gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:00:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 30- Merriweather Post Pavilion-Columbia, MD-June 15th  (Read 41471 times)
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »

As promised, the 'cheat sheet' for the new lyrics.  I got barked at by security in much the same tone I yell at my dog in when going for this.

It may not be a setlist, nor is it like finding the lyric sheet to a classic - but I think it's a pretty cool keepsake. 

Did you do the front row package...or are you just lucky? LOL Nice pics btw! I'll have mine up soon.

Thanks!  I did the VIP, 'cause every other attempt I've made to even get near the band has failed.  Apparently I don't know the right people.  Roll Eyes

There's an interesting story about how I got the VIP package which I'll relate once I get around to documenting the whole experience...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »

I take it that's a photocopy that was made off the hand-written lyrics that someone wrote on hotel stationery?  It must have been a very recent addition to the lyrics. I wonder if it's Brian or Mike who wrote them, and if it's in their own handwriting.  Nice souvenir, atroxi!
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »

Less amazing: Brian's cough on the first part of H&V!

I LOVED that cough!  Hilarious.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »

I take it that's a photocopy that was made off the hand-written lyrics that someone wrote on hotel stationery?  It must have been a very recent addition to the lyrics. I wonder if it's Brian or Mike who wrote them, and if it's in their own handwriting.  Nice souvenir, atroxi!

My understanding was, this was the first night they did it. Because no one really knew it was coming, nor they pleased to see it! Shocked
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »

The lyrics replaced with the new ones included a line about going steady. The new ones are more mature so to speak.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2012, 08:22:05 AM »

Not much to add except that quite a few clips from this show are now on Youtube so people who weren't there can get some idea of Darian's performance of Darlin' - I thought it was really outstanding.

Al's vocals are indeed great - and should mention that those signed copies of Postcard From California are still plentiful at the merch table. Worth picking up if only for San Simeon and his take on Honkin' Down The Highway.

Bruce's funniest line, for me anyway, was when Disney Girls got a lengthy ovation and he said something about changing his last name to Springsteen. (This was one of my wife's two favorite songs of the night - the other was All This Is That but that may partly be because she meditates, albeit in a non-TM context.)

Brian's little flub on Heroes has been mentioned above. But it seemed to spur him to compensate in the songs he sang after that - those vocals were more powerful and focused than in his first set.

Dave's solos were cookin' and Mike was pretty energetic - I can still picture him lurching forward to start "I Get Around." He was still jazzed about Radio being at #3 in Billboard - mentioned it two or three times.

I'd say it was sure among the dozen best shows I've seen over the last 37 years, since I started with the Stones. So I'm just about ready to go to the Virginia Beach show. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »

I don't like that part in the song very much. I think it takes too much away from the groove and doesn't fit in well.

I think it's the best part and what makes the song unique, without it, song would just sound just like another 80's stuff without any interesting parts.

I'm not against a middle part, it's just this certain one that I don't like. But to each his own. It'll grow on me.

I just found this page with pictures from various concerts. I don't know if it was posted before.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/Beach+Boys/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
krabklaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »

As promised, the 'cheat sheet' for the new lyrics.  I got barked at by security in much the same tone I yell at my dog in when going for this.

Too bad they didn't use that lyric on the album. I don't like that line about raising a glass to kindness.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

krabklaw...what exactly is your icon picture thing? It looks like Brian in the 70's wearing a TWGMTR shirt....
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »

It is. It was done for another thread on this site but can't remember which one or who did it. Cool job!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »

Pre-concert interview with Mike on WMAL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRFQ4BpBFq0&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »

I attended this show. I thought everyone except Brian was great. I'm sorry, but I cannot stand Brian's singing. He slurs his words, coughs/sneezes during verses, and is all-around sloppy. I'd rather him just sit on stage doing nothing than sing. Everything else, though, was fantastic. I had a great time.
MrsTarquinBiscuitbarrel
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »

OK- I'm alive! LOL

Second only to Sir Paul's magical performances, this was the greatest concert experience I've ever had.

The setlist above IS accurate. I'll give a run down of the day...and try to keep it brief  Razz...

[large section omitted]

So if you have not yet seen this show...you are in for a treat...if you don't have tickets...GO MAN GO!!! Grin

You were directly in front of me.  I was in the 3d row, in the GOT HERMOSA BEACH? shirt.

During the meet 'n greet, being introduced as "the lovely lady who's the only one in her party," I noticed that Mike Love was eyeing my bosom--my T-shirt, I assume.  So I took the chance and stated the obvious: "I'm from Hermosa Beach!"

He replied drily, "I used to live at 2247 Hermosa Avenue with Dennis Wilson."

Knowing of their usually stormy relationship, I deadpanned, "Oh, that must have been FUN."  Everyone laughed, SNAP!, and on to the next group.

Great summary!  We had so many similar experiences that I won't repeat them.  However, I stayed defiantly in my seat during Kokomo, one of my least favorite Group d/b/a BBs songs, and I noticed that Brian took this brief opportunity to doze off on the piano bench.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 02:36:21 PM »

Review with lots of beautiful pictures:
http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/livedc-beach-boys-merriweather-post-pavilion.htm

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx