gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:23:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Greatest Hits Volume Three: Best of the Brother Years 1970–1986

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest Hits Volume Three: Best of the Brother Years 1970–1986  (Read 9780 times)
Jason
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »

Discuss, review, and rate Greatest Hits Volume Three: Best of the Brother Years 1970–1986, released February 1, 2000.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 05:27:37 PM »

Out of the Greatest Hits trilogy from that time, this is by far the best one.
Still, there are minor complaints. Only 1 song from Love You, L.A. Light Album and Beach Boys 85. Not to mention only one song from KTSA. Then there's two songs from M.I.U. and 15 Big Ones. WTF?!
Also, there's not a single Dennis Wilson song, which is also a complaint.
Other than that, it's a great album to get, and as I said, the best one in the Greatest Hits Trilogy.
4.5 out of 5.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 01:48:23 PM »

I prefer the UK tracklisting. Maybe it's because I'm english, but it's nice to have the 7" HCTN

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »

5/5  A very good collection that needs to be 2 cds or a volume 4.. Lots of stuff missing just like 1+2 so for  us fanatics this is not enough.. But an excellent primer .. I love the Brother logo..  I wonder who picked that out..? Thumbs Up
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:22:08 AM »

Weird comp. Can't decide if it wants to be an album sampler, or singles only. Very heavy on the 70-73 material, should have had a few more 80's tracks (Still Cruisin', Somewhere Near Japan, Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue, It's Gettin' Late). I mean, I could compile an excellent cd using ONLY Sunflower/Surf's Up/Holland material...but that wasn't the point here.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »

Talk about a missed opportunity. Here's a much better tracklisting adding some songs that actually deserve to be in a compilation of "The Best"

Add Some Music
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
Forever
Long Promised Road
Feel Flows
Disney Girls
Surf's Up
Till I Die
Marcella
All This Is That
Sail On Sailor
The Trader
California Saga: California (album version)
Rock and Roll Music (single version)
It's OK
Just Once In My Life
The Night Was So Young
Let Us Go On This Way
Honkin Down The Highway
I'll Bet He's Nice
Come Go With Me
Lady Lynda
Good Timin'
Goin' On
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:53:31 PM by Gigantic Douche Coupe » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »

Talk about a missed opportunity. Here's a much better tracklisting adding some songs that actually deserve to be in a compilation of "The Best"

Add Some Music
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
Forever
Long Promised Road
Feel Flows
Disney Girls
Surf's Up
Till I Die
Marcella
All This Is That
Sail On Sailor
The Trader
California Saga: California (album version)
Rock and Roll Music (single version)
It's OK
Just Once In My Life
The Night Was So Young
Let Us Go On This Way
Honkin Down The Highway
I'll Bet He's Nice
Come Go With Me
Lady Lynda
Good Timin'
Goin' On

Just Once in My Life? Brian sounds horrible there, and I usually love Carl's vocals, but he is singing in too low a register there. I'm not a big fan of 15BO or Love You.
AaronReturn2005
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 02:42:38 AM »

California Dreaming still doesn't belong here, because it was recorded, and released on a Capitol compilation. Also, where's Lady Lynda?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 12:36:54 PM »

Love this CD! As mentioned there are things about the tracklist that you can find questionable, but I like it the way it is. You get the single versions of "California", "Rock'n'Roll music", "It's ok" and "Here comes the night". Even the imo lesser songs sound good on this comp ("Sumahama"). The artwork is probably the best on any Beach Boys release ever. It captures the full blown creativity of the early 70s, the nostalgia of the latter 70s, the spiritual connection of the Beach Boys as an american legend with the untouched environment of an ideal California.
The album is regularly in my CD player (yes, I still do use those things) and makes it seem like their 70s output was much more coherent than it actually was.

Weird comp. Can't decide if it wants to be an album sampler, or singles only. Very heavy on the 70-73 material, should have had a few more 80's tracks (Still Cruisin', Somewhere Near Japan, Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue, It's Gettin' Late). I mean, I could compile an excellent cd using ONLY Sunflower/Surf's Up/Holland material...but that wasn't the point here.

I'm not sure, but could it have something to do with the Brother Label? The 80s stuff mainly wasn't released via Brother, was it? I really don't know (or care much) about those things.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx