gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:46:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate That's Why God Made The Radio
5 - 21 (16.5%)
4 - 70 (55.1%)
3 - 29 (22.8%)
2 - 7 (5.5%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 118

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That's Why God Made The Radio  (Read 70937 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »

1. Think About the Days - 4/5
2. That's Why God Made the Radio 4/5
3. Isn't it Time - 3/5
4. Spring Vacation - 0/5
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - 0/5
6. Shelter - 0/5
7. Daybreak - 1/5
8. Beaches in Mind - 0/5
9. Strange World - 2/5
10. From There to Back Again - 3/5
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 1/5
12. Summer's Gone - 2/5

Starts off promising but then just completely falls apart. Redeems itself slightly towards the end. WAAAAAAY too much Foskett and the odd touch of dodgy tuna throughout kills an already bad set of songs.
1/5 overall.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »

Track by track?

1. Think About the Days - 5/5
2. That's Why God Made the Radio 3/5
3. Isn't it Time - 2/5
4. Spring Vacation - 1/5
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - 2/5
6. Shelter - 3/5
7. Daybreak - 2/5
8. Beaches in Mind - 1/5
9. Strange World - 4/5
10. From There to Back Again - 5/5
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 5/5
12. Summer's Gone - 5/5

Changed my mind some:

1. Think About the Days - 5/5
2. That's Why God Made the Radio 2/5
3. Isn't it Time - 0/5
4. Spring Vacation - 0/5
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - 0/5
6. Shelter - 0/5
7. Daybreak - 0/5
8. Beaches in Mind - 0/5
9. Strange World - 4/5
10. From There to Back Again - 5/5
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 5/5
12. Summer's Gone - 4/5
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »

Daaamn.

Lesse here

1. Think About the Days - Inexplicably really beautiful, makes the following dreck all the worse
2. That's Why God Made the Radio - Not too shabby, but sooo thin
3. Isn't it Time - Best of the fun-in-the-sun cuts, very summery despite poor Mike's mangled "isn't it time" at the end of the chorus that sounds like they got the robot from ELO
4. Spring Vacation - Awful lyrics, kinda nice backing track, nothing special overall
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - Absurdly ridiculously preposterously meh
6. Shelter - Close to a decent song, some nice moments ("shelter from the sunlight") but distressingly half-assed and thin-sounding
7. Daybreak - Really just a nothing song, not offensive or close to good
8. Beaches in Mind - Could actually come from SIP and wouldn't be anywhere near the best track
9. Strange World - Nice, but a bit too flawed for me to consider it part of the closing medley (apart from those EERIE noises at the end, gimme chills)
10. From There to Back Again - Out of nowhere, something really wonderful (excusing the processing on Al's lead), far and away the best song on the album
11. Pacific Coast Highway - A lovely link between FTTBA and SG, but a bit too short to work on its own the same way the previous track does
12. Summer's Gone - A bit too simple and repetitive, but with beautiful moments ("I should wait/ I should stay", the sounds on the fadeout). Still miles ahead of tracks 2-9, makes for a fitting end

Ratings are too hard

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »

I see I rated it 4/5, I'd say now it's more of a 3/5.

I agree with most of the other posters that the middle of the album is highly lacking.  I don't think it's bad, it's listenable but just very bland.  However, the first three tracks and the last three tracks are great.  So there's a great half of an album here.  Graded on a curve (because come on, it's the Beach Boys with Brian Wilson in 2012, it's still incredible that it was made in the first place), 3 out of 5 sounds right.  I'd say it's just as good as if not better than LA (Light Album) or the 1985 album.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:38:28 PM by Rocky Horror » Logged

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2015, 08:30:02 PM »

Spring vacation is a great rocker and very fun to drive too. Beaches in mind somehow could have been great. What goes wrong on that song? My hero and my favorite beach boy was poorly served by the production because his guitar does not sound prominent nor clear.

Daybreak has voices on it that are not the Beach Boys and therefore should never have been on the album. Shelter and the private life of bill and Sue have not aged well for me and though I never turn a single song off when I listen to this album, I really dread those two songs in particular. I can listen to the title track over and over again endlessly. The final three songs and the opening number are also of infinite beauty. I made a playlist and replaced the album version of isn't it time with the single version because Jeff sounds so terrible on that album version. I think this album is overall quite wonderful and I listen to it and Brian's recent solo album over and over again to calm my troubled soul. All the moments of magic, or rather most of them, come when I hear multiple Beach Boys singing or playing together. Just to be able to say, there is Bruce, and now Mike comes in, and boy there is al singing and wow dave is playing some great stuff there, and wow Brian sounds strong on that, etcetera etcetera. That is the magic of listening to any collaborative work including the Beach Boys
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2016, 12:41:40 PM »

Gave this another spin this evening. It's a great album----and the perfect swansong.

If NPP is a collection of miniatures, TWGMTR is wide-screen all the way. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2016, 12:59:01 PM »

Gave this another spin this evening. It's a great album----and the perfect swansong.

If NPP is a collection of miniatures, TWGMTR is wide-screen all the way. 

I agree.  Love this album.

To me the last three songs are the most fitting end to a recording career since The Beatles' Golden Slumbers / Carry that Weight / The End. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »

To me the last three songs are the most fitting end to a recording career since The Beatles' Golden Slumbers / Carry that Weight / The End. 

This.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2016, 12:43:25 AM »

[This original Beach Boys album  (which may be the last one ever) deserves its own Tribute-renga palindrome - and RengaWagneR delivers!
These songs could be on a movie Soundtrack like a re-make of "NADINE". We suggest exactly that in the following film pitch/synopsis, introducing William DaFOE as director and danish singer-songwriter: Carla K(j)aerby as Nadine (with ROB Frabroni as the Sound engineer!). Soundtrack: mostly songs from GOD MADE RADIO'z (From Here To BACK AGAIN/Beaches In MIND/DAYBREAK/LIFE OF SUE/Spring VACATION/Isn't It TIME/PACIFIC Coast Highway/SUMMER's WORLD=a Medley out of SUMMER's Gone + Strange WORLD) movie-dog Borzoi=a wolfhound. FOCI=plural of focus. ENJOY!:]

'
    ->->"Hey-ho borzoi! DARE,
  dam' dog!" Handl-rows (R.E.M.)
      Music of "Back Again".
I'm sub "Mind", "Daybreak"! (Enid?
      - an SM). "Life Of Sue".
                    ²
    "Vacation" and/or "Time" (?)
      Slap pacific-apron 'till
          it 'n'/or "Pacific"
      appals!  EMI trod nano-
      IT, a cave (U.S.). 'FOE
                    ³
    FILMS NADINE: "K'aerby!
  Add nimbus!!" Mini-'Aga K.' >
      cab, FOCI!  "Summer's
World"? Nah! "GOD MADE RADIO'z"
         ROB!  (oh yeh)<-<-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:38:56 AM by rasmus skotte » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »

What are you smoking?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2016, 01:38:53 AM »

What are you smoking?

He's more likely quaffing fine Sussex ales----and who can blame him? Grin

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »

Been listening to this again recently.

1. Think About the Days - wonderful
2. That's Why God Made the Radio - take or leave
3. Isn't it Time - mostly leave
4. Spring Vacation - Awful
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - weak
6. Shelter - take or leave
7. Daybreak - Don't like it. Not the Mike track I would have chosen to recycle...
8. Beaches in Mind - Awful
9. Strange World - I like this. A lot. However, it sounds like it could have come from TLOS where it would have improved the album considerably had it replaced any one of a number of songs
10. From There to Back Again - Best BB song since Sail on Sailor. A thing of wonder.
11. Pacific Coast Highway - Love this
12. Summer's Gone - Like this, but for me it's the weakest of the last four tracks
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2016, 10:06:59 PM »

Been listening to this again recently.

1. Think About the Days - wonderful
2. That's Why God Made the Radio - take or leave
3. Isn't it Time - mostly leave
4. Spring Vacation - Awful
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - weak
6. Shelter - take or leave
7. Daybreak - Don't like it. Not the Mike track I would have chosen to recycle...
8. Beaches in Mind - Awful
9. Strange World - I like this. A lot. However, it sounds like it could have come from TLOS where it would have improved the album considerably had it replaced any one of a number of songs
10. From There to Back Again - Best BB song since Sail on Sailor. A thing of wonder.
11. Pacific Coast Highway - Love this
12. Summer's Gone - Like this, but for me it's the weakest of the last four tracks
Not exactly a rave review.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2016, 02:43:20 AM »

It's not exactly a great album.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2016, 09:33:31 PM »

It's not exactly a great album.
Well, at least we won't have to hear these guys cranking out more albums like this.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2016, 05:57:14 AM »

TWGMTR has swansong written all over it. Releasing anything like a BB studio follow-up would be beyond silly. 

KDS
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2016, 06:42:38 AM »

TWGMTR has swansong written all over it. Releasing anything like a BB studio follow-up would be beyond silly. 

If you listen to it from start to finish, it almost plays out like a concept album about the C50.

The first few songs are "isn't it time to do it again," "summer weather, we're back together."

By the end of the album, Brian sings "I'm better on my own."  Then, Summer's Gone, and it's over. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »

If you listen to it from start to finish, it almost plays out like a concept album about the C50.

The first few songs are "isn't it time to do it again," "summer weather, we're back together."

By the end of the album, Brian sings "I'm better on my own."  Then, Summer's Gone, and it's over. 
What still seems weird to me is just how quickly it was over. Most band reunions start out with plans for maybe a summer tour, and that's all; and then they end up extending and extending until, before you know it, 2 years have gone by. This reunion was just a blur. Glad they left us a permanent record of the reunion.
KDS
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2016, 05:45:40 AM »

What still seems weird to me is just how quickly it was over. Most band reunions start out with plans for maybe a summer tour, and that's all; and then they end up extending and extending until, before you know it, 2 years have gone by. This reunion was just a blur. Glad they left us a permanent record of the reunion.

I kind of equate the 2012 reunion with the reunion of The Police from a few years ago.  Except with The Police, we didn't get a new studio album.  But we did get a really good live document. 

Of course, the main difference is that The Police only exist with Andy, Stewart, and Sting. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2016, 12:29:25 PM »

I kind of equate the 2012 reunion with the reunion of The Police from a few years ago.  Except with The Police, we didn't get a new studio album.  But we did get a really good live document. 

Of course, the main difference is that The Police only exist with Andy, Stewart, and Sting. 
I had forgotten all about that - another one that was done almost before it started. The difference there, though, is you don't have one of the members still touring as the Police, and another member touring under his own name, but doing shows of nothing but Police classics. Just seems so silly to me that Brian and Mike couldn't work out their differences, and continue the legacy together. But this seems to happen with almost every old band. I can go see Ray Davies do a show that is 99% the old Kinks songs he wrote and sang; I can see Dave Davies do a show that is half Kinks songs he wrote and sang, and half songs his brother wrote and sang; and if I lived in the UK, I could go see the Kast Off Kinks - former band members - doing their versions of the old songs.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »

What's silly about getting new songs with BBs vocs? We don't speak 70+ shows, to do it again they wouldn't agree. But they can get together in the studio, can't they? It's possible.

But they've said goodbye. In fine style too---who would have thought it?

It's all about bowing out gracefully, knowing when to stop. The Beatles knew when to stop; so did Captain Beefheart. It's not difficult.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2016, 06:43:45 PM »

^Your opinion. Why would they stop if they tour, write books etc.? They got energy, while they're alive they could get together for next album after TWGMTR. Would be very silly if they blew this chance.
Yes, it would be silly.  I mean, Brian goes on tour with Al and sings all the great old hits - Good Vibrations, Help Me Rhonda, I Get Around, Surfin' USA, Don't Worry Baby, California Girls; Mike tours with Bruce and does the same. They should be together. Life is short.
KDS
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2016, 05:11:12 AM »

^Your opinion. Why would they stop if they tour, write books etc.? They got energy, while they're alive they could get together for next album after TWGMTR. Would be very silly if they blew this chance.
Yes, it would be silly.  I mean, Brian goes on tour with Al and sings all the great old hits - Good Vibrations, Help Me Rhonda, I Get Around, Surfin' USA, Don't Worry Baby, California Girls; Mike tours with Bruce and does the same. They should be together. Life is short.

It would be great if they did get together, especially now that Blondie is back in the fold.  But, I'm not holding my breath.  When the books arrive in the fall, I think that would potentially be the final nail in the coffin for any hope of a full reunion of surviving members again. 

But, you never know.  If Motley Crue could get together after The Dirt came out, almost anything is possible. 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »

Okay, they've got energy. Good. The Beatles did great things individually after collectively calling it a day. Beefheart turned to his other love, painting. They had energy in abundance and the two survivors still have.

I'd say it would be silly of the Boys to blow this chance of saying, "The Beach Boys are no more. That's what TWGMTR is telling you, if only you'd listen."     

KDS
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

Okay, they've got energy. Good. The Beatles did great things individually after collectively calling it a day. Beefheart turned to his other love, painting. They had energy in abundance and the two survivors still have.

I'd say it would be silly of the Boys to blow this chance of saying, "The Beach Boys are no more. That's what TWGMTR is telling you, if only you'd listen."     

John,

I'm with you.  I think the closing suite of TWGMTR is somewhat like the closing suite on Abbey Road. 

I think if anyone wants an idea to what a follow-up to TWGMTR might sound like, they just need to listen to Brian's No Pier Pressure album. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx