but I have to admit the first four tracks of SIP come very close. Those five are the only BB recordings I can't stand listening to.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 09:31:42 AM »

Some tweaking of lyrics and re-arranging and its there.

That's how I feel, too. First, I can't get past the lyrics; they're terrible, amateurish. But, the song has potential. It needs "something", maybe, as you put it, re-arranging. I know this comment is for the other thread, but, one year later, I still think the TWGMTR album would've been more enjoyable with an Al and/or Bruce song.

Agreed on the inclusion of an Al or Bruce song. But if the best they had to offer was Waves of Love or a remake of She Believes in Love Again, it's not hard to see why things worked out the way they did.

If nothing else, I wish they would have given Al more leads on the album. Also, I always thought that if they couldn’t bring themselves to simply expand the actual album, they could have released the sort of "re-tread" stuff like a full BB's version of "Waves of Love" (which I realize was presumably never actually recorded) and the remake of "She Believes in Love Again" as bonus tracks, maybe retailer-exclusive bonus tracks or on some sort or “Deluxe” version of the album with a second disc or something.

Had they done that, we'd still be bitching about the boys' abusive marketing strategy. I'm just happy fans are not permanently consulted

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »

Some tweaking of lyrics and re-arranging and its there.

That's how I feel, too. First, I can't get past the lyrics; they're terrible, amateurish. But, the song has potential. It needs "something", maybe, as you put it, re-arranging. I know this comment is for the other thread, but, one year later, I still think the TWGMTR album would've been more enjoyable with an Al and/or Bruce song.

If nothing else, I wish they would have given Al more leads on the album. Also, I always thought that if they couldn’t bring themselves to simply expand the actual album, they could have released the sort of "re-tread" stuff like a full BB's version of "Waves of Love" (which I realize was presumably never actually recorded) and the remake of "She Believes in Love Again" as bonus tracks, maybe retailer-exclusive bonus tracks or on some sort or “Deluxe” version of the album with a second disc or something.

Had they done that, we'd still be bitching about the boys' abusive marketing strategy. I'm just happy fans are not permanently consulted

Yeah. Quit your bitchin', bitchers. I HATE GETTING MORE SONGS *MANGLES GENITALS WITH A BROKEN BEER BOTTLE*

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx