gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:10:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Peter Ames Carlin Thread  (Read 215428 times)
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2006, 07:29:11 AM »

I had called my local Barnes & Noble on Monday to ask about your book.  The very helpful clerk took down my e-mail address and said that I would get notification when the book was available in the store.

Well, I got the following today:
Thank you for your order. Due to an unexpected delay, this part of your order is now scheduled to arrive 08/02/2006:
         1 copy of Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson, 1594863202

If you need to change this order in any way, please call us at the phone number below and reference the order number above. If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you still want to purchase this merchandise and will notify you when it arrives. Please accept our apologies for the delay.

For the record, Borders told me that they had a release date of 7/10 in their computer, but the books had not yet arrived in the store and they had no idea when they would be in.

***sigh***

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2006, 08:39:47 AM »

I've been waiting for this book since I first heard about it late last year.  So last weekend I ordered it from amazon.com.  ($10 cheaper then any book store would be.)  But now I got an e-mail saying it will ship in "1 to 3 weeks."  And I pre-ordered the thing!  They must have not received many copies.  I hope it comes soon!
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2006, 09:35:11 AM »

guys: I'm sorry about the delays. More sorry than you can imagine, because I myself don't really know what the solid dates actually are. See also my flailing around in the last few weeks on my blog at peteramescarlin.com.

But I did hear that books shipped a week or more ago. It could be that your local Borders -- and Amazon, for that matter -- will have copies before they're currently saying they are. It could also be that my Rodale sources are either misinformed or too optimistic. But the thing is out there, and headed your way. And thanks again for even caring.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2006, 07:24:38 PM »

My Amazon order still claims to be gonna ship this weekend, with an estimated delivery by Friday the 21st.  I will be folk festivaling through the weekend so i won't know exactly when it gets here, but i'm sure hoping it gets here soon!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48:50 PM »

Hang in there, people - the wait is worth it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »

I got mine from the Gurdian bookshop online, and have had it for over a week! Roll Eyes

I think its great! The only thing that peed me off was that the GUardian advertised it with the excellent big BW face cover (the US edition, I now realise) and it arrived with the crappy and inferior UK cover (WTF are these publishing dudes thinking of??!!??)

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2006, 08:08:12 AM »

Amazon is messed up.  It's telling me:
Delivery estimate: July 14, 2006 - July 18, 2006

But today is the 14th and it's telling me it hasn't been shipped yet.
Plus today, the website changed the book from "Ships in 1-2 weeks"
to "Ships in 2-3 weeks."   Huh?

Also, it tells me another item I ordered should arrive around
TEN DAYS FROM NOW, but their own tracking link tells me it
arrived in my state yesterday afternoon.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2006, 08:26:46 AM »

HMV in Glasgow's Sauchiehall St has copies, at about £14.99, hidden away at the back of ground floor...

“We live in divisive times.”
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »

Well guys, I don't know what to say about all that, except for that I had a drink with the exec editor of Rodale yesterday and he swore that all the books had shipped ten days ago, or so, and that they should be landing all around the country by now, though your results may vary depending on where you are, and so on.

And while I'm here, and in self-promotion mode, I'll point to a couple of recent reviews, one in this week's Entertainment Weekly (Pirates on the cover) and the next in next week's People (Vince and Jen on the cover). EW gave the book an 'A,' and People decreed four (out of four) stars.

Self-promotion is now officially over.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2006, 10:14:02 AM »

Was there a Guardian review?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2006, 11:00:43 AM »

perhaps i've missed the boat on this one, but what is the book going to cover? is there a link to somewhere i can see the chapter titles?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2006, 12:49:21 PM »

perhaps i've missed the boat on this one, but what is the book going to cover? is there a link to somewhere i can see the chapter titles?

Its called 'Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall and Redemption of the "Beach Boys" Brian Wilson', which should be something of a clue... Brian Wilson is the guy who wrote Smile... Smiley

I think its a great book (Peter!) and if I can find time I'd like to post a review here. I'd recommend anyone to buy it!

BJ

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2006, 10:17:32 PM »

wo...when did capt obvious step in? just playin...i just wanted to know if it went into depth of different albums or skipped a lot or whatever

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2006, 11:06:10 AM »

wo...when did capt obvious step in? just playin...i just wanted to know if it went into depth of different albums or skipped a lot or whatever

Sorry dude... I was just kinda taken aback by your question. Its a biography: if you like Brian Wilson, buy the book! Its better than one or two of the other recent BW-related publications, and its insight into, and empathy with Mr Wilson, is greater than any of the other books I'vre aread on the subject. Smiley Roll Eyes Azn

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2006, 11:23:47 AM »

Today I got an e-mail from amazon about the book, now saying:
Shipping estimate: July 14, 2006 - July 25, 2006
Delivery estimate: July 19, 2006 - August 2, 2006

But I don't put too much into that, because they are still
claiming next Friday is the earliest I'll get another book from
them that arrived yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 07:01:18 PM by TV Forces » Logged
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2006, 12:40:25 PM »

If TV Forces actually got an American copy of the book -- the big photo of Brian, witht he green, black and yellow flag design on the side -- I'm gonna drink even more beer tonight than I was already planning to drink.

And can I just say how sorry I am -- and probably even more aggrieved -- by this long game of delay and delay and delay? I don't really get it either, but all I can say now is that it looks like it's coming to an end and the actual book will actually exist in the actual world. And that will be a huge relief for me.

I'll also say that your ongoing interest in the book, despite all of the aforementioned, is hugely affirming for me. And I only hope the book comes close to living up to your expectations.

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2006, 12:57:21 PM »

I saw Entertainment Weekly gave the book an "A."

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2006, 02:25:42 PM »

My morning email from Amazon put the book's ship date off until 30 July...just increasing the anticipation, i guess!!

Peter, i'm sure none of us will be disappointed.  And it's not your apology to make - it's not YOUR fault the darned thing isn't shipping on time! 

Drink all the beer you want...
;-)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2006, 03:07:37 PM »

... but all I can say now is that it looks like it's coming to an end and the actual book will actually exist in the actual world.

It already does... on this side of the Atlantic.

w00t!

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »

AGD, you know I luv ya like crazy, but if you tell us one more time how the UK already has the book, I'm gonna...I'm gonna...do something.  I swear.  Really.  As soon as I think of something to do...  Roll Eyes

Peter, I hope that whoever is responsible for the delay in stores getting the book is beaten firmly with a rake.  Your book is getting great reviews--my mother just called to tell me that it got 4 stars in People--and it's not good for folks to seek out the book only to not find it. 

Of course, this is the Beach Boys were talking about here...what would any kind of related release be without some type of delay, confusion, conflicting info, etc. 
Come to think of it, speaking of AGD, I think we went through the same hassle of not being able to find the updated version of his book.  I happened to find it in Borders one day, while Amazon still insisted that it wasn't available!

Whenever it comes out, it will be worth it.  And it will be great if I get it in time to read on my next vacation, starting August 11th!

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2006, 07:00:22 PM »

i'm sorry if i somehow gave off the impression that i received the book already.
i haven't.

and i reread my post and i'm still not sure how someone came to that conclusion.
i still anxiously await it.

amazon seems to have changed the release date to the 28th or so.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2006, 09:24:12 PM »

I've been to at least 5-10 bookstores in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills area, and nothing so far, last night we asked a Barnes and Noble what they had as far as info, and the guy pulled up the info and right away said "Whoa, something weird is going on with this book." 
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2006, 10:18:17 PM »

Well geez, Josh - did he say anything else?  Like...what was weird?  Or when they might get it?  You've only told us half the story!  Waaaaaaaaaaa!!!  :-(

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2006, 10:28:10 PM »

I've been to at least 5-10 bookstores in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills area, and nothing so far, last night we asked a Barnes and Noble what they had as far as info, and the guy pulled up the info and right away said "Whoa, something weird is going on with this book." 

Not exactly a good sign, is it?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2006, 10:59:07 PM »

It was something like, they had ordered 16, but the allocation was not available due to limited supplies, the pub. date was still listed as late July, but the book had already been shipped?  In any case, no, not a good sign when the first thing the bookstore employee says "this is weird."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx