gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:20:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate That's Why God Made The Radio
5 - 21 (16.5%)
4 - 70 (55.1%)
3 - 29 (22.8%)
2 - 7 (5.5%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 118

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: That's Why God Made The Radio  (Read 70910 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2016, 11:28:22 AM »

I mean, Brian goes on tour with Al and sings all the great old hits - Good Vibrations, Help Me Rhonda, I Get Around, Surfin' USA, Don't Worry Baby, California Girls; Mike tours with Bruce and does the same. They should be together. Life is short.

"Life is short" is exactly why they shouldn't get back together if they don't want to (which, considering they aren't together, is presumably the case). Doing something you don't want to do because other people prefer it? Life is short. Do what you want and let the internet cry about it. If they wanted to, great. But they apparently don't. Oh well. TWGMTR was a good album and the closing was very classy, a respectable way to go out.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2016, 11:02:18 PM »

^Your opinion. Why would they stop if they tour, write books etc.? They got energy, while they're alive they could get together for next album after TWGMTR. Would be very silly if they blew this chance.
Yes, it would be silly.  I mean, Brian goes on tour with Al and sings all the great old hits - Good Vibrations, Help Me Rhonda, I Get Around, Surfin' USA, Don't Worry Baby, California Girls; Mike tours with Bruce and does the same. They should be together. Life is short.

It would be great if they did get together, especially now that Blondie is back in the fold.  But, I'm not holding my breath.  When the books arrive in the fall, I think that would potentially be the final nail in the coffin for any hope of a full reunion of surviving members again. 

But, you never know.  If Motley Crue could get together after The Dirt came out, almost anything is possible. 

Maybe Mike and Brian can fight over which members of the Crue join their crew!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2016, 03:26:08 AM »

It's very strange that you as a BBs fan wouldn't like to hear new BBs record with new vocals etc.

See the captain's post of 17 June. The man speaks sense (as always).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2016, 05:14:36 AM »

Okay, they've got energy. Good. The Beatles did great things individually after collectively calling it a day. Beefheart turned to his other love, painting. They had energy in abundance and the two survivors still have.

I'd say it would be silly of the Boys to blow this chance of saying, "The Beach Boys are no more. That's what TWGMTR is telling you, if only you'd listen."     
Your Beatles argument is weak. Their case is different. BBs are old, what you say is your opinion. It's very strange that you as a BBs fan wouldn't like to hear new BBs record with new vocals etc. It's possible to get together for just *one* album. They don't have to talk, they would just sing. what's so difficult about it? & how do you know for sure they wouldn't come up with another "Summer's gone"-type "swan song", as you say? It's possible too.
KDS, I disagree. "No Pier Pressure" doesn't give an idea what new BBs album could sound like. It's Brian+young guests. The BBs album will be with BBs voices, obviously.

RR, the reason I cite NPP as the closest thing to a Beach Boys follow-up is that, apparently, some of the songs on that album were intended for a possible follow-up to TWGMTR.  Plus, Al Jardine's on five tracks. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2016, 05:49:49 AM »

Not sure why you quote me then if you agree with other poster. Which is just that, agreement with other poster. It's not truth of some kind, just opinion. But I, reading BBs threads, see that most posters want the band to continue & hope for reunion. Hence my amazement at your post. I just think it would be natural of fans to expect more from their favorite band.

RR, I am not most posters. Once you begin to accept that, you will be on the road to understanding. Cool Guy   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
KDS
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2016, 06:24:19 AM »

Yes, I know. That's why seeing you say what you did took me aback. Re-read the post you quoted.

KDS, were intended but it doesn't *sound* like BBs. It's young guests with Al in just 5 tracks. Where is Mike? Bruce?

I barely heard any of Bruce on TWGMTR. 

I think the vocal harmonies are pretty "Beach Boy esque" on NPP, even if Mike isn't in the mix.   

Although, in addition to Al, you do get a lead from Blondie Chaplin.  Granted, he wasn't a part of the BB 2012 lineup, but he was a Beach Boy.
KDS
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2016, 06:30:45 AM »

The harmonies but there weren't actual vocals, not very much. It's a Brian solo with few Al leads & Blondie's verses. Whereas TWGMTR featured every BB. Mike's voice is core.

I hear you.  But, I think realistically, going forward, Brian Wilson solo albums will be the closest we'll get to new Beach Boys albums. 

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »

The harmonies but there weren't actual vocals, not very much. It's a Brian solo with few Al leads & Blondie's verses. Whereas TWGMTR featured every BB. Mike's voice is core.

I hear you.  But, I think realistically, going forward, Brian Wilson solo albums will be the closest we'll get to new Beach Boys albums. 

IF we get any more BW solo albums.
KDS
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2016, 05:08:43 AM »

True.

I don't think we can realistically expect as much activity as we've had in the last five years or so.  (BB album, C50 tour, NPP, L&M, tours from both camps, two autobiographies). 

I think anything we get going forward is a bonus. 

I think, at a minimum, we'll see the rock and roll album Brian has been talking about.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »

True.

I don't think we can realistically expect as much activity as we've had in the last five years or so.  (BB album, C50 tour, NPP, L&M, tours from both camps, two autobiographies). 

I think anything we get going forward is a bonus. 

I think, at a minimum, we'll see the rock and roll album Brian has been talking about.
I will be very surprised if he ever does the rock and roll album. I guess it depends on what his handlers think will sell.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2016, 12:31:22 AM »

I'd be surprised if Brian even releases any new album period. Never say never I know, unless
it follows suit to NPP.  Can't really see Brian being too much hands on in the studio at his age.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »

I'd be surprised if Brian even releases any new album period. Never say never I know, unless
it follows suit to NPP.  Can't really see Brian being too much hands on in the studio at his age.
And what's the point when the albums sell only a certain amount, and the general public only wants to hear him sing the hits from the 60's? Brian's spent a lot of years recording, touring, recording, touring, he'd probably enjoy a nice vacation now.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2017, 09:08:49 PM »

I give it a 3. I think the good songs (Think About The Days, That's Why God Made the Radio, Isn't It Time) and the great songs (Strange World, From There To Back Again, Pacific Coast Highway, Summer's Gone) add up to an amount of quality that hadn't been on a Beach Boys album since Love You. If it'd only been those 7 songs released as an EP, it'd be a 4.3.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2019, 04:57:34 AM »

Found this on my hard disk and thought why waste it?

Here, for better or for worse, is my transcription of the chords of "TWGMTT". There are moments when the chords reflect the vocal harmonies. At times my primitive notational system has forced me to choose between the vocal and instrumental harmonies. Such is life. All corrections and/or suggestions welcome----except that one suggestion. 

Intro:
| C - - - | F/G - - - ||
Verse I:
| C - Am - | Bm - Esus4 E | A - F#m7 - | Dm - G - | Am - D - | Am - D - | Dm - C/E - |
| Bb - - - | Gsus4 - G - ||
Chorus I:
| C - - - | Gm - - - | Eb Ebma7 Ebm7 - | Db - Dbma7 Dbm7 | F# F#ma7 F#m7 - | B - D - | F#/C# - G#m/C# | F#/C# - G#m/C# - |
| Dm7+9 - C/E Fma7 | Gsus4 - G - ||
Verse II
Chorus II
Bridge:

| Am - - - | D - - - | Dm - C/E - | Fma7 - G - | Bbm/Ab - Ab - ||
Coda + fade (general chords only):
| Db - - - | Abm - - - | Db - - - | B - - - ||
| Db - - - | Abm - - - | Db Ab/C Bbm - | Ebm - Gbm - |
| Db - - - | Abm - - - | Db Db/C Bbm - | B - - - |
| Db - - - | Abm - - - | Db Ab/C Bbm - | Ebm - Gbm - ||

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx