gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 12:47:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waves Of Love - Let the flames begin  (Read 16234 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »

I am sorry, but after listening to Al's disc (which I finally got my actual CD versus the crappy mp3 files on Amazon), I like the tune Waves Of Love. It's a backstage demo, but it sounds great. Dunno how it was recorded, but, if it was multi-tracked, I can totally see that the group could have loaded this up in Pro-Tools and worked on it some more. Its like 80 % there. Some tweaking of lyrics and re-arranging and its there. It's a catchy-ass tune.

Bob
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »

Why are you sorry ? i don't think anyone dislikes the song, and i don't see why anyone would..
it's a great song, far superior to anything they did back then (..well if i'm not mistaken, that song's from the 80's right? i could be wrong actually, i have no idea, i'm just guessing here).

Definitely a shame it wasn't kept for TWGMTR (would have been far better than SV or BIM) but prehaps for the next record, would be a lovely single imo.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:27:19 PM »

I am sorry, but after listening to Al's disc (which I finally got my actual CD versus the crappy mp3 files on Amazon), I like the tune Waves Of Love. It's a backstage demo, but it sounds great. Dunno how it was recorded, but, if it was multi-tracked, I can totally see that the group could have loaded this up in Pro-Tools and worked on it some more. Its like 80 % there. Some tweaking of lyrics and re-arranging and its there. It's a catchy-ass tune.

Bob

"Waves of Love" is great! I especially like the physical CD version. The download version, not so much. I think with some added production from Brian and Joe and some vocals from Brian, Mike, and Bruce, and it woulda been a great track on the new album.

But apparently Brian no likey. So that is that, most likely.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:03:56 AM »

I think it's a good track.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:45:55 AM »

It's a great track, I love it. But I don't understand why people keep insisting that it should've been on TWGMTR maybe with new vocals. I'm glad we got mostly new stuff instead of re-treads but I wouldn't've minded the 2012 "Do It Again" or "She Believes in Love Again". Honestly have no idea why people keep thinking replacing new songs with ones from Al's solo album or elsewhere is a good idea, especially since we have new Beach Boys songs for 2012. Meh, to each their own.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:33:04 AM »

No problem with the song.
But hey, we'd be bitching if the TWGMTR included previously-released songs.
Besides, Waves prompts a dilemma: Carl's vocal is un-usable. Erasing it would be blasphemy, but including it would make Carl no justice.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »

Besides, Waves prompts a dilemma: Carl's vocal is un-usable. Erasing it would be blasphemy, but including it would make Carl no justice.

Carl sounds fine - not everything has to be "I Can Hear Music".

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »

Carl sounds fine - not everything has to be "I Can Hear Music".

Tired and out of synch. Demo quality.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:24:14 AM »

Just listened to Waves Of Love really consciously. It's gorgeous! I can't see why Brian decided not to use it for TWGMTR and instead put their worst song ever (TPLOBAS) on there. Just replace that cheesy saxophone with some David lead guitar, add some group vocals, maybe melodically rework the bridge a bit, and it would have been a highlight of the album.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Nicko1234
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »

Just listened to Waves Of Love really consciously. It's gorgeous! I can't see why Brian decided not to use it for TWGMTR and instead put their worst song ever (TPLOBAS) on there. Just replace that cheesy saxophone with some David lead guitar, add some group vocals, maybe melodically rework the bridge a bit, and it would have been a highlight of the album.

I think there are two basic problems with it. Carl's vocals and the fact that some of the riffs seem to have been lifted from other songs (eg. Help Me Rhonda).
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 08:49:43 AM »

I like it. I much prefer the version without the rasping sax at the start. More Carl.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:03:58 AM »

It's really pretty bad. My admiration for modern day BDW went up a level when I learned how hard he worked to keep it off the record. Cheesy
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »

There was a thread (or a few of them) a while back that I'd reference if I cared to search, but it seemed like the opinions of Waves of Love boiled down-- at least to an extent-- to which track we're talking about.  I believe there were at least three cuts of this track, all varying in sound and production quality.  The only copy I've heard is the version I bought on iTunes.  That actually sounds really good.  Had I not read the backstory, I would never have known it was a rough demo cut backstage somewhere.

Does somebody care to provide a run down of the different versions of this track?  How do they differ?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »

to me it sounds too much like "Bye bye love".
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »

version 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUy9TqulQoU  ( not so good, new mix, only download)

i like the demo version more thats released as a bonustrack on the AJ cd. more rock & roll feeling to it.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 10:22:20 AM »

version 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUy9TqulQoU  ( not so good, new mix, only download)

i like the demo version more thats released as a bonustrack on the AJ cd. more rock & roll feeling to it.

That's not the version I'm referring to - the one I like hasn't got a Rhonda intro and no sleighbells, instead it has saxophone (unfortunately a bit cheesy), undistorted but pleasant guitar and better drumming. Plus the chorus isn't a single Carl vocal but has gorgeous harmony singing on it.

I can't hear "Bye Bye Love" in there - where's that?

It's really pretty bad. My admiration for modern day BDW went up a level when I learned how hard he worked to keep it off the record. Cheesy

My admiration for modern day BDW went down after hearing TPLOBAS!

Is there a story about Brian working hard to keep Waves Of Love off TWGMTR?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »

i totaly agree with you !
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »

Some tweaking of lyrics and re-arranging and its there.

That's how I feel, too. First, I can't get past the lyrics; they're terrible, amateurish. But, the song has potential. It needs "something", maybe, as you put it, re-arranging. I know this comment is for the other thread, but, one year later, I still think the TWGMTR album would've been more enjoyable with an Al and/or Bruce song.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »

That's not the version I'm referring to - the one I like hasn't got a Rhonda intro and no sleighbells, instead it has saxophone (unfortunately a bit cheesy), undistorted but pleasant guitar and better drumming. Plus the chorus isn't a single Carl vocal but has gorgeous harmony singing on it.

I can't hear "Bye Bye Love" in there - where's that?

My admiration for modern day BDW went down after hearing TPLOBAS!

Is there a story about Brian working hard to keep Waves Of Love off TWGMTR?
"Bye Bye Love" starts 46 seconds in..
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

There was a thread (or a few of them) a while back that I'd reference if I cared to search, but it seemed like the opinions of Waves of Love boiled down-- at least to an extent-- to which track we're talking about.  I believe there were at least three cuts of this track, all varying in sound and production quality.  The only copy I've heard is the version I bought on iTunes.  That actually sounds really good.  Had I not read the backstory, I would never have known it was a rough demo cut backstage somewhere.

Does somebody care to provide a run down of the different versions of this track?  How do they differ?

In reviewing the Japanese CD, which had yet another version of the track, I ran down the various versions in my review: http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/2012/11/review-al-jardine-postcard-from.html

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »

That's how I feel, too. First, I can't get past the lyrics; they're terrible, amateurish.

Then it fits right in the BB catalog.  I can probably count on one hand the number of BB songs whose lyrics aren't terrible or amateurish.  I'm not in this for the lyrics.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 12:49:12 PM »

In reviewing the Japanese CD, which had yet another version of the track, I ran down the various versions in my review: http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/2012/11/review-al-jardine-postcard-from.html

Three versions of a mediocre song...?!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »

That's how I feel, too. First, I can't get past the lyrics; they're terrible, amateurish. But, the song has potential. It needs "something", maybe, as you put it, re-arranging. I know this comment is for the other thread, but, one year later, I still think the TWGMTR album would've been more enjoyable with an Al and/or Bruce song.

Agreed on the inclusion of an Al or Bruce song. But if the best they had to offer was Waves of Love or a remake of She Believes in Love Again, it's not hard to see why things worked out the way they did.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »

Three versions of a mediocre song...?!

I guess it's all relative. It's not an amazing song, but it's well above average placed in the context of most of the what the Beach Boys have done post-70's.

It’s better than the weaker stuff on “TWGMTR”, but I was never upset it didn’t get re-cut/overdubbed by the Beach Boys, because it was no longer a “new” song having already been released by Al. Same reason “Daybreak Over the Ocean” was a yawn, on top of it being a rather boring song to begin with. There was a difference in that “Daybreak..” hadn’t been “officially” released at all when it appeared on the BB’s album.

I don’t think anybody particularly asked for three versions of “Waves of Love” of course. Although, the two main versions are about as different as can be from each other (really only sharing presumably Carl’s vocals, which were drastically altered in protools presumably to stretch it out and alter the pitch to fit the more “produced” version of the song which is literally in a different key), while the third Japan-exclusive version is really just an alternate mix of the “produced” version.

I’m guessing the label in Japan asked for an additional “bonus” track, and they simply grabbed a “work-in-progress” mix of the song to throw on as an “alternate mix.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »

Agreed on the inclusion of an Al or Bruce song. But if the best they had to offer was Waves of Love or a remake of She Believes in Love Again, it's not hard to see why things worked out the way they did.

If nothing else, I wish they would have given Al more leads on the album. Also, I always thought that if they couldn’t bring themselves to simply expand the actual album, they could have released the sort of "re-tread" stuff like a full BB's version of "Waves of Love" (which I realize was presumably never actually recorded) and the remake of "She Believes in Love Again" as bonus tracks, maybe retailer-exclusive bonus tracks or on some sort or “Deluxe” version of the album with a second disc or something.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:05:47 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx