-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:20:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Republicans vs. Democrats
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Republicans vs. Democrats  (Read 10688 times)
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »

I'm a political scientist (and former musician). The debate between the Mike-haters and the Mike-defenders seems to parallel liberal-conservative (Democrat-Republic) divide in our country politically. On both topics, people seem to have almost primordial beliefs that rarely change, and, if they do, only over the long-run through a growth process. For anyone on the old newsgroups, think of "Jeffy" who started out as a major Mike defender obsessed with the early tunes but switched "teams" as he matured (I think he runs the yahoo group to this day).

There is some evidence that liberals and conservatives react very differently to positive and negative stimuli, liberals focusing on the positive and conservatives, the negative. This can, perhaps, be extended to explain reactionary responses to change among some conservatives (by definition, conservatives prefer the status quo).

I have no idea where the various Boys or their fans can be placed on a two-dimensional ideological continuum, but my guess is that Bruce and Mike would be to the right of Brian and Al. My further conjecture is that those who who largely would give Brian the credit for what the Beach Boys have accomplished musically, and those who also wish to emphasize Mike's role would also fall to the left and right, respectively.

Maybe I should conduct an online survey.

SBonilla
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »

It gets nasty and stinky in here when topics like this are brought up.

Be like The Miminalist and give us some good recipe options.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

I should probably add, in defense of conservatives, that there is also some evidence that conservatives have a broader view of what constitutes morality, including incorporating a kind of purity into their view of what is morally correct. Deviation from the purity is wrong, in this view.

"Disney Girls" anyone?
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »

If you're a Mike "hater" then you're definitely reacting to negative stimuli. So there goes that theory in this context right?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »

Oh my, this thread is hilarious.  How can Mike be a negative conservative, when he's 'Mr. Positivity" and thinks any songs that are even slightly depressing are worth blowing your brains out over?  How can Brian be a positive liberal if he wrote "Till I Die" ? 

It's possible that the whole world isn't black and white, and not everybody fits into a little box you can write off as 'liberal' or 'conservative' so therefore they must be wrong. 
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 12:49:28 PM »

I think the problem with the analogy is that Republicans and Democrats are both part of the same two-headed authoritarian monster, which is neither liberal or conservative.  I think a better comparison for the two parties is Bruce's apparent split personality disorder. Wink
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:49:15 PM »

ML and Bill O'Reilly are best buds, so I guess my vote would go to democrats based on that fact alone. I'm Norwegian so my 2 cents mean nothing anyway. We love our Godless social democracy ^^
SBonilla
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »

ML and Bill O'Reilly are best buds, so I guess my vote would go to democrats based on that fact alone. I'm Norwegian so my 2 cents mean nothing anyway. We love our Godless social democracy ^^
Let's go Norway!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »

It gets nasty and stinky in here when topics like this are brought up.

Yes.  Very much so.  In fact, so stinky on political threads like this one that invariably the ban hammer will come out.

I'm already looking to pounce any minute now.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

Clearly, this is not the place for theory and empirically-guided hypotheses.

Thank God I mostly live in a peer-reviewed universe.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »

It's possible that the whole world isn't black and white, and not everybody fits into a little box you can write off as 'liberal' or 'conservative' so therefore they must be wrong. 

Ron, you may wish to look up the word "continuum."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »

Aren't you kind of the one utlizing that, though? 

Republican = Bad

People you don't like = Bad

Therefore they must be Republican

Honestly; it takes a moron to believe something like that. 
SBonilla
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »

Ladies and gentleman, this is a one round match. thirty hour time limit. No hitting below the belt. And no stopping on cuts or blood. Ding♫
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaand a left to the right! And a right to the left! Then a left uppercunnt to the chin followed by an overhand right to the snot locker!  Oh my, this one may not go the distance!!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:08:52 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SBonilla
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaand a right to the left! And a left to the right! A left uppercunnt to the chin followed by an overhand right to the snot locker!!!  Oh my, this one may not go the distance!

Luchin' Libres Batman! Mikie, do you remember Hank Renner on Channel 40? Kenji Shibuya, Pat Pattersen, Pepper Gomez and all the rest?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »

Hey man, I go back to Captain Sacto!   I do remember Pepper Gomez, though. Guy was a wrestler that had a stomach of iron! And yep, Pat Patterson too.

This is Dave Preston reporting, KTXL Channel 40 total information!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:19:54 PM by Mikie » Logged

SBonilla
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »

Hey man, I go back to Captain Sacto!   I do remember Pepper Gomez, though. Guy was a wrestler that had a stomach of iron! And yep, Pat Patterson too.

This is Dave Preston reporting, KTXL Channel 40 total information!
Ha! Cap'n Delta's youngest son was in my band. He's in Hollywood doing film scores and string quartet rock tribute albums. And.....Tiny Moore (Merle Haggard, Bob Wills) has a kids show there, Ranger Roy and Anna Banana! I bought my Guild Starfire IV from him. But, yea, Captain Sacto. was my fave.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »

I remember Captain Delta!  And there was another guy - I think on Channel 40 for awhile - named Cap'n Mitch. He had a treasure chest.

Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »

Well hijacked, my friends!
Jason
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »

Comparing Republicans to Democrats is like comparing red apples to green apples; they're basically the same smelly apple but one has a different color. Truthfully, the United States has a one-party system - the "Big Government" party. There is a Democratic wing that hates the idea of personal liberty and a Republican wing that hates the idea of civil liberty. People who play partisan politics are wasting their time and only making themselves look like idiots in the process.

The big one today is "gay marriage". Personally, I'm all for it. Marriage is a contract that two people enter into by voluntary association. I would also argue for polyamorous/polygamist marriage, too. If all parties are willing participants, there should be NO ARGUMENT. I think government involvement in marriage complicates the issue to a great extent; I believe government should recognize all contracts or recognize none at all. Same with marriage. The government has no business taking any kind of stand or position with regard to the definition of marriage. All manner of civil unions and marriages should be done privately and without government regulation or oversight; I go against the libertarian grain who claim that it's a states' rights issue. Get the government out of marriage. Now, a few weeks ago, President Barry Soetoro made public his "support" of gay marriage. All well and good if it wasn't such an obvious fucking political ploy to get the LGBT vote; I found his stance so sickeningly disingenuous that it was a wonder so much of the LGBT community took him seriously (I know of a few gay folks who thought he was blowing steam out of his ass). That should be proof positive that Democrats don't care any more about legalizing gay marriage than Republicans do about banning abortion.

People go on and on about how Obama is not Dubya and thank the maker for it; I honestly can't tell much of a difference between the two except for the respective (D) and (R) after their names (although I've jokingly referred to Obama as "Bush 3.0"). Both are complete warmongers (and they're in good company with every president since 1945, who should all be tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity and promptly hung for it), both are welfarists, both refuse to let the free market work, both insist on legislation to address social issues that could be resolved with LESS legislation, and both are Zionists sending this country even further into the toilet with their anti-freedom, anti-liberty, and corporatist plutocracy. In short, two sides of the same coin.

Now it's down to Dear Leader Barry Soetoro, Dear Leader Candidate Mittens R. Money, and Libertarian Presidential Candidates Ron Paul and Gary Johnson. The first two should be kept as far away from the presidency as possible; the latter two are most qualified to hold the office. I'm an anarchist; if you can't eliminate government, make it as small as possible. Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are the only two candidates who have the drive to actually get the process rolling more than it already has.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:51:38 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »

Frankly, i'm with Bill Hicks on this one. Nobody who wants to be President should be allowed to be President.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »

Frankly, i'm with Bill Hicks on this one. Nobody who wants to be President should be allowed to be President.

Bill Hicks is the greatest comedian! imo
Their are others too, but he's my favorite.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »

Bill Hicks is the greatest comedian! imo
Their are others too, but he's my favorite.

Fortunate to see him live when I was much younger. Just happened into the local comedy club for the one and only time.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 10:31:58 PM »

What about people who like Brian Wilson but appreciate what Mike Love did for the band?  Or people who kind of feel sorry for Mike even if they don't like some of the things he's done in private or as a member of the Beach Boys?  Or who feel the same way about Brian, that he hasn't always been perfect and has done cheesy/bad music at times in the Beach Boys and a solo and also isn't an angel in private?  I don't all fans are that polarized by the Mike versus Brian thing the way some fans are. 

I'm sure there are even Democrats who enjoy Kokomo and right-wing Republicans who like Smile.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 07:33:23 AM »

i need to point out that both Dem and Reps desire to use the violence of the state in order to get their needs met (they vote for folks who essentially use a gun to tell everyone what to do), and that both groups LOVE WARS and will defend them, as long as their favorite demagogue tells them it's okay. So, yeah, not really the kind of thinking that's ever gonna get humans anywhere constructive.
Coke or Pepsi
Bears or Packers
Gay or straight
Divide and conquer is the name of the game. And people slurp it right up.
sad
If you want to divide people up, how about the Constructive Class (those in the free market voluntarily exchanging goods and services) and the Parasite Class (those in government jobs who use force in the form of taxes to make people do as they wish), 'cos at least there is a difference between them, unlike the D and R example..

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: