gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:35:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: On my way to sunny Californ-i-a ... any advice?  (Read 13854 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 10:52:45 AM »

Hey! Never heard about a dutch beach boys convention in may?Huh Anybody have info on this?? Thanks!!! Yorick

Just go to http://www.brianwilson-fans.com/

and you'll be totally informed on this fan meeting. Unfortunately I'll miss it, but then again...well...you already know...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
peeping tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 12:18:22 PM »

You will be more than welcome to join the Dutch, Yorick. After posting those Unsurpassed Masters downloads we might make you a VIP.  :D
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 12:51:24 PM »

I had planned to drive over to Hathorne fron Anaheim but it was the LOCALSwho warned me to stay away.   I asked people in several areas of Orange County aboput going there and it was unanimous.....uhm...uh uh, better not.....Seemed like good advice to heed.  Not necessarily a racial issue and I'm not a racist but I'm for caution and I chose to not go, especially driving around in my rental car in a strange area.  Maybe a cab ride would have felt safer. 

As for Jons remarks about going around LA neighborhoods, I did that twenty years ago and I even got robbed but it didnt bother me too much then.  I'm more cautious in my old age. 
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 03:50:25 AM »

I just got back from Orange County.  There is a great record store called Mr. C's records in an area called Old Orange about five miles west of Anaheim.  This place is literally frozen in the sixties.  Old Gas Stations, movie theatres etc. 

The record store can be seen inthe street scenes of That Thing You Do.  Go there.  The place is chock full of the best display of vintage records you've EVER SEEN.  The owner is an old friend of Dick Dale and he shared his photo album with me.  It was off season for tourists in Orange County so he had time to just chat with me for an hour.

I might try and find that store as well...are any specific details known on this record store (which street etc.)? Thanks in advance!!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 06:36:06 AM »

Mr. C's Rare Records
148 N. Glassell
Orange California
10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.  Tuesday thru Saturday
Phone 714-532-3835 or 714-639-6281

If you go there is much more to see in the neighborhood.  The remnants of a farm town when that area was agricultural many years ago, before it all became part of greater Los Angeles.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 06:38:15 AM »

Try this site for Old Orange

http://www.oldtowneorange.net/history.htm
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »

Mr. C's Rare Records
148 N. Glassell
Orange California
10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.  Tuesday thru Saturday
Phone 714-532-3835 or 714-639-6281

If you go there is much more to see in the neighborhood.  The remnants of a farm town when that area was agricultural many years ago, before it all became part of greater Los Angeles.

Cool! thanks, very quick answer! Long live the messageboard....
Orange county is on the "what to do in CA" list....

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 01:51:54 AM »

Here are a few more:

Goldstar Recording Studio was at 6252 Santa Monica Blvd (just E. of Vine on the S. side of the street). The location is now a strip mall (not a strip joint) though.

Radio Recorders is another historic (and still existing) recording studio where Elvis, among others, recorded many of his hits.  It is located  at 7000 Santa Monica Blvd.  They had the good sense to put a nice historic landmark here which I feel would be nice to do at Western.

A.B.L.E. Machinery Company (Always Better Lasting Equipment), was located at 4969 East Firestone Blvd. in Southgate.  A.B.L.E. was Murry’s startup company before he got out of the business to manage the Beach Boys full-time.   

The Fosters Freeze that inspired “Fun Fun Fun” is still at 11969 Hawthorne Blvd close to the BB landmark.  They have a bit of BB stuff posted.

A short ways down Hawthorne Blvd at 13763 Hawthorne Boulevard was the Hawthorne Grill.  It was used in filming the key robbery scenes in Pulp Fiction.  It was torn down a couple of years ago though.  It was in it’s prime in the early 60’s and I’d speculate that some or all of the Wilson’s went there on occasion, which I think is interesting.       

Dead Man’s Curve (the spot referred to in the song) is located on Sunset near Groverton Place, (just north of the UCLA campus).  Just east on Sunset, near the intersection at Whittier Drive is where Jan Berry had the terrible accident in his Corvette Stingray 427

Dennis Wilson kept his boat on Basin C dock in Marina Del Rey.   

Elvis first met the Beatles at 565 Perugia Way, a stone’s throw from Bellagio. I understand that  the original house there is gone now. 
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 10:13:56 AM »

Anybody know where Valentine's studio or ID Sound was?
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 11:16:24 AM »

And, wasn't their some shrimp place off the Santa Monica Pier where the boys used to go? Or am I making that up?
PeteS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »

Amoeba Records on Sunset.

also Ameoba records in Haight Ashbury , San Fransisco
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx