gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:14:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has there ever been a better time to be a Beach Boys fan than right now?  (Read 4420 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »

I've been a casual fan since the mid-60's and for some reason that i can't explain became a "super fan" after the announcement of this tour. have no idea why that happened.  

I'm surprised you didn't get really hooked by the Endless Summer/Spirit Of America one-two punch.

That's when I became a fan - 1975. And, the next thing I know, there was a new Beach Boys' album almost every year from 1976 - 1980. That was a weird, wacky time. A lot of the concerts I saw were train wrecks, and, obviously the albums were a mixed bag. But, there was never a dull moment!
Oily Pig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »

i was a great fan of the greatest hits packages all along but not a super-fan otherwise.  Pet Sounds has been in my collection in one form or the other since at least before 1970, and.... I never once listened to it all the way thru until this year!!!! S-T-U-P-I-D!!!!!!  Now, i can't get enough of "That's Not Me", "Waiting for the Day", "I Know there's an Answer" and "Here Today" - and i never even listened to them until this past March.  I didn't care for "Let's Go Away for Awhile" or the title track.  Now, i absolutely love them!!  ok, you figure it out because... i can't.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »

I would say that the 63-73 was their peak. Most of what they have done since is garbage with a few gems in there. Love You is good. And most other albums have one or two or a few good songs. It went way down hill in the 80s and 90s, although Kokamo made them very popular. I became a fan when the Endless Harmony doc showed on VH1 in 1998. I think that was a great time to become a Beach Boys fan. Expectations for current Beach Boys were very low. In recent years, SIP, Full House, The Country album, Nascar and an embarrasing Brian Wilson solo album called Imaginations. Nothing they did was neither cool nor artistic. But it has gone steadily uphill from there. No, its not even close to what they were in 73. But I would say that it is similar to the late 70s with out the drugs or fighting. Late 70s, I mean the quality of the music.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx