gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:11:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Luau 2012  (Read 3237 times)
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »

Possibly the newly reconstituted and historically conscious Beach Boys should have considered the nostalgia value of their very first 'B' side.

Yes, it's not a Brian Wilson composition... but neither are a number of songs on the tour list.

No, weekend Beach Boy fans wouldn't recognize it.

So what?

It's a catchy little song with real Beach Boy provenance.

I'd wager that they could have worked up an interesting arrangement, updated and moderized, or they could have gone vintage and done it with one guitar.

Eitherway, I think this is somethng they overlooked.

I laugh every time I listen to the Beach Boys Party album and hear someone say..."let's do Luau!"

Of course they didn't, but maybe they should have pretended their patio was an island in the sun.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:09:17 PM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

In the Endless Summer TV show from 89, there's the campfire scene where they sing "Surfin'" and right after they finish Carl calls for "Luau," cracking everybody up. One of my fave BB Tv moments.

I actually love "Luau" a lot too. I'd definitely have rather heard it in Atlanta than "Then I Kissed Her," much as I appreciate Al's vocal on that. Then again, nobody could sing Dennis's "Girls will all hula / Boys will all sing" quite the same way." I'd also go for "Surfin'" over "Little Honda" in concert too. I think I heard them do "Surfin'" exactly once, way back in the 80s. Emphasis on think.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:58:37 PM »

I see wee see aye to aye on this.  LOL

I have no prob with Lil Honda... but there's prawbly a hundred Beach Boy classics I'd rather hear than 'Disney Girls', which of course wouldn't even be on the list if Broocy wasn't standing there adjusting his mic.

But yeah, Denny's part in Luau wouldn't be the same, but then again, nothings ever really the same.

For instance, Dave Marks singing 'Hawaii' is a great thing and I really really hope he's still doing it for the rest of the tour, but of course he didn't sing the recorded version. Possibly he sang harmony on it at some point way way back.

Cool stuff..................go Beach Boys.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »

I actually waned to hear Luau, i've always enjoyed it.

shoulda been on the SS/S. USA album as a bonus track.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:07:01 PM »

I think it would be fantastic if they added "Luau" to a show or two. Why not? It's what, a minute and a half? DO IT!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »

*haha*

It's possible the Beach boys underestimate their core fan base.

If I was at the show and they suddenly launched into Luau, I would simply fall over with amazement and awe.

(While we're at it, could we have a vote for adding 'Custom Machine' to the list ?) Ok, I'm dreamin' again. But Jeez, who doesn't love THAT song Huh?)  Roll Eyes

keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:28 PM »

*haha*

It's possible the Beach boys underestimate their core fan base.

If I was at the show and they suddenly launched into Luau, I would simply fall over with amazement and awe.

(While we're at it, could we have a vote for adding 'Custom Machine' to the list ?) Ok, I'm dreamin' again. But Jeez, who doesn't love THAT song Huh?)  Roll Eyes

Maybe not the whole song, but if we could just get the "step on the gas, she goes WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" that'd be amazing.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:13:13 AM »

You got my vote.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »

Mike, according to Scott Totten iirc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 02:54:10 AM »

Right on, re: Luau and Custom Machine!

It might be too much for the originals to re-learn something that's almost completely foreign to them at this point.

Although Al has a good memory for outtakes. He mentioned "We're Together Again" in the Sirius interview.

Now that the initial shock of all of them being on stage together is out of the way...

It would be great if they could do SOMETHING completely out of left field.

We've all heard Brian do Marcella in the past. TLGIOK.. the shock of that one went away with BW's solo tour 12 years ago. All This Is That is probably the "rarest" song they're doing, and that's truly great w/BW and Al, but I think Mike's band has done that one over the past 10 years...

A snippet of "Luau", or "Angel Come Home", "I Went To Sleep", or some rare SMiLE track.. now THAT would be the icing on the cake at this point.

Their catalog is so freakin' deep, they should pull out something completely random that they've never done live.

Again, they (Mike) just might not have the interest in doing this. But, it'd make a lot of hardcore fans happy!

Either way, I'm gonna see if I can get myself to wake up extremely early tomorrow to see em at Central Park.   Smokin
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:55:24 AM »

I'm guessing Mike doesn't like "Custom Machine" bc "stereophonic speakers set in fibrasonic sound" is a pretty tough four-beat tongue-twister.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »

Then I want to also hear "At the Drive-In", cause Mike trips over the "extra large Coke" even on the record. One of those goofy early novelty songs would blow my mind completely. I'd be like a kid on his birthday if I heard "Chug-a-Lug", for instance.
CoolWater
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »

Back stage in Chula Vista Mike asked me what song I wanted to hear that night and I said 'Chug-a-Lug'. He gave me a funny look and I just said It'd be cool to hear all the name dropping in the song, and the die hards would LOVE it.  He smiled and said, 'Probably not tonight.'

Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:55:47 AM by CoolWater » Logged
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »

As far as pulling things from left field. Doesn't 'Ballad of Old Betsy' qualify? I really couldn't believe they are doing that, but I'm quite glad they are.

And regarding 'fibrasonic' sound. Are you saying Mike mispronounces 'vibrasonic' or is that a typo on your part?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:06:31 PM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »

Ha---typo on my part! Sorry!
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

I wanna hear Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson live...

Wait, no, no, I don't. At all.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »

Luau/ Little Pad/ Diamond Head/ Hawaii-- medley style, yo.

Brian, Dennis, & Carl

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »

Work in "Kona Coast" and I'm down.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »

We've all heard Brian do Marcella in the past. TLGIOK.. the shock of that one went away with BW's solo tour 12 years ago. All This Is That is probably the "rarest" song they're doing, and that's truly great w/BW and Al, but I think Mike's band has done that one over the past 10 years...

A snippet of "Luau", or "Angel Come Home", "I Went To Sleep", or some rare SMiLE track.. now THAT would be the icing on the cake at this point.

Yeah, until folks got tired of those songs after a while and demanded further obscure tracks Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx