gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:53:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Peter Ames Carlin Thread  (Read 215369 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2006, 02:19:48 PM »

I like Kokomo. I like the Archies. Does that make me a mindless sheep? I hate mindless sheep, but I guess I'm being hypocritical.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2006, 03:00:48 PM »

Good records by a major band on a major label don't stall at #151, even if the company isn't promoting it much.

I'd agree with this wholeheartedly, but then I think of SUNFLOWER...

Um.

Er.

The exception that proves the rule ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2006, 03:58:01 PM »

Good records by a major band on a major label don't stall at #151, even if the company isn't promoting it much.

Um.

Er.

Grin

So why the fear that other readers are somehow less able to do the same thing? Even if they haven't heard 'MIU,' say, they surely have heard enough of the other BB/BW ouevre to figure out where they agree/disagree with my analyses. And if they think that I'm usually full of crap, then they can proceed through the unknown terrain confident that my compass points south virtually all of the time. That's how I read a lot of critics. You're free to read me like that, too.
Heck, some people may read that and say..."if that album sucks THAT bad, I MUST hear it, just to see how bad it is." Then they might be pleasantly surprised.  Undecided

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2006, 04:59:09 PM »

Um.

Er.

Grin

So why the fear that other readers are somehow less able to do the same thing? Even if they haven't heard 'MIU,' say, they surely have heard enough of the other BB/BW ouevre to figure out where they agree/disagree with my analyses. And if they think that I'm usually full of crap, then they can proceed through the unknown terrain confident that my compass points south virtually all of the time. That's how I read a lot of critics. You're free to read me like that, too.
Heck, some people may read that and say..."if that album sucks THAT bad, I MUST hear it, just to see how bad it is." Then they might be pleasantly surprised.  Undecided

Or if all they've heard before is Summer In Paradise......in which case it will sound like a work of genius .....(well, no it won't, but it will sound better than hearing it in the right order!)
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2006, 07:07:26 PM »

Um.

Er.

Cheesy

Glenn
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2006, 10:20:56 PM »

Where I was back on page 6 of the thread:
Got mine today, at least the Borders stores in NJ seem to have it.  Just getting started going through it at lunch. So far it's a very good quick read, solid reportage, scrupulously sympathetic to all concerned without any whitewash or fan-based sucking up.   So here's another testimonial for you.   (EDIT:)  Now halfway through, up to the Smile fallout.  All I said still goes.  NOW THE FINAL EDIT: Done.  It's all good.  I esp. like how the remaining psychological threads are all tied together in the final pages, the survivors' careful "dancing around" to avoid more fights, Mike's blunderbuss approach, the fights that still continue, the closing of the Smile tour and that chapter in their lives.  A nice package.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2006, 04:25:14 PM »

My copy finally showed up in the mail today. I preordered the book from Amazon back in April -- after this experience, I won't be preordering anything from them again.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2006, 07:02:34 AM »

My copy finally showed up in the mail today. I preordered the book from Amazon back in April -- after this experience, I won't be preordering anything from them again.

That is terrible, Emdeeh.  I ordered mine from Amazon on Tuesday of last week and it arrived just a few days later -- on Friday!  And this was with free shipping.  It doesn't make any sense that it took so long to get your copy out.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2006, 06:11:29 AM »

Same here. I pre-ordered way back when it was first listed and only got it this Tuesday, while Borders and even Best Buy had it on the shelves for over a week.

Up to Pet Sounds era. So far, so good. Amusing anecdotes of Brian in his school days. This is a terrific read. Well done, sir.
MBE
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2006, 07:21:46 AM »

This is good finally got it a few days ago too from Amazon who were very late. I feel he makes Brian more "real" then other books.  Peter two questions, I though the Kalinich LP was only one album cut in 69. Can you fill us in on the two albums what the difference was when the second was cut etc? Also you mention Murry's weight gain in the 70s. I have never seen a picture of him past 66-7. Where did you see an older Murry?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2006, 10:01:03 AM »

I preordered mine from Tower, two days ago I got an email saying it was backordered!  I cancelled the order and went to my local Borders and bought it.  I've just glanced through the SMile sections, and I have a bunch of questions, mainly to do with chronology, but it's well written.  What came through to me was Mike's continuing anger and resentment towards Brian, whether it was not crediting Mike with song lyrics, or paying Brian monies from touring while he stayed at home (under Landy's care), or, at the end of the book, with Brian making money off of a "Beach Boys" project, Smile.  That guy's got issues!
MBE
« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2006, 05:01:19 PM »

Reading about Mike's childhood may explain some of the issues. It did for me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2006, 01:48:07 AM »

Just the one album, titled A World Of Peace Must Come, which includes the track "America, I Know You".

MBE
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2006, 11:06:02 PM »

Thanks Andrew I thought that was what Kalinich told me too. I have to dig up our interview.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2006, 01:04:22 AM »

Sorry if I seemed a bit terse - yesterday was not a good day.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2006, 01:14:11 AM »

Didn't seem terse at all, buddy!

Have you heard of any of the Kalinich material yourself? How is it?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2006, 08:26:05 AM »

Peter,

On page 92 you say that the first thing Brian asked Van Dyke, before even their first night of collaboration, was to finish the unfinished lyrics for Good Vibrations.  Specifically, was that Tony Asher's unfinished lyrics for Good Vibrations then?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2006, 08:50:11 AM »

Since when is sharing correct info being terse? Seemed pretty straight forward to me. Sorry your day wasn't good... dude.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2006, 08:57:57 AM »

Andrew, I've seen you sounding much terser!  Wink
P.S.: do I get any kind of award for worse grammatically-constructed sentence?

Craig
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »

P.S.: do I get any kind of award for worse grammatically-constructed sentence?

Craig

Maybe I will for THIS sentence (i.e. "worse" instead of "worst")...

Craig
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2006, 03:42:53 PM »

Didn't seem terse at all, buddy!

Have you heard of any of the Kalinich material yourself? How is it?

Ummmmmm... interesting. Yeah, that's the word.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2006, 03:46:58 PM »

Since when is sharing correct info being terse? Seemed pretty straight forward to me. Sorry your day wasn't good... dude.

Well, when I re-read it, it looked to me like I was sitting on my high horse and saying "Carlin - yer wrong !".  Like I never made a mistake in BB history, right ?

Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »

Hey guys: Regarding Kalinich and the album(s) he may or may not have made with Brian. The two albums worth of material reference is based on my conversations with SK himself, who was speaking (I think, based on memory, not the notes of our conversations) of stuff they did from the late '60s through the early '70s and maybe beyond. Whether they had ever titled, sequenced or even fancied the second lp's worth of stuff as an actual album isn't swimming back into my memory just now. But what I heard was very weird and cool and, no disrespect to SK's poetry intended, but, if you just pulled out Brian's music and played that by itself....well, it was pretty abstract and strange and yet also Brian-esque and kind of mind-boggling. In my memory.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »

if you just pulled out Brian's music and played that by itself....well, it was pretty abstract and strange and yet also Brian-esque and kind of mind-boggling. In my memory.

Similar at all in quality to, say, "My Solution" or the "Fairytale" stuff?
MBE
« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2006, 10:02:16 PM »

Thanks Peter for the responce. I know I mentioned this earlier but I am real curious about what Murry looked like in the 70s. Did you see any pictures to base your description of him in his final years?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx