gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 10:49:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should They Call It A Day After This Tour?  (Read 12600 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:18:44 AM »

My answer? Yes!

BB history tells us that they will almost certainly blow it, so let's just end it on a high, right? The TWGMTR closing suite is a perfect career finale - I mean, Summer's Gone: what a perfect final song. The tour has been a success. All this alongside the success of the SMiLE Sessions means their critical standing has almost never been higher. So it'd be great if, for once, they didn't f*** it up and did the right thing and ended on a positive note, because if history tells us anything it's that given a good situation the Beach Boys will always - always - screw it up somehow.

Anyone agree? Or do you disagree?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »

Completely agree.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:31:23 AM »

The contract with Capitol calls for two more albums. Deal with it.  Cheesy  3D  Wink

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »

My answer? Yes!

BB history tells us that they will almost certainly blow it, so let's just end it on a high, right? The TWGMTR closing suite is a perfect career finale - I mean, Summer's Gone: what a perfect final song. The tour has been a success. All this alongside the success of the SMiLE Sessions means their critical standing has almost never been higher. So it'd be great if, for once, they didn't f*** it up and did the right thing and ended on a positive note, because if history tells us anything it's that given a good situation the Beach Boys will always - always - screw it up somehow.

Anyone agree? Or do you disagree?

I can see your point which is all I can really say at this time.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 12:54:30 AM »

The contract with Capitol calls for two more albums. Deal with it.  Cheesy  3D  Wink

Live album and compilation. Or comp and box set.

The deal is actually with the back catalog division.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 12:57:09 AM »

Depends on what you mean by 'calling it a day.' In fact, I'm not sure that they even know.

Tourwise? You probably won't see Brian on another large scale (30-40 city) tour. Does Mike and Bruce carrying on constitute a continuance? What if either Al or David decide to stick around for those tours? It's a fluid thing.

Regarding the studio, I would like them to bow out on this one. The planets were aligned just so, and there's no way that any future release of new material will garner the kind of media push we've seen benefit TWGMTR. And regarding the Cap deal - it's three records, which don't necessarily mean new studio stuff.

I would personally like to convolute things even further; have Brian finally record his freakin' rock n roll album as a solo - but have Mike and Al guest on it. Why not? Maintain the status quo of the three camps and go forward from there.

Those post tour board meetings are gonna be real interesting.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 12:58:40 AM »

The final sounds at the end of "Summer's Gone" is a fitting coda to the catalog.  And to avoid the risk of them taking a huge misstep in the future, I will gladly accept it as their farewell. 
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 01:05:46 AM »

Summer's Gone......

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 01:26:07 AM »

Joe Thomas hints it might not be the last album. They have more songs. Plus Brian has his rock album and he hints he wants another BB album that rocks more. Pleasure Island is up Mike's alley because he likes beaches and islands.  I don't think they stop when the new album went Top 5. I also think Brian might tour with them again but not as much.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:24 AM »

I would hate to see the Beach Boys shy away from further recording or touring for fear of damaging their legacy and the "perfect" end. This whole reunion has been wonderful. If they enjoy working together and being together then that's all that matters, and I would lap up any further recordings or tours in the future.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 01:37:54 AM »

I'm going to say no, I dont'think so, though I would hate to see them blow it. I would love to see more music from them though. Brian Wilson solo is great; Brian Wilson with the Beach Boys is much better, though.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 03:19:20 AM »

Joe Thomas hints it might not be the last album. They have more songs. Plus Brian has his rock album and he hints he wants another BB album that rocks more. Pleasure Island is up Mike's alley because he likes beaches and islands.  I don't think they stop when the new album went Top 5. I also think Brian might tour with them again but not as much.

i suspect he got the guys back into doing another Shortenin Bread and that we might hear it one day soon o.O
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 04:24:08 AM »

Whatever happens thank f*ck Summer In Paradise isn't the last proper BB album!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 05:41:21 AM »

My only real hope for after this tour winds down is that they don't split into camps again with Mike/Bruce as the Beach Boys.

It would be ok with me if Brian stays home and works on new Beach Boys material while Mike, Bruce, Al and Dave tour as the Beach Boys...that's kinda 1965 right there.

Really, Mike/Bruce touring with the name after this will be a HUGE letdown and a pretty low point, IMO

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 05:44:54 AM »

Would really like to see them go out on a high note; there could be none higher than what they've miraculasly accomplished this year. Past history says if they try to do a follow up, it will blow up. So......go out on the highest of high notes!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »

The more we get away from Summer In Paradise, the better it is.

So please, release more albums guys! (but if possible, without dumb songs.. can we get more stuff like TLOS plz? kthxbb)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 06:08:14 AM »

It's simple! No more Myke Luhv embarrassing, corn fed lyrics ever again. Problem solved. Cool
Nicko1234
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 07:36:03 AM »

Realistically, I don`t see how The Beach Boys could end after this tour. Mike and Bruce need the name in order to tour and I don`t see them retiring in a hurry. Hopefully Al and David would stick around but as long as Scott Totten is musical director they should do justice to the music regardless.

Making another studio album, as long as someone like Joe Thomas is there essentially in charge, shouldn`t be disastrous either. TWGMTR isn`t exactly a masterpiece and making an album of similar quality shouldn`t be beyond them if they choose to.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »

We still have seven songs from the "Life Suite" we need to hear, so no, I hope they don't call it quits.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 08:13:07 AM »

Part of me thinks this is a perfect ending for the Beach Boys, what with their well-known tendency to screw up their career after a career highlight. Just do solo albums if they feel like it and guest on each others records.

Another part of me wants at least one more new Beach Boys album though, especially if they record it this year and early next year for release next summer. Get the rest of that suite done and do any other good new or 'new to us' material before it's too late, as it were.

As regards touring, unless Brian has a major new project a la Smile/ TLOS to perform, I don't think the world needs much more BW solo touring. He could spend the rest of his time chilling and writing and recording when he wants to.

But then, lightning doesn't often strike in the same place twice and Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone are just the perfect last songs on the last Beach Boys album ... Maybe do one more Brian solo album and have Al guest on it, get the suite etc done that way  Cheesy .
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 08:14:29 AM »

Sorry, I want more.

If they eventually screw things up, history will wash away the tears, heal the wounds and give their music its dues.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 08:23:13 AM »

I want more too!

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 08:28:46 AM »

If Brian wants to make another Beach Boys album, bring it on.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »

Realistically, I don`t see how The Beach Boys could end after this tour. Mike and Bruce need the name in order to tour and I don`t see them retiring in a hurry. Hopefully Al and David would stick around but as long as Scott Totten is musical director they should do justice to the music regardless.

Making another studio album, as long as someone like Joe Thomas is there essentially in charge, shouldn`t be disastrous either. TWGMTR isn`t exactly a masterpiece and making an album of similar quality shouldn`t be beyond them if they choose to.

Do you think that the members that have been in Brian Wilson's band would continue to tour under these circumstances? Or would it be the smaller sized band that toured with Mike and Bruce?
Jason
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »

I figure that if all of them are willing and want to keep it going, why not? Sure, in an ideal world, they'd call it quits after this since there's nothing more to accomplish, but in an ideal world, Smile would have been finished in 1967. Life gets in the way sometimes. Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx