gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:43:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 33: Molson Amphitheatre - Toronto, ON 6/19/12  (Read 15860 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »

Info
ptijerm
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:10:21 AM »

Nice review of the Toronto show on Canoe.ca:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/B/Beach_Boys/ConcertReviews/2012/06/20/19898416.html
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:31:53 AM »

It's odd to me that they've moved "Little Honda" to the second song slot. It seems kind of obvious that it fits better with the car songs at the end of the set than with the surf songs at the first. Not a hug deal, for sure, just seems a little odd.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »

Getcha Back

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:18:10 AM »

I was at the show and it was great. The second half is incredible - just relentless song after song greatness, and also Rock and Roll Music. Brian seemed to be in pretty good form. The highlight of the first half though was definitely Disney Girls. The one thing that bothered me was when they started to play Forever, a girl behind me yelled out "No fuckin' way!" I thought she was excited that they were going to be singing along to Dennis Wilson in what amounts to a very moving, respectful tribute. Instead, she followed it up with, "I thought John Stamos was going to be here." Then, just as the song was finishing and they flashed, "We love you, Dennis" or "We miss you, Dennis" on the screen, she yelled "John Stamos!" one more time for good measure. Aside from that brief irritation though, the show was fantastic.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

"Little Honda" being moved to follow "Do It Again" in the opening does make sense. It's high energy and isn't dated at all. Indeed, it is an obvious inspiration for the Ramones's "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker," and Yo La Tengo covered it not that long ago. So it's got a beat and the kids can dance to it.

The canoe.ca review is interesting in part because its writer was sitting next to Andy Kim of "Rock Me Gently" fame and mentions that Kim got namechecked twice from the stage. Kim also co-wrote "Sugar Sugar" and had sizable hits with remakes of "Baby I Love You" in late '68 and "Be My Baby" in 1970, both produced by Jeff Barry. Spector detests those two records, and "Be My Baby" is not particularly a single that would dislodge the original a millimeter in Brian's consciousness, but I've always been very fond of "Baby I Love You," an extremely ingenious deconstruction of the Wall of Sound.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »

"Little Honda" being moved to follow "Do It Again" in the opening does make sense. It's high energy and isn't dated at all. Indeed, it is an obvious inspiration for the Ramones's "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker," and Yo La Tengo covered it not that long ago. So it's got a beat and the kids can dance to it.

The canoe.ca review is interesting in part because its writer was sitting next to Andy Kim of "Rock Me Gently" fame and mentions that Kim got namechecked twice from the stage. Kim also co-wrote "Sugar Sugar" and had sizable hits with remakes of "Baby I Love You" in late '68 and "Be My Baby" in 1970, both produced by Jeff Barry. Spector detests those two records, and "Be My Baby" is not particularly a single that would dislodge the original a millimeter in Brian's consciousness, but I've always been very fond of "Baby I Love You," an extremely ingenious deconstruction of the Wall of Sound.

Maybe it's because I live here but on the oldies station who follow the Canadian content regulations, Andy Kim is played too frequently for my tastes. I can't get on board with Andy but I see his appeal.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »

Well...apart from "Baby I Love You" and a couple of other tracks, Andy Kim's output doesn't thrill me all that much.  A Canadian-content oldies format - that sounds like 30% Guess Who, 30% of the time.

Interesting thing about the GW - I remember reading that the largest crowd ever assembled in one place in Canada was not for a Stanley Cup game, but for the GW reunion show in Toronto in 2003 - 450,000, about 1.5% of the country's population.  And the most visited gravesite in the Great White North does not belong to a political leader or some such, but to pianist Glenn Gould.  (Contrary to widespread popular belief, the Unknown Soldiers and JFK still beat out the King for most-visited status in the USA.) So since it's plain Canadians love their music and love musicians with more than a dash of the eccentric, it's apropos Brian celebrate his 70th there.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:25:32 AM »

I was at the show and it was great. The second half is incredible - just relentless song after song greatness, and also Rock and Roll Music. Brian seemed to be in pretty good form. The highlight of the first half though was definitely Disney Girls. The one thing that bothered me was when they started to play Forever, a girl behind me yelled out "No f***in' way!" I thought she was excited that they were going to be singing along to Dennis Wilson in what amounts to a very moving, respectful tribute. Instead, she followed it up with, "I thought John Stamos was going to be here." Then, just as the song was finishing and they flashed, "We love you, Dennis" or "We miss you, Dennis" on the screen, she yelled "John Stamos!" one more time for good measure. Aside from that brief irritation though, the show was fantastic.

It is hard for a lot people to reconcile that.  My kids, late 20's early 30's had my playing the music "reinforced" in a context all their own.  And for many of them, it is John Stamos who introduced them the world of the Beach Boys music, and escaped that musical generation gap that often becomes almost "war like" as parents music vs. the kids' music.  Rock vs. rap and hip hop.

Some young attendees snuck down, much to my great delight,  to fill in a row of vacant seats in Bethel the other night.  It was so cool to see them out in a group and choosing the music of another generation.  It might never have happened otherwise.  I like that John Stamos has been the bridge to that "whole new generation."  And that they chose to spend their money so tastefully.

They were asking for Stamos, as are my own kids and their friends.  And it might be the factor that is the deciding one to see them.   Wink
NewGirl
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »

I was at the show last night and it was absolutely amazing!!!  It was my first Beach Boys concert and after the anticipation and excitement built for so long (it seemed), it was everything I was hoping it would be and way more. The show looked to me to be sold out and on many occasions they had the whole crowd up on their feet dancing, clapping, singing and having the time of their lives. They all sounded great, some of the highlights for me were Marcella in the first set, it was great hearing Isn't it Time (one of my favorites from the new album), Brian did a great job with Sail on Sailor, Mike and Al also blew me away with how fantastic they sounded and their energy. Mike made several jokes which seemed very well received. You could really get a sense of how much the audience was loving them especially when they sang some of the more popular songs. As we left all I heard were comments from people about how much fun they had and how great the concert was.
This was an experience I'll never forget and one that will stay with me forever.... I've always been a fan of The Beach Boys but about a year ago was re-introduced to some of their music and exposed to a lot more that I was never aware of, by a good friend and now have a much deeper and much more intense appreciation for all of it. I thank him for that. I am so happy I was able to see them in concert and enjoyed it so much I'm debating seeing them once more during this tour! Grin     Here is the set list from last night:

Do It Again

Little Honda

Catch a Wave

Hawaii

Don’t Back Down

Surfin’ Safari

Surfer Girl

Wendy

Marcella

Then I Kissed Her

Kiss Me, Baby

Getcha Back

Why Do Fools Fall in Love

When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)

Darlin’

Disney Girls

Please Let Me Wonder

Isn’t It Time

It’s OK

California Saga: California

Cotton Fields

Be True to Your School

Don’t Worry Baby

Little Deuce Coupe

Shut Down

I Get Around

INTERMISSION

Add Some Music to Your Day

Heroes and Villains

Sloop John B

Wouldn’t It Be Nice

I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times

Sail on, Sailor

All This Is That

That’s Why God Made the Radio

In My Room

Forever

God Only Knows

Good Vibrations

California Girls

All Summer Long

Help Me, Rhonda

Rock and Roll Music

Do You Wanna Dance?

Surfin’ USA

ENCORE:

Kokomo

Barbara Ann

Fun, Fun, Fun

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:01:26 AM by NewGirl » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:46:30 AM »

Well...apart from "Baby I Love You" and a couple of other tracks, Andy Kim's output doesn't thrill me all that much.  A Canadian-content oldies format - that sounds like 30% Guess Who, 30% of the time.

You're not far off. A lot of Guess Who, The Weight/The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Big Yellow Taxi, Born To Be Wild/Magic Carpet Ride. If you're lucky they'll play something by The Ducklings though.

Interesting thing about the GW - I remember reading that the largest crowd ever assembled in one place in Canada was not for a Stanley Cup game, but for the GW reunion show in Toronto in 2003 - 450,000, about 1.5% of the country's population.

Yes, but let me put this in some perspective. That was at the Sars-stock festival that also included The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Rush, Justin Timberlake, and some good but a bit more obscure bands like The Flaming Lips, Blue Rodeo, etc. Also, Dan Aykroyd was there...and so was I! It was a benefit concert to revive the Toronto economy after the Sars outbreaks. It made me realize that I never wanted to attend a festival-like show again - too crowded.

And the most visited gravesite in the Great White North does not belong to a political leader or some such, but to pianist Glenn Gould.  (Contrary to widespread popular belief, the Unknown Soldiers and JFK still beat out the King for most-visited status in the USA.) So since it's plain Canadians love their music and love musicians with more than a dash of the eccentric, it's apropos Brian celebrate his 70th there.

I'm cool with that!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:44 AM »

They were asking for Stamos, as are my own kids and their friends.  And it might be the factor that is the deciding one to see them.   Wink

It wasn't the fact that she was yelling out John Stamos. It was the fact that she was belittling what was already announced to be a tribute to a fellow bandmember/family member who has died with obnoxious shouting. I saw her after the show and she was no kid.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »

Will there ever be a video of Getcha Back ? how i wonder.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »

Seems not...
The closest I could find is a pre-soundcheck:  http://youtu.be/3CKFsUQiLyg

jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »

Thanks for the set list. very happy to see "getcha back" now in the show.

jet without wings
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »

Seems not...
The closest I could find is a pre-soundcheck:  http://youtu.be/3CKFsUQiLyg

Thank you *gives a big delicious kiss on the right cheek*
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »

One of the best night's of my life! Two days ago i somehow won a Live Nation contest for 2 free tickets AND 1 free photo pass to go down to the side of the stage during the first two songs! Keep in mind that i already had two tickets for the show purchased, (very last row way off in the corner).  

So i walked in with security and official photographers and was able to go right up to the stage and take as many pics as i liked. I took a video of the first song, Do It Again. I even got one of the pro photographers (super nice guy)  to take a picture of me right up against the stage while the band played behind me. All of the boys are in the shot! I cannot stop looking at the picture. It blows my mind. I am the happiest guy in the world right now.

The show itself was brilliant. Couldn't believe how great they all sounded and played. Seriously, one of the best night's ever!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:22:55 PM by BiNNS » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »

One of the best night's of my life! Two days ago i somehow won a Live Nation contest for 2 free tickets AND 1 free photo pass to go down to the side of the stage during the first two songs! Keep in mind that i already had two tickets for the show purchased, (very last row way off in the corner).  

So i walked in with security and official photographers and was able to go right up to the stage and take as many pics as i liked. I took a video of the first song, Do It Again. I even got one of the pro photographers (super nice guy)  to take a picture of me right up against the stage while the band played behind me. All of the boys were in the shot! I cannot stop looking at the picture. It blows my mind. I am the happiest guy in the world right now.

The show itself was brilliant. Couldn't believe how great they all sounded and played. Seriously, one of the best night's ever!

Post the pic!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »

I'm just glad most of us English people don't have a clue who the f*ck John Stamos is. Grin
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »

BiNNS' picture that he refers to above.  Cool shot!  We can clearly see a camera man filming right at the stage which would suggest that there was some filming that night.  BiNNS: did you notice that camera man there throughout the show?  Was there any kind of screen projecting the action on the stage?    If this guy is indeed filming for the DVD it makes you wonder how exactly they are orgnanizing this footage since they've filmed so many different shows now....

BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »

The camera man was there the whole show. There indeed was screen projecting of the on stage action as well as the fans in attendance. I would love it if some of this  performance made it onto a future live dvd.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »

Yes indeed..not sure if you can remember but did you notice any of this guy's camera angles being used in the projected screen?  Any closeups of the band from where he was standing?  If none of his camera angles were used on the screens it would be a good assumption that he was there filming specifically just for the DVD.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure that all of that one camera man's shots were used for the screens. Oh well, still can't believe how great lastnight was.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »

Thanks for the info!  That limits the chances that they were for the DVD then--but we can't be too sure--- there's still a slight chance.

Great shot though...a nice one to frame!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »

37 minutes of the show...  but not Getcha Back: http://youtu.be/-LhUuHAPl2E

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:16:01 PM by STE » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx