gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:49:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate That's Why God Made The Radio
5 - 21 (16.5%)
4 - 70 (55.1%)
3 - 29 (22.8%)
2 - 7 (5.5%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 118

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That's Why God Made The Radio  (Read 70938 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

Put this on as my wife and 2 kids and I ran errands on Saturday. She was pretty amazed that my songs were singing along with me to all the songs. lol
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »

I took a while for me to grow into this album (especially because of the production style, which I still am not a huge fan of), but now I love it!  Wow, it's like a dream that the guys were able to get together after so long and make an album that is this good...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2012, 01:42:47 AM »

I can't believe this album has scored such an overwhelming average of 4. No way is it above 3 stars.

1. Think About The Days - 5/5 (beautiful, spine-tingling opening track, promises more than the subsequent album delivers)
2. That's Why God Made The Radio - 3/5 (it's ok, i suppose, but not great, certainly no classic, the fade had the opportunity to be really great but they don't pull it off)
3. Isn't It Time - 4/5 (by some considerable distance the best upbeat song on the album, a genuinely good pop song, far better than the dreadful single version)
4. Spring Vacation - 2/5 (nice melody, but ruined by awful auto-tune - this is supposed to be the soddin' Beach Boys for god's sake! - and Mike's horrendous lyrics)
5. The Private Life... - 2/5 (a mediocre melody and an even worse lyric, naff production, i do like the radio voice at the end however)
6. Shelter - 1/5 (sorry but i just really, strongly dislike this song, the melody is just... nothing, and i don't like Jeff's singing at all, nothing against him, i think he adds enormously to the live shows, i just don't like it here)
7. Daybreak - 1/5 (hideous production, boring song. He's got some great songs in the vaults - Viggie, Glow Crescent Glow - why this lame Bluebirds rewrite?)
8. Beaches In Mind - 1/5 (it's just crap)
9. Strange World - 3/5 (the album starts to get back on track here, this is a nice song, not a favourite but i'd never skip passed it, it improves with subsequent listens)
10. From There To Back Again - 4/5 (close to being a 5/5, this is a really great song, fantastic vocal by Al, great unpredictable ending, more like this would've been good)
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 4/5 (terrific, short but sweet, like something from Friends, Brian being bold and experimental, not feeling he has to work to some formula)
12. Summer's Gone - 5/5 (the album opens and closes with 5/5 loveliness, this really is a gorgeous track, oh for a whole album like this, this could've been your Pet Sounds 2 Brian! Sod that ungrateful cousin of yours. A brilliant song, arguably Brian's finest moment in decades).

Overall 3/5.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 01:44:47 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 02:14:59 AM »

I don't think I've ever tried rating each track by a number, but I feel so compelled in this instance.

1. Think About the Days - 5/5
2. That's Why God Made the Radio 4/5
3. Isn't it Time - 5/5
4. Spring Vacation - 5/5
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - 5/5
6. Shelter - 3/5
7. Daybreak - 4/5
8. Beaches in Mind - 4/5
9. Strange World - 4/5
10. From There to Back Again - 5/5
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 4/5
12. Summer's Gone - 5/5

scientifically, that comes out to 4.4 but I voted for 5 on the poll, because I really really like this album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2012, 06:23:32 PM »

Miracle album. It's 2012 and we have a new Brian Wilson produced Beach Boys album, and it's surprisingly good. I mean, who the heck would have thought that much possible. Obviously it's not going to top Pet Sounds or anything, but that's a pretty tall order and quite honestly how many albums by anyone have ever approached Pet Sounds greatness? No, this is a perfectly fine release when you consider exactly how awful it could be. This album, arguably has no business being anything like as good as it actually is.

There are some downright tasteless song writing choices in and among some real gems. That said.... we live in a world where people like Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj actually exist as real people selling music; so maybe it's fair to view the songs on this LP in that context? Yeah, obviously Beaches in Mind as well as Shelter, Daybreak Over The Ocean and The Private Life of Bill and Sue don't do this album any favours, despite having their moments and the harmonies being just as strong. But the fact is that the rest of the album is pretty damned good, especially the final three tunes.

That final suite... oh my god. I love it! Al sounds incredible on From There To Back Again, which is just brilliant with it's stop-start rhythms and lilting woodwinds. It's all so wonderfully Brian, and yet he gave the vocal to Al, which is brilliant (in keeping with the long history of brilliant leads Brian has given to Al). Pacific Coast Highway is a wonderful extension of what began in the previous track, fabulous use of rhyhtm and you really feel the emotion in the harmony with that final 'gooooodbyeeee...' Then we get the fantastic Summer's Gone, which could have leapt right out of Pet Sounds, with it's gentle tack piano and percussion building up to that amazing finale and ultimate sense of surrendering oneself to the tide of time, just brilliant. The way it fades out to that rain really cements the Pet Sounds connection for me, too, but it works well in it's own context and is totally justified.

This final segment alone is worth the price of admission. It's a miracle, in my opinion, having the 70 year old Beach Boys coming out with that! I'll take it, even if it means there are some very dubious moments elsewhere on the album. As a whole this LP is a very decent addition to the catalogue and I'm sure it will continue to be looked upon favourably into the future when you consider the other work the group has done since the 70s.

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »

Is Mike singing off key in the "Fun Fun Fun" part in Beaches In Mind? It sounds so weird.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »

I agree with SgtTimBob when he says this is a "miracle album". It is true that, because I'm fairly young, I didn't follow the band through the harsh years of drought and staining of their own image and legacy; Even so, I feel how amazing it is that we got a new album that is not embarrassing and it is actually quite good. After I first listened to Pet Sounds and the Greatest Hits, I took an almost cronological route through our beloved catalog, including Brian's solo albums. I guess that's the reason I value TWGMTR so much, since I wasn't able to connect to nor like the majority of the material the band and its leader put out after Love You. Combined with everything I already knew from the media, papers and so on (which provided the notorious relation between Beach Boys and cheesy in every level imaginable), it's hard to complain about the final result.

7 out of 12 tracks of the album are between good and excellent. That alone deserves a high praise. So much so that we get quickly spoiled and imagine a world where Daybreak and Spring Vacation don't exist. The latter is actually not THAT bad (certainly better than a lot of things that had come before), but the band could easily have done something different and better. Maybe, because it was their first new album in 20 years, they felt the need to reassure this kind of image to the possible new fans. Well, that's a theory, and I can forgive those slips.

The intro and the two singles are very decent. Being welcomed to a BB's album with a warm harmony and a sweet piano in the background is pleasant enough. The title song and Isn't It Time both have great vocal performances, though the latter is substantially better than the former: more dynamic, challenging and a better song overall. It stuck in my head immediately.

After that, the dip in the album is easily noticed, though indeed Spring Vacation isn't shameful. It is actually a half-decent upbeat song. Songs references don't sit well with me, however.

The Private Life and Shelter seem maybe a bit too corky and I'm still to get into these songs. Until now, they don't do anything for me, other than warn me that Daybreak is coming- I really dislike this song.

The final four is a treat. Strange World has caught my attention since the first listen, such a exciting and strong song. It starts to set higher standars for what was to come, in the final "life suite". Those final three songs are the ones that makes us (or me, at least) think that maybe with a little more hard work and better taste they could have done a real classic. Summer's Gone is nothing short than exquisite, really nice to see that kind of potential in Brian again.

A classic, after all, it is not. It is a Beach Boys album, which consequentely accounts for new theories, wishes, complaints, compliments and joy, in a flawed way. A well-deserved 4.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2013, 12:04:33 AM »

This album was a miracle. Better songs overall than the last real BB's album, the 1985 one....and I guess time will tell how they compare production wise, but honestly, I still find it hard to believe this album was made.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2013, 04:07:03 AM »

Last Great BB's album since "The Beach Boys".
The title track is great, the best Beach Boys single since "Getcha Back". Not a fan of the autotuning throughout the album, especially the title track, but I can live with it.
My favourite track is the closer, "Summer's Gone". Just brilliant, and if this is indeed the last Beach Boys studio album, then this ends the Beach Boys on a high note!
A must-get for any fan.
4 out of 5.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:49:20 PM by Little Bird, Right in a Tree... » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »

My first Beach boys album I ever heard completely from beginning to end, yes that's right.

Think About the Days: 4/5
What an awesome opener! And because of this little piece and Summer's gone's fade, this album can be listened over and over again (CD).
It just flows in perfectly.

TWGMTR: 3.5/5
Great song, but a bit too mediocre. I don't understand why they choosed this as the first single, that should've been Isn't it time instead.

Isn't it Time: 4/5
One of the best upbeat songs in years from anyone! I only wish Brian had little bit more parts, he sounds so great in the beginning of the song.

Spring Vacation: 3/5
Not as bad as some people claim. Corny lyrics maybe, but it's still a fun song. Fits perfectly to the context of the album.

TPLoB&S: 2.5/5
The weakest track, I like the music but the lyrics are out of place. Doesn't fit on this album at all. Vocals are great though, and the harmonies!
This is the Johnny Carson of TWGMTR.

Shelter: 3/5
I really do dig this song, but I just wish it had been recorded and produced in a very different way. Jeff sings well, but he just doesn't have
much "soul or heart" in his singing. Doesn't do anything for me. I wish someone else would've taken the lead. Like for example Bruce maybe?

Daybreak Over The Ocean: 3.5/5
People bash this pretty much only because it's the only Mike Love track. It's actually one of the best songs he has ever written, and a great love song.
I love the instrumental break with those spanish guitars, and the drum that kicks in at the fade. Great vocals too, except the last "because I lo-o-o-ve you"
is cheesy...

Beaches in Mind: 3/5
Pretty much same thing here as with the Spring vacation. It's actually really fun song and if it had a little faster tempo and more hard rockin' style,
it could've been a hit. But this version that we have, well it's not bad but it could have been million times better.

Strange World: 3.5/5
Really interesting and has a different sound than anything else the beach boys have ever recorded. But it doesn't really work much on its own, it's pretty good
introducction to the life suite though. I like the bell ring sound and again Brian's vocals.

From There to Back Again: 5/5
Perfect! Really moving from start to finish. These last three songs are as good as anything from Pet Sounds, Smile, or yeah anything.

Pacific Coast Highway: 5/5

Summer's Gone: 5/5
Maybe my favorite Beach boys song ever, just perfect. The last lines and the sound effects of rain and wind chimes are chilling. wow.

So I rate the album 4, it's not perfect but it's close to that. I have listened it at least 300 times, and it still sounds as great as it did the first time I
heard it. One of the best Beach boys albums ever, and I'm sure people will appreciate it even more after some time.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »

4/5 Excellent album.. I can do without Bill + Sue .. Beaches in Mind.. And im not to impressed with  Spring Vacation either.. These 3 sound weak to me.. But that leaves 9 other cuts of BB magic.. A fine record that re captures their glory and shows these old guys can still sing + rock..  Nothing to be embarrassed about  here.. Auto tune is a little annoying tho.. A minor miracle here in the grooves..!
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »

This simply sucks, don't like it at all. 
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »

This simply sucks, don't like it at all. 
Can you explain why it sucks?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2014, 03:49:58 AM »

Track by track?

1. Think About the Days - 5/5
2. That's Why God Made the Radio 3/5
3. Isn't it Time - 2/5
4. Spring Vacation - 1/5
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - 2/5
6. Shelter - 3/5
7. Daybreak - 2/5
8. Beaches in Mind - 1/5
9. Strange World - 4/5
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 5/5
12. Summer's Gone - 5/5
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »

On first listen I didn't like a lot of songs on the album. I've given a view more listens since then.
Tracks 1-3 are great 4-8 are average to good and 9-12 are AMAZING.

Think About The Days: 4/5 Nowhere as near as impressive as Our Prayer. I do like the chord progression. I wish they somehow made this and TWGMTR segue together.
That's Why God Made The Radio: 5/5 This is how to write a new Beach Boys song without sounding dated (I'm looking at you Beaches In Mind).
Isn't It Time: 5/5 Great song. I like the shared vocals.
Spring Vacation: 4/5 I dig this one.
The Private Life of Bill and Sue: 3/5 Strange lyrics and storyline. Has a very 'Brian' Feel to it. Not a favourite.
Shelter: 3/5 This is where I start to get bored. Nothing real spectacular.
Daybreak Over The Ocean: 3.5/5 I like this though nothing amazing.
Beaches In Mind: 2.5/5 Really Brian? I'd rather take Bruce's remake of She Believes In Love Again then this. Lyrics are just terrible.
Strange World: 5/5 This is where the album really starts to shine.  Brian sings great on this.
From There To Back Again: 5/5 Just beautiful.
Pacific Ocean Highway: 5/5 My favourite part of the Life suite.
Summer's Gone: 5/5 Amazing. If this is The Beach Boys' last album, they ended it right.

Calculator says 4.16666666666666666667 so 4 stars.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

On first listen I didn't like a lot of songs on the album. I've given a view more listens since then.

Think About The Days: 4/5 Nowhere as near as impressive as Our Prayer. I do like the chord progression. I wish they somehow made this and TWGMTR segue together.
That's Why God Made The Radio: 5/5 This is how to write a new Beach Boys song without sounding dated (I'm looking at you Beaches In Mind).
The Private Life of Bill and Sue: 3/5 Strange lyrics and storyline. Has a very 'Brian' Feel to it. Not a favourite.
Beaches In Mind: 2.5/5 Really Brian? I'd rather take Bruce's remake of She Believes In Love Again then this. Lyrics are just terrible.
Strange World: 5/5 This is where the album really starts to shine.  Brian sings great on this.
Summer's Gone: 5/5 Amazing. If this is The Beach Boys' last album, they ended it right.

I'm with you all the way on your rating of all of the tracks. I probably like Shelter a bit more than you do, but not enough to change the final score. A 4 from me, as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:01:16 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2014, 12:09:31 PM »

Strange World: 5/5 This is where the album really starts to shine.  Brian sings great on this.

I'm with you all the way on your rating of all of the tracks. I probably like Shelter a bit more than you do, but not enough to change the final score. A 4 from me, as well.
"Shelter" is rather boring... Tongue I skip it even more often than "Beaches In Mind" or "Spring Vacation".
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:13:44 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »

Strange World: 5/5 This is where the album really starts to shine.  Brian sings great on this.

"Shelter" is rather boring... Tongue I skip it even more often than "Beaches In Mind" or "Spring Vacation".
I really enjoy the chorus (or refrain) with Mike & Jeff. A very nice blend there and it is a very Brian type chord structure. I can find something to like on almost every song that Brian writes. That "something" that just pulls you in, that you can feel.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 10:20:35 AM »

5/5. TWGMTR is so far removed from anything else they've done that you simply can't compare it. (At least I can't.) For what it's worth, this is my verdict of June 2012, lifted from "my" other forum:

Bowing out gracefully. This is how I would describe That's Why God Made The Radio by the surviving Beach Boys. In response to comments made in earlier posts in this thread [of that other forum], I do feel that up-tempo tunes would have been inappropriate to what is clearly their swansong as a band. (The idea of a follow-up is patently absurd.)
There are plenty of joyous songs on board but the undercurrent is one of sadness and finality: "Summer's gone / It's finally sinking in." The Beach Boys are saying goodbye.
This is a CD I feel I could play at any time, in any company. There are tracks on the original albums that would throw the casual listener and I feel the compilations of hits sell the Boys short, musically. Which is why I've never played Beach Boys records when we've had visitors----until now.
Recorded if not written more than forty years since the original Beach Boys peaked, it's fascinating to hear the nods to musical styles that have emerged since then. I'm reminded too of recent things by Peter Lacey, himself heavily influenced by Brian's Boys. (It's hard to say who is being paid the bigger compliment.)
That's Why God Made The Radio has far surpassed my expectations. This is a band whose members had long gone their separate, often acrimonious ways. There can't be many who could pull off something as contrived as an anniversary album in such fine style.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2014, 06:06:01 AM »

I really love this album. I actually listen to it more than most other Beach Boys albums. Here's my review:

1. Think About the Days - 5/5 (the perfect album opener. It would probably have been even better if they had put it in front of the suite)
2. That's Why God Made the Radio 4/5 (fun song with great harmonies)
3. Isn't it Time - 3/5 (one of the more boring songs on the album, weird choice for a second single)
4. Spring Vacation - 3/5 (same as Isn't It Time)
5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - 3/5 (this song isn't bad, the melody is good, but it's much too long)
6. Shelter - 5/5 (I love this song, it's amazing)
7. Daybreak - 4/5 It's corny and schmaltzy, but it's one of Mike Love's best songs)
8. Beaches in Mind - 2/5 (the absolute low point of this album. It's actually the only song that' getting on my nerves)
9. Strange World - 5/5
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 5/5
12. Summer's Gone - 5/5 (the last four songs are wonderful and perfect)

KDS
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:38 AM »

What an unexpected gem of an album.  I gave it a five.  I was hesitant to buy the album at first.  I heard the Boys do the title track on Leno, and thought it was OK.  I saw them a few days later, and they did the title track and Isn't It Time, and I wasn't really blown away.  I should note that, in 2012, I wasn't the BB completist I am now.  Finally, in mid August, I broke down and bought TWGMTR.  I proceeded to listen to it every night for about a week straight. 

The album instantly grabs you with Think About the Days.  I didn't fully appreciate the title track until hearing this wordless vocal piece segue into it. 

Isn't It Time grew on me as well. 

Spring Vacation is probably the weak link on the album.  Especially when you listen to it after the end of the C50.

Private Life of Bill and Sue sounds like a Buffett song to me.  Maybe a distant cousin of South American.  I like it. 

Shelter is another nice track. 

OK, here we go.  Daybreak Over the Ocean.  I didn't like this song at all at first, but it's really grown on me over the years.   In 2015, I really like it. 

Beaches in Mind is, IMO, the best of the fun in the sun tracks on the album.  Do It Again Part Infinity. 

Then, the album goes into the another level completely with Strange World. 

And if the Beach Boys recording career ends with the Suite, what a great ending.

From There to Back Again is a thing of beauty - the highlight of the album.  Al and Brian both sound great.

Pacific Coast Highway takes a hint from the Friends album that not all songs need to be padded out.  Short, sad, but sweet.

Then, the saddest song ever (because I love summertime), Summer's Gone. 

The album ends on a bit of a sad note, but it's a beautiful sadness. 

I can't really say enough good things about this album. 
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »

After NRP, when I listen to Radio I hear too much Jeff. I had to delete IIT and replace it with the single version where he is kicked off the bridge.  I so wish they were all together on NPP--all their voices, minus Jeff--is the best thing in the universe.
KDS
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2015, 05:51:18 AM »

I agree it would be great to have all the voices on there. 

But the million dollar question is Are you willing to boot off a few of Brian's songs for three or four of Mike's fun/sun songs? 

Granted I do like what Mike brought to TWGMTR, but at this stage of the game, I think Brian and Mike are just too different. 

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2015, 09:07:17 PM »

ideally they would compose both fun and also poignant songs together. BIM was Brian's idea, and he was credited with spring vacation, words and music in part also?  Daybreak is the only song out of place because it has non-BB voices. . . .

I wish Mike would write lyrics like "Tell me why" and "whatever happened" but. . . . he has not.

I agree it would be great to have all the voices on there. 

But the million dollar question is Are you willing to boot off a few of Brian's songs for three or four of Mike's fun/sun songs? 

Granted I do like what Mike brought to TWGMTR, but at this stage of the game, I think Brian and Mike are just too different. 

KDS
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2015, 05:50:04 AM »

I do agree that the mix of deeper lyrics and sun/fun stuff is what makes TWGMTR such a good album. 

I was just curious on your opinion as many of this and the BW board would prefer to jettison the lighter material on the record. 

Personally, I think the mix of light and shade makes for a more diverse and satisfying listening experience. 

I love the NPP album, but if I had my choice right now, I'd that TWGMTR over it. 

And.....just my opinion.....I'll gladly take the chesse of Spring Vacation, Daybreak, or BIM over those EDM beats on Runaway Dancer. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx