gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:20:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Peter Ames Carlin Thread  (Read 216524 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2006, 05:42:18 PM »

Don't feel bad, neither have I.  But soon, I will have it!

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2006, 09:19:20 AM »

Ordered your book today, and Iīm really looking forward to it. I havenīt read any other BB-book yet, but judging from the reviews, this one looks "essential".

P.S. They said it will be delivered in about 7 - 15 days.  Roll Eyes Canīt wait til the bottle crossed the ocean.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2006, 01:05:32 PM »

Saw the book in Borders today (along with, for the first time anywhere, the GV single!) but couldn't buy since I'm still waiting for Amazon to get the lead out.

RRRRRRR.... Angry
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2006, 04:48:49 PM »

I bought it at Barnes and Noble today.

I'll cancel my order at Buy.com.

Glenn
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2006, 08:55:50 AM »

When my copy finally arrives (assuming it does--bloody Buy.com still hasn't shipped it!), will there be any reason to also get a copy of the Stephen Gaines book, "Heroes and Villains"?

Yes! It's a throughly good read and though it is a little dated and a little National Enquirer-esq, it is one of the best books. Especially the first two chapters on Dennis. It was the first book I bought on the Boys and I still go back and read it once in while!

Go to www.beachboys.com for a full review!  Grin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 08:58:11 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2006, 07:20:12 PM »

When my copy finally arrives (assuming it does--bloody Buy.com still hasn't shipped it!), will there be any reason to also get a copy of the Stephen Gaines book, "Heroes and Villains"?

Yes! It's a throughly good read and though it is a little dated and a little National Enquirer-esq, it is one of the best books. Especially the first two chapters on Dennis. It was the first book I bought on the Boys and I still go back and read it once in while!

Go to www.beachboys.com for a full review!  Grin

Thanks!

Glenn
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2006, 07:28:37 PM »

Mr. Carlin--

I was flipping through your book last night and ended up reading the section on the Surf's Up album and the work that went into completing the title track.

You wrote that the second half of the 1971 version of the song, the part with Brian on lead vocals, was culled from the "Inside Pop" TV special from 1966.  But I've read accounts that state this wasn't the case--that the 1966 recording of Brian playing the song on piano (the full version of which appeared on the Good Vibrations box set) was actually recorded AFTER the TV special was filmed.  That seems right to my ears--the Inside Pop performance, which I've seen via the "American Band" documentary, doesn't sound like the same performance as the one included in the box set.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Glenn
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2006, 07:55:49 PM »

I finally got my copy from Amazon today, I'm happy to report.

Time to dig in!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2006, 09:31:21 PM »

I just breezed through the first 52 pages, which makes up the first three chapters.  So far it's very entertaining and I'm just lovin' it.  Thank you Peter.  I thought I knew it all, and learned some new things.  I like how fast it's moving..  in Tim White's "The Nearest Faraway Place," Brian isn't even born until about page 170 or so.   

My only gripe so far is the glaring omission of Mike Love's contribution to the Beach Boys through co-writing with Brian.  Peter talks about Gary Usher and Roger Christian..  but no mention at all of Mike helping out.  Now I'm not a Mike fan at all..  but all he gets (so far) is how he shared writing credits with Brian on "Surfin'" and helped Brian with the lyrics of "Don't Back Down."  Heck, Peter talks more about Bruce Springsteen then Mike assisting Brian with songs.. no mention of helping with "Warmth of the Sun" or anything.

Other than that, this book is awesome.  I didn't know the band auditioned for Al Jardine's mom for extra money to rent instruments when the Wilsons were out of town.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2006, 09:32:10 PM »

Mr. Carlin--

I was flipping through your book last night and ended up reading the section on the Surf's Up album and the work that went into completing the title track.

You wrote that the second half of the 1971 version of the song, the part with Brian on lead vocals, was culled from the "Inside Pop" TV special from 1966.  But I've read accounts that state this wasn't the case--that the 1966 recording of Brian playing the song on piano (the full version of which appeared on the Good Vibrations box set) was actually recorded AFTER the TV special was filmed.  That seems right to my ears--the Inside Pop performance, which I've seen via the "American Band" documentary, doesn't sound like the same performance as the one included in the box set.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Both the performance that appeared on air and the studio recording were recorded "for" inside pop.  That is to say, Brian recorded the CBS piano/double-tracked vocal that Steve and Carl used for the Surf's Up LP under the "guise" of the TV special.  However, there are some who think that was simultaneously an experiment to see if Brian could go solo.

But no, the performance that ended up airing is not the performance that was commited to tape and brought in as part 2 of Surf's Up in 71.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2006, 09:46:53 PM »

Okay guys, let me to try to figure this out.

Regarding "Surf's Up" : I'll defer to Aeijtzsche on that one....if only because I may have goofed up what I wrote. I think I knew that the version on the record was not the version on the tv special. But if it didn't come out that way in print, I blew it somehow. Sorry about that.

Regarding Mike: Read on, man. I give MIke all credit for 'TWOTS," and the other great lyrics he contributed. Just as he give him full credit for the stuff he was involved in that was less great. Lawsuits, and so forth.

And can I just add that I'm thrilled you guys are reading the book, and responding to it, and etc?  And I'm pre-emptively sorry for whatever other mistakes are in there?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2006, 03:23:26 AM »

However, there are some who think that was simultaneously an experiment to see if Brian could go solo.

I guess some forgot about "Caroline, No" earlier in that year.  Razz

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2006, 05:09:29 AM »

No mention of the Today album?  Brian's first masterpiece?
Unreal.

I can't wait until my work day is done so I can go home and read some more.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2006, 06:18:53 AM »

Mr Carlin,

I'm 70 pages into the book, and really enjoying it.  Thanks so much.  I'm curious about your pages on the infamous "Rhonda" session.  There are a few details that you describe that compelled me to pull out the tape and listen again.  Without spoiling anything, I had never picked up on the Loren-related stuff that occurs, but sure enough there it is.  Did you piece together the events just by reviewing the recording, or did you get specific recollections through your interviews regarding that session? 

Again, thanks very much!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2006, 06:28:31 AM »

Bought it at Borders yesterday, apparently they've had it for a while.

Although I ordinarily have some restraint and try to read a book through without skipping around, I just could  not do that with this one.  Guess I was eager for some kind of revelation, something I didn't know.   And I found some interesting passages, new twists on the old story here and there.

I have to say it is generaly a good  read and well crafted.

And Peter, I had been wondering how you managed to get to a place where you could get those interviews and have access to archives and anecdotes yet unpublished.  I didn't know you were an established writer and journalist who had already written about the band.

You did a great job for someone whose interest in the band  came on the heels of the release of Endless Summer.

I'm looking forward to sitting back this weekend for a couple of hours and really digging into the book.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2006, 08:34:06 AM »

Hi Peter.. another question..   

During the part on the Rhonda section, you mention Lorren..  but a few pages later, Lorren says he met Brian through Tony Asher.. who Brian didn't meet until later that year.

You were write to point out later, the contradiction between Lorren's and Brian's stories on his early drug use.. though most of the time I'll tend to believe anyone but Brian because of how often he changes his story or says something we all know to be false.
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2006, 09:41:39 AM »

Just got it yesterday, I'm really excited as this book looks like it's going to be fantastic!!!
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2006, 11:28:31 AM »

Hi TV: The assertion that Loren met Brian through Tony comes directly from Loren. I figured he was the best resource on that, so there it is. And I think Brian had met and chatted briefly with Tony at Western months before they actually sat down and started working together. So maybe that's the confusion?
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2006, 12:25:02 PM »

Lorren is a pretty shady dude..   but I can already tell this is one of those books where I'm going to hope it never ends.  The brief run through of Wilson family history was a lot more entertaining and memorable then Tim White's 100 page account of the lives of Brian's great great great great great great great great grandpa.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2006, 02:32:05 PM »

Peter, just into the first chapter today and love it. But on another topic, what did you do to get Bill O'reilly mad at you today? He said some nasty stuff about you on his radio program.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2006, 05:11:34 PM »

Hi Dave: It's my dayjob. I'm a tv critic, and wrote a piece about Fox News (pegged to a press conference I attended here in L.A., a long story) that noted, in passing, that O'Reilly will on occasion make personal attacks on people. That made him angry, so now he's apparently callling me names (which he actually did another time a few years ago).

But I hadn't heard this time around. What'd he say?
Wilsonista
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2006, 05:19:13 PM »

Just writing my new favorite book on Brian Wilson would have been enough to make you my new hero. But inciting the ire of  Bill O'Rielly?  That elevates you to sainthood! Rock!

I bet Bill's too chickenshit to have you on his show.  Smiley
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2006, 06:34:21 PM »

I dunno. Seems weird to me that he would defend himself against my observation about his making personal attacks by launching a personal attack against me. I mean....cognitive dissonance.

I don't like it when Keith Olbermann does it, either, btw. He was goofing with an O'Reilly mask here the other day, and did a Nazi salute. Not funny, by my estimation. Like, it's so easy to rip on O'Reilly. And that's the best you can come up with?
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »

I got the book in my local Borders today.  It seems like an excellent, very thoroughly written work and I very much look forward to settling down to read it.  I was very annoyed, however, to read how much some later BB albums -- especially M.I.U. -- were trashed in the book.  For the life of me I cannot understand why a biographer would be so dismissive of his subject's work (especially given that Brian contributed, or co-contributed, 8 songs to MIU).  Believe it or not, there are a number of BW/BB fans who really love MIU (myself included).  Just check out the MIU review thread on this site and you'll find out.

I've seen this phenomenon in a number of biographies -- for example, Matthew Bruccoli dismissing many of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories, Joseph McBride trashing 1941, Always, and Hook (three of my favorite Spielberg movies).  If you're going to write a book about someone, certainly you should say if their work flopped (as MIU did).  But why write a lengthy screed about how crappy it is?

That complaint aside, as I said, I look forward to the book and based on my perusal so far it appears to be very well-researched and written.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2006, 07:09:28 PM »

I don't like it when Keith Olbermann does it, either, btw. He was goofing with an O'Reilly mask here the other day, and did a Nazi salute. Not funny, by my estimation. Like, it's so easy to rip on O'Reilly. And that's the best you can come up with?

http://newsbusters.org/node/6605

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/565.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/living/115386991813780.xml&coll=7
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:13:08 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx