gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:00:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hourlong concert up at NPR.com  (Read 9330 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:05 AM »

OK, I'm about 40 minutes into this 60 minute concert sampler, and I can't help but notice that Al (and Bruce) hasn't had a single lead vocal yet, other than a couple of lines in the new songs.  I guess I'm just an Al-advocate, but man, Al is a good sport at being treated as "less than" in the setlist decisions, album track inclusions, media appearances, etc. during this whole tour.  Al is so important in the harmony blend, and his lead vocals are stronger than anyone else's at this point, both live and in the studio.
Edit...OK close to the end...I guess Help Me Rhonda is Al's only lead...

Well, it's only an hour of highlights rather than a full concert set (not sure why they didn't give NPR a full concert set) from different tour dates.  It's not like they don't get a lot to sing in the actually show.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49:05 AM »

OK, I'm about 40 minutes into this 60 minute concert sampler, and I can't help but notice that Al (and Bruce) hasn't had a single lead vocal yet, other than a couple of lines in the new songs.  I guess I'm just an Al-advocate, but man, Al is a good sport at being treated as "less than" in the setlist decisions, album track inclusions, media appearances, etc. during this whole tour.  Al is so important in the harmony blend, and his lead vocals are stronger than anyone else's at this point, both live and in the studio.
Edit...OK close to the end...I guess Help Me Rhonda is Al's only lead...

Well, it's only an hour of highlights rather than a full concert set (not sure why they didn't give NPR a full concert set) from different tour dates.  It's not like they don't get a lot to sing in the actually show.
I've been to 3 shows, so I'm aware that Al & Bruce do sing leads at the shows.  Just wondering why great leads like Al's on "Cottonfields" or "California Saga" or "Then I Kissed Her" were not featured.  I didn't keep track, but I'd say that on this hour of highlights, Mike had about 15 lead vocals...couldn't they have dropped a couple so we could hear "Disney Girls" or "Cottonfields"? 
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 02:57:48 AM »

Of all the performances of 'Sail on Sailor' they could have used, why couldn't they have used one of the ones with Brian's growling 'DAAMNN'
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 03:43:02 AM »

There's got to be a way to save/record this.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 06:30:52 AM »

I wish they'd pulled recordings from more recent shows, now that the group is really hitting their stride.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 06:53:08 AM »

Been enjoying this notwithstanding its shortcomings.

Here's a few questions/comments:
1- Joe Thomas said that he was present during the first few dates. Does that have to do with the production of the PBS program?
2- did his presence have to do with the -ahem- funny vocals effects? As did his leave with the absence of said effects?
3- anyone can offer insight on their road manager leaving after the first few dates? Who was he anyway?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »

Been enjoying this notwithstanding its shortcomings.

Here's a few questions/comments:
1- Joe Thomas said that he was present during the first few dates. Does that have to do with the production of the PBS program?
2- did his presence have to do with the -ahem- funny vocals effects? As did his leave with the absence of said effects?
3- anyone can offer insight on their road manager leaving after the first few dates? Who was he anyway?

Is it possible that #3 was #1?
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »

I'm thrilled that this is out there, but there are some really clumsy edits in it.

You can save it using any audio capturing software, like Sound Tap.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »

I'm about 20 mins. in and I think that "Isn't it time" is indeed the studio version with additional overdubs. In fact I think this version is much better. The overdubs make this sound much fuller and Brian Wilson-like. This should be the single version

What's really strange is that the very final sung line right at the end (which I presume is Brian) is live.

Sounds like the mics on the audience get switched off during 409
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »

As I wrote earlier...the car medley starting with 409 is lifted directly from the Sirius XM performance.  Although the NPR version is mixed better, a quick comparison shows that the performances are one in the same...same guitar licks, same remarks by Al to "Go David go!"  That is why the audience drops out--because the Sirius set was taped in a studio with a less exuberant audience in attendance.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »

As I wrote earlier...the car medley starting with 409 is lifted directly from the Sirius XM performance.  Although the NPR version is mixed better, a quick comparison shows that the performances are one in the same...same guitar licks, same remarks by Al to "Go David go!"  That is why the audience drops out--because the Sirius set was taped in a studio with a less exuberant audience in attendance.

Good Vibrations on the NPR show is also the same version from the Sirius show. They sync perfectly. Two easy tip offs are the fluffed "clothes" on the "I love the colorful clothes she wears" line, and even more obviously, the draw-out of the "Close my eyes" line. Do It Again also features the same flown-in bridge vocal from Brian that was on the Sirius show. Other weird things going far and above what's already been mentioned by others. When Bruce utters his "Texas girls" line, it's mixed center directly *over* the vocal part he's already singing that's mixed left (his 'I wish they all could be California Girls" reply line)! Double-tracked vocals, studio versions, etc.

Still, for all the faking, it's an essential listen IMHO if only for the stuff that we haven't got already, and possibly even more importantly, the songs that have been dropped (e.g. "The Little Girl I Once Knew"). Smiley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:33:47 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »

NO AUTOTUNE ON THE EARLY SHOWS. U GUYS ARE DELUSIONAL IDIOT LOL

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »

As I wrote earlier...the car medley starting with 409 is lifted directly from the Sirius XM performance.  Although the NPR version is mixed better, a quick comparison shows that the performances are one in the same...same guitar licks, same remarks by Al to "Go David go!"  That is why the audience drops out--because the Sirius set was taped in a studio with a less exuberant audience in attendance.

Sorry, didn't catch it when you said it earlier.  That makes a lot of sense.
elagpa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 01:12:43 AM »

The info says "Hear an hour of highlights from several of The Beach Boys' recent shows", so one of these 'recent show' is the Sirius's show Smiley

I love Isn't it time... soooo great song!

do you know about get the Siriu's concert on the web? thanx!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »

I'm having some trouble recording this, I've tried multiple times.  Could someone perhaps who has recorded this shoot me a PM?

EDIT: All set! Thank you!  Grin
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:33:06 AM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »

Hmmmm.  To me, Brian's voice sounds better than Mike's.  It's as if Mike won't open up his throat. Great version of Sail on Sailor.  Pity the song choice isn't a little wider.

Honk! Honk!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 11:06:03 AM »

Finally heard this. Guess a live album may be in the works if they're recording everything... If there is, let's hope there are more post-1965 tracks than this. It's worrying that Brian sounds better than Mike. I guess to be at one of the shows must have been great, but after a few listens, you hear the bum notes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx