gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:37:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Peter Ames Carlin Thread  (Read 215016 times)
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 25, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »

I too greatly enjoyed the book, criticisms of MIU aside.   It was nice to hear the recollections of people such as Dave Sandler who previously have been ignored in other BB/ BW bios.  The numerous interviews and thoughtful analysis of Brian and his music contained within more than made up for any factual errors.  Thank you for taking the time to research and write this book.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: May 06, 2007, 08:32:14 AM »

Peter' book covers Brian's first LSD trip to some degree (Loren says it was an full ego death experience). This trip preceeded the writing of "California Girls."

Peter, were you able to gather any information about any of Brian's other LSD trips or possibly an acid flashback?

These events made for some choice reading in the dis-credited bio, but never surface in any other Brian Wilson literature.

This is strange, especially since these later LSD events would seem to be important influences on PET SOUNDS, "Good Vibration," and SMiLE.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 06, 2007, 01:15:30 PM »

hi bill: everyone I talked to who knew Brian back in those days said that LSD barely figured into his drug use. He took a few trips here and there, but was far more into speed and pot, which were a lot easier to come by. And if any drug contributed to his emotional/psychological malaise it almost certainly was the amphetamines....which are far more caustic to a person's psyche (and can in fact lead to temporary psychosis, if taken in quanitity over time) than occasional doses of LSD or regular marijuana use.

I'm sure his occasional LSD experiences had an impact on him, and may have led him to see things in different ways, perhaps even for weeks or months at a time. But I'd have a hard time saying it had altered his thinking for the long haul.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: May 07, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »

Peter,

It sure seems that Brian wasn't letting too many people in on what those other two (or so) LSD trips were all about. Same goes for the acid flashback noted in the discredited bio.

Brian indicated (to writer Tom Nolan) that his musical direction for "Good Vibrations" and Dumb Angel (SMiLE) was due to what he learned as a result of two LSD experiences. It would seem key to learn more about these experiences in order to explain "GV" and SMiLE better.

What you say about the toll of amphetamine use is very interesting.

It would therefore seem that if there is any problem with Brian discussing his other LSD trips; that problem isn't likely due to anything psychological but perhaps may be due to the different way he saw things as the result of LSD.

Thanks Peter.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 02, 2007, 02:33:22 AM »

Peter,
          I am just now reading your book, and I love it. Although I was a little bit saddened to read about the relationship between Brian and Carl never really "healing" in time before Carl passed. Particularly about Carl refusing to tour Pet Sounds in the 1990's with Brian in the group because Brian "lost his voice". Considering these new "revelations", along with the overall process of writing a BB's book, did you ever become jaded with the group? What I mean is, was the status of  your "fandom" changed at all?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 04, 2007, 08:13:32 AM »

hi Jay: Thanks for your note. I'm delighted you found the book. Regarding the status of my fandom....good question. I think every biographer comes away from the project feeling a little burned out on their subject. The never-ending strife and tragedy in and around the BW/BB orbit doesn't help much in this regard. The feuding is particularly tiresome, of course. And of course you end up learning stuff that you can't put into print, for one reason or another, that is even darker and stranger than what does end up on the page (though all that info sifts out between the lines, I think). So yeah, I've spent the last year or so NOT listening to the Beach Boys and Brian very much. Or at all. And maybe that evens things up for the months/years I spent listening to not much but that stuff.

But I'll tell you what sparked my interest anew a few weeks ago: Hearing "Midnight's Another Day" for the first time. Lovely, lovely song. And even if that's the only great thing on 'Lucky Old Sun," it's still worth the price of admission.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 04, 2007, 09:10:06 AM »

Nice to see you here, Peter.  I enjoyed your book very much.  I agree with you re: Midnight's Another Day.  That is a fine song, better than anything Brian has done in a long time.  If an official recording of the piece is released, I will buy it the day it comes out.  Thanks again for a fine book.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 05, 2008, 05:47:49 AM »

Heard the voice of Peter Carlin on NPRs "Weekend Edition Saturday" this morning where he discussed TV with host Scott Simon.

www.npr.org
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 08, 2008, 06:18:25 AM »

Peter, I don't know if you come around here anymore, but I bought your book back in September of '06, read the whole thing front to back in one night, and I've re-read it countless times since. I still can't put it down. I found a lot out about the Beach Boys I hadn't previously known, and learned a lot more of the details of things that were only mentioned in passing in other books (I've never read David Leaf's or Steven Gaines' books, though I plan on it). Thanks for writing such a great book. Catch a Wave should be the book that the next Brian/BB movie is based on.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 21, 2008, 01:15:12 PM »

Hi, ASC, and thanks. I do visit here, semi-regulalrly, and in fact was hoping/trying to respond to your note a couple of weeks back but then I was having some technical difficulties....I couldn't get myself signed in. Weird. I was in the UK at the time, and was wondering if it had to do with the pixels going down the left side of the wire....but that might not have been it.

Anyway, thanks. And yeah, I'm eager to see the movie when/if it appears. There was a time, funnily enough, when 'CAW" was in fact going to be part of the source material for the movie. But then that time ended, and la-dee-dah, life goes on.

I'm still happy about the book, though. Happier still you took the time to say nice things about it. Thanks for that.

pac
dsl
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: April 21, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »

Peter, I loved the book as well. It was a magnificent, fun read. I've used it to help give a speech on The Boys in the '70s for a communications class.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 22, 2008, 05:34:58 AM »

Thanks to you too, DSL. THough in the spirit of the topic at hand I think I should sic my lawyers on you for using my stuff as source material for your class. Fie on you! And see ya in court.

Just kidding. I'm honored.

More seriously though, did anyone see or discuss Barney Hoskyns' piece in Uncut on Mike Love? It's an interview, basically pulling Mike's strings and letting him go. Hoskyns is a really good writer and a really smart guy, his book on Laurel Canyon from the other year was magnificent. And yet he seems almost willfully naive on Mike. Lets him make all his usual assertions about how he was never as sour or angry as all that (I never ridiculed 'Pet Sounds,' I never opposed 'Smile,' I never tried to humiliate Brian') and then BH comes away saying that he can't help but love the guy. Which is very generous and sweet, and I don't go in for stone hatred of (most) anyone. But I think it's also possible to have sympathy for Mike while also noting how aggressive and angry his behavior can be. The perfect example: His desperate need to sue Brian for "BWPS," come hell or high water. Which case was eventually thrown from court, of course, but only after darkening many months of what should have been a nonstop celebration for BW and his family and friends. Say what you will about so many BW-related projects and events...."BWPS" deserved to be a triumph, untrammeled by such petty shite. And Mike saw to it that it wasn't. And that, I'm sorry, is the opposite of Lovable. Though it's very Love-ian. And that's sad.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 22, 2008, 06:05:12 AM »

Well said, Peter.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 23, 2008, 04:35:53 AM »

Hi, ASC, and thanks. I do visit here, semi-regulalrly, and in fact was hoping/trying to respond to your note a couple of weeks back but then I was having some technical difficulties....I couldn't get myself signed in. Weird. I was in the UK at the time, and was wondering if it had to do with the pixels going down the left side of the wire....but that might not have been it.

Anyway, thanks. And yeah, I'm eager to see the movie when/if it appears. There was a time, funnily enough, when 'CAW" was in fact going to be part of the source material for the movie. But then that time ended, and la-dee-dah, life goes on.

I'm still happy about the book, though. Happier still you took the time to say nice things about it. Thanks for that.

pac

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me and to every one else here, when you never really had to in the first place. I appreciate it, and I bet a lot of others here appreciate it, too.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

dsl
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: April 23, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

pac

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me and to every one else here, when you never really had to in the first place. I appreciate it, and I bet a lot of others here appreciate it, too.

I second that.
I'm really happy to see you respond, plus please don't sue me! I'm only a poor college student, so you won't get too much out of me! Grin
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:52 AM »

pac

I second that.
I'm really happy to see you respond, plus please don't sue me! I'm only a poor college student, so you won't get too much out of me! Grin
I think an academic project with the sources properly cited would be fair use, but then again, I'm no lawyer, so don't quote me on that.

Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 26, 2008, 07:37:47 AM »

I was kidding, right? Everyone knew I was kidding? See, the point was, once upon a time there were these cousins, friends and brothers, and first they got famous, and then they got rich, and then they spent the rest of their lives suing one another, often for no discernible reason....and so....oh, never mind.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 27, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »

Right you are, of course, Peter. Mike Love was/is a kill-joy. The light that you present his bitterness towards Brian during the time of BWPS's release and concerts and afterglow justs bolsters the argument against those who think any kind of a reunion would be possible.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 02, 2008, 02:19:45 AM »

Can I first say that I am currently reading 'Catch A Wave', and that I am hugely enjoying it? It is unputdownable. Well-written, and with really lots of new info... after all the BBs literature, I'd never thought that anyone could come up anymore with a book like this. So: hats off to PAC.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 02, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »

This week I've been reading Catch a Wave for the upteenth time, and I still can't put it down.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 02, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »

This week I've been reading Catch a Wave for the upteenth time, and I still can't put it down.

Seconded. I pondered why this is. Not only is it exceedingly well written without any elitist topping, so to speak. But Carlin achieves the nigh on impossible: he obviously has a deep love for BW and his music. The great risk then is that you tend to gloss over the less wonderful aspects, paint him as a heroic survivor only, without detailing, for instance, Brian's detachment in social contexts. Carlin does both: praise the immense achievements, and tell painful details. No small feat.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 02, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »

hey boys: thanks so much. I'm always delighted to hear about people reading the book, and when they come away feeling like it was a worthwhile experience, well, obviously that's better yet. So thanks for that.

Good timing, too -- i'm neck deep in a new book now, about Paul McCartney, and so I'm in the midst of the same struggle I was in the midst of when wrestling with "CAW." Encouragement is always welcome.

I'd hate to write one of those books where in the author seems to loathe his subject. For me the trick is to both humanize the subject and celebrate his achievements. . . though of course this means you also need to acknowledge his failures. No one is perfect, just as no one is perfectly awful. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and it's the combination of these things, and how they both fuel and detract from a person's work, that fascinates me.

Anyway, thanks again. Back to work...
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 02, 2008, 12:55:44 PM »

Good timing, too -- i'm neck deep in a new book now, about Paul McCartney, and so I'm in the midst of the same struggle I was in the midst of when wrestling with "CAW." Encouragement is always welcome.

Interesting. I look forward to reading that one.  Are you writing it with the cooperation of McCartney? That is, did you interview him for it, as you interviewed Brian for Catch a Wave?  I always think of McCartney as someone who likes to have control over projects related to him, so I'm interested in how involved he is, if at all (even if he's not I have no doubt that yours will be a balanced portrait of him).
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 11, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »

I wonder if Paul read Catch a Wave...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 13, 2008, 11:42:14 AM »

Peter, I 'm looking forward to the McCartney book.   I take it you've perused the other bios before starting.

What is your opinion of the Barry Miles book?    I recall reading it a few years ago and finding it enjoyable.
A lot of fun details of different places and times that I had not read.  I recall a section covering Paul's time living with the Ashers as especially entertaining and revealing of the man, and as a delightful glimpse into the early days that had not been covered in the books I've seen.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx