gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 08:38:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Surpass the Beatles for Billboard 200 Record  (Read 8601 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »

wooo, what a year..

Also, Sounds of Summer certified triple platinum today  Grin

The Boys have albums on the billboard 200 this week

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/beach-boys-beatles-billboard-337926

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »

Sounds Of Summer moving up to #136...impressing for a comp that has been around for many years!...just ahead of Alan Jackson's older album at #137!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:08:23 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

Good for them. f*** the Beatles.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »

Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »

Smiley

+1

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »

Good for them. foder the Beatles.

Brow

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:14:33 AM »

And yet again, a fine example of "Beatle envy," as I like to call it...of course, what's not taken into account is that part of the reason the Beatles have a longer chart span is that here in the USA they weren't around as long, not even catching the public's attention until December 1963. I wonder if the same will hold true when Giles Martin's secret Beatles project comes out...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 05:40:15 AM »

I think it's understandable for someone to be tired of hearing about the beatles.  "beatle envy" aside. 
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »

This is great news, regardless of what you think about the Beatles.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 05:50:02 AM »

And yet again, a fine example of "Beatle envy," as I like to call it...of course, what's not taken into account is that part of the reason the Beatles have a longer chart span is that here in the USA they weren't around as long, not even catching the public's attention until December 1963. I wonder if the same will hold true when Giles Martin's secret Beatles project comes out...

There should also be a phrase for beatles fans on youtube who think the understood greatest band in history need constant defending
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 05:58:30 AM »

I think it's understandable for someone to be tired of hearing about the beatles.  "beatle envy" aside. 

No "beatles envy" here, just a case of the better band winning out this time

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 06:18:45 AM »

I wonder if the same will hold true when Giles Martin's secret Beatles project comes out...

Don't worry if it's of anything worthwhile it will never come out anyhow.  If it's another video game or a bunch of familiar Beatles tunes mushed together then yeah we'll all be seeing that in short order.  

Oh yeah and don't forget to stock up on the fab coffee mugs and napkin rings they have on sale right now in celebration of their fiftieth anniversary as well!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:22:00 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 06:46:31 AM »

No "beatles envy" here, just a case of the better band winning out this time

BOOOOOOOOM
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 07:56:47 AM »

This a pointless "record."  The Beatles could release just about anything anytime and it would make the top 10 nowadays.  The difference is they'd be doing it with music that is over 40 years old.  Most of us love both bands, but we know the Beach Boys will never come close to outselling The Beatles.

Glad to see the new album debut at #3!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »

The Beatles could release just about anything anytime and it would make the top 10 nowadays. 

Blasphemy!  At least in the eyes of the voting members of Camp Beatle which is why we continue to get releases that will easily find modern audiences such as "Rock Band".

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »

Astonishing !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »

Can't believe there's so much Beatles hate out here....you all know it's ok to love more than one band, right? 

I love the Beach Boys, and count Brian Wilson and his writing/arranging as a significant part of my life, but there are some days when my love for the Beatles outweighs even that.  That doesn't make me less of Beach Boys fan, it just means sometimes the Beatles music speaks more to me. Sometimes it doesn't.  Life/Art isn't black and white...join me in living in the grey, won't you?  It's much more interesting.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »

Yeah, The Beatles are my favorite band. The Beach Boys are my second favorite. I'm quite happy with that order and am still pleased with this story.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »

Can't believe there's so much Beatles hate out here....you all know it's ok to love more than one band, right?  

I love the Beach Boys, and count Brian Wilson and his writing/arranging as a significant part of my life, but there are some days when my love for the Beatles outweighs even that.  That doesn't make me less of Beach Boys fan, it just means sometimes the Beatles music speaks more to me. Sometimes it doesn't.  Life/Art isn't black and white...join me in living in the grey, won't you?  It's much more interesting.

I would actually say the amount of Beach Boys fans that hate The Beatles isn't very significant.  In fact given that "SMiLE" is such a huge part of this particular forum's lore, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a significant number of younger Beach Boys fans on this forum who came to know the group through The Beatles.  Paul McCartney has always been gracious in his praise of "Pet Sounds" and for those of us that didn't live through the sixties many of us may have not been aware that The Beach Boys ever made anything other than surf records until a lot of Brian's contemporaries began heaping praise upon "Pet Sounds" as one of the greatest records of all time.

Likewise interest in "SMiLE" for many of us began to take hold once the well of Beatles rarities ran dry and those same collectors started receiving word that The Beach Boys had an unreleased project that had been heavily booted that was of the same quality of some of The Beatles' best music.  Many of those collectors then went out, got some SMiLE stuff, fell in love with it and began collecting and appreciating The Beach Boys just as much as they did The Beatles.

Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:05:31 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »

I love the Beach Boys, and count Brian Wilson and his writing/arranging as a significant part of my life, but there are some days when my love for the Beatles outweighs even that.  That doesn't make me less of Beach Boys fan, it just means sometimes the Beatles music speaks more to me. Sometimes it doesn't.  Life/Art isn't black and white...join me in living in the grey, won't you?  It's much more interesting.

And you do know its ok to just not be a beatles fan right? (not that im one of those).
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »

I love the Beach Boys, and count Brian Wilson and his writing/arranging as a significant part of my life, but there are some days when my love for the Beatles outweighs even that.  That doesn't make me less of Beach Boys fan, it just means sometimes the Beatles music speaks more to me. Sometimes it doesn't.  Life/Art isn't black and white...join me in living in the grey, won't you?  It's much more interesting.

And you do know its ok to just not be a beatles fan right? (not that im one of those).

It's obviously okay but as a relative once quoted to me for someone who grew up in the sixties or even digs the music of that generation it's also exceedingly rare.  Usually The Beatles are the gateway band into the music of that era.  From there peoples tastes tend to vary although in my opinion anyhow the link between The Beatles and The Beach Boys fanbases tend to be among the strongest out there in terms of crossover appeal.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »

Of course. But then there are those that call them overrated...  Roll Eyes
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »

Of course. But then there are those that call them overrated...  Roll Eyes

In their day they were probably underrated or at least unappreciated given what in hindsight they contributed to the broad spectrum of popular music.  In 2012, they might be slightly overrated but only by those who know nothing about the band comparatively speaking and still continually rank their albums in pole positions based upon either what they've been told or what they feel will be accepted by the general public.  I'm not sure if that makes much sense but I think those who complain that "Sgt. Pepper" is continuously and without question ranked as the greatest album of all time might have a bit of a gripe.  

Greater in relation to what?

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »

Of course. But then there are those that call them overrated...  Roll Eyes

In their day they were probably underrated or at least unappreciated given what in hindsight they contributed to the broad spectrum of popular music.  In 2012, they might be slightly overrated but only by those who know nothing about the band comparatively speaking and still continually rank their albums in pole positions based upon either what they've been told or what they feel will be accepted by the general public.  I'm not sure if that makes much sense but I think those who complain that "Sgt. Pepper" is continuously and without question ranked as the greatest album of all time might have a bit of a gripe.  

Greater in relation to what?

I agree with every bit of that.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »

Quote from: Runaways link=topic=13412.msg2

90321#msg290321 date=1339794325

Of course. But then there are those that call them overrated...  Roll Eyes

Heh, well im the weirdo that thinks theyre objectively the best band ever but still overrated lol.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx