gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:17:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: On my way to sunny Californ-i-a ... any advice?  (Read 13755 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2006, 03:36:29 AM »

Hello everyone on the board

Next month me and my wife are going on a 3-week holiday.
Which means unfortunately I’ll miss the Beach Boys convention in the Netherlands (May 20th)…but things could be worse as our destination is California!!

As it is our first visit to the U.S. of course we did some research on “must-see” places in California as well as Arizona and Nevada, so we already have an idea of what route we’ll take and which cities and (national) parks we’re going to visit.

But what to do if you’re a huge Beach Boys fan and you’re about to drive into the city of Los Angeles? I (think I) know how to find Hawthorne, so of course I’ll take the opportunity to visit the Historical Landmark. Recently I found a map from 2001 called “A Beach Boys Guide To Hawthorne” on the Brian Wilson message board, so that’s a good start…but there’s more I guess. I was told the SMiLE-firestation still exists…but where is it? Where to find Paradise Cove (where the Surfin’ Safari sleeve photo was taken)? You’ll probably get the message: does anyone on the board know interesting Beach Boys hot-spots in L.A. or nearby?

And are there any collectors out there who know where to find the best record-stores in L.A. as well as in San Francisco? I’d love to increase my vinyl-collection…

Thanks in advance for all your answers!

Greetings, SMiLE-Holland

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 03:47:07 AM »

Drive Highway 1 along the coast through Big Sur. You'll never want to leave California.

In LA you can also still eat at Fairfax and Third -  it's a farmers' market with some great fresh healthy food on offer.

I think Jon Stebbins book included a map or a list of places to go and see in LA too.

“We live in divisive times.”
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 06:06:25 AM »

6000 Sunset Blvd - Western Studios, Brian's favourite recording studio in the 60s.
6050 Sunset Blvd - Oceanway, formerly United Studios.
6650 Sunset Blvd - Sunset Sound Studios.
Sunset and Gower - the CBS building, somewhere in there the Beach Boys recorded vocals.
Hollywood Blvd and Vine - The Capitol Records building.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 11:21:44 AM »

And are there any collectors out there who know where to find the best record-stores in L.A. as well as in San Francisco? I’d love to increase my vinyl-collection…

The absolutely best vinyl record store on the planet is Village Music Record Store in Mill Valley, CA (just north of San Francisco; cross the Golden Gate Bridge, drive about 15 - 20 minutes and you're there). This is the store Elvis Costello raves about (see link below). If you end up not leaving southern California, then Rockaway Records in Silver Lake is pretty decent, but nowhere near the grandeur of Village Music.

http://www.villagemusic.com/index.html
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 01:58:54 PM »

A few suggestions. I'll leave it to you to find addresses on the net.

Carls grave...Westwood.
Paradise Cove...Just North of Malibu (free parking when eating, good food!)
The whole Marina Del Rey/ Santa Monica area. Dennis had his boat and drowned at the Marina. Was known to have a few drinks at various bars!

and in San Fran. A few feet from the Grateful Dead house in Haight Asbury, Ambrose or Armbrose Records( or something like that!)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »

From L.A., take the 101 North towards Malibu. Exit at Las Virgenes and take a left, and prepare for a beautiful drive you'll never forget.  Las Virgenes will take you several miles until you get to Malibu Canyon, which is  incredibly scenic.  You'll hit the ocean at Pepperdine University,and take a right and drive along the ocean.  Paradise Cove will be a few miles north, and sits back from the road a little- you'll have to pay to park.  Say "Hi" to Frankie, Dee Dee, and Deadhead.

Any corrections or additions welcome...

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Wilsonista
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 02:37:05 PM »

Amoeba Records on Sunset.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 02:49:26 PM »

Check out the Santa Monica Pier in downtown Santa Monica.  Then when you leave the pier, take a right onto Ocean Ave, and not even a block up on your left will be Chez Jay's - Dennis' fave hangout, and home of some truly fine food!  If Jay is there tell him you're a fan of Dennis and the Boys, and you'll have some fun conversation as well!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 03:23:21 PM »

10452 Bellagio Road in Bel Air, former home of the Brian Wilson and Edgar Rice Burroughs families. 
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 02:17:35 AM »

Hello again.

I’ve just read al you comments and want to thank you all for all your advice!

Our vacation is a 3-week stay in California, Arizona and Nevada and includes car-rent, so we have all the freedom we want. Our trip starts in San Francisco where we’ll stay a couple of days, so there should be plenty of time to visit the Village Music Record Store (thanks Roger Ryan).

From S.F. we head of to L.A.: of course we’ll take the “tourist”-route along the coast. Cruisin’ through www.Map24.com I recognised all those familiar names as Big Sur / Sycamore, Monterey and Morro Bay. The California Saga get’s a whole new meaning for me now. Must be awsom to pass through all these places. Will certainly not forget Malibu Canyon Road and Paradise Cove. Unfortunately of all the BB-books I own, Jon Stebbin’s is still missing in the collection… (shame on me). Thanks Wee Helper, Surfer Joe and TheOtherAnonymous.

And, ehhhmmm… Frankie, Dee Dee, and Deadhead?

And even when we near L.A. all we have to do is to follow Highway 1. I will try and find Jay at Ocean Ave. They even mention his restaurant on map24, great! (thanks Susan). Sunset Boulevard…found it….quite a long road though. Where are those studio’s located geographically. I probably won’t be able to miss that Capitol Tower! (thanks aeijtzsche and Wilsonista). Bel Air was on our list already, but I totally forgot about Bellagio Road: thanks Third Coast.

By then I’ve probably bored my wife more than enough. And there’s more, much more than just Beach Boys. From there we’ve planned to go eastwards (or San Diego and than eastwards). Destination: Phoenix and Tucson, where a good friend of ours lives. After that our main goal is to visit the most beautiful National Parks there are to be found. Not an easy choice, but Death Valley and Yosemite are on the list. 3 weeks is much too short…so I’m afraid that when we finally end up in San Francisco again for our flight back home we’d wish we could go for another round.

Thanks again!

greetings, SMiLE-Holland

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 05:25:00 AM »

The drive along the coast will be your most favourite part of the entire trip. It's just stunningly beautiful! But BE SURE you've got plenty of time. While it only takes about seven hours to do the straight drive from LA to San Fran, it will take well over twelve hours to do the coastal drive, but you WON'T regret it. Also get a very early start so you'll have as much daylight as possible. It's a little out of the way, but if you find the time, go to Sequoia(sp?) National Forest, and plan to spend AT LEAST two to three hours there. I haven't been to Yosemite but I've heard it's beautiful.

Those studios are all in Hollywood, basically within a one mile radius of Hollywood and Vine. Also check out the former site of Gold Star at Vine Street and Santa Monica Blvd. (a couple of blocks south of Hollywood and Vine). If you'd like a hotel recommendation, I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT RECOMMEND HIGHLY ENOUGH the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, located in a very quaint, and most importantly, QUIET, little cove right in the heart of Hollywood. It's within easy walking distance of everything in Hollywood, including all of the aforementioned recording studios (I even walked to the Sunset Strip area of Sunset Blvd. from the hotel, but it's about two to three miles away, so don't try it unless you've got time, energy, and a jacket). The staff is the most friendly hotel staff I've ever come across, the rates are among the lowest in that area, and the rooms are just great!

Be sure to check out the Sunset Strip on a Saturday night when it's most alive. You can see the Whiskey A Go Go, the Roxy, the famous Tower Records store (where that infamous Van Dyke Parks interview took place in the parking lot!), and a bunch of other great sites. A couple blocks south on Santa Monica Blvd is the Troubadour where, among other things, Brian Wilson was introduced to Van Dyke Parks. I actually highly recommend taking one of those bus tours, even if you're not into the whole tourist thing. If nothing else, it might give you an idea of what you want to go back and spend more time on.

Also, I'm not sure where it is, but according to an interview with Brian, he eats at the Beverly Glenn deli every morning (I hope that's not too private information, but the only reason I know it is because he said it), so you could probably see him there. Enjoy your stay! (You'll never want to leave, and three months later you'll be aching to go back!)
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 06:06:54 AM »

Here are some more.  BTW, could you please post that Hawthorne map you mentioned ?

The firehouse seen in the GV promo is LAFD Fire Station 27,  located on 1355 North Cahuenga Boulevard in Hollywood.

After Bellagio I think Brian moved to:
1448 Laurel Way, Beverly Hills .  It's a long windy road way up in the hills.
His new house is in a gated area, don't think you can go there:
14042 Aubrey Rd.  Beverly Hills.

Carls' grave:
Westwood Memorial Park.1218 Glendon Avenue, Westwood. LA.
 Located in the center lawned section to the far left by the large tree.

Dennis boat slip in Marina Del Ray: Marquessa Way

If you get as far south as Orange County, you might want to make a stop in Newport Beach. Take the I-55 South off the I-5 keep following it till the freeway ends for about 2 miles, over the Pacific Coast Highway. That gets you to the Balboa Peninsula where if you keep heading south, past the site of the old Rendezvous Ballroom, past Dick Dale's former mansion.

Have fun!
Roland
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 06:27:34 AM »

It's a sad thing but I've looked in a number of UK travel guides for California as a whole and LA in particular (Rough Guide, Time Out, Lonely Planet etc).  And nowhere in them is a single mention of The Beach Boys nor of Hawthorne itself (other than on the odd map, and often not even there).  Certainly not in any index.  Seems strange for the group that virtually put the state to song!  And one or two of these books actually has a photograph of a surfer on the cover! 

Don't think you'd find a travel guide for Liverpool, England that didn't mention you know who!

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »

It's a sad thing but I've looked in a number of UK travel guides for California as a whole and LA in particular (Rough Guide, Time Out, Lonely Planet etc).  And nowhere in them is a single mention of The Beach Boys nor of Hawthorne itself (other than on the odd map, and often not even there).  Certainly not in any index.  Seems strange for the group that virtually put the state to song!  And one or two of these books actually has a photograph of a surfer on the cover! 

I've seen several travel guides and one f them did mention the Beach Boys, albeit minimal: quarter of a page including a picture of Mike Love from the 80-ies...what an improvement... Undecided

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 10:26:05 AM »

The drive along the coast will be your most favourite part of the entire trip. It's just stunningly beautiful! But BE SURE you've got plenty of time.

I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT RECOMMEND HIGHLY ENOUGH the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, located in a very quaint, and most importantly, QUIET, little cove right in the heart of Hollywood. It's within easy walking distance of everything in Hollywood, including all of the aforementioned recording studios (I even walked to the Sunset Strip area of Sunset Blvd. from the hotel, but it's about two to three miles away, so don't try it unless you've got time, energy, and a jacket). The staff is the most friendly hotel staff I've ever come across, the rates are among the lowest in that area, and the rooms are just great!

Also, I'm not sure where it is, but according to an interview with Brian, he eats at the Beverly Glenn deli every morning (I hope that's not too private information, but the only reason I know it is because he said it), so you could probably see him there. Enjoy your stay! (You'll never want to leave, and three months later you'll be aching to go back!)

Don't worry: we've planned at least a day for this coast-trip, if that ain't enough we'll go for a second day as well!!!

Thanks for the hint on the hotel. Maybe a typical Dutch question  Grin , but...what are the rates?

Although I'd love to meet BW in person, I think I'll give him the privacy he deserves. But if he wants to he can always have a seat at my breakfast table...

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 10:35:06 AM »

Here are some more.  BTW, could you please post that Hawthorne map you mentioned ?

Let's see if I get this thing working...

nope...sorry...having troubles with this jpg-file. I'll send it to you directly.

NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 11:32:59 AM »

http://www.hotelcelebrity.com/rates.htm

Not CHEAP, but very cheap for the area, the service, and the cleanliness. For Hollywood, You could get as low as $70 a night, maybe even a little less, if you wanted to stay in the worst part of town in a terrible hotel with cockroaches in every room. You could also choose to stay in a less touristy part of LA for cheaper, but you wouldn't be as close to a lot of things, and you might actually end up spending more money on gas, cabs, parking, etc.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 09:34:49 AM »

Let's see if I get this thing working...

nope...sorry...having troubles with this jpg-file. I'll send it to you directly.

second try: the map was a bit too heavy...I hope the quality isn't too bad now...

[attachment deleted by admin]

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 12:46:12 PM »

I just got back from Orange County.  There is a great record store called Mr. C's records in an area called Old Orange about five miles west of Anaheim.  This place is literally frozen in the sixties.  Old Gas Stations, movie theatres etc. 

The record store can be seen inthe street scenes of That Thing You Do.  Go there.  The place is chock full of the best display of vintage records you've EVER SEEN.  The owner is an old friend of Dick Dale and he shared his photo album with me.  It was off season for tourists in Orange County so he had time to just chat with me for an hour.

I also recommend going south of LA County down the Pacific Coast Highway at least as far as Laguna Beach.  Again, tourist season doesnt really begin until June and it is quite beautifrul there in the spring.  A lot like Carmel on Monterey Bay.

And as for visiting Hawthorne, its close to Compton and no longer a place for Whitey to be hanging around in his flower print shirt looking for Beachboys memories.  Locals warned against going there.  Don't go alone for sure.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »

And as for visiting Hawthorne, its close to Compton and no longer a place for Whitey to be hanging around in his flower print shirt looking for Beachboys memories.  Locals warned against going there.  Don't go alone for sure.

Thanks, I'll take that warning seriously...maybe the landmark should be enough then...

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 04:50:08 PM »

This isn't Iraq.  There aren't people cruising the streets of Hawthorne looking for random tourists to slaughter. 

I've walked through the most dangerous neighborhoods of Chicago plenty of times, and I'm still alive.  If you're out in broad daylight in reasonably busy areas, there won't be a problem.

I think a "stay away" isolationist attitude is contributing to the divide that seperates the "bad" areas from the "good" areas in the first place.  That's not to say I would walk through Watts with a lot of jewelry at 2 in the morning by myself, but at the end of the day, we're all just people scared of something. 
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 05:52:17 PM »

Hey I'm as white as they come...and I lived in L.A. for a decade, and I visit there regularly still...I've walked through the worst and the best parts of town many, many times...hispanic neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, korean neighborhoods, mixed, trashy, valley, poor, wealthy...you name it...i've been there. In all my years in So Cal. the only times I've been physically assaulted were by my fellow white folk. I'm not saying everybody's gonna have the same experience as me. My point is if I had followed the above advice and stayed off the black peoples' turf...I would have had my ass kicked the exact same amount of times. I say check it all out if you want the L.A. experience...remember Mike Love went to a nearly all black high school...Be True To His School.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 01:51:50 AM »

This isn't Iraq.  There aren't people cruising the streets of Hawthorne looking for random tourists to slaughter. 

I've walked through the most dangerous neighborhoods of Chicago plenty of times, and I'm still alive.  If you're out in broad daylight in reasonably busy areas, there won't be a problem.

I think a "stay away" isolationist attitude is contributing to the divide that seperates the "bad" areas from the "good" areas in the first place.  That's not to say I would walk through Watts with a lot of jewelry at 2 in the morning by myself, but at the end of the day, we're all just people scared of something. 

I understand. I didn't mean to give you the impression I'd make a difference in my approach towards people from so called good and bad area's. I don’t think in terms of “black” and “white”. It’s just good to keep in mind that it’s not the neighbourhood it once was. And I wasn't planning to travel through Hawthorne at night in the first place.

As I’m married to a South African lady, I’ve been in Pretoria very often. Cities in South Africa have, let’s say, the reputation of being very unsafe. In reality the situation is usually not like that. Of course you shouldn’t go to certain area’s, but that doesn’t mean you should avoid the old centre or Hatfield for example. It’s the way you represent yourself: if you walk around like the curious, but naïve tourist, walking around in shorts (only tourists do that overthere) and with a big camera on your shoulders, ready to go for a safari, you practically ask for it…act like anyone else, and there’s no problem at all. Not that I could compare Hawthorne with Soweto/Johannesburg, but still it’s good to be alert.

So don’t worry: it won’t stop me from going to Hawthorne; I just keep my eyes open.

Joanne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 06:24:10 AM »

I know this won't help for this trip, but BettyJo Productions is currently putting together a book on Beach  Boys locations and sites for fans trying to get around California to see everything. When it's finished we will be sure to post the info.
www.bettyjoproductions.com
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 10:35:26 AM »

Hey! Never heard about a dutch beach boys convention in may?Huh Anybody have info on this?? Thanks!!! Yorick
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx