-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The Army
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Army  (Read 8936 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »

I might do it in June when I turn 18.

Anyone had any experience in this?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:05 PM »

My wife's exhusband is in the Army.  He loves it.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »

Your every move in the army is monitored, so this board is good preparation.
Ha...ha...ha...ha?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:28:16 PM »

My mother-in-law is a National Guard recruiter, my dad was in the Army and fought in Korea, my uncle was in World War II, my brother was in the Navy. Me, on the other hand, am anti-military due to my political and (more to the point)religious beliefs (not that I don't support the troops already over there, just the whole reason) so...I guess I'm different from the rest.

Ian...  LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 07:07:34 AM »

It is a worthy endeavor if you believe it's for you.  My dad and my uncle were military, but no one from my generation followed.  I have a great deal of respect for men and women who choose to enter military service; it is selfless and admirable.  It's also not for everybody, so you'll definitely want to be sure it's what you want before you enlist.

Good luck with your decision.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »

well, I thought about the army
Dad said, "Son, you're fucking high"
and I thought,
"yeah, there's a first for everything"
so, I took my old man's advice
3 sad semesters
it was only 15 grand
spent in bed
I thought about the army
I dropped out and joined a band instead
grew a moustache and a mullet
got a job at Chick-fil-A
citing
"artistic differences"
the band broke up in May
and in June reformed without me
and they got a different name
I nuked another grandma's apple pie
and hung my head in shame, no...

I've been thinking a lot today

oh, I think I'll write a screenplay
oh, I think I'll take it to L.A.
oh, I think I'll get it done yesterday
(oh, sh*t!)

in this time of introspection
on the eve of my election
I say to my reflection,
"God, please spare me more rejection!"
'cause my peers they criticize me
and my ex-wives all despise me
try to put it all behind me
but my redneck past is nipping at my heels (ha ha ha)

I thought about the army
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 10:02:56 AM »

You'll have to choose between them and the beard.  Do you think you're ready to let go all over again?

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 10:08:18 AM »

Bwahahaha! Good one Rerun. You beat me to it...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 03:59:46 PM »

Well I was thinking about offering them a ten dollar bill to let me keep it.

Plan seems fool-proof up to now.

By the way, stubble has occupied my face with its glorious shadowing.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 04:08:14 PM »

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
hrtshpdbox
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 05:59:01 AM »

Providing that no one kills or maims you, the Army's a great experience - I loved it.  You'd make life-long friends, you'd acquire an invaluable self-discipline that would serve you well later, and you'd have some incredible experiences.  There is a lot of hard physical work involved but, and I know it's difficult for civilians to understand this, almost everyone I knew in the Army had a really good time - they do take care of you.  If you actually decide to do it, be aware that once you sign you can't request anything from them; as an example, lots of new soldiers want to do the parachute thing and don't realize that if you don't request Airborne school before you sign you will not get to do it.  Once you sign, you're theirs, except for anything you insisted be put in the contract.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 06:07:42 AM »

One of my students has a 24-year-old brother who is in the Army, home on leave, and she asked if he could come talk to the classes last week.  Of course i agreed; it's always good to have something really interesting for the little cherubs on the last day before vacation!
;-)

This young man freely admits he wasn't the best kid in high school, and says he entered the Army to serve his country, but also to straighten himself out.  He is an articulate, soft-spoken, polite, upstanding young man who hated being in Iraq, but wishes more than anything that he could go back there now, because his unit - his brothers - are there.  He can't because of an injury, but if he could, he'd go in a heartbeat.

If you lack direction, if you want to learn what it is to be a man, based on what i saw in Erica's brother you could do a lot worse than the US Army. 

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 07:43:09 AM »

Last two posts ---

That's what I've been sensing from most people whom I've heard talk about their experience in the Army. I'll be giving it some very serious consideration in the next few months, though right now i'd rather ignore everything for some time.

Cabana Boy
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 08:27:11 AM »

I almost joined the Navy.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 08:31:29 AM »

I almost joined the Navy.

My friend is leaving in August for the Navy. Every month he's been going to some sort of training thing for it. He's a lot different than me and is going for different reasons completely. There's only one problem with his plan though, and that would be his girlfriend.

Cabana Boy
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 08:39:35 AM »

There's only one problem with his plan though, and that would be his girlfriend.
That's what stopped me at the time. g/f wasn't keen on the idea.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 05:15:52 PM »

Sorry but I am one of those people that believes war sucks. It doesn't help anyone. You have to think of when you get into something like that, like what if you die or what if you lose a limb? Will it seem worth it then? I don't think so. It's not that I don't like America or the military, I don't like the reasons why we are over in Iraq and personally Steve, I don't think you belong in that kind of place. Just my two cents.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »

I'm not worried about my own loss of life or limb at all. I'd much rather die while serving in the army than as how I would otherwise. I'd be much more concerned about the people around me losing their lives.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 06:37:18 AM »

I was in the army.  Two fulll years.  It is definitely a place for growing up.  But as someone said, they do take good care of you, except for the being sent into battle and harms way part.

I got to travel, have my own apartment, earn a regular check, got good benefits, and when I left, they paid my way through college.   But it did mean two years of my life.  And they make you wear your hair THEIR way.  And you will have to pee in a bottle....which means no Mary Jane.  In my day, being in the army wasn't cool.  Its ok now on the cool scale, I think.  They won't associate you with baby killing or Kent State.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 08:42:00 AM »

Sorry but I am one of those people that believes war sucks. It doesn't help anyone. You have to think of when you get into something like that, like what if you die or what if you lose a limb? Will it seem worth it then? I don't think so. It's not that I don't like America or the military, I don't like the reasons why we are over in Iraq and personally Steve, I don't think you belong in that kind of place. Just my two cents.

I think war suck as well, but, it's necessary often times and noble and beardless.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 09:07:56 AM »

I think war suck as well, but, it's necessary often times and noble and beardless.

I'm with the Snout on this one.  Of course war sucks.  But sometimes the end justifies the means, Katie.  No American Revolution, you and i are eating badly cooked steak and talking with an accent.  No World War II, Hitler wins.  I'm on vacation this week and too lazy to give you more examples, but those two pretty much make the point.

Nobody WANTS war.  But it is fought anyway...everywhere...by young men and women who have decided [at least in this country they get the choice] that they are called to that service, for whatever reason.  Hey - big fires suck, too, but there are fire fighters who have made it their business to fight them.

I would not choose the Army, or any military branch, for myself or for my niece or nephews, but if one of them chooses it truly then i will be very, very proud, and very, very grateful that he or she has decided to be one of the defenders of our country.  It is a pretty high calling, and i have nothing but thanks and respect for those who heed that call.  And if you think that's sappy, i won't tell you that i'm tearing up as i write it.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 10:58:28 PM »

Don't do it.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 11:00:47 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 11:04:33 PM »

I could defend my country as a security guy at the great and mighty entrance of the local Walmart, no?

As my Granny told me on the phone, "......Everybody 'as to go to work sometime, duck. Ya can't just sit around all day.......You're wasting your life doing that.....get something done".

Two months will tell if i'll join. I'll tell you guys if I do, then report back when i've returned (if) and tell of my decision.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 05:10:06 AM »

Whatever you decide, be sure you do what you think is right for YOU.  Be true to yourself, and you'll have made the right choice.

Good luck.

Wilsonista
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 12:51:43 PM »

Another alternative to the Military is the Peace Corps.

http://www.peacecorps.gov

Otherwise,I'm with Katie and Heywood.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: