gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:37:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Summer Long is my least favorite Beach Boys album  (Read 15578 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »

what's to dislike aboout "Wendy"?

and I don't really see much similarity between "God Only Knows" and "Our Sweet Love" other than they are both gorgeous ballads
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »

Just not my cup of tea, and I know it mostly comes down to personal preference over the song just being bad outright. I'll spare the strange, unrelated imagery it brings up for me personally, but yeah. I will say it's probably the only instance of a Brian vocal that I really dislike in the band's entire discography. Verse lyrics aren't too bright, either. Just me. The organ solo is so frigging cool, though, even if it grates the ears a bit.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »

except that Girls On The Beach is one of the greatest songs ever written.

That's one where Brian's chord changes are just out of this word. I mean, nobody but Brian comes up with changes, modulations like that. And then THOSE voices singing it....how could any BB's fan not love this?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 11:12:28 PM »

weird ... you names like half the album being good, then said it's your least favorite! I mean, the Beach Boys have some really awful records, but this is nowhere near any of them.

I don't listen to pre-Today stuff that often, but I play All Summer Long all the time because there isn't a dud on there! Every song is pretty great as far as I'm concerned. I prefer the mono LP though -- the mono mix has balls.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »

and I don't really see much similarity between "God Only Knows" and "Our Sweet Love" other than they are both gorgeous ballads
Wendy: I don't dislike it, Im just not as gung ho about it as others seem to be. I like Drive-In a LOT more.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2012, 12:14:13 AM »

Some of you guys are weird. All Summer Long is pop masterpiece. Aside from the obvious (I Get Around, the title track, Wendy - yes, definately Wendy!), it's of a consistently high quality throughout and even the throwaway Our Favourite... is probably the best - or rather, the most enjoyable - of these 'BB's in the studio' out-take tracks that cropped up on their early records.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2012, 01:29:16 AM »

Just not my cup of tea, and I know it mostly comes down to personal preference over the song just being bad outright. I'll spare the strange, unrelated imagery it brings up for me personally, but yeah. I will say it's probably the only instance of a Brian vocal that I really dislike in the band's entire discography. Verse lyrics aren't too bright, either. Just me. The organ solo is so frigging cool, though, even if it grates the ears a bit.

Have you heard The Descendants' cover of Wendy? I liked the song before, but that cover taught me how to love it.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2012, 02:33:10 AM »

I think 'Do You Remember' rocks and consider it to be the underrated gem on the album. I am too a big fan of the album, especially 'Wendy' and 'Hushabye'.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:34:29 AM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2012, 05:56:25 AM »

eh, they're just both kinda built around a steady piano chord progression, and similar pace.  The song just never hit me as anything special.  And that part in our sweet love where the guitar plays the melody, hum that melody to yourself, and then hum "i may not always love you" melody; they do have a similar rhythm. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:58:08 AM by Runaways » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2012, 06:33:44 AM »

It captured the innocence and happiness of summertime
And also the ending of things, while yearning for it to continue (innocence, youth, a political era). Features perfectly at the end of American Graffiti, which basically is a story about all kinds of things ending.

It's my favourite movie "of all time", as they say.  Smiley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2012, 06:39:08 AM »

I've tried and tried, but I cannot get into "Wendy". At all.
Just like the narrator after losing her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jv_XR6RMAI
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2012, 07:12:13 AM »

I've tried and tried, but I cannot get into "Wendy". At all.
Just like the narrator after losing her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jv_XR6RMAI

^_^

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2012, 07:16:20 AM »

It hit the Top 40 as a foderin' B-side.  In countries where it was the A-side, it was huge (#2 in Britain).  So yeah, people cared about it.  Not that I think Brian writing a similar sort of song is a problem!

it was number 2 in the UK right?

lawl, my bad Cry still. I'd guess there were other, more successful songs to cop if he was gonna do it for the sake of having a hit. But hay, who knows.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2012, 08:13:07 AM »

Why the frickity frick was God Only Knows only a b-side in the US? Who made that genius move?  Undecided

Again, I have to reiterate how amazing this Wendy cover is, ugh, I love it so much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srQhGvkW_JQ  Rock!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2012, 08:50:56 AM »

Why the foderity foder was God Only Knows only a b-side in the US? Who made that genius move?  Undecided

Some stuff just isn't gonna sell with the general public regardless of how great it is, especially given how they weren't very far removed from "Barbara Ann" blowing up. It happens.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »

Why the foderity foder was God Only Knows only a b-side in the US? Who made that genius move?  Undecided

Some stuff just isn't gonna sell with the general public regardless of how great it is, especially given how they weren't very far removed from "Barbara Ann" blowing up. It happens.

I think if Wouldn't it Be Nice had been pushed well enough it would've again quashed the general public's view that the band was a bunch of good for nothing but Barbara Ann-ers before it got too out of hand. After all, WIBN isn't too far removed from the commercial appeal of Rhonda which they managed to top the charts with. It's got all of the same bells and whistles coated in a finer finish, right down to the syn-co-pation of the vocals. Had that happened and the public latched on, I don't think it's too hard to imagine a God Only Knows A-side following up that single and being unsuccessful.

"A/S/L"?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »

I will say that all summer long is my favorite cover  Grin
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2012, 10:51:19 AM »

Sorry you feel that way, Aegir.  It's one of my essentials along with Little Deuce Coupe, Surfin' USA and Surfer Girl.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »

Girls on the Beach shoulda been a vocals only track on the ASL album...it's hard to hear the backing track...really, it's not needed, imo

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

The bass line descends by half steps while the chords change dramatically. That's the biggest similarity. Also it's not firmly in one key. It's not melodically similar or anything, it's just that it's a very similar songwriting approach to "God Only Knows."

And I love the All Summer Long album, so much.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »

Everything should be looked at for the context of that time. The Beach Boys made consistently good albums from '62 thru '72 without question; Surfin Safari was good, Surfin USA was great, Surfer Girl-great, Little Deuce Coupe-fantastic, Shut Down Vol2-decent, All Summer Long-great, Today-phenomenal, Summer Days-brilliant, Pet Sounds-stupendous, Smiley Smile-great, Wild Honey-great, Friends-good, 20/20-great, Sunflower-great, Surf's Up-good, Holland-good.... after that is where it starts to taper off- 15 Big Ones was a great album but half covers so some people felt a little ripped off I guess, Love You was great and like I said and I think most would agree after that it gets really hit&miss.

? ? ?
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »

In many ways this is the quintessential Beach Boys album. Pet Sounds is more sophisticated, Sunflower is a greater team effort, Endless Summer sold more copies, but All Summer Long is the definition of what made the Beach Boys great. Released in the summer of 1964, it sparkles with harmonic magic, and it exudes an irresistible zest for fun. The songs offer a sweetly framed window into the lives and feelings of California boys and girls. The album captures its place and time so perfectly that with every listen you are transported there again.

I'm with Jon in this regard: All Summer Long is really the ultimate, as in "last," Beach Boys album. Soon afterwards, Brian started wandering off the rez. It's the Beach Boys at their single-minded, focussed peak. By Today, Brian was already thinking outside the box, Summer Days was sort of a return to the formula after Brian had glimpsed wider musical horizons, Party was a stall, and Pet Sounds was Pet Sounds, my favorite. But on ASL, Brian hadn't yet started questioning things, and was there 100%, running the operation with total commitment and blossoming chops.
Also, "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" was typical for BB albums of the time. There was filler junk on every BB album of the period ("Bull Session with Big Daddy," anyone?). But Jeez, cut young Brian some slack; his output was nuts in these days. We can forgive a little filler, no?
Quintessential, indeed.
Arturo Bandini
Smiley Smile Associate

"If you live with wolves you will learn to howl."

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »

One of their best pre Pet Sounds thats for sure, But Im sure nobody can honestly say they like MIU, KTSA, SIP more than this.

I agree to a point where you cant say its a great album with songs like Drive In, Carls Big Chance, or the awful Do You Remember, where they just name check past rock and roll greats(Hey it sucked when the Ramones did it too, even with Phil Spector producing it)

But it did have some great songs on it, some of the best of their career to that date in my opinion.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »

I love the organ music, the bridge on Wendy.  That's a full blown song, all the voices are letting it out, on Wendy. Getting dumped by a girl named Wendy, oh the pain.
Arturo Bandini
Smiley Smile Associate

"If you live with wolves you will learn to howl."

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:29 PM »

I love the organ music, the bridge on Wendy.  That's a full blown song, all the voices are letting it out, on Wendy. Getting dumped by a girl named Wendy, oh the pain.

I concur
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx