gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:26:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are The Band going to countine after this tour ends?  (Read 17233 times)
EthanJClarke93
« on: June 15, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »

I've been wondering 'cause i read somewhere Brian was interested in doing another tour with BB, And so i'm wondering are they going to plan another tour??
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 04:16:22 PM »

I'm hearing that the Mike & Bruce band are booking South American dates for once the reunion tour wraps.
No confirmation on that, just info passed on from a reliable source.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »

I'm hearing that the Mike & Bruce band are booking South American dates for once the reunion tour wraps.
No confirmation on that, just info passed on from a reliable source.

It seems kind of sad but inevitable. The only thing that made me think maybe Mike and Bruce wouldn't just go right back out again was that their tour would just situationally seem to lose some credibility. It was one thing for Mike and Bruce in recent years to go out only having to acknowledge that once, many many years ago, a fuller BB band with Brian had toured. But if they go back out, it'll be more like "dude, like a few months ago you were five, and now you're two again?"

I still wonder if Mike makes more money on his own "BB" tours compared to the overhead cost and having to presumably split more of the money on this tour. Yes, they are probably selling more tickets and have a higher ticket price on this tour, but I wonder if that offsets the increased costs and profit sharing.

Seems the whole organization currently has been purposely silent about what happens after this tour. I think only Bruce directly referenced this before the tour even started, implying this was a one-time thing that wouldn't happen after August.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:28:47 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:37:50 PM »

As much as I am a fan of Brian's solo work, after seeing them live, I no longer want to see the BB apart from each other. Period. They may be 'good' apart, but I'm spoiled now. Together is where the magic is.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »

As much as I am a fan of Brian's solo work, after seeing them live, I no longer want to see the BB apart from each other. Period. They may be 'good' apart, but I'm spoiled now. Together is where the magic is.

No kidding!

I do wonder what Mike will think of the band once it shrinks down to his old group...he won't have that large sound behind him doing what Brian's band did for them on this tour.  But knowing Mike...a gig's a gig and a check is a check.  He'll probably miss it but he moves forward.  But would Mike actually say "no" to the group continuing on as the whole group?  Would he care about the money too much to deny the memberes who would want to continue?  Ultimately, Brian's the nucleus here.  If he stays...Al will probably stay and so on.  It seems like whether everyone doesn't want to admit it or not--Brian's actions determine what happens in the future.  I see him wanting to take a substantial break after this and I can see Mike will want to keep on touring.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »

And if Mike and Bruce go back out on the Hayrides, what'll happen if the Fab Five get back together again for another string of dates?

"hey general public, Y'know how we reunited in 2012 despite the fact that the Beach Boys hadn't ever stopped touring? And then we split up and went our separate ways but the Beach Boys kept right on touring? Well we're reuniting again even though we never stopped touring... At least, until we all go our separate ways again, at which point we'll just carry right on touring...!"

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »

Things I'm sure of:

-- Mike will never leave the road.

-- Brian will not take on the full BB touring load.

-- The record is successful enough to mean more recording.

Therefore, I theorize:

-- They will make another album (or two) with Brian.

-- Mike will keep touring.

-- Brian will not. But he may well be up for mini tours every year or two.

-- I kinda hope that Al and Dave keep working with Mike, and that the larger backing ensemble continues. But we can't really know for sure whether that happens.

-- They're still figuring it out. Sure, Mike probably has to have a near-term plan for the rest of the year. But I'd bet all the parties are looking at 2013 and 2014 in a really different way now.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »

And if Mike and Bruce go back out on the Hayrides, what'll happen if the Fab Five get back together again for another string of dates?

"hey general public, Y'know how we reunited in 2012 despite the fact that the Beach Boys hadn't ever stopped touring? And then we split up and went our separate ways but the Beach Boys kept right on touring? Well we're reuniting again even though we never stopped touring... At least, until we all go our separate ways again, at which point we'll just carry right on touring...!"

Mike doesn't have to say anything. He can let the music do the talking, which he has been doing for many, many years now, without Brian, without Dennis, without Carl, and without David.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »

I'm okay with it if Brian doesn't tour fulltime. I just want there to be more albums, and for Al and David to stay. I'm okay with Jeff staying, as I like his voice better with this blend, personally. Might as well make him a full band member; he certainly has been there long enough.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »

I don't like being a naysayer. I truly do get all the touchy-feely reunion fuzziness feeling like everybody. I think it's amazing, and I hope it continues.

But I also don't for a second think Mike isn't capable and willing to scale back and go back to what he was doing. He did in 1998. They lost Carl, then Al quickly after, then Matt Jardine, and before the end of the year, the band was barely recognizeable compared to what it was less than 12 months earlier. By the middle of the following year, Marks was gone too.

It's all about the band's name, and the ability to lobby to get use of that name. The only thing that will stop Mike from continuing on with whatever version of the BB's he wants is if both Brian and Al don't allow it. If even just Brian goes back to what he has done up to this point, of agreeing to Mike having the license to do his own thing, then nothing would prevent the 2013 "Beach Boys" to be just like the 2011 "Beach Boys" and nothing like the 2012 "Beach Boys."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:29:04 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »

Hey Jude: "It's all about the band's name, and the ability to lobby to get use of that name. The only thing that will stop Mike from continuing on with whatever version of the BB's he wants is if both Brian and Al don't allow it. If even just Brian goes back to what he was done up to this point, of agreeing to Mike having the license to do his own thing, then nothing would prevent the 2013 "Beach Boys" to be just like the 2011 "Beach Boys" and nothing like the 2012 "Beach Boys."

A compromise would be to allow Mike to keep the franchise and use the name calling his act "Mike Love's Beach Boys" so that people know the difference when Brian wants to record or tour.  Bruce and David wouldn't mind, as long as there is work for them.  Al has a bit more of an ego -- I don't think he'd be up for touring under that moniker.  But he doesn't want to tour 170 days a year, anyway, and the reunion has given him new visibility -- the Endless Summer Band would be a bigger draw, post-2012.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:33:56 PM by OGoldin » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »

Both Brian and Al get checks from BRI whether they're touring or not, correct?  I can't see them objecting to Mike playing over 100 dates a year if he wants to and collecting a share of the pot.  I'm not sure Al is that interested in that much touring either. He's brought up going out as a full Beach Boys reunion every other year, not every year.  He can still gig around sometimes with his sons if he wants to play, but I can't see him wanting to leave his ranch to play a bunch of gigs in South America.  Unless he really wants to see South America.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »

Both Brian and Al get checks from BRI whether they're touring or not, correct?  I can't see them objecting to Mike playing over 100 dates a year if he wants to and collecting a share of the pot.  I'm not sure Al is that interested in that much touring either. He's brought up going out as a full Beach Boys reunion every other year, not every year.  He can still gig around sometimes with his sons if he wants to play, but I can't see him wanting to leave his ranch to play a bunch of gigs in South America.  Unless he really wants to see South America.

Yes, all of the members of BRI get a cut of Mike's BB tours. But Brian and Al (and Carl's estate, and Mike for that matter) only split the licensing fee (which is, as the industry goes, usually something like a flat fee in addition to or against a percentage of the tour proceeds). In other words, Mike still makes much more money touring as the BB's than the cut that the other three parties get. Which in the most basic way makes sense, as he's the one of those four parties going out and actually performing.

Given Al making that appearance in early 2011 with Mike's "Beach Boys", I would guess that for better or worse, Al would probably re-joing Mike's band at this stage if they wanted him to.

This is why I continue to wonder whether Mike actually made more money touring without the other guys in 2011 for instance.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »

A compromise would be to allow Mike to keep the franchise and use the name calling his act "Mike Love's Beach Boys" so that people know the difference when Brian wants to record or tour.  Bruce and David wouldn't mind, as long as there is work for them.  Al has a bit more of an ego -- I don't think he'd be up for touring under that moniker.  But he doesn't want to tour 170 days a year, anyway, and the reunion has given him new visibility -- the Endless Summer Band would be a bigger draw, post-2012.

Interesting ideas, and I know that was something I wish Mike would have done with his band over a decade ago. But I don't see it happening. If they were into correctly labeling the band and doing a "truth in advertising" sort of thing, they would have done it long ago. The name with appended words doesn't work to anybody's liking. Mike, Bruce, and David toured in 1998 as "America's Band" and that didn't work. Al did the "Beach Boys Family and Friends" thing and nobody but Al liked that.

As I mentioned before, the only thing that I would think would give Mike pause to go back to his solo "Beach Boys" would be the public sort of re-evaluating his use of the band's name in light of all five having been part of it in 2012.

But the masses proved in 1998 (and numerous other times in other ways) that any band on stage using the name and I suppose with a few dudes in Hawaiian shirts is all it takes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:51:20 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »

Both Brian and Al get checks from BRI whether they're touring or not, correct?  I can't see them objecting to Mike playing over 100 dates a year if he wants to and collecting a share of the pot.  I'm not sure Al is that interested in that much touring either. He's brought up going out as a full Beach Boys reunion every other year, not every year.  He can still gig around sometimes with his sons if he wants to play, but I can't see him wanting to leave his ranch to play a bunch of gigs in South America.  Unless he really wants to see South America.

Yes, all of the members of BRI get a cut of Mike's BB tours. But Brian and Al (and Carl's estate, and Mike for that matter) only split the licensing fee (which is, as the industry goes, usually something like a flat fee in addition to or against a percentage of the tour proceeds). In other words, Mike still makes much more money touring as the BB's than the cut that the other three parties get. Which in the most basic way makes sense, as he's the one of those four parties going out and actually performing.

Given Al making that appearance in early 2011 with Mike's "Beach Boys", I would guess that for better or worse, Al would probably re-joing Mike's band at this stage if they wanted him to.

This is why I continue to wonder whether Mike actually made more money touring without the other guys in 2011 for instance.

Given the potential flat-fee nature of the license, I'd say that's a possibility.

On the other hand, they're playing some big venues. And you have the added things like the VIP packages. And the added shows. I'd bet that Mike is coming out ahead of where he might be otherwise, but perhaps not as much as one might expect.

What's most important, though, is that this solidifies the brand. There's a new record. There's some artistic credibility. There's lots of press. Even if Mike is making less this go round, all of those added things will enrich his future endeavors with the band.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:59:44 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »

You know what would be the best case scenario, and I know it won't happen, for reasons that we are all aware of, but...

Let's assume (for sake of discussion) that, after this reunion tour, Brian will be working on the next Beach Boys' album and won't be touring. What would he tour and why would he tour? So, all they have to do is remove Brian's piano from the stage, and keep everything else in tact - including the band members. If Brian isn't touring, his band members can stay in "The Beach Boys", and Mike will just have to explain things to his son and his band.

Then, when it's time to record the next Beach Boys' album, haul them all into the studio. How 'bout that?

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 05:59:32 PM »

Mike is a road warrior and will tour until he can't tour no more.  With that said, I can see the guy give the band a big group hug and then a heartfelt "Until next time fellas...  But for now...Bruce, let's go..we got a plane to catch to South America.  See ya guys."  While a whole lot of opportunities are surely opening up for Mike right now nothing can stop him from moving forward and I don't see him waiting around for any amount of time to wait out what Brian or Al or whomever wants to do in the future.  "When you figure it out, just give us a call..we'll be on the road. "
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:02:40 PM by Justin » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »

I'd like to see Mike, Al, Bruce and David continue on for a few more years as a touring unit.

This'll earn me a chorus of boo's but I wouldn't be shocked if Brian retired from touring completely after this.

Let's face it, we may love these guys but they're really getting up there. I don't know how many more years touring will even be something they're capable of.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 06:08:15 PM »

I'd like to see Mike, Al, Bruce and David continue on for a few more years as a touring unit.

This'll earn me a chorus of boo's but I wouldn't be shocked if Brian retired from touring completely after this.

Let's face it, we may love these guys but they're really getting up there. I don't know how many more years touring will even be something they're capable of.

I don't know man. Al seems to be in GREAT shape. (Speaking of, has he ever spoken out about his diet / exercise? ) Bruce has a ton of energy. Mike also seems to be a very good health. B Dub is the only one I'm worried about. I guess the back issues really took a toll on him. The whole eyes half closed thing has me concerned. The first time I remember seeing that was during the interview for... was it the Gershwin album, where his manager kept telling him to keep his eyes open? Wonder what that's about...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

Mike is a road warrior and will tour until he can't tour no more.  With that said, I can see the guy give the band a big group hug and then a heartfelt "Until next time fellas...  But for now...Bruce, let's go..we got a plane to catch to South America.  See ya guys."  While a whole lot of opportunities are surely opening up for Mike right now nothing can stop him from moving forward and I don't see him waiting around for any amount of time to wait out what Brian or Al or whomever wants to do in the future.  "When you figure it out, give us a call..we'll be on the road. "

Exactly. There is a short-term plan and a long-term one.

The short-term seems to be to finish up the tour (which now extends about a month longer than planned). Then we'll see the commemorative releases in the fall, and possibly the live album / DVD / whatever.

Mike and Bruce will probably tour on their own during the fall / winter / spring. Brian will need a long break. It's easiest and most convenient to go back to the status quo, although it would be great to have Al and / or Dave keep trucking with the band.

But I'd bet that everyone behind the scenes is thinking seriously about summer 2013, and about 2014. What would be needed to create a new album? How would another big tour go? What do Brian and the other principals want to do? These are all things that need to be thought through seriously. There are pluses and minuses to all of them.

Frankly, I don't think anyone knows. I think there are hopes. But there are real challenges. Without the 50th anniversary theme, would the band draw such big audiences? While TWGMTR is good, any follow-up album would have to be outstanding to justify another Brian returns tour. And do Brian's guys want to actually become the backing band for the Beach Boys?

There are a lot of possibilities. But the quality of the album and the shows surely suggests that this isn't the last we'll see of this lineup.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:13:54 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »

Tony Bennett is still going in his 80s. So is BB King (overweight and with diabetes to boot). Brian's mom lived to be 80. I think he could be persuaded to do more dates. But I don't think he'll do something of this size again (and he really only toured this heavily once in his solo career -- the 2004-2005 Smile shows).
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »

?? What does The Band has to do with The Beach Boys ?
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »

I think Mike and Bruce will continue to tour and Brian will take a break or retire from it. It seems Al would be one who would really like to keep going. I have a feeling Mike might not invite him to join them afterwards (based on just a feeling). Who would lose the most? Brian can tour as a solo artist, as can Dave and  (but to a lesser extent in financial terms).

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »

Let's assume (for sake of discussion) that, after this reunion tour, Brian will be working on the next Beach Boys' album and won't be touring. What would he tour and why would he tour? So, all they have to do is remove Brian's piano from the stage, and keep everything else in tact - including the band members. If Brian isn't touring, his band members can stay in "The Beach Boys", and Mike will just have to explain things to his son and his band.

Then, when it's time to record the next Beach Boys' album, haul them all into the studio. How 'bout that?

That's what I want.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »

It's interesting that a certain well respected scholar of all things Beach Boys hasn't been to this thread. At least not yet.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx