gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:16:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Summer Long is my least favorite Beach Boys album  (Read 15573 times)
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »

I can't believe that at least one of the following isn't worse than ASL: 15BOs, MIU, LA, KTSA, BB85, Still Cruisin', and SIP.

Only Surfin' USA (#2), Summer Days(#2), and TWGMTR (#3) charted higher than ASL (#4).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:22:54 PM by LetHimRun » Logged
Jason
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »

LA is about equal. The rest are either below (The Beach Boys), really below (15 Big Ones, MIU, Still Cruisin', Summer In Paradise), or compost (Keepin' the Summer Alive).
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »

alright, I guess I wrote "you can't get a worse span of four songs than that on any album by anyone ever" and the extended "ughhh" just to be reactionary, but I stand by everything else.

But yes, I like MIU better than All Summer Long. I like Summer in Paradise better than All Summer Long. I like Country Love better than All Summer Long. None of those other albums I mentioned have four songs I don't care for. Girls on the Beach would be a decent song if it wasn't for the fact that Brian already wrote that song before, it's called Surfer Girl.

I love every Beach Boys album, so one of them has to be the worst. Some of the songs on Summer in Paradise are a little boring and they're all very uncool, but they're more hooky and less annoying than "Drive-In".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »

except that Girls On The Beach is one of the greatest songs ever written.

I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly is beautiful.

Same, but wow did that song amazed me first time i heard it!

My first Beach Boys record was Endless Summer, it was the first time i owned an Beach Boys vinyl and listened to a full lp (tho it's an compilation.. so it's not my 'first Beach Boys album", right)
and i will always remember my very FIRST listen of that record on my turntable, especially when Girls On The Beach came in, wow, those voices.. i thought the band was in my room! sucha  great vibe, totally love that song.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »

I like Summer in Paradise better than All Summer Long. I like Country Love better than All Summer Long.

ban.

Girls on the Beach is actually a much more complicated song than Surfer Girl, despite having a similar verse melody.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »

I like Summer in Paradise better than All Summer Long. I like Country Love better than All Summer Long.

ban.

Girls on the Beach is actually a much more complicated song than Surfer Girl, despite having a similar verse melody.

lol.
This whole thread is lol. He must be trolling.

And yeah, who cannot love the amazing modulation in 'Girls on the Beach'.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »

Girls on the Beach would be a decent song if it wasn't for the fact that Brian already wrote that song before, it's called Surfer Girl.

That's like saying Brian already wrote Pet Sounds, it's called Today!.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »

I refuse to believe that All Summer Long could be any Beach Boys' fan's least favorite album.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

except that Girls On The Beach is one of the greatest songs ever written.

I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly is beautiful.

Same, but wow did that song amazed me first time i heard it!

My first Beach Boys record was Endless Summer, it was the first time i owned an Beach Boys vinyl and listened to a full lp (tho it's an compilation.. so it's not my 'first Beach Boys album", right)
and i will always remember my very FIRST listen of that record on my turntable, especially when Girls On The Beach came in, wow, those voices.. i thought the band was in my room! sucha  great vibe, totally love that song.

Zig, Endless Summer was the first LP I ever bought. Beginning of a lifelong addiction.

I've always admired GOTB more than liked it, but would never skip a chance to hear it.

For me, Don't Back Down makes up for all the filler on All Summer Long. I remember hearing it for the first time on a friend or relative's Spirit of America and thinking, "Wow, it's a hit that wasn't a hit." I was stoked to hear it live this time 'round.

Of the early albums, I've always felt that Little Deuce Coupe was the strongest as a complete album. No filler.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »

Filler is a word that entirely misunderstands the context in which these albums were released. There is no filler. ALL Summer Long is a perfect, silly, beautiful, and complete statement. It comes as close to anything as a definition of what the essence of the Beach Boys is.

To dislike ASL, to me, is the same as saying you don't like the Beach Boys.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »

Any album that boasts "I Get Around", "All Summer Long", "Hushabye", "Little Honda", We'll Run Away", "Wendy", "Girls On The Beach" and "Don't Back Down" is already a candidate for one of the best albums of the early 60's.

The only real filler on this album, to me, is "Carl's Big Chance" and "Our Favorite Recording Sessions", the latter being more of a comedy sketch than a song. I don't find "Drive In" annoying at all. It's a fun song and now even somewhat poignant since that entire drive-in culture has vanished.

The worst of "All Summer Long" is at least endearing or humorous...which is more than can be said for Summer In Paradise with it's downright disgusting "Summer Of Love" and horrendous cover version of "Under The Boardwalk" and the band's open rape of "Forever". They even managed to make "Surfin' ", a song I enjoy more for it's historical value than it's own merit, into the equivalent of musical sh*t. Those four abortions alone are worse than anything on any other Beach Boy's record (that's not to say that I don't enjoy parts of Summer In Paradise...).    
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »

Filler is a word that entirely misunderstands the context in which these albums were released. There is no filler. ALL Summer Long is a perfect, silly, beautiful, and complete statement. It comes as close to anything as a definition of what the essence of the Beach Boys is.

To dislike ASL, to me, is the same as saying you don't like the Beach Boys.

Nope. It's filler. It's called trying to make too many albums too fast. Another symptom of that is putting several songs on multiple albums.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »

All Summer Long is a classic. My least favorite BB album would be anything to do with Christmas (sorry, I know there will be complaints about that too).
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »

The worst of "All Summer Long" is at least endearing or humorous...which is more than can be said for Summer In Paradise with it's downright disgusting "Summer Of Love" and horrendous cover version of "Under The Boardwalk" and the band's open rape of "Forever". They even managed to make "Surfin' ", a song I enjoy more for it's historical value than it's own merit, into the equivalent of musical merda. Those four abortions alone are worse than anything on any other Beach Boy's record (that's not to say that I don't enjoy parts of Summer In Paradise...).    

See, to me, dragging an album critique into the realm of rape and abortions seems a tiny bit more worthy of backlash than someone simply saying "ugggghhhhhh".

And I'm saying this as someone who basically agrees about those tracks!

No offence,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »

I must admit that Drive-In is one of the band's most underrated songs. It's total, utter nonsense but it's a foderload of fun. When Brian started playing the song in concert, it was a real treat. Brian would ham it up in true Brian Wilson style, as well. It's a fodering classic. Deal with it.

The banter when they introduced it on the Opera House tour down here was priceless.

Jeff:  "This next number is one of Brian's faaaaaaavorite songs..."
Brian:  "It is NOT!"

Suddenly everyone on stage was about twelve years old...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jason
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »

When he played it in Philadelphia in '06 on the tour with Al, he sang the second verse like this...

"A big buttered popcorn and an extra large Coke, a few chili dogs AND MAN I'M GOING BRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

At the drive-in...at the drive-in..."
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »

The worst of "All Summer Long" is at least endearing or humorous...which is more than can be said for Summer In Paradise with it's downright disgusting "Summer Of Love" and horrendous cover version of "Under The Boardwalk" and the band's open rape of "Forever". They even managed to make "Surfin' ", a song I enjoy more for it's historical value than it's own merit, into the equivalent of musical merda. Those four abortions alone are worse than anything on any other Beach Boy's record (that's not to say that I don't enjoy parts of Summer In Paradise...).    

See, to me, dragging an album critique into the realm of rape and abortions seems a tiny bit more worthy of backlash than someone simply saying "ugggghhhhhh".

And I'm saying this as someone who basically agrees about those tracks!

No offence,
Jon Blum

I disagree. They're songs, not people. As such, I'm speaking in the abstract because it's impossible to actually "rape" or "abort" something that isn't alive or even tangible. Strong language to illustrate strong opinions on things that, at the end of the day, aren't even important.  Take it in the spirit it's given....I don't actively hate even the worst of the Beach Boys catalog.  Smiley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »

NEVERMINDFUCK FUCKFUCKFUCk
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:03:08 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »

Also, I've tried and tried, but I cannot get into "Wendy". At all. The rest of the album is A-OK with me ^_^ "Girls On The Baech" is indeed very much like "Surfer Girl", but there's enough in there to make it a worthwhile composition by itself, most notably for Dennis' bridge section.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:04:59 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »

Girls on the Beach would be a decent song if it wasn't for the fact that Brian already wrote that song before, it's called Surfer Girl.

I disagree,  I think "girls on the beach" is to "surfer girl" as "our sweet love" is to "god only knows".  Slightly forced attempts to recapture a type of tune.  That said, i think girls on the beach pulls it off better than our sweet love did.  
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »

This thread sucks really. The album helped build and shape Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys=END OF IT!!
Great Album!!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »

I disagree,  I think "girls on the beach" is to "surfer girl" as "our sweet love" is to "god only knows".  Slightly forced attempts to recapture a type of tune.  That said, i think girls on the beach pulls it off better than our sweet love did.  

I don't get the "Brian was obviously trying to cop an older song" accusations, especially in the case of "Our Sweet Love". Did anyone aside from bigger fans give a shit about "God Only Knows" until Jesus McCartney said it was his favorite song 20 or 30 years ago? I don't think it was a huge hit or anything, so why bother trying to "recapture" it?

If you're a songwriter, you know you're gonna write a song or two that's remarkably similar to another one at some point. Some choose to discard them, some choose to recognize that both songs have their merits and their place and release both. I'm a fan of folks who choose to do the latter.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 08:32:09 PM »

I don't get the "Brian was obviously trying to cop an older song" accusations, especially in the case of "Our Sweet Love". Did anyone aside from bigger fans give a shit about "God Only Knows" until Jesus McCartney said it was his favorite song 20 or 30 years ago? I don't think it was a huge hit or anything, so why bother trying to "recapture" it?

If you're a songwriter, you know you're gonna write a song or two that's remarkably similar to another one at some point. Some choose to discard them, some choose to recognize that both songs have their merits and their place and release both. I'm a fan of folks who choose to do the latter.

it was number 2 in the UK right?  Well then i take back that it was attempts, but it still sounds like a lesser version to me.  This was one of my first thoughts when I heard it, just not a fan.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:40 PM »

Did anyone aside from bigger fans give a shit about "God Only Knows" until Jesus McCartney said it was his favorite song 20 or 30 years ago? I don't think it was a huge hit or anything, so why bother trying to "recapture" it?

It hit the Top 40 as a frickin' B-side.  In countries where it was the A-side, it was huge (#2 in Britain).  So yeah, people cared about it.  Not that I think Brian writing a similar sort of song is a problem!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »

I love that album, although I'll admit Do you Remember took a while to mark its territory. Its all about the guitars in that song, I mean, that's what finally sold me on it. The overal track just rocks. I LOVE Drive In, I think it's as iconic as All Summer Long in a way. And yeah, I love that album. I am also one who is not as sold on Wendy as much as others--I like it, but it migiht be my least favorite song on the album. The opening is great. If I imagine Peter Pan singing it, then I like it better.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:54:57 PM by lance » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx