gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:57:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 30- Merriweather Post Pavilion-Columbia, MD-June 15th  (Read 41444 times)
RNieves
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 04:59:17 AM »

Believe this is accurate:

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
It's OK
This Whole World
Kiss Me Baby
Isn't It Time
Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
When I Grow Up To Be A Man
Darlin'
Please Let Me Wonder
Be True To Your School
Cottonfields
Disney Girls
Ballad Of Ole' Betsy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
-----------------------
Add Some Music To Your Day
Heroes And Villains
California Saga: California
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice?
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Sail On, Sailor
In My Room
All This Is That
That's Why God Made The Radio
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Rock And Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' USA
-----------------------
Kokomo
Barbara Ann *
Fun, Fun, Fun *

* Brian On Bass
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »

Wow - three songs by backup band members.... good thing the tickets cost so much to see that!

A shame they are so expensive to hear Darian play keyboards instead of a real goshed darn Beach Boy too. Darlin' is one of my favorite songs and since none of the originals can sing it very well, I have no problems with having Darian or John Cowsill performing it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »

Darian is a great guy and has done an awesome job on "Darlin'" for years (in Brian's band). I hope he will continue to do so 'til the Boys hit Europe. I love that tune too much to care about the fact that it's not sung by Brian (or any other Beach Boy). We get a 50-songs set with mainly the BBs on leads, so who cares?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 09:18:18 AM »

OK- I'm alive! LOL

Second only to Sir Paul's magical performances, this was the greatest concert experience I've ever had.

The setlist above IS accurate. I'll give a run down of the day...and try to keep it brief  Razz

We were brought in at 5PM, merch booth was already set up and we were able to mingle around the area for about 15 mins. They didn't have any items signed by all the band avaliable yet. So, I decided to wait till later to visit the booth. While we were waiting we could hear the backup band doing there soundcheck, and a few people were getting upset and thinking that we were missing what we paid $$$ for. Our host assured us, none of the official Beach Boys were onstage yet. We could hear the backup band plan as day, and I loved it! They did "Back in the USSR", "Billie Jean", and "The End" (from the Beatles Abbey Road medley)...very cool to hear for this Beatles fan!

Then, we were ushered in, I made sure we were near the front of the group, and walked into the soundcheck to see our four of our beloved beach boys taking the stage. Bruce was talking to the sound guys, David was still setting up, Al gave us a wave and shouted Hey there, how ya doin to the group, and Brian was sitting at the piano, with his eyes shut...Mike was nowhere to be seen! Bruce asked us how many of us watched GMA, and how many watched Justin Bieber! He said they were just getting off the bus and still had their makeup on  LOL   He was a real card the whole night.

Soundcheck was very interesting to watch. As soon as Mike walked out, he gave us a brief greeting, and then Brain suddenly awoke or whatever, and shouted "Please Let Me Wonder". Scott Totten got the guys together, like he had to EVERY time...they like to ramble, and it sounded great. Then Brian did the same for Little Honda and It's OK...not really sure why, they certainly did not need work. Then Totten finally cut him off, politely, and said they had to work on some changes to "Isn't It Time", these were lyrically changes...and it certainly took some time to get things down. Foskett was really getting pissed about the lyric sheet he was given...not sure why, Mike just blatantly stared at the sheet through the whole section of the song at the check, and the show that night. Al said he didn't need one, he had it. Cool Then Totten announced that they wouuld be doing Darlin', and I lost it! LOL Darian NAILED it at soundcheck, AND at the show. He seemed a little nervous at the check, but it still sounded phenomenal. Mike seemed to be getting a little bored, and mentioned that they were cutting into the meet n greet time, which got the fans riled up. LOL

The Meet and Greet was MUCH better than I had heard, so don't be deceived, I think you just need to know how to work the situation to your advantage. I didn't say it on here, because I didn't want anyone to take my idea  LOL But I made each band member a card, with their face on it, and it expressed my thanks inside the card, with specific song references and everything I would've liked to told them if we had the time. So I got my cards in the order they were sitting (my host didn't notice yet), and as soon as the folks in front of us were done, I bolted up to the end of their line, said Hey Al! and shot down the line handing my cards out...the order went (R-L) Al, Mike,Brian (he let out this enormous shriek of excitement, it was SO unexpected!!!),David,Bruce..and by the time I got to David, the host realized what was going on and sntached them all up, she said she'd give them back afterwards, but I was leary. BUT, her taking the time to re-collect the cards bought me about 30 extra seconds to talk with the boys and I tell ya, it was worth it!!! Bruce talked to me the most. Him and Al swore they had met me before, I explained that I had seen the Mike and Bruce show once, but they still said they knew me! LOL I wore the blue 50 shirt, avaliable on the site, not the tour, my blue hawaiian shirt, and my beach boys surf board good vibrations box set pin. Mike noticed all this and leaned back and said "Hey Man, nice shirts, I dig the pin too." YES! ONE of them noticed!!! LOL Then just before the picture was snapped, I patted Brian on the shoulder and said, Brian thank you so much, and he said "oh yeah sure man!" Which was more than I expected. Wink As we were essentially kicked out, Mike said see ya later, David thanked me for the card, and Bruce pulled me back- shook my hand, and said, thank YOU!

Moral of the story: Make them things and they will talk to you. Grin

So, that was backstage, because soundcheck was done only like 10 mins before the gates opened, so when we were let out from the meet n greet, we ended up back in the waiting area from before soundcheck...perfect time for the merch booth! LOL The VIP merch that you receive isn't as lame as everyone says. The poster is the best part, probably 11x17, with the five silouettes holding the surf board at the top, it lists al ltheir names has the beach boys logo, and lists all the cities. I'm sorry, but I will not be selling my second poster.  Embarrassed The tote bag is pretty cool, it is black and has the brother records logo. The shirt is sorta lame...plain white, with The Beach Boys 50 logo in Gold. So, I bought the T-Shirt with the pocket logo and the dates, the standard program, and Al's CD signed.

There are more shirts there, than on the site. They were all $30 from what I saw. The program was $20. They had a poster, but it is so lame...I don't know why anyone would buy it. They have a large rubber bracelet/wrist band for $10, it is yellow and has the logo in white. They have the mug for $20 and the keychain for $15...I think that is everything. We asked again about the signed items...they said they would have the 10 for $100 bundle deal at intermission, along with the signed program. I didn't buy either, but my understanding based off others dissapointment, is that all were sold out by the end of intermission...nice marketing Mr. Love  Cool

The show itself, started EARLY! Brian walked out to his chair on the not-so-hidden, side of the stage at 7:40...by 7:47, all of the band/boys were on either sides of the stage, and then the announcer started up! So by 7:52 they were out, and started "Do it Again" there is an 11PM curfew at Merriweather, so that may have had something to do with it, they were done at 10:57. Oh, and we scored 2nd row Center stage, DEAD center in front of Mike. Unbelievable.

I'll give brief commentary on the songs...

Do It Again (Fantastic. Has potential to be a corny opener, but is not- at all.)
Little Honda (I prefer Catch a Wave second, but this sounded great too.)
Catch A Wave (Such a full sound, I think the guy next to me was shocked I knew the words and had the range to do Mike's part. LOL )
Hawaii (Another spot on song, Foskett really nails the falsetto. David's lead vox are nice! Sounds like 1963!)
Don't Back Down (Don't really care for this one...but it works in the live setting with the surf songs.)
Surfin' Safari (The place goes NUTS! Standing Ovation, Mike tells us to sit down because they've got a slow one next.)
Surfer Girl (Brian's first lead of the evening, and it sounded gorgeous, no blips or mess ups at all.)
Wendy (A surprise to me! Bruce took the leads and sounded fantastic! I think Mike noticed my lap drumming.)
Then I Kissed Her (Totten's 12-string sounded out of tune, but I think he stopped playing after the intro. AL sounded nice!)
It's OK (A little slow, but a nice rocker for the set and a favorite of mine, Mike and eye made eye contact a few times, I'm certain he was watching me sing!)
This Whole World ( I just LOST it! I thought for sure I wouldn't hear this. I had hands in the air, singing the lyrics, watching Brian, I admittedley teared up during this one.
Kiss Me Baby (Not a favorite of mine...sounded nice tho...gave me time to collect myself after This Whole World. LOL )
Isn't It Time (They need to work out a more obvious intro for Brian. Foskett is doubling the lead with him and Brian came in a bar early, and it was very noticeable, I was afraid they were going to stop for a second. But they made it through, and I loved it overall! Mike staring his lyric sheet down most of the time...)
Why Do Fools Fall In Love? (The accapella at the beginning of this is gorgeous, just simply grand. Reading the other sets, I was put off by a cover, especially sung by one of the other guys in the band, but this is really a great addition.)
When I Grow Up To Be A Man (This one was just funny...AL was laughing quite a bit, we made some eye contact during it.
Darlin' (FANTASTIC! I gave him a standing ovation, and a few followed my lead. Based off soundcheck, it seemed like he just needs some support and encouragement that this is a good idea and it is ok. I'm sure he is intimidated being one of the few non-beach boys that gets a lead.)
Please Let Me Wonder (Brian nailed it. It really sounded like 60's Brian and I loved it.  Cheesy )
Be True To Your School (Mike did the whole down on his knee bit, and I got some hillarious pictures of him, of Al rolling his eyes, and Bruce mocking him. Near the end of the song, I flashed my class ring up, and Mike gave me a point  Cheesy )
Cottonfields (THis went over REALLY well! I guess the sorta-southern Maryland crowd let their country side show...but we're from Baltimore. LOL )
Disney Girls (Beautiful, a highpoint in the evening. I noticed that they've put some extra rest measures at the end of phrases.)
Ballad Of Ole' Betsy (Totten did great with this. My Grandmother's Jeep is nick-named "Betsy", so we love this one.  Grin )
Don't Worry Baby (Foskett nails it, crowd goes nuts.)
Little Deuce Coupe (Car medley was EPIC!)
409 (Proof that at least Al read my card to him: I specifically mentioned the solo on 409 to Al, and after him and David finished it, Al looked RIGHT at me, extended his arm and smiled in a "there ya go! type fashion...highlight of the evening. Grin )
Shut Down
I Get Around
-----------------------
Add Some Music To Your Day (Kodak moment ofthe evening...simply beautiful, brought tears again! Sunlfower has that effect...)
Heroes And Villains (Groooovy, loved all the accapella, especially the SMiLE ending)
California Saga: California (More proof from AL: I specifically mentioned this one and right as it started he did the same gesture to me...Thanks Al!!!)
Sloop John B (Fantastic, Brian encouraged us to clap and even danced in his seat a little bit!)
Wouldn't It Be Nice? (Bruce got us all on our feet, and it was great!)
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (Vocal Highlight of the evening from Brian! Very touching)
Sail On, Sailor (More wicked moves from Brian  Cheesy )
In My Room (Mike pulled his phone out and waved it to get everyone else to, I was one of the first and he pointed at mine  Grin )
All This Is That (I don't care for this one much...but it sounded just llike the record.)
That's Why God Made The Radio (Again- JUST like the record. I caught Totten watching me sing along...he was probably floored that I knew the words.)
Forever (Beautiful tributes, simple beautiful.)
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations (I think this would be better suited as the opener of the encore...but it was still amazing, everyone was on their feet from here, through the end.)
California Girls (Mike's moves... LOL  ANd Bruce's tag at the end was GREAT!)
All Summer Long (A nice unexpected ditty, wasn't sure if it would be played or not!)
Help Me Rhonda (The place went nuts! Very cool moment for me with Mike, when they do the accapella break down and have everyone sing a long, I did Mike's "help Me Rhoooon mow mow mow, parts and him and I were locking on doing that back and forth...TOO COOL!!!)
Rock And Roll Music (I could do without the covers...but these two kept the crowd rocking!)
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' USA (Killer closer for this monster set!)
-----------------------
Kokomo (This sounded kinda bare...I could really do without it, but it is a real crowd pleaser. Sax solo was killer tho!)
Barbara Ann  (Random Blonde Girl came out and started dancing...Brian on bass, got a great picture of him with a grin ear to ear!)
Fun, Fun, Fun (Epic closing. Mike Love did all the moves I was waiting for (Especially the roman chariot race...hiiyah!) I made a sign that siad "Thanks For The FUN! FUN!! FUN!!!" and held that up on the last chorus, Mike looked right at me, pointed, and gave two thumbs up...Perfect way to end this night!)

So if you have not yet seen this show...you are in for a treat...if you don't have tickets...GO MAN GO!!! Grin
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »

Incredible review, rubber soul

Really cool idea making the cards, I'm sure they really appreciate things like that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 09:53:37 AM »

I think the girl who came on stage was Ambha Love, Mike's daughter. Someone on Facebook pointed that out. Sound like you had a blast!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »

@RubberSoul13: thanks for that, you must have hade the time of your love.  Smiley

Here's to hoping all this carries over to Europe.
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 10:06:47 AM »

Oh, and we scored 2nd row Center stage, DEAD center in front of Mike. Unbelievable.

You must have been right behind me!  I was the guy in the plain white shirt and jeans somewhere between Mike and Al.  Thankfully, I wasn't connected to the group with the really drunk bad dancing guy.   Grin

I do feel like I got some looks from the band (especially when I'd be singing along with the backing harmonies and not the lead,) but of course - they're performers...it's their job to engage the audience. 

Anyhow, here's all the pictures I took up in a gallery...enjoy!  http://atroxi.smugmug.com/Music/When-Around-The-Corner-Came/23596970_Ld8wrk  I didn't go through and tweak or take out the blurry shots, so that's why there's some not-so-good pics in there.  I also wasn't going to be the guy running left, right and center in front of everyone to get pics.

At some point, I'll write up a coherent review - but I've got to get on the road to Camden!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:08:14 AM by atroxi » Logged
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »

What an amazing show.

Less amazing: Brian's cough on the first part of H&V!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

They changed the lyrics to "Isn't It Time" for tonight's show...

I may have a copy liberated from the stage..... :-)

I'd love to know how the other lyrics went

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »

Why would they change the lyrics to a song on the new album?  I'd be curious to see what they are and also to know who wrote them and who it was that made it an issue to the point they actually changed them.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »

Why would they change the lyrics to a song on the new album?  I'd be curious to see what they are and also to know who wrote them and who it was that made it an issue to the point they actually changed them.

Maybe they're doing some re-recording on it for a single release.

The NPR show seems to suggest that new instrumental overdubs have been recorded.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »

Very curious to know why they changed the lyrics.. what are the changes? did anyone hear?

Also, will there ever be a video of Hawaii ??
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »

I'll scan it when (if) I escape New Jersey tonight, but from memory...

"...and as the sun goes down, another day's behind us. Let's spend the night together. Isn't it time we get ready again, isn't it time to be lovers again."
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »

Huh, weird.. wonder what happened or who thought of that.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

The NPR show seems to suggest that new instrumental overdubs have been recorded.

Now that's a cool thought. I like the new lyrics better.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »

Are you meaning Dave singing it this tour? If so here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hqoVFAmEX8
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »

I'll scan it when (if) I escape New Jersey tonight, but from memory...

"...and as the sun goes down, another day's behind us. Let's spend the night together. Isn't it time we get ready again, isn't it time to be lovers again."

That is correct, and I'm not sure why the change...no one seemed to be happy about  Huh
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »

Oh, and we scored 2nd row Center stage, DEAD center in front of Mike. Unbelievable.

You must have been right behind me!  I was the guy in the plain white shirt and jeans somewhere between Mike and Al.  Thankfully, I wasn't connected to the group with the really drunk bad dancing guy.   Grin

I do feel like I got some looks from the band (especially when I'd be singing along with the backing harmonies and not the lead,) but of course - they're performers...it's their job to engage the audience. 

Anyhow, here's all the pictures I took up in a gallery...enjoy!  http://atroxi.smugmug.com/Music/When-Around-The-Corner-Came/23596970_Ld8wrk  I didn't go through and tweak or take out the blurry shots, so that's why there's some not-so-good pics in there.  I also wasn't going to be the guy running left, right and center in front of everyone to get pics.

At some point, I'll write up a coherent review - but I've got to get on the road to Camden!

Haha, yes, I was directly behind them. While the drunk dancing was horrible, that family seemed to have the time of their lives, it was fun watching them dance at times...actually it was fun watching Mike and Al, watching them. LOL

Gald you got some looks too! They were certainly engage with us quite a lot! I know Al remembered me, Mike...probably...maybe. Either way, it was a lot of interaction that I wasn't even expecting.

Did you do the front row package...or are you just lucky? LOL Nice pics btw! I'll have mine up soon.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »

Now that's a cool thought. I like the new lyrics better.

I can't imagine why else you would bother.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

I thought the original lyrics were a metaphor for the band relationship, or perhaps the Brian and Mike relationship.  Maybe they wanted to put a different slant on it.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »

Are you meaning Dave singing it this tour? If so here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hqoVFAmEX8

Thank you my friend! kisses on your cheeks for that.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:57:28 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »

Wow - three songs by backup band members.... good thing the tickets cost so much to see that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 05:14:06 AM »

I don't like that part in the song very much. I think it takes too much away from the groove and doesn't fit in well.
Also I don't like the "raise a glass to kindness" lyrics very much so it's interesting that they changed them.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 05:24:38 AM »

I don't like that part in the song very much. I think it takes too much away from the groove and doesn't fit in well.

I think it's the best part and what makes the song unique, without it, song would just sound just like another 80's stuff without any interesting parts.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx