gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:33:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 199002 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: April 28, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »

The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice? - Live @ AVA Amphitheater - HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20tDLOkNP6g

Is it me or is Jeff dominating this vocal over Al--who I thought took lead here?

No, it's not just you.  Al sounds better than Jeff, so I'm not sure why Jeff is turned up louder than him.  I don't get the cult of Jeff in the Beach Boys camp, or at least the BW part of the Beach Boys camp.  Even if Jeff sounded better, why can't Al get the solo?  He's the original, senior Beach Boy.  His voice is still good enough that it doesn't need to be doubled.  The more I see of this tour, it looks like they totally rolled over to Brian and his people to make them happy.

in b4 some guy tells you "the original vocal is doubled, they're just trying to replicate it!" despite the fact that they never had two people singing the lead during concerts in the 60s and 70s at least and the fact that yes, Jeff absolutely overpowers Al, which is sad to hear. Jeff sounds especially bad (and really really loud, of course) during the tag. Like a dog barking or something.

Aside from just really disliking Jeff's voice in general, man - he's not even really able to do convincingly do the falsetto parts anymore.

Sorry to be so repetitive, but the problem persists and doesn't improve.
Isn't Jeff's dominating vocal more of a soundboard issue more than an issue with Jeff? These guys agreed on how these songs were to be arranged and performed. Also, we know this is only being done to bolster the aging lead vocalists.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 28, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »

The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice? - Live @ AVA Amphitheater - HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20tDLOkNP6g

Is it me or is Jeff dominating this vocal over Al--who I thought took lead here?

No, it's not just you.  Al sounds better than Jeff, so I'm not sure why Jeff is turned up louder than him.  I don't get the cult of Jeff in the Beach Boys camp, or at least the BW part of the Beach Boys camp.  Even if Jeff sounded better, why can't Al get the solo?  He's the original, senior Beach Boy.  His voice is still good enough that it doesn't need to be doubled.  The more I see of this tour, it looks like they totally rolled over to Brian and his people to make them happy.

in b4 some guy tells you "the original vocal is doubled, they're just trying to replicate it!" despite the fact that they never had two people singing the lead during concerts in the 60s and 70s at least and the fact that yes, Jeff absolutely overpowers Al, which is sad to hear. Jeff sounds especially bad (and really really loud, of course) during the tag. Like a dog barking or something.

Aside from just really disliking Jeff's voice in general, man - he's not even really able to do convincingly do the falsetto parts anymore.

Sorry to be so repetitive, but the problem persists and doesn't improve.
Isn't Jeff's dominating vocal more of a soundboard issue more than an issue with Jeff? These guys agreed on how these songs were to be arranged and performed. Also, we know this is only being done to bolster the aging lead vocalists.

Al sounds great.  He does not have the "aging vpcalist" sound that Brian or Mike have, his voice is still strong.  You can find clips of him on YouTube of recent appearances at his record release show and also at a record store in Long Beach.  His voice sounds better than Jeff.  It might be a mix thing that Jeff is dominating, but he really doesn't need to be there at all.  Or they might as well give Jeff the vocal to himself. Maybe they decided Al is only allowed to have two solo vocals, and "Cottonfields" and "Then I Kiised Her" are enough.  No one doubles his "aging" voice on those.  As for "these guys agreed," I'd have to think Brian and his camp have first word, Mike Love has second, and Al has little or no pull at all.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 28, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »

Agreed that Al's voice is in the best shape, but he stopped singing WIBN back in the early 90's. Carl was singing the lead after that. Even with his own band, Matt always takes the lead. So, it does not surprise me that Jeff is bolstering Al's lead vocal. Do you really think they would do it if they didn't think it was needed? Give the guys some credit, here. I think they talked this all out while rehearsing for the tour, don't you think? Heaven forbid that they should do something that we don't agree with, because of course we know better than the actual players involved.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 28, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »

i know i'm a bit late to the party, but if anyone wants to send me a PM for no particular reason then they should feel very welcome to.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 29, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »

i hear Al just fine here. I am always on the lookout for excess Jeff, but here I have no problem.
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 29, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »

There's a guy on setlist.fm who seems adamant that Wild Honey and Darlin' were performed and keeps changing the setlist to reflect that, they weren't performed right?

No, they were not.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »

There's a guy on setlist.fm who seems adamant that Wild Honey and Darlin' were performed and keeps changing the setlist to reflect that, they weren't performed right?

No, they were not.
Knew it, either the guy's trolling or his memory's playing tricks on him. Many thanks.
Kamandi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

Agreed that Al's voice is in the best shape, but he stopped singing WIBN back in the early 90's. Carl was singing the lead after that. Even with his own band, Matt always takes the lead. So, it does not surprise me that Jeff is bolstering Al's lead vocal. Do you really think they would do it if they didn't think it was needed? Give the guys some credit, here. I think they talked this all out while rehearsing for the tour, don't you think? Heaven forbid that they should do something that we don't agree with, because of course we know better than the actual players involved.

This post will probably never be seen, but add another to the list of someone who actually attended the show who will assert that no overt vocal correction hijinx occurred. Also would add that during the sound check I didnt think Brian sounded awful as others have said, but really tired and disinterested. He seemed to want to get it over with and would interject at times to skip a song "we dont need to do Rhonda"  and insisted on ending after Do You Wanna Dance. After Dave rehearsed DoDance, his only lead, Brian immediately said "We're done" and got up and walked off the stage with the other BBs following. Scott Toten (not sure how it is spelled) was definitely running things. He did the most talking and stage directing to Al's growing annoyance. During Sail on Sailor Toten told the band to sing "Wail on, wail on" and Al snapped "only the lead says wail on, the backing vocals are sail on". They would make comments like that through the soundcheck. The only time I saw Brian engaged was when he watched this attractive woman walked through the seats. I took a photo of him at this time and his expression show no emotions, his eyes were wide with interest. I think the meds take their toll on him.

So it was a huge shock to see Bruce, Mike and Brian walk down for the meet and greet, which was exactly the cattle call described by others. It was heartbreaking to see Brian walking with a really bad limp and he seemed in pain. Three stools were set out for them to sit on and Brian asked for a regular chair. The line was in place for the photos and the first in line was a couple who tried to meet and greet by chatting up the guys. They were quickly cut off by BRIAN, who said something like "Lets take a picture!" or "We're taking a picture!", then with that, the pair were told to pose. Brian and Mike smiled then went back to serious mode. Bruce never stopped smiling. The cows in line were then herded through quickly, a flash and you were out. All 3 of them noticeably perked up for this young couple ahead in line , the female of the pair evidently dragged along but very good looking. The lady of the older couple right in front of me got Mike's attention by saying "Oh my gosh, your shirts!" to which  Mike replied "Well we dont get lost". Mike was no longer wearing that shirt at showtime. My calm demeanor was immediately lost when Bruce looked at me and with his big smile and energetic voice said "Hey nice to see you, thanks for coming!". I said "its great to meet you all" and Bruce with the same enthusiasm says "Its great to meet you!" as I lined behind them, my left hand on Mike, right on Bruce and brother Brian in the middle below me. I always vowed if I ever met any of the guys I would let them know how much their music has meant to me and how much I appreciate them. Of course I try and say it in the short seconds before the camera goes off, and didnt get much out other than I was really happy to be able to see their show. I have no memory of looking at the camera, im sure I was looking down, but I also have no memory of the top of Brian's head. I said "hi Mike" and left. If you ever saw the American Band documentary they recycle some old footage from Brian's birthday during the 15 big ones time period. There is a somewhat odd image of Mike giving this "look" to the camera while he is eating cake. I got that "look", sans cake.

So much more to say but since this post will probably never be read, I will just add one more thing that took place during the actual concert. During Do You Wanna Dance, which was towards the end of the show, Brian took over the lead with gusto. It was unprompted, unscripted, unautotuned etc and it through EVERYONE off. Brian starts wailing on the lead once Dave was about open his mouth, Dave starts to sing, steps back, Toten is flipping out, Jeff stares at Al, Bruce stares at Mike, Dave looks bummed, and everyone stared at Brian. Bruce is waving Dave back to the mike and sad to say Brian is muted really low and Dave sings but the moment is gone. I can see Brian still singing but now he is almost inaudible. It would have been cool if the sound guy would have rolled with it and just let Brian and Dave double it but it ended up being messed up. After the song ends Bruce goes "GREAT JOB, Brian...Dave".
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 13, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »

Nice review Kamandi...I hope you go to more shows so you can provide more reviews.  I like the more in-depth reviews. 

I'm not surprised by horns being tangled between Totten and Jardine...they seem like strong personalities.  I hope they can keep it in check...but since it's been a few weeks since this first show...I assume all is well behind the scenes.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 12, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »

during the sound check I didnt think Brian sounded awful as others have said, but really tired and disinterested.

Don't know about tired and disinterested, but this singing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qwImoMWrf4

... meets my definition of awful. 

However, perhaps the missed lines are due to disinterest. Luckily, Brian didn't sound anything like that during the show. Maybe the autotune actually helped that night??

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #910 on: June 19, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »

Hi and thanks for the review !

So much more to say but since this post will probably never be read, I will just add one more thing that took place during the actual concert. During Do You Wanna Dance, which was towards the end of the show, Brian took over the lead with gusto. It was unprompted, unscripted, unautotuned etc and it through EVERYONE off. Brian starts wailing on the lead once Dave was about open his mouth, Dave starts to sing, steps back, Toten is flipping out, Jeff stares at Al, Bruce stares at Mike, Dave looks bummed, and everyone stared at Brian. Bruce is waving Dave back to the mike and sad to say Brian is muted really low and Dave sings but the moment is gone. I can see Brian still singing but now he is almost inaudible. It would have been cool if the sound guy would have rolled with it and just let Brian and Dave double it but it ended up being messed up. After the song ends Bruce goes "GREAT JOB, Brian...Dave".

Now that I call a Brian moment.....  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 19, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »

during the sound check I didnt think Brian sounded awful as others have said, but really tired and disinterested.

Don't know about tired and disinterested, but this singing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qwImoMWrf4

... meets my definition of awful. 

However, perhaps the missed lines are due to disinterest. Luckily, Brian didn't sound anything like that during the show. Maybe the autotune actually helped that night??

I hate to bring it up, but that sounds so autotuned.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx