gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:40:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Peter Ames Carlin Thread  (Read 215417 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2006, 12:25:53 AM »

Phooey.  I guess we'll all be glad when it finally shows up in real life.  Thanks, H.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2006, 03:10:05 AM »

Hey, there's some really good stuff on page... why are you all looking at me like that.

And what's with the baseball bats ?  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2006, 03:59:35 AM »

It was something like, they had ordered 16, but the allocation was not available due to limited supplies, the pub. date was still listed as late July, but the book had already been shipped?  In any case, no, not a good sign when the first thing the bookstore employee says "this is weird."

Bit like the doctor holding your x-ray up to the light and going "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2006, 06:47:20 AM »

Not that I'm gloating over here with AGD you understand ... but the first shop I tried over here in the UK had it nestled nicely on the shelf (albeit in completely the wrong place !) ... and I'd worked my way though it within a 48-hour period. I loved the book - and despite a few raised eyebrows on my behalf ("All Summer Long" released in 1965 ?) I rate it right up there as one of the VERY BEST in my collection.
A fascintaing insight, covering areas not realy looked at in too much depth before ... and maybe we see a little more of the real Carl within the pages aswell.
EXCELLENT JOB Peter ... now here's hoping that Jon Stebbins book on David Marks hits the shelves in the very near future aswell !

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »

I have been checking bordersstores.com every day...the site allows you to list up to six stores; when you look up an item, a little box will indicate the availability of the item at the stores on your list.  So I checked today, and it is showing availability at 4 out of the 6 stores on my list.  I put in a hold request for the closest store; I won't be able to go there until later this evening.  So check your local Borders...they may very well have it!

ETA: don't get too happy.  The store that I had sent the hold request to didn't have it after all.  However, another store did have it and is holding a copy.
I think it's probably better to call the store directly than to go the on-line route, since then you'll know right away what the deal is.
BTW, I also checked with the local Barnes & Noble...they offered to order it for me and said I should have it in 2-3 weeks.  No thanks!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 02:03:26 PM by Margarita » Logged

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
maxfrost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »

Hey!  Just wanted to let everyone know that the Borders in Providence RI had a stack of 'em for sale today. Pick up my copy this evening and am already loving it.   
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2006, 07:55:08 AM »

To Max: Sfx: The Hallelujah Chorus.

In a related note, this Sunday's New York Times Book Review has a fairly substantial piece on the book, too. A review by Bruce Handy which is fairly positive, and says some nice things. But also some lengthy ruminations on a bunch of other topics. Also he says something he intends to be critical ("Greil Marcus would be proud") that made me feel really happy. So go figure.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:29 PM »

Still waiting on my Amazon.com order.
They are saying July 25th is the new release date.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2006, 06:35:27 PM »

Got my copy today at Borders in Lawrence, KS. They had one in the backroom.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2006, 05:40:37 AM »

I gave up on Amazon and cancelled my order there, but I do now have a copy on the way from an eBay book dealer. I got the shipping notice this morning. Can't wait to start reading this one!
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »

Got mine today, at least the Borders stores in NJ seem to have it.  Just getting started going through it at lunch. So far it's a very good quick read, solid reportage, scrupulously sympathetic to all concerned without any whitewash or fan-based sucking up.   So here's another testimonial for you.   (EDIT:)  Now halfway through, up to the Smile fallout.  All I said still goes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:12:59 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2006, 05:38:06 PM »

There are copies showing up in LA bookstores now.  Looks like the proliferation has begun...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2006, 05:40:42 PM »

Hey, there's some really good stuff on page... why are you all looking at me like that.

And what's with the baseball bats ?  Shocked

Baseballs on....baseball's on...baseball's ON....BASEBALL'S ON!!!!  LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2006, 08:16:00 PM »

proliferation? I sort of like the sound of that. No matter how sinister...

runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2006, 11:04:40 PM »

Got your book.

Maharishi gave it to me. And i wonder if it set me free. And it did... And he'll tell you "sometimes it goes real fast and other times it goes
Real slow... Any way you do it it's bound to work i know...

j/k

I'm hoping this sunday when I do some bookstore-hopping.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:11:12 PM by runalot » Logged

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2006, 05:19:21 PM »

I got an e-mail from Amazon that they shipped out my copy today!

FINALLY!
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2006, 08:18:09 PM »

Finally got mine today from B&N =)

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2006, 09:28:58 PM »

OK, read it in two sittings.

I think it's strength is in it's balanced, nuanced portrayal of everybody.  There is no villainization, only frank honesty and rather unjudgemental examinations of everybody.  In particular, Peter does a wonderful job of presenting Murry as he really was.

No shocking new twists, but I think this book is the best contextualization of the Beach Boys saga.  I would have liked to have seen more Mike, Al, and Carl, but hopefully those guys will get their own bios one of these days...

SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2006, 04:52:11 AM »

It got a very good review in today's NYT book reviews!!!

Congratulations!

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2006, 10:14:01 AM »

I guess since everybody else is weighing in I can now too. I read Peter's book more than a month ago. I must say on balance I found it to be very compelling reading. The detail freak in me was very disappointed in the amount of factual errors and chronological details that are in there. Especially in the early years. Too many of the old wrong facts and myths got presented here again. For some reason the BB's history hasn't had the same meticulous care directed at these elements as say the Beatles, Dylan or the Stones. I don't know why, but that's certainly the case. I was also feeling that Peter missed explaining the pure phenomenon of the early Beach Boys and how much Dennis' image had to do with their massive popularity at the beginning. I'm talking record sales and concert attendance due to his enormous teen-girl fan base...which was definitely the BB's most loyal. He got more fan mail than the others combined in '64 -'66. I don't think this is ever truly acknowledged... which puts the context of their early popularity onto shaky ground right from the start of the book.

The good news is it evolves into a great book after that. The middle years(Pet Sounds through Smile) is the best thing I've ever read on the period. He totally got it right. From there it reveals many details and insights about Brian and the BB's that I didn't know, or that hadn't been written about. Peter's writing is truly excellent throughout. After being annoyed and rolling my eyes alot through the first 50 pages, I was completely riveted from 1966 on. I think the one thing other than early details that grated on me, was that on balance Dennis comes off as a creepier person than I found him to be while researching my book on him in '97 to 2000. No doubt there are many creepy elements to Dennis, and one could fill a few chapters with them if turned loose, but there's also volumes of why he was wonderful, kind, generous, loyal, brave, and in many ways selfless. I didn't get this sense of balance between the two Dennis'. Just the creepy one. But the Brian that is painted by Peter must be the closest thing to "real" I've ever read. One pass through this book seemed to bring me closer to Brian than I've ever been. And its a complex place to be.

I've been holding back on commenting on Peter's book because I wanted to see what other people were saying first. I think I'm too familiar with the subject to be anything close to an objective reviewer. But my assessment was... I hugely enjoyed reading it, although I wish it had better fact checking. It was a much darker book than I expected...but also a more honest book than I expected. Most people won't notice or care about the jumbled details and they'll just enjoy what's good about it. Peter is a talented writer and he created something that entertains and informs, plus something that has its own unique style and point of view. Congrats to him on making it happen.   
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2006, 12:45:06 PM »

So for those of you who have gotten Peter's book and have read it, I have a question:

When my copy finally arrives (assuming it does--bloody Buy.com still hasn't shipped it!), will there be any reason to also get a copy of the Stephen Gaines book, "Heroes and Villains"?

Has Peter written the definitive book on this subject, or does the Gaines book fill in a lot of gaps not covered by Peter?

Thanks!

Glenn
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2006, 02:02:06 PM »

Hi guys: First of all, thanks to everyone for checking out the book, and reading it, and responding. That's as good as it gets for a writer, and I appreciate it more than you guys may know. So thanks.

I'm a little puzzled by Jon's references to my many factual errors, however. The Dennis stuff is a matter of interpretation, and so on, and while I'm surprised to think he sounded creepy (I think he was a good-hearted, brilliantly talented, very troubled man) I'm not going to get into that. And while I know I made a few gaffes here and there with details, I'm a little surprised to hear that the first part of the book is riddled with them. A lot of that material came straight out of the mouths of the people who actually lived the story -- Brian, Mike, Al, Dave, various  neighbors, friends, collaborators and so on. I talked to dozens of those people. Certainly, memories varied, and there were times I had to make a judgment call about what the actual truth seemed to be. So as ever, the "Rashomon" rule (everyone has their own version of what happened) seems to hold sway.

My main objective writing the book was always to tell Brian's story, and to explain the significance of his achievements both to pop music and to the larger context of American popular culture. Obviously I worked hard to get the details right -- and I think it's safe to say that the vast, vast majority of the details are correct -- but just as obviously, some mistakes slipped through. But it's the music, and its larger meaning, that matters the most to me.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2006, 12:06:28 PM »

Hi Peter, I had the chance to check out your book at a bookstore this past weekend. It looks great and reads very well. I'm going to order a copy later this week.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2006, 02:54:13 PM »

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1217918_7_0_,00.html

Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet...

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »

Just got Peter's book today and I think it is fan-f'in'-tastic. I don't understand people's complaints about errors (both factual and timeline wise). Some have even said to me through e-mails that we already know everything Peter talks about. SO freakin' what?Huh

I am a HUGE history buff. I must own 20-30 books on the Titanic, from it's sinking to it's discovery. Friends who don't understand my obsession with history say "Ship hit's an iceberg, ships sinks, 1500 people killed, 750 survive. How many different ways can you say this?"

ALOT! I know the survivor's stories. I know the stories of those whose family member's didn't survive, etc. Same with the BW/BB story. You know XYZ happened. You may know how X & Y feel about it. But along comes another book and he or she finds out how Z feels about it and maybe how it affected everyone involved. I am also extremly anal with facts concerning the BB. Bob Hanes will call and ask a question because I have this "affliction" for details. And every book and article written has some errors. EVERY SINGLE ONE! It is the number of them that makes or breaks the trust  of  the author in (at least this) reader's eyes.  And Peter's book is better than most with the facts.

And besides, what a GREAT READ! My hats off to Mr. Carlin!

Bob Flory
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx