gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:18:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the dislike for having "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?" on the setlist?  (Read 2918 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »

Just saw a few posts here and there where people question this song's inclusion in the setlist. People were critisising that it was not a hit, not written by Brian and just another early song for ML to throw on his part of the bagage train (which one damn big train).

My opinion was that the audience are delighted to hear it live. very catchy, very very youthful molody and lyrics, nice opening bass by ML. If I had to cut out some stuff it would be a car song or wendy before this one (even if Jeff is the main man on the verses)

Looking alot forward to it when it shows up at my concert!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a seperate topic, I was just listening to the 2009 stereo remix of this one(yes that added intro is loooong), and boy is that a grand arrangement for that song. Just as radical as good old Sloopy of the John S.O.B.
Do people here overlook it alot or what? I have little knowledge of how the fan community views it. PLZ let me know!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »

Because it was originally a cover, the lead vocal is not done by an original Beach Boy in the concert. Hard core fans want more Brian material, or just more obscure material in general. I don't think there's much room to complain, honestly. Last night they did 48 songs(!).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »

My favorite parts of this song is Mike's "Duma, duma duma" bass intro and the wonderful way the harmonies end the song.  Aside from that...I could take it or leave it.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

Heck, with their huge catalog of original songs; you'd want to hear this over Wild Honey, California Sage, Friends.......................... Ugh!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »

There's better songs in their discog they could be covering.

No mas, por favor.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »

I think they should be allowed to do a few tunes that they like to perform. Also, when Brian released this with Fun Fun Fun, I think he wanted the 45 to be a double A-side. I believe there was a quote by Brian about the two songs fighting it out up the charts. So he felt very strongly about it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »

I think they should be allowed to do a few tunes that they like to perform. Also, when Brian released this with Fun Fun Fun, I think he wanted the 45 to be a double A-side. I believe there was a quote by Brian about the two songs fighting it out up the charts. So he felt very strongly about it.

Of course they should be allowed to perform what they'd like. I'm just saying. Out of everything they've covered over the years... I'd love them to hear something like Blueberry Hill or Crocodile Rock. Something out of left field.

No mas, por favor.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »

John Cowsill's drumming on Fools is outstanding and helps to make this such a great sounding song in concert.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »

John Cowsill's drumming on Fools is outstanding and helps to make this such a great sounding song in concert.

His drumming on everything has been topnotch. Very impressed by the guys from Mike's band. Those backup musicians seem like they're having a blast! Especially Nelson & Scott.

No mas, por favor.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:45:56 PM »

How outstanding is the production on that 2009 extended remix? Seriously, if someone had told me it had been recorded in the heart of the Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!) sessions, I wouldn't question them for a moment.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »

I cannot stand this song, original or the cover or any of the 20 variations on the cover version.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »

I think it is great on Shut Down Volume 2 and is still great. I like it in the show a lot.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »

What a great song. The Beach Boys treatment makes it their own, even though it's a cover. Just like Hushabye.

The Beach Boys own this song, and if THEY like it, then they deserve to do it. Go, Beach Boys....ignore alien detractors.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
SG7
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »

I had fun watching them play this song. It was really surreal to see Brian's band on it after seeing it with the M&B fraction.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »

For the hard-core fans - historically a very important song in the development of the BB. Of course, being hard-core, you'll know why. Grin

Frankly, much rather have this than "Barbara-fucking-Ann".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 01:39:14 AM »

For the hard-core fans - historically a very important song in the development of the BB. Of course, being hard-core, you'll know why. Grin

Frankly, much rather have this than "Barbara-f***ing-Ann".
"Barbara Ann" is fine for what it was, never bothered me except when boneheads keep shouting for it. Now "Kokomo" is the one I would be fine with never hearing again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 02:03:26 AM »

Agree. I loved their rendition of it from day 1 I had 'Spirit Of America'. It's the transition from a relatively simple intro and production to a fully-fledged Phil Spector-like feast, castagnets included.

Em, historically speaking, AGD... does that have to do something with the group of backing musicians on it?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 04:13:11 AM »

"Barbara Ann" is fine for what it was, never bothered me except when boneheads keep shouting for it. Now "Kokomo" is the one I would be fine with never hearing again.
Mike, it is rather amazing how popular Kokomo is in concert. At both shows that I attended this year, as well as all the shows I have attended since it was released, the fans love it and sing along through the whole song. Saturday night, I could barely hear Mike's lead due to the whole crowd singing along with him. I can understand why they have to include it, besides the fact that you don't cut one of only 4 #1 songs.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:15:26 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,